main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Airline Disaster Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    CNN Is saying that flight 370 was deliberately flown toward the Andaman Islands. Again, if true the question is why?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nothing I'm reading (other than The Mirror) is suggesting a deliberate flying towards the Andamans; only that that was the last heading of the plane according to some stories which, of course, may be totally coincidental.

This whole thing is already weird enough. We really don't need extra speculation until we get some concrete answers...

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It's okay, though. In a few months, Charlie will manage to make a brief contact with Penny so she knows to go looking for the island.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's fair...

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    For the ratings, of course.

Oh, were you talking about flight 370?

Darth Guy and dp4m like this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm starting to think we'll be talking about this 70+ years from now like Amelia Earhardt's disappearance.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

And in the mean time, there will be movies about an airliner being abducted by aliens or falling into a wormhole, or some such nonsense.....

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Pretty much.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Fox is fueling the terrorist theories by saying that the plane's communications may have been shut down deliberately.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think the 777 flew to the mall. ******* pilot took up TWO parking spaces and didn't use his blinkers.

darth fluffy and Juliet316 like this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Saw that. To be fair, its not just FOX, as much as we like to bash them. Its anyone trying to get a rating anywhere.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, CNN is saying the same thing, that the transponders may been deliberately turned off.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Pretty sure they flew to Norway because a vacation is really nice there at this time of the year. It has many interesting furry animals too. Although, a moose bit my sister once.

Saintheart likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Plus we need to keep in mind that these are the same news organizations that reported nonsense about the Boston Marathon bombing, who freak out over the DPRK's annual tantrum, who manage to blow the Ukraine situation out of proportion, and who immediately assume terrorism in everything bigger than a fender bender. And ratings/pageviews really aren't the only reason this happens.

Also, like us, the vast majority are laypeople when it comes to aviation. I don't know how the transponder could have gone off by accident or otherwise have a non-hijacking cause, but I also didn't know frost on the airspeed sensors of an Airbus can mess them up. And neither did the media. It was terrorism. Fear. Fear! FEAR!

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If the plane did land and it was a hijacking, next question is was it hijacked for the plane or the passengers? If the former, there isn't any need to keep over 200 prisoners.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well what kind of passengers would they be? Financially well off?

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If there was a hijacking for ransom then I would expect a few financially well-off passengers. That's why I don't think this is that. If it were I'd have thought Western Europeans or Americans would be more of a target than Malaysians and Chinese.

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lmao that this is still "news"

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    CNN is reporting that the search grid has been narrowed to two boxes, one in the Bay of Bengal and a second in the Indian Ocean.

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

Huh, this attitude reminds me of something...

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

NSFW,but....[face_laugh]

22. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Maybe they should search JJ's mystery box.

Six likes this.
  23. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I think is not amussing the whole thing.
    Can you imaging the worry from family members from all the passengers who disappeared during the weird disapearences?

No knowing where they are?

The moments of fear from everyone who was aboard before what ever happened on the plane.

Who knows how long they are going to need to finally to find the plane.

MrZAP and Sarge like this.
  24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I wouldn't necessarily appreciate people making jokes referencing a series that ended five years ago to my face over and over again, no. But, ignoring the fact that I have no cultural ties to China or Malaysia (the nationalities of the majority of the passengers), I don't think knowing my loved one(s) is 99.999% likely dead vs. knowing for sure that the body lies under a few thousand feet of water would make much difference to me in my grief.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I used to operate the transponder on the C-130, and I can't imagine any way to turn it off accidentally. I suppose if the crew were hypoxic, they may have switched it off while thinking they were doing something else, but even that is a stretch. I've had hypoxia in the altitude chamber and I can't imagine myself doing anything like that.