main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Squared Circle (Pro Wrestling)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by USTommie, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Jeff Hardy's back. :D

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You've got to be kidding me...

According to WrestlingObserver.com: The writers of the CBS soap The Bold and the Beautiful are planning to debut in a few weeks a new character named Owen Hart.

Unbelievable.

3. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Anakin_Heartbreaker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I sincerely hope not.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I hope not too. *shakes head*

Anyways.. Here's a pic of the actor rumored to play the character:

[image=http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/3/d/O/catchreleaseprem3.jpg]

5. GodinKijken1

GodinKijken1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2007
    I fully admit I'm the I was a fan till 2001 and then it sucked... ship but then I sorta accidentally turned the channel on in Jan. about a week before the rumble... and then I was blind sited by the need to want to sleep with Randy Orton... and then suddenly I liked it again.

However, I have found that 7 years changes about... nothing! Nothing except the return of HBK which has me hating myself for missing; and some nice new eye candy. Besides that though, the storylines are still over the top; and Vince is still annoying but I did have to say that while the attitude era can never be redone it was still nice to watch it anyway.

So 5 months later I'm still watching... I sorta mute it for a while though but I can sit through 2 hours of RAW and not feel like my time has been wasted. Though I cannot say the same for ECW/Smackdown/and TNA (granted I could watch 2 hours of Awesome Kong and ODB no problem).

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Saw some interesting stats today.
    The last time a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match defended on pay-per-view didn't involve either Undertaker, Edge or Batista was at Cyber Sunday 2006 when Booker T defended his belt in a Triple Threat match against Big Show and John Cena. Including next Sunday's One Night Stand event, Edge has been involved in 10 title matches, Undertaker has been involved in 9 title matches, and Batista has been involved in 14 title matches during this span. Also worth noting...that was 14 consecutive matches up to Armageddon last year that Batista was in.

Raw's no better. Randy Orton's Last Man Standing Match for the WWE Title with Triple H at One Night Stand next Sunday will be the twelfth consecutive pay-per-view event featuring him in the WWE Title match...this will be Orton's sixth pay-per-view title match wrestling Triple H during the same span.

No wonder I had a feeling of stagnation. Can we get some variation please.

7. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    I think it's good to have the same guys always going for the title, but at the same time, I think tha they could use some variation. They really need to get some younger guys in on it on Smackdown. And on Raw... well, they just need Randy Orton to not go for the title. He's not a good enough wrestler to merit that many title matches in a row. A few was fine, but the fans don't like long feuds anymore. Vince needs to realize this and act accordingly.

8. Takergirl316

Takergirl316 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 11, 2005
    Apparently RAW doesn't want to make new stars (Read: Triple H is burying everybody to hold on to the title forever again), and SMACKDOWN is in a holding pattern until Michael Hayes returns from suspension.

9. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Apparently RAW doesn't want to make new stars (Read: Triple H is burying everybody to hold on to the title forever again),

Sorry, but what makes you say that? Trips hadn't been in the main event for a long while before November whenever he actively started going for the title again. He's only held the title for a little over a month now. I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't think a month is "forever".

And since he has a baby coming this summer, I doubt he's going to be hanging onto the title "forever".

Bu on the other hand, I do agree that the WWE needs to get new guys into the title picture. I'm tired of seeing Orton, Cena, JBL, HHH, HBK, Edge, Batista, and 'Taker dominating the title picture on both Smackdown and Raw. Off the top of my head, wrestlers that could handle a big title reign: Jeff Hardy (but he's not going to get one because he ruined his chance), Jericho, Morrison, Kennedy (possibly, he needs to work on his character... he's so flat in my opinion), and Show.

Oh, and Ted DiBiase Jr. looks interesting so far. I'd like to se him in the ring though.

10. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    As this is a wrestling thread, I guess we can talk about and discuss the past.

I?m going to share with you my absolute favorite match at Wrestlemania.

Macho Man Randy Savage with Miss Elizabeth v Ricky The Dragon Steamboat with George The Animal Steele, for the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania III.

I basically run out of superlatives when I talk about this match. This match for me what the pinnacle of wrestling back in the golden age, and single handedly changed the way professional wrestling was shown thereafter. The match, taking place in front of over 93,000 fans at the Pontiac Silver Dome at Wrestlemania III, back in 1987 was the culmination of intense vendetta between Macho Man, the reigning Intercontinental Champion and The Dragon.

The background behind this match was several months back, Savage during the defense of his title, deliberately injured the larynx (kayfabe) of Steamboat, taking him out of action. Mania was steamboat?s last chance to win the title. Boy did this match deliver!

Randy Savage is known for being a perfectionist, and back during the golden era, he was the standard of athleticism, one of the reasons why he won the world title the following year. Both he and Steamboat knew that Andre was past his prime heading into the main event against Hogan?so these two decided to steal the show.

