main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Star Wars #1

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    It's been interesting so far. I liked seeing all of the terms that were reused in film in different ways. Might have been a little too cute with the "bad feeling" line variation, but I'll certainly be checking out the next issue.

pronker and Darth_Erebus like this.
  2. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    I thought this was phenomenal, and the shiny card stock cover made it feel like something special. The artwork is richly detailed and colorful, almost like watercolor painted over a film, frame by frame. I've read the annotated screenplays so I remember hints of how the original draft played out, but the excitement here is experiencing a fresh Star Wars story in an alternate universe of sorts. It's not bound to any prior stories or rules so each page is a a surprise and keeps me wondering.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  3. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Man, I hope I get the third of those three covers.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Upon the initial announcement of this series I was indifferent at best, but the pictures and reviews I've seen for the first issue have me in high hopes. I won't buy any; I never buy comics (the exception being the upcoming KOTOR Omnibuses), but I'll certainly pick up the TPB from the library. It looks really cool.

5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought it was very good. The artwork is great and the story is interesting. I think it has a lot of potential and that many elements of the story reminded of the original trilogy, something I feel the current EU does very poorly.

I really loved the Imperial Air Tanks, a very cool design. I think the Stardestroyers would be much better if they lost the "tower" though.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    semicooke

Got any concept art you can share of your designs for this new series?

--Adm. Nick

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I got it. I'll get the rest.

Yes it has nods to the films and so forth but that is to be expected. I'll have to re-browse original draft stuff but I love it so far.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Awesome to look at and see everything so different (and more political trade-route-y) but the little touches (Starkiller had the Darth Vader switchbox!) that are added from the regular universe. I will say, being based on Lucas' first draft, there isn't that many fun dialogue bits, it's really straightforward exposition dumps for most of the issues. But it's really nifty to experience. Read the first draft years and years ago and mostly what I remember is the opening scene with Deak Starkiller being hunted down by the Sith Knight and the reveal of the half-machine father figure. So I really don't remember much else in the next few issues so should be fun to read.

Speaking of how Lucas like to repurpose ideas from earlier drafts, does anyone else have the feeling Ep. 7 will open up similar to how the original draft did. Aged Jedi Master, two kids, Sith shows up and chops of 'em up and that gets the movie rolling? Just picture Master Luke Skywalker hanging out on an isolated planet instead of Kane Starkiller. I think that's a possibility.

pronker and DigitalMessiah like this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It wouldn't surprise me if he re-purposed that for his sequel synposes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Add me to those who enjoyed this a lot. I can definitely see how stuff that got discarded from the draft ended up in The Phantom Menace, but given the very different tone of this (and the fact it's all being read out) is much more palatable here. I also love the more retro-futuristic Imperial designs as well.

11. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I liked this but honestly I hope they don't go beyond what was written, ie this would be Ep4 and then do 5 and 6. If anything I would love to see the original versions of the OT we read about in the Annotated Screenplays, like Luke goes off to find his sister while Han has to convince his space-pirate father to have his fleet of pirates join the Rebellion.

12. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Looks like The Star Wars is selling well, based on a limited Bleeding Cool survey and an advanced reorders chart which usually shows that a high majority of costumers liked the first issue.

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I know issue 1 was one of the few Star Wars comics that sold out at my LCS. The only other title I remember doing so was Legacy, and maybe a few of the Vader issues.

14. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I really do hope that it has a happy ending.

15. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I liked it a lot! It's interesting to see an alternate version of the saga.

However, I'm not sure it could ever have been as successful as the eventual Star Wars, it's a little bland storywise. It also reminded me of Flash Gordon, with bits and pieces from A New Hope and The Phantom Menace. There's even a child (I'm sorry, "youngling") killing that predates Episode III.

I cannot wait for the continuation!

16. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    AdmiralNick22 Yup. But seeing as how they may be putting them in the back of every ish, I'll have to hold off for a bit :)

17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i got admit, it's very interesting to read this "What-if" scenario.

18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm liking it thus far = outstanding artwork from a new person, while the reveal of 'more machine than man' shocked me. Nicely Halloween-feeling, it was. 8 issues ought to be enough.

19. Foggy's Pal

Foggy's Pal Jedi Padawan

Sep 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed the story, but what I really loved was seeing names and plot points that were used in later movies- cool behind the scenes sneak peek. Seems like the smaller Stardestroyers seamlessly became Jedi star fighters minus one crew member, really dug that. Anyone expecting an R2 or C3P0 type character to emerge?

20. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    i just read the preview for Issue 2 and i think i found them.

21. Foggy's Pal

Foggy's Pal Jedi Padawan

Sep 28, 2013
    Yeah, me too. Thanks for the heads up.

22. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    No Problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.