VIDEO The Sony PSP & PS Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by ps2_jedi, Oct 12, 2004.

1. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Bottomline: $250 is A LOT of $$$ [face_money_eyes] [face_money_eyes]

And the games for PSP is mostly $49.99 while DS is only $39.99

You have to pay rent, etc you don't have a lot of money to get this.

I have decided to NOT get a PSP yet, I am going to wait until price DROPS!!!

DO NOT get this if you already have a Laptop
    (if you want to watch Videos? Use YOUR Laptop)
  2. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    I couldn't care less about handheld gaming, but I do find the fact that the PSP has picked up steam in Japan kind of amusing. As things are now the PSP is outselling all combined Nintendo hardware on a weekly basis in Japan. Ouch! The DS still holds the lead from their launch but at the rate the PSP is outperforming the DS in terms of sales, that gap is shrinking.

The PSP's biggest stumbling block in North America is going to be the bundles that are being forced on consumers. The PSP alone, already has a high price tag. Being forced to buy two games, a SM2 UMD and various gear all in one shot will probably deter people.
  3. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    What I wanna know is if you can record to UMD?

BTW DS coming soon with Nice graphics.

[image=http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/52720050319_201212_0_big.jpg]

[image=http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/52720050319_201212_0_big.jpg]

ABOUT TIME!!!
  4. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    ..it's too little too late from Nintendo..

I'm one of those folks who actually bought a DS at Launch.. Yesterday, after having not touched the thing in literally 3 months, i took it in and traded it for credit to put towards a PSP...

Nintendo COMPLETELY dropped the ball here. I've been a diehard supporter of their portable systems since the original Gameboy back in 1989, but when we're 4 months in, and the most fun thing i have to do with the system is STILL play the Metroid demo that came with it.. Well, that's just not acceptable.

I'll wait a couple months for Sony to work out the bugs (i learned my lesson with the PS2 not to buy a product at launch), but by the end of the summer, i will own a PSP, and i won't look back...
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    However, by the end of the summer, wouldn't the DS title availablity by that point in time nullify your reasons for switching in the first place?
  6. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Yoshi's Touch and Go.
    Wario Ware Touched.

Thats all you need.
  7. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    But I feel like a Middle school boy playing these Kiddy games!!
  8. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    Wai-wha? You aren't a middle school boy? Interesting.

I'd love to get a PSP...but $250 is just too steep a price tag at this juncture. Would be cool as hell to own one, though. Metal Gear Acid looks incredible.
  9. MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I have never had ANY problems at all with any systems / products regarding games at launch

The PSP will be MINE

Come Thursday
  10. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    However, by the end of the summer, wouldn't the DS title availablity by that point in time nullify your reasons for switching in the first place?

What titles are slated to be out for the DS by then?

Most of the games that i had any interest in aren't slated to come out until October/November. Stuff like "Mariokart DS" and "Advance Wars DS"..

Originally, when i first bought the system, those were scheduled to be out sooner then that (like March/April). When the dates got pushed back....Well, i'm wondering why the hell i bought the system, ya know?

Yoshi's Touch and Go.
    Wario Ware Touched.

Thats all you need.

Honestly, it's all a matter of taste. For some people, i'm sure those titles ARE enough to warrant the system. From what i understand, many theorize that the whole reason the DS was developed was for the WarioWare series.

Personally, i just don't get the appeal of those games. They seem like a complete waste of money to me. Something i might rent for one night just to try, but that i REALLY have no use for, otherwise..

Gyakuten Saiban (that lawyer game) was ALMOST enough to get me to hold out for my DS. That game sounded like something that might have been truly innovative.. interesting.. Then i heard that it was just basically a port of a japanese GBA game..

I look at the upcoming lineup of games that i want to play for the DS..

Then i look at the LAUNCH games for the PSP that i want to play.

There's just no comparison. PSP will have more games at LAUNCH that interest me then the DS will have for the entirety of 2005.

I have never had ANY problems at all with any systems / products regarding games at launch

Ha, see, i'm one of the many that had an issue with a Launch-Ps2 lens. Had to send it back to Sony to have it fixed.

After hearing about all of the problems with the Square button not functioning properly and the Disc-tray random-eject thing, i'm weary of picking up a PSP at launch. Hopefully you won't have any problems (Sony's had more then enough time to fix the issue for the NA launch!) but, i'm being cautious about this one...
  11. jollydwarf Jedi Master

star 4
    If I do buy one at Best Buy and don't buy it specifically to throw back up on eBay new 24-48 hours later (I'm a ******* like that), I'm going to buy the 3-year extended warranty. It may run $30-$50 dollars (not sure), but it'll be so worth the investment.

They really don't ask too many questions (if any) with their protection programs. If you say it doesn't work, and they can't find anything to the contrary at the Customer Service counter, then it's as good as replaced A.S.A.P. It's not like a PC where they'll try to fix it first.

I think the biggest issue with these won't be hardware issues, but instead...

...drumroll...

THEFT. Hot handheld gaming system + $250 value + idiot kids showing off at school (K-College) = lots of cursing and crying. I guaran-*******-tee it.
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>Originally, when i first bought the system, those were scheduled to be out sooner then that (like March/April). When the dates got pushed back....Well, i'm wondering why the hell i bought the system, ya know?<<

Ah, I wasn't aware it had been pushed back- I was gonna cite that and Metroid Hunters.
  13. Ryan_Kaufman DHC Author & Former LucasArts Content Supervisor

VIP
    star 3
    Now having had my hands on both, and playing games for both...

PSP, hands-down. There's absolutely no question.

It's like the difference between playing PS1 games on a tiny t.v. and PS2 games on a plasma widescreen.

Now... if only I can scrape together the money.
  14. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  15. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Hmmmm...

Not much interest on this board.
  16. MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling

star 5
    < < < leaving in one hour to head to his gamestop
  17. MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling

star 5
    This thing is AWESOME all you Sony haters STINK
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Have they established what the battery lifetime is on this thing?
  19. ps2_jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    /\ 4-10 hours from my understanding.
    anyways a little update on my situation,
    parents made me get the DS back and I can get my PSP in the summer, by them meybe some buggies will be fixed and such and maybe we'll get the standard pack by then too
  20. jollydwarf Jedi Master

star 4
    Have they established what the battery lifetime is on this thing?

From the official instruction manual:

Game: Approximately 3-6 hours

Video playback: Approximately 3-5 hours

"It takes approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes to fully charge the batteries using the AC adaptor after the battery has run out."

(I know I've been posting too much...I reflexively wanted to "Control-C" the manual's text!)

This thing is AWESOME all you Sony haters STINK

Yeah, that kind of diplomacy'll get the fanboys to unite once and for all.
  21. pgoodyea Jedi Knight

star 1
    I read somewhere that there is an accessory that is about a third of the size of the PSP that acts as a subsequent battery/charger. This will extend the battery by about another 5 hrs, which should cover anybody on a airplane or out of reach from a power outlet. I do not know how much it costs.
  22. jollydwarf Jedi Master

star 4
    You're almost definitely talking about the Power Brick. It was $19.99 at Best Buy today. God, being let into that place right when the doors open for a launch...I almost felt like Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp should've been the guide.
  23. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    What about this???

Internet Browsing on a PSP!!!

[image=http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/4192211565476411.JPG]

HOT!!!

Yo, Cheap memory Sticks!!!

http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/18943039/
  24. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I haven't even played the PSP and I already like it more than the DS.
  25. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Until a few weeks(or a few minutes) after you purchase it, when you notice a dead pixel on the LCD screen or the unit makes a whirring noise and the message "Disc Read Error" appears on the screen.