The match was extremely choreographed, the intensity at which they went at it told the story of their rivalry. It was the first ever match that was choreographed, which lead the way to what we see today in regards to ?spots? in matches. Numerous near pins, I think nearly twenty, fast paced mat wrestling with counter after counter, and just about every move hit with text book precision. As much as I love Shawn Michaels, nobody, and I really mean NOBODY hits a flying elbow any better than the Macho Man. And nobody can do such deep arm drags as steamboat.

Macho had invited Steamboat back to his house in Florida a few weeks prior to the match, where they intricately laid down every move that they were going do. Savage had a ring in his garden, and the two set out to perfect the match.

What you end up with is nearly 15 minutes of the most breath taking; scintillating wrestling you could ever have the privilege of watching. I remember watching that match as a kid, and I was a big Macho Man fan, I had tears in my eyes when he lost. And that was what that match went out to do, get fans emotionally involved. I think Savage and Steamboat were back stage after the match, high-fiving everyone!

When I watch that match now, I feel this unbearable heartache every time I look at Miss Elizabeth. I had a big crush on her, she was beautiful, elegant?I really miss her. Looking back at her wonderful memories, especially those where she is with Savage really hurt. For me she was the best diva of all time, and I wish they induct her into the hall of fame, along with Macho Man.

There you have it, my favorite Wrestlemania match!

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Kennedy is not flat, he and Jericho are the most entertaining things on RAW IMO. They do however, need to stop sending him out to interviews though. He tends to shoot his mouth into his foot more often then not.

A_H, sometime over the weekend, I will breakout my DVD of WM III and watch that match. When I finally ended up watching the whole PPV a few years ago, I actually found I liked that better than Hogan/Andre which had been hyped endlessly in my childhood.

I had heard the story of them choreographing the match before, but Savage inviting Steamboat to his house to do it is a new one (I would still love for somebody to say once and for all, just what ended up getting Savage fired from the WWE and why Vince under no circumstances will not have him back, ever!)

Looks like a fan tried to attack Ryder at ringside during the SMACKDOWN Tapings. Neely apparently subdued the fan before security arrived.

And Mark Madden finally stuck his foot so far into his mouth he can't get it out. He got fired by ESPN radio for comments he said about being sorry that Ted Kennedy had a brain tumor and would likely not live long enough to be assassinated.

12. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Savage had the entire match laid out, and at that point the WWF were grooming Steamboat to have a long title reign, so they wanted to make it extra special. The match was ahead of its time. And yes, Steamboat spent three days at Savage's home, where they went through the match.

Don't know about Savage getting fired, but he was becoming more and more inactive during the final year or so. He retired from full time wrestling back in 2004.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    There are a lot of rumors but one is that supposedly Savage was fired for making a pass at an, at the time, underage Stephanie McMahon.

14. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    I've heard that one before, not sure how much I believe it.

15. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    I might be able to stand Kennedy if he would have better storylines, but that mostly isn't his fault. I always love his entrance, but after that it just goes downhill IMO.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Orton broke his collarbone during his match with Triple H at One Night Stand WWE.com confirms.

17. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Yes, it happened when he fell to the floor. He told the referee that he's injured, and they played off of it.

18. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    As soon as he fell I knew what happened. It was so sick. And they just kept replaying it... *shudder* He's out for three months I guess.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently somebody gave Bold and the Beautiful a clue because now the character is being named Owen Knight rather than Hart.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Message to Vince: The last time you tried to 'off' yourself one of your wrestlers and his family were found dead. Think. This. Through.

In other noteworthy news, here's the Draft results.

Talent Joining Raw (10)
    Rey Mysterio
    CM Punk
    Michael Cole
    Batista
    Kane
    Jamie Noble
    Deuce
    Chuck Palumbo
    Matt Striker
    Layla

Talent Joining SmackDown (12)
    Jeff Hardy
    Jim Ross
    Umaga
    Mr. Kennedy
    Triple H
    Trevor Murdoch
    Big Daddy V
    DH Smith
    Brian Kendrick
    Maria
    Shelton Benjamin
    Carlito

Talent Joining ECW (5)
    Matt Hardy
    Mark Henry
    Hornswoggle
    Super Crazy
    Finlaey

Talent Leaving Raw (11)
    Jeff Hardy
    Jim Ross
    Umaga
    Mr. Kennedy
    Triple H
    Trevor Murdoch
    DH Smith
    Super Crazy
    Brian Kendrick
    Maria
    Carlito

Talent Leaving SmackDown (10)
    Rey Mysterio
    Matt Hardy
    Michael Cole
    Batista
    Mark Henry
    Jamie Noble
    Deuce
    Hornswoggle
    Chuck Palumbo
    Finlay

Talent Leaving ECW (6)

CM Punk
    Kane
    Big Daddy V
    Matt Striker
    Shelton Benjamin
    Layla

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Just days after being drafted to SMACKDOWN, WWE has released Trevor Murdoch.

22. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    That's a waste. He wasn't that bad of a wrestler, but I guess after Cade got into Jericho's storyline Murdoch was just a loose end.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Ashley Massaro has been released by the WWE.

24. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Good riddance. [face_plain]

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Hear, hear.

*uses Triple H's sledgehammer to bash OPPM*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.