main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "The Spectres of War" (Post-ROTJ AU - H/L, Luke, Mara, Wedge, everyone) Update 04/03/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    The Han/Leia banter- [face_laugh][face_love]=D= Perfect!! You definitely have all the characters down pat! I liked Mon Mothma's talk with Leia as well. :) Wonderful chapter and looking forward to more! [face_dancing]

2. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Jade_eyes - Well, you know me, Emp at heart, so I'm not going to make this easy on the Rebels... but that's why they're heros. ;) And yeah, I just can't see COPL happening or anything of that like, I mean, Leia is without a planet and to many other things to worry about, doubt anyone would care who she married, esp when they all knew those two where meant to be together. :D

whateveritis12 - Me thinking you have a thing for Ahsoka, and while it's a nice idea, I had this bunny after ROTS but before the animated movie, and I like my plot devices how they are, make more sense to me in conjuction to the original films. So sorry, no Ahsoka, hope you enjoy the story anyway.

divinerose - Happy... um... well... crap... LOL! Oh you know me... ;)

PonyTricks - Just ominous? I must be losing my touch.. ;)
    As for Boba... I can kinda see how he could have survived, I mean, it's one of the least ridiculous plot devices used in the series... hhmmm... yes... [face_thinking]

Feng_Huang - Heya, good to see ya again! [:D]

Darth_Marrs - Yep, and a few more sub-plots to go... you know me, never do anything small. ;)

Golden_Jedi - Hey, great to see you! [:D] Hope you like it!!

mavjade - Thanks! I wanted to show you dont' need a lot to prove true love. :D But yes, someone is gonna fall through a floor by the time I'm done. ;)

dancing_star - Thankies! I am a bit worried about the next... got some characters that I am not as comfortable wish, so keep me honest. ;)

Okay, just got done watching Alice in Wonderland. I do recomend it to everyone, it's an good film, not totally epic, but I laughed and I grinned. The scenes between Mad Hatter and Cheshire Cat were actually pretty epic.

3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Now I remember why I need PMs for updates... apologies for the lateness.

?Attack?? the man chuckled, ?there hasn?t been a significant attack on a New Republic installation in almost a galactic year.?

?An unknown Star Destroyer enters your space, you don?t just assume it?s a friendly,? the commander grumbled.

*ouch* on that emotional realism of war. (Loved this bit here. And the commander guy is right.)

Han and Leia... [face_love]

Is that the Jedi Temple they're going thru? Neat. And sorta creepy...

And... woah...

Good update. :)

4. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Eh, Ahsoka isn't a game breaker for me. While it would be nice if you included her, I'm not going to lose interest if you don't. Looking forward to seeing what you do though.

5. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    DaenaBenjen42 - Not a problem, I'll pop you some PM's now. ;) I remember a fiasco awhile back so I don't send them unless specifically asked. :D and thank you! realism of war was exacly what I was going for... it's a bit dark here in the beginning, but you know I take care of my peeps. ;)
    and creepy is good... [face_batting]

whateveritis12 - Much appreciated, I know how it is when you got a fav char... breaks me up inside what I gots to do with Mara in this... [face_whistling]
    btw, Loved the Percy Jackson books! [face_love]

Alright, still laying the groundwork for everything that is coming and putting down just what the universe knows at this point. We'll have some action soon enough, just moving my chess pieces into place. My, my, those poor pawns...

Chapter Two

?No one is debating the core of the argument,? the Bothan senator, Fey?lya, was the first to speak after the speech, ?but the practicality of it is definitely in question.?

?The saving of lives are never impractical,? a senator from ReeCee spoke up.

?Of course,? Fey?lya, for his part, did not fluster, simply waved them off, ?but right now we simply do not have the ships. We would have to split our resources meaning that those already in receipt of aid would lose out and those in the Meridian sector would receive little better.?

As much as the Bothan annoyed her, Leia had to admit he was at least right on that point.

