main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Special Relationship" where does it go now and other such questions?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by G-FETT, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm going to start this thread with an Econmost poll and article Some very interesting differance's and similaraities with the US and UK are highlited in this poll. One result that surprised me is that the Americans are keener on the "special relationship" than Brits. In hindsight, however, this shouldn't be a surprise. Many Brits hate George Bush and his hawkish regime, so a significant cooling in British attitudes towards the US is to be expected. Having said that, the UK still regards the US most favourably compared to any other major nation - This could imply that the "special relationship" has survieved despite the exuberance and arrogance displayed by Bush and Blair.

So this poll got me thinking; Where does the special relationship go now? Does it go anywhere? Is it outdated, a relic from the Cold War that is no longer important to either side? What are US attitudes towards the "special relationship?" Does it matter to you whether the close ties between the US and UK survive? Or would you rather the links be severed?

My own feeling is that the "special relationship" is still important and relevent.
    The goals and aspirations both nations share are so similar that it makes sense we would forge a close alliance on the international stage.
    I can actually see it going from stregnth to stregnth over the nextt decade. My suspicion is that if Obama wins the US Presidency and David Cameron wins the UK Premiership in 2010, a new era of close relations will ensure between the US and UK. By the same token should Hilary Clinton win, I think Gordon Brown would forge quite a close bond with her. Overall, I believe the British will find it much easier to support a Demorcratic run White House and over the next decade we will see a rebirth of US/UK closeness.
    I believe this is a fundametally good thing (even though it got my country involved in the Iraq shambles) and I'm happy it appears the close ties between the US and UK look set to continue, despite our obvious many differances.

What do you guys think?

2. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    The Anglo-American bond is deeply rooted in history and culture and the influence of politicians to break it is really ultimately limited. For better or worse we're going to be stuck together for a long time because our interests on the global stage are relatively similar.

3. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    I second JangoAntilles' point, because the devil that speaks your language......

At any rate too many divides between the U.K. and continental Europe and the U.S.A and everybody else preempt forming a similar relationship with other nations.

4. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    It seems that as long as the phrase "Anglo-American" is perceived
    to reflect a conjoined nationality between the US and the UK, they
    will both make an effort to remain "linked" culturally and politically.

Now, though, it appears that there is some strain on combined US and UK politics,
    which lead some whistleblowers to question the fundamental and actual validity of
    this alliance; yet the majority of disagreements are rooted in the policies and actions
    of their respective leaders with regard to the situation in the Middle East.

5. Tactic_Thrawn

Tactic_Thrawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2006
    Personally hold the view that the United States should have a Special Relationship with a slew of countries, not only the UK. Also put, the United States should have no Special Relationship with a slew of countries, not only the UK. Two opposite ways of stating the same thing.

The United Kingdom is undoubtedly one of the United States' closest allies, both politically and in terms of friendliness between the two peoples. However, this has not been the case in history, and might not be the case in future. The United States should not take for granted British support--and the United Kingdom should not take for granted American support.

Case in point, somewhat surprisingly (personal opinion), the UK decided to help out the United States a lot when the USA decided to oust Saddam in Iraq. Their government did this against the opinion of the majority of Britons (in contrast to the United States where a majority of American were supportive). This sort of unwavering support is disturbing, as an American. Though not necessarily the United States' fault at all, it seems that the UK is being led/strung along in some sort of idea that if the UK stands by the United States in all things, at some point in future when the United Kingdom is under threat the United States will stand unwavering beside them. That cannot be guaranteed--the United States might be unwilling, or even unable, to help the Britons when they need American help. So personally of the opinion that the UK should look after the UK and the USA after the USA, with no Special Relationships and strings attached.

That is not to state that there cannot be alliances--not to mention friendly sentiments--among the two.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The reason the UK joined the US in the Iraq invasion, against the will of the people, was mainly because Tony Blair saw it as a moral cause. Infact, going further, he has claimed that he felt god was guiding him to this decision and believed it was truely a good Vs evil fight. Basically, Blair is a religious meglomanic! [face_laugh]

I think you make a very good point though. Britain and the US should never be afraid to disagree and the UK certainly shouldn't be with the US in every single decision the US takes. A good case in point was Vietnam, where Prime Ministers Mcmillan, Wilson and Heath all took the decision to keep the UK out of that particular war, and I believe history vindicated them.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wasn't it back in the Suez Crisis when the U.S. actually disagreed with the approach that Britain was taking?

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes, Suez was a UK/French invasion, which the US wisely didn't support and brought the adventure of an early end, with the French and Brits left humiliated. The then Prime Minister Anthony Eden soon resigned citing gall bladder trouble, but nobody was in any doubt that he would have to go after such a disasterous forign adventure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.