main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO The Star Wars Costumes thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedigal, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Tab and Sal, I think one of you posted on the 'next meeting' thread that you bought your lightsabers for your Jedi costumes. What kind did you buy? Some of the very cool and very expensive that people sell online? I'd love to see some of those in person instead of just in pictures.

For myself, I've spent several hours this weekend working on a lightsaber. I hope to finish it tomorrow. :cool:

2. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete...."

So when do we get to see a picture of Jedi Steph with her 'saber? Or are you saving it for the Celebration?

3. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I'm sure she'll answer that when she gets back ;)

and me and Sally ordered them from some online costume thingy...

4. Another.Sky.Walk.er..

Another.Sky.Walk.er.. Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2000
    Hey Steph,

Where did you get your info on how to build a lightsaber. I think that would be something cool to make.

5. Princess_Robin

Princess_Robin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    yeah that would diffently be cool to make. :)

But I dont think I would have the time nor the patience to make one myself.

6. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, the lightsaber is not completed, I was just trying to do too many things at once and I ended up having too much to do as far as packing for my little trip. But it is almost done, just some finishing touches left really.

As far as where I got instructions, I didn't really. I mean, I have found on the internet LOTS of instructions on how to make various lightsabers, from replicas of those used in the films, to cheap simple ones used in fan films NOT for close ups.

What I did was to go to the hardware store, grab a five gallon bucket (or you could use a shopping cart I suppose) and go up and down EVERY SINGLE aisle looking at stuff with a "would this be part of a lightsaber?" eye. At some point I will take the time to type up specifically what I did. I have even saved the tags and receipts from stuff so I can give all the price info and instructions in case someone wanted to duplicate my design.

But I would NOT encourage that (duplication). I love the fact that my lightsaber is the first of its kind and that I came up with it. It's the way a Jedi would do it. It's fairly simple at this point, it may not even have an external activation switch. B/c it can have an internal switch that must be force activated.

I am not even going to have to dig out the dremel tool to finish this. I don't have the greatest skill with tools, so I purposefully chose my components with that in mind. The tools I will have used when
    I'm finished are a saw, an exacto knife, a paintbrush, various glues, maybe some sandpaper, a drill (for two holes), and nothing else that comes to mind at the moment.

Compared to the time it took me to make my robe, this project is turning out to be MORE fun, easier, and may take less total hours.

7. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Pics? Not til there's something to take pics of! Sorry but I won't have time to take pics during the construction, I have too many other parts of my costume to devote the time to doing that. But I will take pics when it is finished.

As far as other parts of my costume, I did some work on that too. I looked at patterns for use in a tunic, dress, whatever, that I will wear under my robe. I already have the fabric chosen and purchased. I don't plan on exactly duplicating the typical male Jedi outfits worn by Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and now Anakin. The women on the Council both are dressed differently but simply, so I am going to choose something that will have the right feel for me but also be unique.

I got a great belt blank for the Jedi belt, which is hard to find in the proper width. So that was very cool.

Overall, I'd say things are coming along nicely and I will actually have a complete costume in time for Celebration. Woohoo!! :D

8. Jacen_DoYil

Jacen_DoYil Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Robes: check
    Sabers: check
    Jedi Comlink: Not so check

Is anybody else working on other miscellaneous items/prop for his or her tool belts?
    I have my Gillette Lady?s Sensor razor for my comlink, and have watched TPM DVD frame by frame, but I am having a hard time figuring out what all of those cylinders could be at the top of it may be made out of. I know the ?toy? version does not have them on it. Do you think they come off like some kind of optional sensor package?

Any ideas?

9. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Howdy southerly neighbors. I was just wandering around the Midwest and saw this thread.. Anyway a good how too site on lightsabers is The Big Yellow Box

I make my own lightsabers too out of PVC pipes and parts. It's a lot of fun and you don't need to do much with tools.

10. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Jacen, as far as the misc. items for the Jedi costume, I have a lot of work to do on the basic things still to do (make the belt, sew the tunic, finishing touches to lightsaber) to concentrate too much on the little stuff. I figure what I don't have for this Celebration, I will have ready for Celebration III.

BUT, I wanted to say that I know I have seen a sight on the internet sometime in the past that explained in detail how to make that item. I wish I had time to try to surf it up for you, but I'll have to leave that for you.

Good luck with it!

11. Mitb-ret-turuodo

Mitb-ret-turuodo Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2002
    I found a link on the MOSWC web site that takes you to other links showing you how to build lightsabers, Jedi robes, and other SW attire. MOSWC.com/props

12. matsuo

matsuo Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2002
    Greetings all! I suppose I could jump in here and say Howdy!

After reading this thread I was going to suggest that you check out the big yellow box but Doright beat me to it. :D
    But I concur, that is a good place to start for tutorials on building Custom Sabers.

Anyway I'm Matsuo, Costumer, Prop builder,Sabermaker and all around nice guy...LOL
    [face_blush]
    I'll post some pix of my SW garb later.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.