Oceania The Stadium Australia Commentary Box v.7.0

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Silmarillion, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    HA!
    vettori's first over = 17 runs

that's what I like to see, getting down the pitch to beat the flight
  2. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    The Qualifier wasn't that big a win. I didn't want Aust to win because of a penalty, doesn't particularly show that we got any skill. But it'll have to do, whatever it takes to get into the World Cup.
  3. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    Uhhh yeah okay, no skill?? That was a certain goal if Agostino hadn't had his legs taken out from behind. It was a excellent move, and an exellant penalty from Kev Muscat.

Ya gotta remember that youareagay are one of the most defensive teams doin the rounds, so 1-nil is a good result.

Looks like it's gonna be a pretty spiteful second leg though!!
  4. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    Well, they didn't get quite the red carpet treatment when they touched down in Uruguay. Frank Farina even got spat on!

The second test was an almost mirror of the first test. Strong opening partnership, middle order collapse, wagging tail. Good to see Vettori get among the wickets though! :D
  5. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    it isnt just a mirror of the first test...its any test that the aussies have played...i cant remember the last time they had a full innings, and didnt suffer a batting collapse of some sort.
  6. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehe, and one of the Aussie officials had a crack at one of the fans :D It was an awful punch, looked like he was chuckin a spear, but at least he gave it a pop :)

7. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    Good to see mah man Hayden getting runs thesedays. Him and Langer have both been going well.

And that's the strength of the Aussies... even if they do have a collapse, someone makes up for it and they end up with 400+ anyway. Most other teams, if they have a middle order collapse, ending up whimpering to a meagre 250 or 300.

And I reckon Vettori looked better with long hair. ;-)
  8. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, we just got a new guy at work from india, and he is the biggest cricket nut I have ever seen, so he wathces cricket all day at work on the widescreens,

anyway, the day was most boring, but I enjoyed the old games as well

One question to the kiwis, what happened to Dipak Pattel (sp?)?
  9. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well the Aussies won the Rugby League ashes series this morning. Chris Anderson was taken to hospital at half time with more heart troubles and I'm betting the Sharks are nervous with him about to take up a big contract there next year.

The Knights players did it again really. But it was good to see Barrett and Kearns add a bit today. Johns has been doing it all on his ear so far on the tour with no help form the likes of Fittler (who is over-rated) and Lockyer (did the Queenslanders here see the first game?) :)

Was there ever a thread about the Knights' great win? Are there any Parramatta fans on here? If so, good. You can have the minor premiership if that means we're the major premiers!

What about my fantastic win in the tipping competition? Hmmmmmm!!!!

Cricket is getting to the joke stage these days. Seeing how the sub continent whinges whenever anything goes against them (even when rightly so this week) I can't see much unity between individual cricket associations and the ICC. What the hell is a suspended sentence for cheating? Pakistan should also be warned about excessive appealing.

Did anyone see that Brett Lee and Shoab Aktar are now on the same club team? They're scheduled to play together after the new year for the first time. Imagine opening for the opposition that day. Even if one is a chucker. :)

I'd get up tomorrow morning to watch the soccer, but I'd fall asleep as soon as I start watching it. Actually, what time is it on? They should only be about 11 hours behind us.
  10. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    chris anderson had more than heart troubles...it was a heart attack.

socceris on at 5:30 ESST i think.

paul okon went down with a knee injury, i think it was a pinched nerve. they are saying he will play, though

and it looks like the cricket will be another draw. it all comes down to perth. lets hope the cricket gods are smiling, and we get a full 5 days play.

or at least 3 days with an aussie victory :D
  11. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    :eek:

*rubs eyes*

Nah, couldn't be wedge...

Tom, I didn't say Australia has no skill, I'm saying I would have liked to see em score like they did in the friendly against France. But I'll be up at 5 in the morning (going to see the game at a mates house), so here's hoping the Aussies pull through! :D
  12. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah it's me. I'm back for now anyway. I might need a few days off to get the computer finalised in a week or so, but I'm back.

Is it on Free to Air TV? I couldn't find it in the TV guide. Seven have the Wannabies playing Wales. I dunno if I can get up that early again anyway.
  13. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, Ch7 at 5:30am, that's for all us NSW folk, dunno about the rest of Aust.
  14. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    4:30am in QLD. It's 11pm now and I have my alarm set. I'm going to be knackered for work tomorrow...
  15. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    It's 2:13am now. I think I'll just stay up and watch it. Heh. I don't have to work tomorrow, so I can sleep after it's finished.

Speaking of the Sharks... Kimmorley and Preston Campbell in the same team? Mang, Preston should just move to Brisbane. He can play Half Back up here. I'd rather him than Alfie... I mean, he's a league god and all, but, I dunno if he can still perform week in, week out for a whole season. Good to see Brad Thorn coming back, though.

16. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thorn couldn't hack it in Rugby so it wasn't a big surprise to see him back.

It's a sticky situation at the Sharks next year. Campbell was all over most half backs last year, but Anderson and Kimmorley are butt buddies from Melbourne. Anderson still coached the Aussie team for Kimmorley in the first test, that being: flat offensive line, despite that Johns was still the only player to look dangerous. The second and third tests were different stories, and thank god Lockyer was kept out of the play a bit more.

1-0 to home side in the soccer. I'm hanging out for penalties. The only TRUELY exciting aspect of soccer. Don't give me any crap about winning or losing isn't as good with it. If you don't want to play penalties, win the damn game in regulation.
  17. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    2 - 0 Uraguay!

Let the excuses begin!
  18. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL at Soccer Australia!

Amazing commentary. At 1-0 down "Australia only needs one goal anyway". At 2-0 "Only one goal needed". With 2 minutes to go "that's the magic Australia needs".

HAHAHAHA!!!!

What does Mark Viduka get paid for?
  19. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    game's over, 3-0 to uruguay.

people are going to whinge about how we shouldnt have to playoff with the 5th ranked south american or asian teams.

but lets face it, if we cant beat the 5th placed team, we dont deserve to be there.

its the old adage...we have a team of champions, but not a champion team.
  20. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    Where's Campbell gonna play? Hooker? Eck.

Thorn got selected for the All Blacks tour of Europe, but turned it down because he was uncertain of his future. Not many players could do that.

Uraguay thoroughly deserved their victory. It's a ****** way to go down, though... again. But they've got the highest player in the world, among a few other very quality players... and they could have easily had 5 goals notched against up against us. Viduka just didn't get the chances he needs. At Leeds he has a quality midfield and wingmen supplying him with crosses... eh, Australia doesn't have that. After Kewell, there's a huge leap down in skill. We have adequate players, but not enough match winners.

That being said, I think Australia is a better team than a lot of those teams already qualified. I mean, we drew 1-1 with the World Champions. That's gotta show for something. I think FIFA needs to work out a better system to allow for the BEST 32 teams to qualify. Sure, we didn't beat the 5th best team in South America... but we need more of a chance to compete with the likes of those teams for a longer period -- not just 2 games. I mean, Uraguay have lost 2 out of THEIR last 6 or so games. A team needs to prove themselves over a period of time against quality opposition to qualify. We don't have the opportunity to do that. 20-0 scorelines don't help us, AT ALL in the qualifying stages.

So, yeh, guess we have to wait another 4 years. Heh. Oh well -- GO ENGLAND.
  21. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Campbell will more than likely be forced to where the number 2 jersey since he plays there in defence anyway. His too small in the line, he's ONLY weakness. On offence he'll be forced wider with Kimmorley and Matthew Johns there now. Maybe the best example for me to give you would be a Matt Gidley style of game. Taking it out wide but using quick feet to get around his man or maybe being forced into the middle and allowing him to step through a gap. They're both not true centres, yet aren't really halves either.

It's a real pity Kimmorley will be there now. Johns would've been an interesting partner in the middle. A calming influence was what he needed after a steller year that ended in disappointment. Now this drama will have a negative impact on his game and career. It could be the end to another exciting aboriginal players' game.

Hopefully there'll be a decent back rower out there with him to feed. The Sharks will be an interesting team next year for sure.

Wasn't the lack of world class matches the Socceroo's last world cup failure's excuse? They got France this time and drew with them, but when it REALLY counts they have no pride or passion for Australia. They spend 10 days a year here and then expect everyone to fall over themselves to support them. Hopefully this latest failure will spell the end of Soccer Australia.
  22. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    If anyone needs me, I'll be at the pub crying into my beer.
  23. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    as opposed to celebrating in the pub?

its what, 9 in the morning in queensland? enthusiasm, thats what i like to see.
  24. SWNZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Crickets got "Draw" written all over it. Hopefully the weather will hold out for a bit.

As for Dipak he is currently coaching the Central Districts side in our national provintial competitions. Bit like the sheffield shield and Mercantile cup comps.

I watched The league, pretty good game all up. First half was probably the best but the Brits just couldn't use their chances.

Narrowish win over Wales too I hear. 22 - 13(?) only one try to Wales.
  25. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    :(

It really was a disappointment to see Aust lose. They played a LOT better than I expected them to. I really did think that we had a chance of winning, but the inability for the team to settle in the first half just stuffed em up for the rest of the game. They played really well in the second half. I thought we might have had ourselves a goal when Viduka had that header in front of the goals but...nope.

I guess this means that next year we won't get many World Cup games played on free-to-air TV. That'll suck, I'll miss waking up at some awkward time in the morning to catch a live game on SBS.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.