main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The Stadium Australia Commentary Box v.7.0

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Silmarillion, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    It's in Japan so I don't think it'll be too awkward an hour.

Looks like the cricket was called off. They better hope they get some good weather. With all the off field antics of fans, umpires, players and administraters is getting worse all the time. And if they aren't playing on the field then no-ones going to support them.

If basketball or soccer bodies had any brains they'd have made a move last year with all the betting controversy. Better TV coverage for one. They'd love the fact people would rather see some action rather than well paid men running for cover from rain.

2. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    The crickets fantastic, going to turn into a match and a half. Go the blacks!!

3. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Oh and BTW.

[song]
    99 for Warnie, Warnie for 99!
    Repeat 100x
    [/song]

4. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah, every other country manages to get him out for 0 (more ducks than McGrath!) but he's got an 86 and 99. Pretty poor effort from the Kiwis. And it's good to see their humility to the crowd afterwards too. It's quite unbelievable how their fans go off on Usenet about Australian players reactions. I wonder what they thought yesterday. In fact, it's been happening all test series.

Interesting to note that another third umpire catch decision went against the Australians. I left home when they were showing the replays, but when I got where I was going there was 9 out. So I'm guessing it went against Lee. There was more evidence for Slater's catch in India than for what happened last night.

5. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    //heads to the pub to join sil...

6. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    There was another catch that shouldn't have been as it as a no ball by about 3-4 inches, but thems the breaks, nuthin you can do about that

As for the tennis, what a letdown, seriously

And speaking of whic, V8 Supercars wrapped up this weekend, with Skaife on top by a large margin. Well done skaife winning his 3rd bathurst, but it was his first in a holden and first when he finished behind the wheel.

To all the kiwis, how was the v8 supercar test thingie over yonder?

7. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    You know, sometimes I really feel for Warnie.

Granted, he should've been out to that caught behind (hell, I heard the *shnick* from Qld), but as soon as he lobbed that shot up I knew it was going to be out.

All credit to the NZers who showed a lot of sportsmanship during the first innings as well. Looks like we could be in for a tense final two days.

8. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey Wedge how can you say the 3rd umpires decision went against Aussie. I thought Macca had clearly caught it.

Anyhoo it's all good so far, a bit of niggle shouldn't be a problem both sides are as bad as each other in that department.

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    That was exactly the point I was trying to say SWNZ. It's just Australia seems to get a lot more attention from the cricketing World when they do the niggling.

The decisionmay not have been wrong ( I think it was probably right) but it went against Lee cause he was given out. And they always seem to go against us. The Slater catch showed the ball clearly going into his hands yet the batsmen was given the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, looking forward to today's play.

10. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah i'm going home early to catch the cricket.
    Sorry Tek, haven't heard any news on V8's for a while, if I hear anything i'll post it.

11. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    What was I saying about the attention given to Australian players about niggling? Oh yes, Brett Lee charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

Pffft.

Predicting rain today too. If it does, New Zealand fans will cry bloody murder and claim the Aussie part of the series for years despite Australia being robbed in the first two tests.

12. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Aussie robbed in the first two tests?! Get outa town. Both captains agreed to make a game of it in the first test and we nearly pulled one over ya there. Second test maybe but that's the weather for ya, can't blame a result on that alone.

As for this test even if it is a draw we'll consider it a win, you never expected us to come close to even drawing a test let alone come close to winning one. A victory for the Black either way :D

13. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    when is ricky ponting going to be given the boot?

its the same situation as slater a few years ago...CAN play great, but doesnt apply himself. too prone to making stupid mistakes in a bad time.

not good enough. if slater could be booted for that, ponting should be too.

give katich a spot...couldnt do worse.

14. Darth-Tom

Darth-Tom Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2001
    Woohoo go new zealand! One of my mates put $20 on them to win the series right back when it started. She'll have a fair little stash if NZ can pull it off!

15. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Come on, I'll have a look for the first innings scores from Brisbane if you'd like. Australia was well on top before the rain came and forced Australia's hand.

Ponting isn't going too great is he? I think Gillie should be moved up the order for the South African tour. Either drop Ponting or move him down the order. They won't bring back Slater, only one person has had more opportunities than him and that's Hayden. Give Lehman a go, or maybe someone a bit younger to blood them a bit.