?There are hundreds of ships in the Billbringi shipyards,? another voice came, a new Senator she didn?t recognize, there were more and more them every session.

?And no crew to pilot them and no funds to fuel and repair them,? the Kuat senator answered, a mumbled chorus of agreement following the words. The rebellion had already been a small outfit, and with the war over, recruitment and reenlistment was pitifully low for the Republic and for the kind of manpower they needed to start putting the pieces of the galaxy back together.

Everyone wanted to go back home, stop fighting, only some had no more homes to go back to.

?Then split the resources,? someone called but she didn?t know the voice and had already closed her eyes, rubbing her temples. ?Some help is better than none.?

?And what of those we?re already aiding in the Mid Rim,? came the retort, ?how will they appreciate the abandonment when they are in dire needs??

?Surely they would understand that others are just in need as them.?

?Have you ever been beaten and starving? Some of the rim words have been reduced to mob rule with the local governments powerless to help.?

?This is why we need to send in the military, squash these problems with a firm hand.?

?And where would that end, totalitarianism??

?On a planetary level, perhaps, if it is needed.?

?We are not going to help the planets suffering by imposing military might, we simply need more resources.?

?And what will pay for these resources, will they come out of your purse??

?We?re already stretched to the limit in the Galactic and Planetary Banks.?

?It doesn?t seem to have affected your standard of living, Senator.?

The rest of the conversation was little that, mostly shouting, sniping, and the occasional polite insult. After a deep breath she glanced back, taking in the sight of the half-filled senatorial chambers, flailing limbs of expressive being and echoing voices.

?And this is how liberty lives,? she softly mused, ?childishly bickering.?

?Ma?am?? her assistant, Winter, asked from beside her.

?Nothing,? Leia shook her head. ?Just wondering how many of them actually understand what we went through to get them back here. Nothing has changed, if anything, it?s gotten worse.?

?The war may be over,? the woman replied, ?but everyone is still fighting it, everyone is still afraid.?

Leia glanced back at the other survivor, her naturally tanned skin a hallmark of her Alderaanian heritage. Leia never could tan, always fair, like a porcelain doll, many commented when she was young. This made it obvious to t

6. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    Ahh I see what you did there, you didn't do Threepio's mind wipe (or maybe not one quite as extensive, knows maybe that he was built by Anakin and Anakin was Vader but doesn't know that Padme was their mom) but he was given an explicit order not to tell everyone and dang gommit he's going to follow that order even if he doesn't understand why.

Good chapter, could feel the frustration coming off of some people when they were being screwed over. Keep it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the historian ends up being someone who had close ties too Anakin or Padme. I'm going to predict that she's going to be either Pooja or Ryoo, their cousins. Pooja after her Senatorial days were done, went back to Naboo and started teaching politics or something similar, eventually she moved onto history, a personal interest in her because she still remembers Padme and her Jedi protector.

7. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Chapter 1
    I really like the feeling you create here ? of a new era, yet not at all that glorious. The contrary actually?

?When the Emperor died and the Republic took over, there was an awkwardness that few wished to discuss. Sure, there was Imperial Moff?s, Admirals, pilots and troops? but where did the administrators and laborers stand in it all?

Someone did indeed have to inspect buildings for safety, check up on health code violations, and make sure the garbage droids were working. There were lots of Imperials on Imperial Centre, many believed in the Empire, many believed in the Rebellion but had families to consider, but even more couldn?t have cared who signed their pay chips, as long as the work got done and they got paid.

Luke subconsciously wondered what category Jori fell into, but had manners not to ask. No one asked anymore, not unless you gave them good reason. Sometimes it was best to just move on, work with what you had now. ?

A haunted house? Very promising?.!!![face_batting]

... and lovely Han&Leia dialogue [:D]

??It?s the end of an age,? the commander spoke into the air.

?It?s always about the ends,? an operator mumbled, ?no one asks what we?re getting ourselves into now.? ?

That sure soud like the start of Beethoven?s fifth: ta-da-da-daaa?

8. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Chapter 2

?what do you say, want to turn in this life of politics and become a pirate??

?Tempting,? she mumbled into his shirt though he knew the truth, as hard as it was now, Leia would never give up, she just needed to find direction.

Beautiful!!

Nice Luke+ Hobbie moment and the Leia + Mon was even better:
    a thin smile formed on Mothma?s lips. ?Something impossible needs to be done, and I think you?re just the one to do it.?

?Something impossible...? she rolled the words over in her mind. She, her husband, her brother, her friends, they had all done many impossible things, this was true, but normally she hadn?t considered that fact until afterwards. ?Such as??

Motham smiled a bit broader, ?I haven?t the faintest idea.?

?And you think I do?? she furrowed her brow, trying not to disrespect the woman sitting across from her.

?Maybe not now,? the Chancellor nodded, ?but think on it, I?m sure you?ll come up with something.?

There was an obvious pause as Leia turned that statement over, dissected it, eviscerated it, and with all that had transpired over the past few days... ?You put a lot of faith in me.?

?I always have.? ?

??Not sure she?ll ever be able to separate the two,? Han turned and leaned against the railing, ?shavit, I?m not sure I do, not really. This Jedi/Sith mumbo jumbo... still, he took out ol? yellow eyes and had one hell of a daughter, so I guess that?s enough for a simple man like me.?

So Han!!! Perfect!!!

9. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    What a wonderful update! I absolutely loved it! =D= [face_love] The Han and Luke interaction was nothing less than perfect, and I enjoyed the droid's banter as well. :D Threepio doing his usual whining was hilarious and spot on. A fashion statement... [face_laugh] The whole update was terrific, but those were my highlights!
    Great job and eagerly awaiting more! [:D]@};-

10. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    ?Not sure she?ll ever be able to separate the two,? Han turned and leaned against the railing, ?shavit, I?m not sure I do, not really. This Jedi/Sith mumbo jumbo... still, he took out ol? yellow eyes and had one hell of a daughter, so I guess that?s enough for a simple man like me.? - No, it won't be that simple for the rest of the galaxy, will it?

11. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ?The saving of lives are never impractical,? a senator from ReeCee spoke up.

?Of course,? Fey?lya, for his part, did not fluster, simply waved them off, ?but right now we simply do not have the ships. We would have to split our resources meaning that those already in receipt of aid would lose out and those in the Meridian sector would receive little better.?

*blinks* That actually made sense... Still. They could work around that little issue... right?

?And this is how liberty lives,? she softly mused, ?childishly bickering.?

[face_laugh]

?Made me feel better,? the Corellian pilot leaned against the table, ?no new ships, training cuts, repair and supplies funds cut. What do they expect us to do, float around in space throwing rocks??

That depends on if those in charge were actually thinking that far ahead...

The whole talk between Luke and Han... there's a difference between history repeating itself, and learning from past mistakes and never making them again. And it's not like Palpy was particularly sneaky in what he did, either. It was sort of "I'm staging a coup! See! Right here! Under your noses!" only incredibly subtle in that way that he went and caused a war and no one was looking directly at him because the threat from without was the visual one. (But Han's right... try explaining that to a bunch of senators who can't seem to work together for more than two seconds at a time.)

Good chapter, and thank you for the PM. I've got that same policy, probably due to same fiasco. :)

12. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I've always enjoyed your stories and this one is shaping up nicely. It's great to tell the story differently than the books.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oooooh... that ending! Loved it!

I was glad to see some Rogues, they always make me happy, especially when Luke interacts with them! :) I get the feeling that Wedge's bad news is going to be bad news for the entire galaxy. [face_worried]

Poor Luke. I can understand Leia's POV but that must hurt to be rejected by your own sister. :(

And R2-D2, you?re company has been sorely missed.?
    R2 let out another series of beeps.
    ?What do you mean you cannot necessarily return the sentiment??

[face_laugh][face_laugh] Classic R2, 3PO banter! Love it!!

