The Spirit of Giving and the ECE

Discussion in 'Greenville, NC' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Is anyone interested in maybe getting a kid off of an "Angel Tree" somewhere and filling his Christmas wish list on behalf of the Emerald City Empire? For those who don't know what an "Angel Tree" is - there's a bunch of angels hanging on a tree, each representing a needy child. The angel usually has the child's clothes/shoes sizes and then their request for a toy or two. You usually try to get them at least a shirt, pants, shoes, and at least one of their toy requests. I was checking out a few at Carolina East Mall's tree today and I'm sure there's probably one at the Colonial also. (These particular Angel Trees were run by the Salvation Army). If we all could spare somewhere between $10-$20 each, I think we could really make a kid's Christmas. You can generally find childrens' clothes on a really good sale with a little effort, so there would be plenty left for their toy request and maybe we can sneak in a Star Wars toy if we have a little left after fulfilling their wish. (You can't start them too early!)

I would be willing to find an angel and post their info here. Then we could each individually choose to get something, or if you'd rather, you can tell me what your budget allows and I'll do the shopping and you can pay me when we see each other. Anyway, let me know what you think and if you're interested. I think my family is already doing one angel through church, but I thought it might be cool for us to do it as a group. :)
  2. Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Master

star 3
    Dalton, I really want to do this. Come on everyone. Dalton, let me know when you want to go shopping for the items, I'd love to come to and help. Usually I can't help but pick up an extra toy or two for a needy child.

Give me a call and let me know.

Kevin
  3. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cool! Thanks Kev! When we get an idea of what kind of participation we're gonna have, I'll try to pick up an angel by the end of this week, so we know what kind of price range we're working with. Some of these kids request things like bikes and Playstations which are obviously out of our price range, but some request things like dolls, Power Rangers, or football/basketballs which I think we could handle easily along with clothes.

Kev, I should be available to shop most anytime next week, so I'll let you know. If anybody else wants to come, we could make it an outing for the group and count it as a meeting.
  4. The_Green_Ranger Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd like to participate. You better believe I'll handle power ranger toy requests. lol. April is interested too.
  5. Q_of_the_Continuum Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
    [image=http://www.leckman.com/ca101/images/yoda.jpg]
  6. The_Green_Ranger Jedi Knight

star 1
    just let me know via the board when everyone can go and I'll go. Mondays are good for April, as she has off.
  7. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Excellent! I'm glad everybody wants to take part in this! I have a 3:30pm doctor's appointment this coming Monday, but will be available after that, or later that evening.

Whichever day we end up with, we can meet up at Colonial Mall. They have two Angel Trees, one by the food court and another by K*B. We can scan the trees then and find someone that works for us and then do some shopping!!
  8. Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Master

star 3
    Monday after work sounds good to me (5:30ish) in front of KB toys.

Kevin
  9. Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Master

star 3
    Are we still up for this Monday, today?

I'll meet ya'll after work today. Dalton, can you bring your camera?

Kevin
  10. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll be there near K*B at 5:30(ish) with camera in tow.
  11. The_Green_Ranger Jedi Knight

star 1
    ack, I didnt even read this till 4:30 on monday. I also have no money what so ever until Friday. Guess we're out on this one. Sorrie...
  12. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Kevin and I picked up a few things on our "angel's" list. We ended up with a 3-year old boy. We haven't turned the stuff into the Salvation Army yet, so there is still time if anyone wants to still wants to get anything. The last day to turn the items in is December 15. There are still things he could use, including clothes. The kid is a size 4T in pants or shirts or pajamas. He is also interested in books, particularly any related to winter. We could also throw in a little Star Wars toy as long as it's age appropriate (3 and up) since we are a Star Wars group. If anybody wants to pick something up, I can get it from you and add it to the stash. Kevin had a nice idea that maybe we could all get together and take a picture with us and the loot, so we could add it to our eventual website sometime.
  13. The_Green_Ranger Jedi Knight

star 1
    yeah i had a website up but no one seemed interested so I abandoned it. If you'd like i can update it. ill try to get something next week and get it to one of u guys. sorrie but i had no idea it was this monday.
  14. Q_of_the_Continuum Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, I didn't get this until late Monday night. Sorry about that. I might just get some money to ya and let you do the shopping for me.
  15. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just an update - I'll be taking the angel gifts over to the Salvation Army on Wednesday afternoon. If anyone has anything they need to get to me, PM me and I'll check it one last time around 1PM. I can ride by to pick anything up if necessary. I'll snap a quick photo of the spread just for posterity before I take it.
  16. The_Green_Ranger Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm not sure cause I deposited some money and it won't go through until Thursday. Could you possibly get some low priced Star Wars toy for me and I pay you back? if thats okay, get him one of those stormtrooper toys like kevin gave me for my bday. thanks if u can and even if you can't, thanks anyway.
  17. Q_of_the_Continuum Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sorry, been so busy around here lately. I know you probably already got that stuff and sent it on. Just let me know what I owe for my part of the gifts. I got some money on me right now actually. Kevin if you want to come see me tomorrow at PCMH if you get a chance and I'll give you some cash. I'll be there from 1-5 as you already know.
  18. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For a final update -- I took the stuff to the Salvation Army on Wednesday. The room where I took the stuff was jam-packed with items, so it looks like a lot of kids are gonna have a nice Christmas. I stopped by TRU on the way to pick up a Star Wars toy to add to the stash. I couldn't figure out that Stormtrooper game you were talking about Robby, but I picked up something else I hope you think was suitable.

We had a 3 year old male named Jy'Quienes (at least that's kind of what we figured, whoever filled out the form didn't have the best handwriting). Regardless, that's kind of a cool Star Wars sounding name. His toy requests included a toy truck, play phone, and books about winter. We pretty much got everything he requested, though we never found any books specifically about winter, so we just got him a couple of age-appropriate books.

Here's a couple of the pics I snapped, so you can see what he got:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Dal--Intrepid/angel01.jpg]

We got him two sets of toy trucks - one with a tow truck and car and another with a dump truck and trailer that has a steamroller. Then we got him a play cell phone complete with pager that actually beeps. Then we got him two books - one Bob the Builder book, and then a Disney book, which actually is three books in one. Then we wanted to get him some clothes, so you'll see a sweatshirt and sweatpants set, and then a pair of pajamas.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Dal--Intrepid/angel02.jpg]

Finally on the way to the Salvation Army, I stopped by TRU and picked up this Jedi Force figure. Since we are the Emerald City Empire, it only seemed fitting that we give him Vader, complete with Probot. These figures are pretty sweet. They're around 5-6 inches tall, so he should be able to get some good play with him. Plus his lightsaber lights up! Now I may have to go back and get one for myself!

Thanks to everyone for participating! We did a good thing this Christmas and hopefully we can make this a long-lasting tradition. Happy Holidays to all and I look forward to more fun for us in the coming year!
  19. Q_of_the_Continuum Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's great, Dal. I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately but I've had stuff going on here constantly as of late. Let me know how much that stuff was because I wanna pay you back for some of it. Remind me at or before the next meeting and I'll get ya some cash or a check or something. Hope you all have a nice Christmas!
  20. Dal--Intrepid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No problem Kev. There's no rush. We can get everything straight at the next meeting. I know this all kind of came up on us quick as we decided to it and then had to turn right back around and get the stuff turned in quickly. If we do it again next year, hopefully we can get an earlier start, so it won't be so rushed.

I thought about this today as I was watching my kids open and play with their presents. I hope Jy'Quienes had a nice Christmas this morning too and we're all partially responsible for it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.