main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The Stadium Australia Commentary Box [Australian FF Version]

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by epic , Apr 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Apparently... *Yawn*

2. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yep 1-0 I believe.

France payed the south Island in a warm up game full stregth side and Only just won 24-18 so I don't think we'll have much of a problem.

It's going to be a great weekend:
    Nz V France
    Country V City (?)
    NSW V Qld

3. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Country v. City is an ancient league tradition ended 3 years ago cause of the blasted players union whingers that thought the players had too much to play with their $500 000 a year contract going.

It's back cause there's the week off for State of Origin game. This will give a great opportunity for players to impress in a representative like situation for the future.

The city is just like it says, it's players who originally came from Sydney only. And the Country is made up of players from everywhere else. Newcastle, Wollongong, etc...

City won about 25 in a row at one stage. And the first game I ever went to was a City Origin match in 1986 where City won in Newcastle 44 - 20. I met Peter Sterling that day. I have the pictures too.

The game also switched each year between Newcastle and Woolongong for the people of the country to see league at it's highest level. Now that regional NSW is just as good as Sydney's, they've decided to extend it furthur to Bathurst for this year.

I'm looking forward to it anyway.

4. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    No surprises, but the Aussies beat Worcestershire by 360 runs. Good to see Damien Martyn scoring some runs, but no stand out performers in the 2nd innings.

Karrie Webb won the US open as well. Go QLD'er!

5. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Australia lost the soccer to Korea 1-0.

Aurthurs is through in the tennis though.

6. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I've seen a couple of Country V City games before in the past but was never sure what it was all about. Looking forward to it any way.
    The Maori V wallabies should be another good game.

7. Possession

Possession Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    I can't believe NSW didn't select Nathan Blacklock. Grrr. I think I'm gonna support QLD in protest.

8. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I just heard Mat Rogers is off to play for NSW rugby next year. Another on the move aye. Also Blacklock is reported to be going rugby as well.

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    So is Darren Albert. It's all hoopla. Rogers is an injury prone turd anyway.

10. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Tee Hee, you still mad over the Knights loss aye :p

11. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Nah, I just hate how Rodgers says he's going back to Rugby cause it's the game he loved rather than the money. If he loved it so much why'd he leave it?

He's a BS artist.

Anyway, I'm off to Sideney for the SoO. See you all there.

12. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Anyone see the Aussie V Maori game? We were robbed! Thank you Sth African refs, thank you very much, I'm not sure why you didn't just put a Wallabie jersey on.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Go NSW :)

13. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    It's 3AM, I just got back, and I'm off to bed.

Nyah!!! to the Queerslanders!!!!

14. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah that was a great game, fully enjoyed it.

Kiwi's beat the French, not a thrashing that was expected but the weather played a big part as it rained the whole time.

BTW Wedge the game you talked about the French beating us it was actually a 16-16 draw in 1995. Gary Freemans last match.

15. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    That is probably it.

Still embarrassing though. [face_clown]

Well I got 5 hours sleep last night. Better than nothing. It rained a bit last night at Stadium Australia, but we had excellant seats that were under cover and had a birdseye view of the ground itself.

Anyway, I'll be there next year.

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Aaah, that was a shocker. Still, Harrigon sucks. Even I was a bit suss about Trent Barrett's try when I first saw it, and I was proved right when I saw the reply. But nooo, that ego-maniac Harrigan couldn't ask for the video refs help...HE KNOWS IT ALL.

Yes, well, that try shouldn't have been allowed. Still, overall, QLD sucked. The halves did nothing. Wagon is no Five Eighth.

Still, at least this makes the third game more interesting. And it's in Brisbane too, which will help. No Tallis definately was a factor.

17. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Well the league was good, NSW finally picked a good team
    But the cricket! we beat england and pakistan, ponting just strolled to his century. The pakistan team seems to be improving a lot

But now for the important thing, who the hell is the commentary team? they can't call the game anything like Richie and the team, so I turn on the radio and listen to ABC, they are actually about 2 seconds in front of the tv, and they actually have character in the way they call it as well

18. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Yeah, watching the Channel 7 cricket coverage is just bizarre. They've got crap commentators (Thommo is one of them), no schnikometer (I really miss that) and weird tags that come up every now and again (like if they're watching Gilly, "Glove Work" appears on the screen.

And another thing .. what's up with those 3d graphs? They're so bloody hard to read they might as well go back to HOW CHANNEL 9 DID IT. Bring back the 'worm' too.

Aside from the appaling coverage (Ch 7 don't seem to keen on showing us the entire game), Australia kicked enough arse to make it worth watching. Good to see Punter up in the scoring ranks again! I just wish that some Australian bowlers would find form and keep the bloody thing and not get injured!

Still, Bichel is a good addition. Where the bloody hell is Lehman though? Robbed again.

19. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    thommo is the only good part of the whole thing, but I miss big maxie and heals. but if 7 is going to continue missing the first session of each match then they'll have to go

20. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    You guys don't even get coverage of a whole one dayer unless it's sold out do you? That is one reason why I'd never live in Aussie during the cricket season. I've tried going to matches there and you just get abused when people find out you're a Kiwi :)

21. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    They only don't show it in the city that's having the game and it's not sold out. And usually it is anyway.

Channel 9 never would have showed the first part either. When the tests start you can bet they'll just delay the first session by 40 minutes so that there will be no lunch break in the coverage. That's the way 9 did it, and the way 7 will do it.

I don't know, I'm kinda glad I don't have to listen to Bill Laurie. Nothing is worse.

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Dood, Bill Lawry is da man! And I miss Tony Grieg's pitch reports, too.

23. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Maaayyyyte!

Lozza is just an arseclown!!!!

But he is funny.

"That's a great shot... Oh, no it's not, he's out."

"They'll get three in that. Nah, they settle for one."

You can count on those lines at least once everytime he's in the box.

24. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Richie Benaud: "He's just been out there all day in slips with his legs apart just waiting for a tickle"

I remember it like it was yesterday [face_laugh]

Big weekend of sport coming up.
    Bronco V Eels
    All Blacks V Manu Samoa
    Wallibies V Lions
    Sth Africa V France
    Warriors V Tigers

Plus a few others :D

25. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Yeah, a few others ... LIKE THE CRICKET! :D

I can't stay up tonight cause I'll be hammered for work tomorrow, but it should be an excellent game!

Just a note to all you tipsters, the Broncos have come down with a virus, so they're waiting a bit longer till they name the team. You might want to factor in that information when you place your bets. i.e. the Broncos will only win by 20 points, not 40.
    :p

I'm going to play golf on the weekend too. Look out! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.