I'm looking forward to the next chapter! :D

14. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Terrific story! I love how complicated it's getting. The idea that Leia must choose between a career in politics and becoming a Jedi is interesting - and explains why she waited so long for her training.

You are the Queen of Evil Cliffies, and the title still stands!

15. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    How sad that Leia's not going to learn about being a Jedi at all! Such a great opportunity, and it's wasted. I do understand the public's view on the situation though, however ignorant it might be.

Thanks for the PM! :)

16. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    Next Fey'la's going to be pushing for universal health care. :rolleyes:

17. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    whateveritis12 - Actually, Threepio has no clue, he sympathizes cause he doesn't know his maker either, but just assumes he was a benevolant being, R2 seems to differ. And the historian, you know her, but it's a surprise. ;)

kataja - Yep, new beginnings are always frought with long journey's still ahead. :D And thank you, glad you're enjoying it so far! :)

dancing_star - I was a bit worried when I got Han and Luke chatting, those two can get into a lot of trouble together. ;) Glad you liked it! :D

PonyTricksp - No, no it won't... /sigh

DaenaBenjen42 - Glad you caught my ROTS nod. ;) And yes, I do like the Lost Hope parody... "I would like to announce... that you're all... morons..." unfortunately these morons are still in power!

RebelMom - MOMMY!! So great to see you! [:D] :D And thank you, you'll see some mimics but a whole life onto its own.

mavjade - Oh, the Rogues... you'll gonna love 'em. ;) I hope... [face_worried]

divapilot - Yay! Still Queen of Evil Cliffies!!! I am gonna make you all suffer!!!! [face_devil]
    Sorry... got a bit carried away there... :D

divinerose - Well, on its surface it does seem like a waste... but as Luke is going to learn, everyone has their place in the Force and the Force has it's own ideas on the Jedi and the Jedi.. well... just wait and see... ;)

Darth-Marrs - Marrs my man, read your Firefly/SW crossover, really good writing! Makes me want to do a crossover, though with of course Mara, Luke, etc... could you just see Jayne hitting on Mara? LOL! Anyway... um... good catch there, wasn't what I originally intended... but hey... it scarily worked... :D

Weekends are busy for me cause, well, I have none... Tues and Wens are my weekends... I'll have something for you soon. ;)

18. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    And I set the final stage... all the background that you need for my AU... thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoy the tantalizing clues I've dropped into this one...

Chapter Three

?I understand your choice,? the sincerity was there, but it was difficult for Luke to block out the hurt that he felt. ?The government is going to need leaders like you if they are going to survive this transition.?

Leia sat down next to her brother on the sofa, ?You?re upset.?

He opened his mouth to argue, but paused, she was too observant, ?Upset yes, at them, not you. I know for peace sometimes sacrifices have to be made, but this??

?Fear is of the Dark Side,? she bowed her head, ?and it seems Palpatine, even in death, is exacting some kind of hold or revenge over the government.?

?It does seem that way,? Luke replied with a bit of a mirth, ?but one Skywalker has defeated him already, so I think even Han will take those odds of you sorting the Senate out.?

His sister was too good of a politician not to let her emotions show physically, mentally, however, the dour mood she was in was almost palpable enough to touch.

He knew Leia really hadn?t had time to process everything that night on Endor, about having a brother and Vader being their father. There was elation at finding she had family still alive, there was horror at knowing what that family had done to her, and there was trepidation that they were going to take one final stand against an evil she had been raised to rebel against, evil that was her family.

Their father?s final action and words did little to make up for what he had personally done to her. He hadn?t known who she was, but that didn?t change his actions. Vader may not have been Anakin Skywalker, but Anakin was in there somewhere, and had failed to do anything. This is always where she faltered in her path to forgiving him.

When they let it be known that they had discovered that they where siblings, twins of the great Republican Jedi Anakin Skywalker, no one knew that Skywalker and Vader were the same person. No one came out of hiding to admit they knew. No one tried to blackmail them. Worse, no one came to tell them more.

