"The Spiritplane"(A Jedi Apprentice fanfic)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Wycil, Sep 24, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi000 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I personally, would advise against a 'game choreographed' space scene. I think you'll find that you will be much more pleased with the results (and be able to get many more angles, detail, ligting differences, etc...) in a 3d modeling environment.
    Up until about a month ago, I had never done any 3d modeling, but I caught on pretty quickly. I'd advise first choosing a software platform, then looking around for some beginner tutorials.
    I work on a mac, and have used infini-d and am currently using Cinema 4d XL (available for both mac and pc). I really like C4d, it was very easy to use and create videos. The only drawback is that it is not as popular as 3d studio max or lightwave, therefore harder to find models in that format (but it can be done, I have taken other people's models and, with their permission, re-assembled them in C4d). But my advice would be to jump right in. I think you'll be much more satisfied with a 3d modeled scene over a video game clip.
    Also, if you do chose to go with C4d, I'd be happy to help you out.
  2. JaysDicta Jedi Youngling

Thanks for the ideas Jedi...

My guess is, ingame sequences would work well for other things too... Example: gunfilm of action that happened being reviewed on another monitor or something.

I just saw the SciFi 3d pahge here on TFN yesterday, did some extensive looking around,a dn I have to agree (esp. after watching JTE about 5 times) it'd be more creative and rewarding in 3D. I have to start talking to the collaborators...

Thanks a bunch! *S*
    Jay
  3. Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 4
    A mac and not using Lightwave?

blasphemy :p

Azeem
    TFN FanFilms
  4. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    I agree Azeem. But he has learned C4D and doesn't want to learn anything else. There aren't many good tools on the MAC, but you'd think they would go for Lightwave.

Anyway......I remember long time ago I used that picture from XvsT or TIE FIGHTER of the inside of the Tie-F cockpit looking up thru the top hatch's glass. I cut those window holes out and mapped this image onto a plane, then ran the animation behind the plane thru the windows. I did it with the TIE flying out of the ISD hangar and stuff. Or you can use animations for cockpit displays and stuff too like they mentioned.

BUT....don't expect to have anything anywhere near the quality of JTE. I just want you to have realistic goals. Marco is a professional animator for an Electronic Arts affiliate. But you are right that 3D animations are much more interesting b/c of the quality, sound, music, etc. that is possible.
  5. JaysDicta Jedi Youngling

Hey Zoo,

thanks for the reality check... I think, more than anything else, JTE gives me something I can point at and say "Look here!"... I can manage sound manipulation myself, perhaps over time (and granted a new system to run massive rendering projects on) I might be able to manage to do some animation. What I need is an idea of the path to start on.

For info purposes:
    Cyrix-based P166, 64 megs RAM, 7 gigs HD, 2d ATI mach64 (2 megs ram) and a voodoo1 Pure3d is my system. I've experience (not a lot) in POVray (I rendered my first animations in it a long time ago... basic stuff but surprisingly easy once I got into the coding) and MORay, which I found much much harder to do animations in.

Building models totally eludes me... My hat is off to any/all with that talent. "Scripting" action, making things work visually, I think I can do. If need be I'll borrow models (with permission of course) and give credit fully where it's due.

So... knowing my experience level is literally less than padawan, I have a limited system and wuold like to operate on a budget of less than $200, any suggestions / ideas of where to start? There's one guy on this project w/ me who's got much more experience, but one guy's not enough. Before flooding him with requests (he's a busy guy) I'd like to have some idea of whats possible for multiple people working on the same project, so we can co-ordinate efforts and whatnot.

Thanks to you all for input... its truly appreciated. (look for your names in the credits, one of these years)

*S* and regards,

Jay
  6. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    One of these other recent threads has some info on where to get educational versions of software. $200 is tight but using this you might be able to get LW or something. Even with this discount I think MAX and LW are still about $700-$1000. You might be able to get an older version.

Personally, I wouldn't spend your money. This software is priced for companies that throw $1000 around like it's dirt. Keep your $200 man. Use it to get a new system. You'll need more CPU horsepower if you want to use a better 3D app.

Read another thread here in the past few days where I gave a guy info on where to get warez software.
  7. Kim-kenobi Jedi Youngling

star 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.