Is it just a three game series or do the three in New Zealand next year count as well? I think our 3 in South Africa count.

16. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Bring back bevan!
    stuff warnie, bring back bevan!

All sing now!

bevan can bowl
    bevan can bat
    warne can't do either
    cos he's to fat!

sorry, just being a new south welshman to the day I die

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Warnie has been Australia's best player this test. Who cares if he's a porker? Bevan can't bat against a serious attack like Allan Donald either. In fact, the brittle batting line up will do it very tough against South Africa. They better pull their fingers out.

18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999

You know, everyone is against using the 3rd Umpire for LBW's and dubious caught behinds and whatever else, but I say, if we have the technology -- why not use it? Another case today, with Steve Waugh obviously being caught behind off Vettori (who has developed into one of the best spinners in the world, IMO), but given not out. The you have Langer in the first test. And in both occasions, they had huge results. And not meaning to sound like it's all gone against the Kiwi's -- I'm sure there's been tons of bad calls against the Aussies, too, because of the vunerability of the umpire's eye. I mean, they're only human, I can accept that -- but the technology is there that could put a stop to these controversial, game-changing decisions and they don't use it because "human error is a part of cricket" or something. It shouldn't be. Maybe it was accepted back when Cricket was first established, because they didn't have the facilities we do now, but if they had the 3rd Umpire back in the beginning, there's no way they wouldn't have used him.

Ok, rant's over. In anycase, I'm kinda happy the 3 test series ended in a draw -- probably a fair indication of the series as a whole. It's obvious the Australians were on top in both the 1st and 2nd Tests, and would probably ave won both, if not for the rain. Probably. So, all in all, a good result. Nice to see a somewhat competitive New Zealans outfit after years of crappy teams. They put up a better fight that the English, anyway.

Can't wait for the South African-Aussie Tests. Easily the top 2 teams in the world.

19. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    The umpiring for both teams was dubious to say the least. Steve Waugh's caught behind was a shocker :(

Still, that's cricket. It was a good match, and yeah - at least the Aussie's had some competition for a change, instead of the meek competition England gave them earlier in the year.

R.

20. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Agreed that the umpiring was crap to say the least. That's our only grumble at the moment are those descisions. I call for 2 neutral umpires as well. For all and any internationals, test and one day.

But anyway a good series of cricket and I'm looking forward to seeing how SA go.

21. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I agree the umpiring was very ordinary. Hair isn't as bad as people make out, but that Robinson (was that him? The Zimbabwian) is a shocker. While I agree technology proves umpires wrong or right I don't want them to be used any more then what they are. I believe their use actually decreases the ability of an umpire as they lose even more consentration because they think, "If I'm not sure, I'll just go to the video."

Have a look at the league referees at the moment. They just keep declining in ability each year and since the introduction of the try replays, you can tell there has been furthur muck ups in other aspects of play.

Not to mention how boring it is having to watch a replay 3 or 4 times at least, when you know it was OK or not when you saw it live. If I wanted to watch the game on TV I'd stay at home. Play it on the field, not in front of a TV!

22. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    the only reason umpiring and Reffing is getting worse is cos the technology to prove them wrong is getting better. I agree, Some decisions should be left purely to the umpire.

anyways, I'm not one to get into discussions, great series all round.

23. Morgo

Morgo Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2001
    At the start of this thread someone said that gilchrist should be promoted.

i full agree with, he carrys team, no doubt about that!

arr well, hey dudes. i am new to this chat
    just want to say hello to everyone!
    thats about it

24. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I don't think the 3rd Umpire should be used to EVERY decision... just on really tough calls. And I don't think it diminishes the fun of it -- I like it when the refs go to the 3rd umpire for run outs and stuff -- it makes you feel more part of the game, I say.

And I don't think Ponting is doing TOO bad -- he had the best average of all the Aussie batsmen in the series, including a great knock in the 2nd test. The Waugh brothers did a good job in the final test, but they both struggled the previous two. I don't think they're any where near their usual best, and I really do think the middle order COULD be suspect. I agree about promoting Gilchrist, too -- he's one of the form batsmen in the team, and he's wasted all the way down at number 7.

Anyone hear about the Man thinking of playing basketball. Oh, geez...

25. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    LOL!

Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.