So that?s how Leia wanted it left. Vader killed Anakin and the Jedi. Vader turned on Palpatine and died in the process.

Luke had to insist that it be known that Vader was the one who took out Palpatine, even if it was a lie, as it was Anakin that dispatched the Sith Lord. He knew it was closer to the truth than trying to say he had done it.

They wanted to call him hero? he called himself an idiot blinded by his own pride who walked right into a trap, and was just about caught in it. Kenobi was right though, it was a lesson he learned for himself, and only hoped he could teach to others.

A lesson his sister would have to learn for herself as well.

?Take what odds?? Han returned from helping Chewie return all the tools and spare parts to fix Threepio to the maintenance shed.

?Before Leia has the Senate up and running properly,? Luke added with a smile before his sister could speak. Vader and Anakin would always be a sour spot between them, he just had to accept that.

?I give it six galactic months,? plopped down on the sofa opposite them.

Leia raised an eyebrow, ?Six??

?Just hedging my bets,? he winked at her.

She rolled her eyes at her husband, but moved to join him on his sofa. ?Did you have any better luck on your trip??

?Sorry, no, nothing was left behind on Dagobah or Tatooine,? he paused to take in the sight of his sister and brother-in-law, she was in a soft blue dress, ornate hair, and while Han was still haggard as always, there was a trimness about him that wasn?t there before, and so Luke momentarily marvelled at how much, and how little, people can change in such a short time, ?and as for the Temple, well, it looks like someone took pains to take out the data storage rooms.?

?Palpatine?? Leia asked the obvious.

?Probably,? he shrugged and sunk into the sofa. ?I have

19. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    Kind of hoping to see who the historian was in this chapter, but it's always good to have a Mara sighting. Though the fact that she's working for the New Republic (if that's what you're inferring) kind of makes me wonder, unless of course she was the officer on the Nemesis (obvious the other guy Luke's talking about is Corran).

Overall another good chapter, looking forward to seeing the meat of the story start to develop.

20. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    Well, Mara certainly entered the fic with a bang, didn't she? :p

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved the Han/Leia/Luke scene at the beginning. Luke and Leia are super as sibs, warm and open. :D

Han and Leia are just wonderful as always.

The bar fight scene -- =D=

You write action excellently and of course that's Mara :* Rockin' and smokin' as always.

[face_dancing]

22. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    The historian is Tion. Willing to bet pretend money.

23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Excellent update! I loved the last section - betcha Mara just showed up.;)

24. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    Fantastic update! =D= Loved the Luke/Leia/Han interaction the most. :) A really wonderful job, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter! [face_dancing] [:D]

25. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    I feel like I'm tardy, but... week at work was hectic. Week at work did not end how last week ended. This was a good, good thing.

?Fear is of the Dark Side,? she bowed her head, ?and it seems Palpatine, even in death, is exacting some kind of hold or revenge over the government.?

More that they're not looking at the whole entire situation from a different, healthy perspective, but I love that phrasing.

When they let it be known that they had discovered that they where siblings, twins of the great Republican Jedi Anakin Skywalker, no one knew that Skywalker and Vader were the same person. No one came out of hiding to admit they knew. No one tried to blackmail them. Worse, no one came to tell them more.

Okay, this right here? Why do I get the impression that they're waiting for the other shoe to drop? (And how can anyone come forward if those who were in the know are dead?)

Luke had to agree, ?Anyone studying about the Jedi or hording Jedi artefacts where punished by death without even a hint of trial. Rindao is a good place to hide as any.?

So my theory that anyone were found to be carrying a lightsaber by Imperials would be in danger of dying posthaste isn't all that far off, is it?

?But what I hate more, is liars,? she tapped the edge of the blade against his torso, ?you know why??

?Ugh,? was about all he could manage.

She continued, ignoring him, ?It?s because they actually think that they can lie to me and get away with it.?

Is that...? *reads further...* Sure seems like her. Awesome entrance.

Good chapter. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.