main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The Stadium Australia Commentary Box [Australian FF Version]

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by epic , Apr 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    To those who are unaware, the ol' SACB threads were a former fixture back in the old UBB JC Community, and a few times in Snowboards. But seeing how they always got lost in the Community, and the fact it was only ever Aussies contributing to them, it makes sense to restart the tradition.

Basically, and I can't be bothered finding the "official" description we've always used, for these threads, it's a place to discuss anything and everything about Australian Sports. Main sports are generally the League and Cricket, but we've sometimes ventured into other areas. I'm sure there's a few Victorians here who might like to discuss the AFL at some point, I'm sure.

Anyway, nice win by the Broncos tonight...what is it now? 22 games undefeated at ANZ Stadium? Wooooo!

2. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Not just Victorians. Remember - the states that are more in to league are a minority. ;)

3. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Excellent.

I think I'll go and check my oztips standing.

I've noticed that you, epic, don't seem to be playing this year, or are just really bad at picking winners. ;)

4. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    How are you still winning???

:eek:P

Go those Knights tonight.

5. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Believe me, if I knew the answer to that, I'd bottle it and sell it to you blokes.

Some guy had the audacity to suggest I didn't know anything about football and that I just guessed who would win. If I hadn't had ice skates on at the time, I would've kicked him in the shins. ;)

6. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Who was the guy then??? Don't tell me he's just a friend cause skating is as cliched a date as bowling and the movies!!!

:eek:P

7. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Friend of a friend. He didn't know me very well. He has much to learn. :)

8. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Winner!!!!!

Well, I'm off to the gym, which also happens to be a bar where I'll watch the footy tonight!

[face_clown]

9. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Sport *drool*

I'm adding NZ sport to the list epic since I need to discuss stuff somewhere too.
    Major topic in the next couple of weeks must be State of Origin, I'm a NSW fan from way back and enjoy seeing those maroons get hammered. While i'm degrading queensland sport I might aswell remind you about the broncos loss to the Warriors, It still brings a smile to the dial. :D

Go the Knights.

10. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Oh yeah, I missed the first couple of weeks in the tipping comp, and then I slackened off and never got 'round to ever tipping. Damnit...I should have, and now I can't 'cos I've missed too much already. Hmmm.

And I missed the game tonight. Knights should win, though.

And Origin teams will be picked on Sunday night...I think DeVere will start on the wing with Gidley and Girdler the centres. Will Priddis play ahead of Kimmorley? Johns should DEFINATELY get the halfback spot, but I wonder if Kimoorley could slot in as a hooker?

I'll be rooting for the Maroons as always, but I have to admit we're gonna be hard pressed this year. Man, the NSW team looks strong compared to the very-young looking QLD team. On paper, anyway. Once they get onto the field it'll be a different story. :-D

Too bad about Berrigan's injury though. :-(

11. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Nah, we should do all right, the greatest coach Qld has ever had is back. I'm just glad Muppet Murray has gone to Victoria. Would a referee who actually pays attention to little details like forward passes be too much to ask for this time around?

12. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Well the Knights won, but it looks like Johns won't be playing. He's out 6-10 with midial ligament damage. That'll mean we miss him for the 3 SoO weeks along with games against the Cowboys, Eagles, Panthers.

It could've been worse.

13. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    *Gloat Post*

What a win by the Warriors, kicked some Rooster @$$. Without Fitler they are nothing.

:D :D :D :D :D

14. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    What happened to Fitler today? Fitler has a problem of turning up if the game isn't on TV.

Well done to the Tigers too. 122 points conceeded in the last 2 games. My hats off, boys.

15. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Wasn't Fitler suspended until Origin?

16. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Agh yeah. I forgot.

Same with Barrett.

17. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Yeah, too bad for Johns. His injury, aswell as Kimmorley's best game of the season against Canberra has made the selection dilemma pretty damn easy. Looks like Brisbane will have two NSW representatives after all. Luckily for the Knights, they're playing some relatively easy teams. Wedge, how do the Knights look in terms of Halfback options?

And go the Warriors! Woo! They rock. The Roosters suck. But no one sucks as much as the Tigers...except maybe the Cowboys.

18. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    At least the Cowboys haven't thrown away as many points this season. They've even won a couple of matches.

19. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    That still doesn't deny the fact that they suck :p I agree that the Tigers suck aswell, they looked good untill they started taking drugs and doing other such things.

20. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Well the Knights have a number of options at halfback and I don't think many of them will involve bringing up reserve graders.

Rudder filled in admirably in the final 45 minutes last weekend and we only lost that time frame 18 - 14. So that option wasn't too bad. Especially considering the preperation they had for Johns' loss.

Who will move to 5/8 is the BIG question. Buderus could move there, but he's played so well it'd be a shame to move him from Hooker. O'Davis is another option since he constantly complains about not getting involved at Fullback.

But what'll happen is Gidley will be shifted there. He's a 5/8 by nature and plays at SoO level in the Centres, so he'll get the job done. Plus MacDougall is back next game and he can fill Gidley's spot in the centres, easily.

And considering the opposition the Knights will have, all is not lost.

21. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    With 73 hours to go, I think it's time to get our bets in. I'm backing Queensland to win Game 1 and take the series 2-1.

22. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    NSW 3-0 NO doubt about it.

What's all this nonsense about lifting the knee in the tackle. How can you suspend some players and not others for the same offense. Especially when one player (forgot who) got cleared so he could play SoO. If it was a Warriors player before a test he would have been suspended no questions asked. It happened to Stephen Kearney twice in two years.

23. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    And one more thing, is David Moffit on a power trip or something. Talk of throwing Parramatta out of the comp because they want to work closely with Super 12 rugby. You would think the Eels would be doing it for the development of the game not disregarding it.

24. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    ****ers like Kevin Niel from Canberra and Parramatta's chief executive Denis Fitzgerald need to be kept in line. They're only interested in pissing the NRL off at any chance and the sooner they're out the better.

I don't think any players were exhonorated from the judiciary for the State of Origin. O'Brian was a Queensland rep and he was suspended for an attempted kneeing (you can't even get penalised unless you do it, so why you can be suspended for not doing it I'll never know). Matt Parsons isn't a SoO player and he was let off. Rightly so too.

It's hard to go past another NSW series though.

25. LisaJ

LisaJ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1999
    So has anyone put in their Origin tips in yet?

They are even going to show the state of Origin in NZ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.