main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Sony PSP & PS Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ps2_jedi, Oct 12, 2004.

1. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    How have the sales been? Abysmal in my area. The store I work at has sold...2.

2. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Apparently sales have been far from impressive so far. Check out IGN PSP for some info on that.

The current lineup of games doesn't blow me away, but right now I'm very happy with my PSP.

3. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Less than the DS?

I'll assume it's at least beating nokia's hunk of crap.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Tried one out the other day. As a gaming platform, with the current lineup, I'm not that impressed (it's basicly a portable PS2, which collects dust at home) but it does have some potential, even with the battery lifetime drawbacks.

The video playback being on a new format also kinda sucks (I've already bought Stargate on DVD 3 times, I don't need to buy it again ;) ).

However, the one thing that did impress upon me was that, to a certain degree, this is along the lines of a device I've been saying for 7 years that Apple should have come out with- a portable QT player.

Now I know the PSP doesn't play QT but seeing the demo disc at Best Buy playing film trailers instantly reminded me of the idea- Apple seriously needs to just slap a decent screen like this onto a firewire hard drive with a couple headphone jacks and you'd fnally b able to tote film trailers and other media along with you.

Thankfully Apple seems to be starting to lean in this direction with the iPod Photo, so maybe in another generation or two of that device we'll finally get somthing like that.

Anyways, so yeah- the PSP has potential, but for now, it's reminding me of potentially more useful and exciting devices that other companies should be coming out with ;)

5. Mc-Lan

Mc-Lan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2003
    Hmmm.... only 3 to 5 hours? Are they planning on making a better battery? How long is the DS's battery life?

This post made possible by Mc-Lan :cool:

6. Jango_Bebop

Jango_Bebop Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2004
    I saw it in person for the first time today and was really impressed. The screen is huge, the graphics are awesome on the games, and the amount/types of media you can put on it is impressive. He had a bunch of music videos, a family guy episode, and the movie "Don't Be a Menace" all stored on it. The clerk said there was a 1 gig memeory stick option.

I wasn't going to get one at all but now I am toying with the idea.

7. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ....see, i figure you can attribute it not selling as well to the fact that DS had Christmas, Sony hasn't had that yet.

I have to admit to being stunned when i walked into Zellers (canadian Wal-mart equivalent) and seeing an entire case full of them two days after launch..

Then again, i was able to do that with the DS, as well, so i suppose that's not indicative of anything.

I still have seen more posts related to the PSP on internet message boards then i have for the DS..

If i recall, GBA was a slow-starter too. They just have to find that one game that's a MUST OWN..(As much as people try to convince me, i refuse to believe that LUMINES is that game. Am i the only one who's bored of Tetris-clones?)

8. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I was at Target the other day, and the person working at the games section said that the PSP was awesome, but about 10 have been brought back already, and it has been out for only a week! 10!

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Perhaps that has to do with the dead pixel issues people have been talking about?

From what I've sene, it hasn't been a hot seller so far for the most- certainly not hard to get at the very least, most stores around here still have a ton in stock, compared to the DS launch when those were freaking impossible to find anywhere.

I think the price and battery lifetime is gonna end up being the major deterants to PSP sales.

10. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    How have the sales been? Abysmal in my area. The store I work at has sold...2

Even worse in my Wal-Mart. Close to 500 people walked in and out. They sold one and the guy who bought it took it back.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyone catch the Soutb Park episode? "The Sony PSP was made by God to select the chosen one to lead Heaven's armies against the forces of Hell" lol!

12. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
    Anyone catch the Soutb Park episode? "The Sony PSP was made by God to select the chosen one to lead Heaven's armies against the forces of Hell" lol!

Some Sony exec dumped a giant load of money on somebody's porch for that.

13. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    So far things are looking pretty good for the PSP.

"We believe that the PSP has come close to shipping its target 1 million units in North America, with a range of 475,000 to 575,000 sold to date in the U.S. with roughly another 250,000 to 300,000 in the channel," wrote McNealy, who said he still believes Sony will sell 4.5 million to 5.5 million PSPs in North America this calendar year.

To put things into perspective.

The DS sold 500, 000 in the first week of release in North America. This was during the holdiay season.

The PSP did the same amount of business in the same amount of time. And that was during a slow point for hardware, costing 100 dollars more and the mandatory bundels that were shoved down peoples throats.

And over in Japan the PSP is outselling all Nintendo hardware combined. Thats the GBA, Gamecube and DS all at once. The PSP has been doing that for sometime now.

PSP - 46,307

NDS - 26,537
    GBA - 616
    GC - 4,245
    GBA SP - 14,596
    Total: 45, 994
    :eek:

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    You know I can make up numbers too

Weekly Sales

DS - 55,825
    PSP - 43,043
    PS2 - 40,398
    GBASP - 14,904
    GC - 4,568
    GBA - 653
    Xbox - 406

http://www.m-create.com/

Japan only.

15. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Umm... those numbers were not made up. Hate to burst your buble.

And the only reason the DS jumped in sales was because Nintendo introduced a different colored DS. Give it a couple weeks and those sale will go right back to what they were. ;)

This is what Media create had to say about the spike in DS sales.

"In the hardware market, the launch of new colors for DS led to the first gains in quite some time. Nevertheless, there were no outstanding trends among platforms aside from DS, and it appears that the increase in sales was nothing more than temporary growth due to the launch of new colors."

16. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
    Umm... those numbers were not made up. Hate to burst your buble.

Yeah. Wich is why CNN money the PSP was doing poorly.

17. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Eh. I'm not buying a PSP til that one Final Fantasy game comes out for it. Waste of money for me til then.

18. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah. Wich is why CNN money the PSP was doing poorly.

You call pulling in the same launch numbers as the DS outside of the holiday season, poor? [face_laugh] That must mean the DS did pretty bad for a system that cost 100 dollars less. ;)

19. ps2_jedi

ps2_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    no but I wanna can you post a link?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No I can't- South Park episodes aren't legally available online (though no doubt they can be acquired via bittorrent or somesuch).

21. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002

I normally don't watch South Park, but it was on last night so I watched I saw it last night, it was pretty funny, the Gold PSP.

22. ps2_jedi

ps2_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    No I can't- South Park episodes aren't legally available online (though no doubt they can be acquired via bittorrent or somesuch).
    Ok well I'll have to keep an eye out for the show what episode was it?

23. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    My brother really wants one of these. And hey, if he gets one, I'll use it. :p

I like the commerical because it has the Franz Ferdinand song.

24. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    My dad bought me a PSP as a present, I got it today. I have to say I totally love it. :)

25. jedi-killah

jedi-killah Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I like that I'll get a DS instead.