VIDEO The Sony PSP & PS Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by ps2_jedi, Oct 12, 2004.

1. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I was having a look on ebay for PSP games and I noticed that there are a few sellers with GT4. Does anyone have it? I'd like to know if it's like the console version. I read some reviews of GT and it was a huge let down. If GT4 is anything like GT2 for the PSX then I'll definitely have to get it.
  2. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    So Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep was released in Japan yesterday, and there's still not so much as a release period set for the US. :(
  3. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Was the Lego Star Wars complete saga ever released for the PSP? All I can seem to find is Lego Star Wars 2.
  4. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Unfortunately not. The only Lego Star Wars released for the PSP was the Original Trilogy.
  5. _Spartan-117_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Indeed. I have recently heard about a new silent hill installment made for the system(Shattered Mem??). Has anyone played it yet? 'Cause I have the wii ver. and like the way it makes you wet yourself.(I just hope Konami doesnt black-mail me someday)
  6. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I have a weird question, I guess. I'm playing through the Tekken: Dark Resurrection story games and I've unlocked the 'Jinpachi Epilogue' video, which is pretty cool, but I can't figure out how to unlock the video in which he dies. I don't know how I did it the first time either. Google hasn't helped at all.
  7. divinerose Jedi Knight

star 1
    I still haven't bought a PSP yet! I was hoping that the PSPgo would lower the price of the actual PSP, but I haven't seen that yet.

I'll just keep on holding out until Birth By Sleep comes out in the US, which apparently seems to be this late summer/early fall, Reynar-Tedros. I hope they release the special PSP bundle for it that Japan has.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  9. _Spartan-117_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Something good happened in Japan. Capcom just had a press meeting announcing MonsterHunterPortable3rdG.
    Anyone here ever heard of Monster Hunter?
  10. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I played the demo of Freedom Unite, and I didn't like it. I found the camera angle and movements hard to control and at times I couldn't even see what I was trying to kill.

I'm looking for a new RPG, anyone got any suggestions? I like the character customisation in the Mass Effect and KotOR games, so maybe something like that?
  11. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Is the PSP dying? I know one Game store that doesn't sell new PSP games, though there is another Game store in the area and that one still does. I'm still waiting for Lego Harry Potter to be released for the PSP even though it was released nearly a month ago for every other console ever and it was the only release to be affected. And then there's the new Bond games that are out for the DS but not the PSP. Call me a cynic but these don't seem like good signs to me.
  12. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4
    There are rumors of a PSP2 to be announced at the Tokyo game show later this year. I'm not sure how accurate they are, because I think there was a similar expectation at E3.

I love the PSP. I've had my PSP for three years and I play it nearly every day, even if it's just for a few minutes to kill a little time. The fact is, though, that the PSP never was as successful as Sony wanted it to be, and the PSPgo was an unmitigated disaster. I think that Sony is letting it die a slow but dignified death (see the releases of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Birth By Sleep), but the release of the 3DS early next year will signal the official end.
  13. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    It's a shame. I love my PSP too and there are lots of games that I want for it. It's already hard to find games that aren't that old, so I can imagine it only getting harder.

There are a lot of 'concept' pictures for the PSP2, I doubt any of them are real, especially the one that just looks like a 3DS without the nubs.
  14. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I've been playing Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command a lot lately. As a fan of the board game, I'm absolutely loving it.

I've also got GTA: Chinatown Wars, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, and Soul Calibur, incoming too.

Hmmm, I really should finish the other Kingdom Hearts games. [face_thinking]
  15. THE EVIL CLIFFIE Force Ghost

star 2
    If you enjoy Squad Commmand, you might enjoy Valkyria Chronicles 2. It's different, but it has some quite good tactical elements, and a great story. You might need to look on wiki if you haven't played the first one, which was only released on PS3, for the story, though.
  16. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    I also highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles 2, a very good tactical RPG. Also, if you have a PS3, you must get the first Valkyria Chronicles. And if you don't have a PS3, go out and get one and then play the first VC, which is better than VC2, not just because its a console game, but the story, art, etc. The gameplay is arguable as VC2 has quite a few interesting ideas, just that VC2 is also a lot more... lighthearted at times. And VC provides a lot of background, although in VC2 they usually have an in-game encyclopedia that at least briefly explains most terms and in-world history.

