main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The spoiler and TRAILER free club!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darth Dane, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000
    Who else will not even see the trailers?

Who has the perseverence to stay clean until May (for you lucky american bastards :p ;)), and later (whatever the date will be!) for the rest of us outside the US?

Who will join me?

Will it be too hard as the trailers are not considered spoilers?
    Will we be able to stay here on the boards?

Share your thoughts!!!

2. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Wimp!!

3. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    Honestly, I consider anything that Lucas reveals to the public as non-spoilers. I don't believe that he would reveal stuff that would give out anything more than the general storyline. That is exactly what he did with the two trailers for Episode I. Still, to each his own.

4. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    No way am I missing the trailers! Really, if you saw the Classic Trilogy you are already spoiled about the general storyline. Trailers will just increase the anticipation and excitement! :D

5. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    With a movie like Star Wars, images from the movie (of space ships, villians, aliens, bounty hunters, landscapes, whatever) are the BIGGEST possible spoilers.

BUT the anticipation is at least half the fun!

So, considering that these images will be impossible to avoid during the weeks leading up to the release of AotC, you might as well just go along for the ride and watch the dang trailer.

6. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I'm really impressed with you if you can stay spoiler free and not watch the trailers!! That is crazy talk, I'm going spoiler free, but you have to believe that I'm taking in every official tidbit I can. If you do want to give yourself a glimpse, I would watch the teaser trailer. I saw it tonight, and it won't give away anything at all. Unless you consider the fact that Obi-Wan and Anakin have light sabers or that Padme is really really hot to be spoilers!!

On one hand, it would be great to go into the theater without seeing any footage, but that kind of takes away of the entire SW experience: the fanfare, the excitement leading up to Opening Night. That's a big part of it for me.

7. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    Going spoiler free is a good idea, and definitely admirable.

But not watching any of the trailers is lunacy.

8. JediGroove

JediGroove Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2001
    Even though I'm spolier free, I find avoiding the trailers is just totally impossible for me. But if you can do it, then your a man of withstanding torture! [face_devil]

9. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I don't know why I'd want to avoid the trailers. That's going too far, IMO.

10. Obi Swan

Obi Swan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 1998
    I agree with QuiGonnJinn: the spectacular images are part of what makes the Star Wars experience--the ships, the costumes, the alien world landscapes. I'm hesitant to watch even the teaser trailer because I've heard it shows scenes from the new planets in AOTC. The trailers for TPM ended up showing ALL the best visual feasts in TPM (ALMOST all, anyway). So there was little new *visual* excitement for me when I saw TPM. Thus, I want my first viewing of AOTC to be as if someone suddenly stopped by my house and said "Look! A long-lost Star Wars Episode!" And I pop it in my DVD player, not knowing ANYTHING to expect. Then, the entire viewing is one long non-stop roller-coaster ride of visuals, sound/music, and story.

11. XackAttack

XackAttack Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm spoiler-free and proud of it! The only thing I look at is the release posters, and thats about it.

12. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    TPM's trailer didn't show Naboo or Coruscant at night, the senate or and other things. Actually the best of Coruscant wasn't released in the theatrical run. How great are DVDs!

--Joey

13. Darth Dane

May 10, 2000
    well maybe I should mention that I am in India, so the chances of me staying trailer free is somewhat large!!

Plus the fact that "most" trailers tend to show to much of the good bits to get the audience to see it!!!

I remember the american pie trailer, it practically showed all the funniest stuff from the movie, and the actually seeing the movie is somewhat bunk!!!

Obi swan said it with TPM, I want to get totally surprised by the new things we will see.
    Mauls double bladed saber got "ruined" because we knew that it was going to be there.

In a lot of trailers we see the bad guy get so very close to getting axed and then...cut "go see the movie"
    Then we'll "know" for sure that he dies and somewhat spoil the plot and action.

Unfortunately I can't remember the trailer, but I remember one trailer that was very illusive as to what it was about, but alluded still that it was very interesting!
    I remember the teaser trailer for "the blair witch project" where you just see the girl sitting in the tent talking to the camera about how sorry she was. THAT was a good trailer because "what is this about, she clearly seems agitated I want to see it and find out whats going one".

IMO most trailers practically shows the entire movie very condensed, and just omitting the final axing or whatever equivilant you can think off, and that is just a shame!!! This is mostly true for action movies, where there is a "final moment". More intellectual movies don't suffer from the same thing, as the talking and dialogue is what is interesting. I know other movies also can have good dialogue ...but bear with me here!!

And especially with SW I want to get completely surprised by my first experience....knowing that I will go to the theater at least three times to see it...probably more ;)

14. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I donna have the willpower to avoid the trailers, man!
    But I will avoid the soundtrack listings this time. Thank you very much "Qui-Gon's Noble End" :mad:

15. Darth Dane

May 10, 2000
    So whats up?

Anyone wanna join up?!?!

I've seen the new release dates for AotC, and in Denmark it's on May 16!!! :D

So that's coolness!

Anyone have the stamina to NOT see the trailers besides me?!?!

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I had assumed we had all seen them by this point.

17. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    if you don´t see any trailers, and then go see the movie, with no images in your head whatsoever! you will have imagined it differently, and would probably be disappointed! That is... it would probably be totally different than what you had in mind!

18. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    I have only seen the photo's from the teaser trailer, and I intend to keep it like that.

I've always watched SW films always knowing what they're about and how they end, so now I'm gonna try it different and just get an instant first impression.
    I watched Full Metal Jacket, One Flew over the cuckoos nest, and Taxi Driver with very little prior knowledge, and I loved them, so if Ep 2 is really that good then it should make a dazzling first impression on me without having any knowledge of it.

If you have to force yourself to like a film then its usually not worth it, though there are occasionally some exceptions

19. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    My advice, don't go watch the movies because there may be potential spoilers in it.

20. SandrockLQ

SandrockLQ Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2001
    You might be able to avoid trailers in the theaters, but what about the ones they will show on TV?

21. Darth Dane

May 10, 2000
    Dracula knows it!
    It's the best not knowing anything.

Have any of you ever tried to rent a movie or see a movie at the theaters without knowing what it was about?
    The experience is just very different, you have a blank blackboard and have to keep following what is being writing, instead of having some of it revealed beforehand and then semi ruining what's going to happen cause you know about the plottwist on line 16!!
    Besides you can always watch the movie again, and then it won't have the same impact as first time around, cause now you know everything. This means no surprises, no jawdropping moments. Then it's just the fancy editing, the visual effects, the duels and so on.Not the same thing right?

TV ads probably wont be a prob, since I will be in India most of the time

22. Darth Dane

May 10, 2000
    I just saw the thread about the book or movie first.

Is anyone still with me here!?

Of course the book is out of the question, and that goes for the music as well. Music as you know can bring about emotions, and I don't want to know about any of the emotions before hand.

I am still trailer free and glad that I am. anyone else holding out the instense pressure of curiosity?

DD

23. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    <e-mails D D the trailers> ;)

Music is a little different. Emotions from music can be different for everyone.

And I still haven't seen the trailers at the cinema. :(

24. Darth Dane

May 10, 2000
    Blocks incoming transmission From Pozzi

I am the king of the truly spoiler free!!!!

DD

25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Trailers don't always give away the story anyway, often voiceovers for a particular segment are placed out of context. If anything they can be misleading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.