main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Star Wars Chronology Project: A Journey through the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JarenJade, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Talzin would be the head of the Nightsisters, but the term "witches of Dathomir" also encompasses light side witches that TCW has ignored.

2. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    When are you going to review an Swtor class?

3. JarenJade

JarenJade Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2009
    Super interesting. I had no idea there was a light side school of Dathomirian witches. In what story can I expect to come across them?

Cheers :)

4. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    Probably not for a while. Maybe in the summer when I'm off most likely. Which class would you like me to start with and that's the one I'll do.

5. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    John Ostrander is awesome. Here are my reactions to his comic short Deal with a Demon. Sopilers present, of course.

http://thestarwarschronologyproject.blogspot.com/2012/02/33-bby-star-wars-tales-3-deal-with.html

The Star Wars Chronology Project is back on track!

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You can read about them in The Courtship of Princess Leia. I wouldn't expect to see them on TCW, though. Filoni probably doesn't even know they exist.

7. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    The Courtship of Princess Leia is one of the few Star Wars novels published in the 90's that I haven't read. I'm looking forward to it now. You may be right that Filoni may not add them, but if he did it would be another neat nod to the EU.

8. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    Trust me, Filoni knows his EU.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    They do say you have to know the rules in order to effectively break them :)

10. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    Effective rulebreaking= good retcon.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, but I personally wouldn't consider all, or even most of their decisions effective. I feel like nothing was gained from kill Even Piell in such a lame fashion, for one.

Anyway, how do you play on handling Darth Plagueis? It goes all the way to The Phantom Menace, weaving in and out with other stories. Are you just going to read the whole thing when you get to TPM?

12. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    Yeah, I'll read it after I've enaged with TPM novelization. I'm biting at the chomp to get to it.

13. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    So here it is...I've stepped into 32 BBY with The Smugglers of Naboo. Here are my reactions.

http://thestarwarschronologyproject.blogspot.com/2012/02/32-bby-smuggers-of-naboo.html

Wish me muck folks...this is going to be a long year to work through.

14. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    When are you going to do DOTJ?

15. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Probably after each arc finishes. That's what he's been doing with TOR comics, Knight Errant, Jedi: The Dark Side, etc.

16. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    I think I'll get to it once I've made my way through 32 BBY. There will be other sources to get through at that time too, like the new LTOTS short story, and anything else that comes along which takes place prior to 32 BBY as I'm slogging my way through.

As it is, I've posted my reactions to Cloak of Deception. Not one of my favorite Stra Wars novels to date, but enjoyable for the little treasures it has to offer.

my reactions can be found here: http://thestarwarschronologyproject.blogspot.com/2012/03/32-bby-cloak-of-deception.html

As always, spiolers are present so click with caution.

17. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    I've posted my reactions to Shadows of Coruscant, an RPG adventure from WoTC. Enjoy!

http://thestarwarschronologyproject.blogspot.com/2012/03/32-bby-shadows-of-coruscant.html

18. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Good luck on your journey. It's one many have attempted, but few (if any) have succeeded on.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm pretty close to completing a "journey", but it's much more barebones than what is normally attempted; as of now, I'm only doing novels, comics, the bigger video games (I decide to play each one on a case-by-case basis), and most short stories. I might go back and do some of the supplementary stuff later.

But all of it in order is certainly a hefty task. I'm personally much too impatient.

20. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    Plaristes likes this.
  21. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    Thank you for the words of encouragement :)

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Maul's journal wasn't bad. Was incorporated fairly well into Ryder's Darth Maul book.

Never got a hold of the other journals. Still not sure if I should.

23. desh

desh Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    So, which games did you end up playing? And have you read or do you plan on reading all the novels?

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Games, huh...

Well, I've played all the Old Republic games, definitely. KOTOR and KOTOR II are beyond golden. Cornerstones of the EU, easily. I'm also really enjoying TOR, I think I'm one of its more adamant defenders here.

For the rest of the era's, I'm playing the "major ones". I actually got a copy of Bounty Hunter recently, and mean to play it when I have time. I've also played The Clone Wars (the original AOTC tie-in game), and I'll probably end up playing Jedi Alliance and Republic Heroes, since they're fairly major releases that apparently have some small role to play in the story. I actually feel the Revenge of the Sith video game is very underrated, as well. Simplistic beat em' up, but a ridiculously fun simplistic beat em' up. Also adds a bit to the movie, in my opinion, with Obi-Wan's escape from Utapau and Anakin's temple slaughter. I have not yet played the classic X-Wing or Tie Fighter game, but I probably will at some point. I love the Rogue Squadron games; those are great fun. And finally, all the Dark Forces games are essential, as is anything featuring Kyle Katarn (he can make William Dietz amateurish writing readable).

Are there any others I missed?

And I've read most of the novels at some point, and plan to read all of them at some point. So far I've got every novel before A New Hope except the Medstar books, Jedi Trial, the Republic Commando books besides Hard Contact, the TCW books, and Coruscant Nights. I've read everything after ANH up until the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Trying to get everything done until the NJO; that will be my "ending" of my, as of now, two year long journey through the EU. I'll read Legacy and LOTF/FOTJ as well, but the NJO is really what I'm building up to.

I haven't documented it or anything because I'm hopelessly unorganized, and am reading everything out of order. I might just do one for my NJO read through, though. I'm really anticipating it.

25. desh

desh Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    Do you consider Jedi Academy a Dark Forces game? Kyle Katarn is in it, but as a NPC.

X-Wing is one of my all time favorite video games, yet I never played Tie-Fighter, which many consider to be better. I played the second Rogue Squadron and loved it, but couldn't get past the non-flight missions of the third. I've played all the Jedi Knight games (but not Dark Forces), Jedi Academy being my favorite simply because of the gameplay. The Super nintendo games for the OT are pretty good as well - Super Star Wars, Super Empire Strikes Back, and Super Return of the Jedi.