Also, Valkyria Chronicles 3 will be out in Japan soon-ish, also on the PSP (sadly no news of the VC series returning to PS3 anytime sono) and I really hope they translate that too (and it looks to be the darkest VC yet).
  17. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I've heard about VC2 and I'm not convinced. What I liked about WH40K:SC was that I could move, attack, and then move out of line of sight/attack range/etc in one turn. I could also attack multiple times if I needed to. VC2 seems like you move and set up an attack for the end of your turn and then see what happens.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta is great though. I'm having a blast with that. It's easier than the first in that I'm not struggling on 'normal' difficulty, so yay for that.
  18. THE EVIL CLIFFIE Force Ghost

star 2
    You can do that in VC2. When you take control of a soldier, you move them around the battlefield as far as their AP will allow. You can enter aim mode whenever you like, and fire. Depending on range and facing, your enemy may then fire back. You can then move away. The firing in the enemy's turn is just units being put on overwatch.
  19. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, Valkyria Chronicles combat actually is kind of like what you described as liking. Each turn you're given a certain amount of CP (Command Points), and you spend them to move your characters around the map, then they can attack, or heal or just hide too. Then you can spend another CP for the same character to attack again (if you want), move them away (although the second time the character can't move as far), etc. Also, whenever an enemy soldier sees you, they will fire as long as your character is moving, but when its the computer's turn, your soldiers also fire at any enemies they see as well. What's the term for this kind of game again? Real-time strategy RPG or something like that? Or was it tactical? Oh well, either way, its quite fun. And the art style is just very good, unless that kind of anime style isn't to your taste, but the graphics engine, even ported down from the PS3 to the PSP, still looks quite pretty.
  20. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    'Turn based strategy' is what Squad Command is, and it sounds like VC2 is that as well.

Maybe I'll give it a try then.
  21. THE EVIL CLIFFIE Force Ghost

star 2
    I haven't actually played VC2 yet, but based on the original on PS3, you definately won't regret it.
  22. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have played both VC1 and VC2 and... well, VC2 isn't quite as good as the first VC, but its still a good game, and I'd recommend it for most PSP owners, as long as you don't hate anime cliches too much, as the game's quite heavy with them. I'm an anime fan, so I don't mind that kind of story (I actually like it a lot actually), but it depends on your taste. Although it helps that I was a fan of the original VC, so there are several links to the first one, not to mention getting to see some old characters again, so nostalgia helps, but based on reviews, its still quite a good game, especially for a portable one.
  23. _Spartan-117_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah the story was too frivolous for my taste... For 30 bucks I guess it was ok..

I wish sony would make another online syphon filter...even if Gabe died...
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Sony NGP (Next Generation Portable)

[image=http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/01/glance.jpg]

The Full Specs

* CPU: ARM® Cortex?-A9 core (4 core)
    * GPU: SGX543MP4+
    * External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
    * Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
    * Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
    * Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
    * Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
    * Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
    * Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

The Games

Sony showcased a handful of games alongside the reveal of the new PSP, including new titles Little Deviants, Reality Fighters and Gravity Daze, plus games based on the following PlayStation franchises.

* Uncharted
    * Killzone
    * WipeOut
    * Resistance
    * LittleBigPlanet
    * Hustle Kings
    * Hot Shots Golf

While, much like the original PSP, the stats are impressive (they're trying to make this a portable PS3, while the PSP was a portable PS2), I'm still not too thrilled about the design. Beyond the abandonment of UMD, it doesn't look like they learned any of their lessons from the PSP/DS match-up- With exception to the touchpad on the back (which promises some neat possibilities), there's nothing really new here, conceptually.

And I really can't fathom why there's no kind of built-in screen cover or clam shell. That was one of the major design flaws of the original- I'm surprised they didn't address it.
  25. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    My first thought was 'OMG that's frikkin' awesome!' and it's quickly tapered away to just 'meh'. As far as I can see, it doesn't actually say how it'll get the games onto it, and I really don't like download only games. What made the DS so great was that if you got an original DS you could keep all your games as you upgraded the console. If you had an old PSP and a lot of games for it then getting a PSP Go was the biggest waste of money ever. My biggest problem with download only games is that I can't look through all the games I've got and think 'I haven't played that in a long time' and just play it, if it's not already on the device then I'd have to download it if there's space and when that's done I might not want to play it any more. I really think that Sony should bring back the UMD, or am I the only person who actually likes it?

Also, my first thought when I saw the new thread title was 'wait, what? Neo-Geo Pocket in the PSP thread? :eek:' and then I read the last post.