main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The spirit of the new trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by squir1y, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I just watched The Fifth Element and thought that the kind of spirit that movie had would be great in the next trilogy. I don't want it to be as stiff as the last three or as dark as the post-Jedi EU took the story. I want to be thrilled and laugh at actual funny things. Sorry GL, but your sense of humor isn't really that funny... And I don't want it to be as overdramatic as Lord of the Rings or anything. What's a good example of the kind of vibe you want to get from these movies? (I know the original trilogy will be a popular answer, but we live in a different time now and I don't think you could elicit the same reaction from the same thing, but I could be wrong)

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The PT wasn't supposed to be funny.

Bad_Feeling likes this.
  3. squir1y

Feb 1, 2003
    That's still kind of a shame. Sure it needed to use drama accordingly, but a few actually clever jokes here and there would've been great. Not just Jar Jar stepping in dung. I thought Episode I and II were entertaining enough to like and Episode III was awesome... my favorite parts were actually Ewan Obi-Wan cracking jokes or being cocky. I feel they finally got that vibe down, then it was dark when it needed to be. It's about balance.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jar Jar, the C-3PO naked comments, C-3PO and that Battle Droid getting mixed, R2 setting those droids on fire, R2 running into that wall shocking that droid, getting kicked, Obi-Wan chopping off the Magna-gaurds head and turning away while the droid was still fighting, Yoda knocking those Imperial Guards into the wall was all supposed to be funny. Basically everything I listed from ROTS was funny. The rest was not.

5. squir1y

Feb 1, 2003
    Yeah Episode III had some genuinely funny moments, before that there was a cringe where a laugh should've been. Haha

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know Star Wars can be over the top on things which is why I like it but the PT just doesn't compare to the OT. The comedy/witty banter in the OT served to continue the plot in someway or other unlike the PT imo. Jar Jar was funny some of the time but most of his things were pointless. TCW Jar Jar was great.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I laughed at many points during the PT. My favorite bit was Obi-Wan's little quip to Qui-Gon, "You were right about one thing, Master. The negotiations were short."

8. squir1y

Feb 1, 2003
    That's a good point. I did like Jar Jar in TCW. I guess it all comes down to who writes the jokes. Got nothing but respect for George, but I don't think I'll forgive him for "Oh, this is such a drag..." That one hurt. Yet I did like "I'm quite beside myself." So maybe I'm just picky...

9. squir1y

Feb 1, 2003
    Obi-Wan was the savior of the PT's humor. I love it when he dropped in on Greivous and simply said "Hello there." That's badass funny. There was a great line in the novel that I wish was in the movie after Greivous said "I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku." And Obi-Wan replied with "What a coincidence. I trained the man who killed him." That line would have been so perfect in the movie!

10. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    JJ can do humor, especially when it comes to banter within characters. The Star Trek films were hilarious. Looking at JJ's past films, I don't think we're going to get a group of characters with the same sort of regal, almost theatrical"stiffness" that our PT protagonists had, which should open things up for a greater amount of character humor.

11. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You can't have it both ways. Jar Jar was in TPM for humor, so you can't say on one hand that the PT wasn't suppose to be funny but then don't bring up the character of Jar Jar who was INTENTIONALLY put in there to for humor! :confused:

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I didn't bring up Jar Jar!

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought Jar Jar was funny. Not so much the fart jokes but when he passes out in the bongo or when he gets his hand stuck in the podracer or when Qui-Gon catches his tongue. I mean it's not comedic genius but it makes me laugh everytime.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The funniest was that EVEN THREEPIO found him funny, and we all know what Threepio's role in the OT is...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The mind trick on the guy selling Death Sticks in AOTC was one of the funnier moments of the PT.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Spidey Sense tingling! I sense a PT bashing thread disguised as an ST discussion...
    [​IMG]

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    same

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    OP's opinion has been voiced. This redundancy-fest bids you all adieu.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.