1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:WA The Star Wars Democracy, Part 1

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Pinback, Feb 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Is it just me, or does this feel like progress? A round of applause for the Club Secretary! Everybody make sure to read and savor that ad before skipping ahead to the TV listings insert!

Everybody give it up for JediLeia21, our newly-appointed Travel Coordinator!

Whenever we finally get around to making OR business cards, the job titles on them will knock people's eyes out!

Yes, I am getting the urge to chronicle the next phase of the SWD, but first I think it could only help us to get some more direct answers to the questions posted at the beginning of the thread, all the discussion and idea-swapping has been a thrill, but so far only Stinky Jawa and Chiron have really tackled those very important questions.

I'll make a deal with you all; fill up the rest of this topic's page with direct answers, and I'll start another installment. Sound good?

2. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Whoops! Is my face red!

Okay, since we've managed to fill up one page, let's see if we can fill up two!

Once again, here are the questions that started it all:

1.) Would you like to be a decision maker?

2.) How much time and effort would you be willing to contribute?

3.) If asked to pay a minimal annual membership fee, what do you expect in return for that investment?

4.) How do you feel OR should present itself to the larger Fandom community and the general public?

5.) What subjects and activities interest you, and how would you like to integrate them into OR?

I'll remind you, there are no wrong answers, and no points will be deducted on the basis of spelling, grammar or punctuation.

However, this time, there's a twist; a time limit. If all of you can post a direct answer to each or any of these questions (this goes for everyone who's already a member, too!), by March 1st, 2001, we'll have the information OR needs to draft a working Constitution, establish a fully-functional infrastructure, and begin preparations to debut the club at this year's SwanCon in April! Yeah I know, it's not money or a new car, but for those of you who want in on OR, and for those of us already in, it's important and beneficial to all of us! Plus, it's a very important lead-in to The Star Wars Democracy, Part 2, which commences March 2nd.

And at least you prospective members get the easy part; you only have to answer the questions!
  3. JediLeia21 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    1) Yes , I don't mind helping my fellow Outer rimmers in this

2) as much as possible

3)well i was a member of starlog before they closed down and they offered things like freebies things in with the membership , and that was what pulled me in to joining them

4) i feel the key is not to come on strong too much at first, but say that we are friendly star wars club and if u wanna be sourrended by SW fans , then this is the place to come , if we come on to strong at first , we might scare some ppl off .

5)well the interests that i have would no benifet OR , but the only thing that i have that doesn't involve , is reading , maybe have a own expended universe , dicussing john williams , and star wars books .

well there are my suggestions
  4. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, it's starting to slow down in here, and since I posed the questions, I guess it's only fair that I answer them, too.

1.) I would like very much to be a decision maker, I actually find the process of helping to build Outer Rim into a serious Fan organization very exciting and fulfilling.

2.) Like everybody else, I intend to invest as much of my free time as i feasibly and reasonably can. I've got my priorities just like the rest of you, and I'm working very hard to keep my OR activities in the proper line. Fortunately, this group really doesn't ask for as much as one would expect, so it's not like it's this great burden or anything. Besides, we have so much fun, which helps a lot!

3.) I expect my fair say in club matters to be heard and taken seriously, a shameful swag of cool free stuff, phat deals on movie/event tickets and to have a good time whenever OR gets together to do anything. I'm pretty simple to please.

4.) In my humble opinion, OR should totally defy and destroy all the stereotypes that plague the Fan community when they get together to celebrate their mutual interests. I actually think we should go out to events in plainclothes, with the possible exception of cool badges or T-shirts with our logo on them. Also, there are Fans out there in our community who cloister themselves away behind a pointless veneer of what they consider normalcy, keeping their collections and trappings hidden away from public view. I call them "closeted Fans," and there's no reason for them to treat themselves with such contempt. By breaking down the barriers caused by social criticism and stereotyping, we can encourage them to emerge and enjoy their interests, free from fear and pointless embarrassment.
    In short, I want Outer Rim to be the first universal Fan organziation, open and welcoming to all, even non-fans! It's a paradox, but I believe it can be acheived!

5.) As those who really know me know well, I'm very involved in entertainment, and the boom in Fan-Film production has been an extraordinarily encouraging sign for me. I've also been lucky enough to encounter other OR friends who have similar interests to varying degrees, and may even collaborate with them on a project I've just begun recently. I'd like to bring the benefit of my experiences in the Arts to the group any way I can. I've also already begun bringing some of my experience in marketing and specialty sales into club matters, they seem to be taking it well. I'm also happy to see that other interests like literature, music and even costume and props design have been embraced by OR, and even applied to our approaches to business contacts!

One last note; when actually speaking, I am capable of answering questions quickly and concisely. In print, well, you get the idea.
  5. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    My answers:

1. I don't mind being a decision maker, though I believe that the best decisions involve more than one person.

2. I'm willing to put a lot of time into organising the club and participating in general. It takes time to have a good time.

3. I expect group discounts on events. Occasional coventions. Newsletters and regular interaction with other fans.

4. I see the club as catering to everyone from hard-core fans, to those who have a casual interest in starwars, regardless of age etc.

5. PC games (network gaming sessions perhaps). Movies (group viewings ranging from watchig videos to full-on movie screenings). Conventions and collectors fairs.
  6. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I tried.

I woke up the other day... and suddenly I just didn't want it as much as I once did. Sad, but true.

May the Force be with you. Mean it.
  7. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah why not, I'll try and answer them, here we go:

1.) Would you like to be a decision maker?

YES, well not in everything but certainly a handful of things. Its also good for everyone to contribute, so we know where everyone stands on a subject.

2.) How much time and effort would you be willing to contribute?

DEPENDS, its depends on what is being talked about. For instance I can't stand doing paperwork or clerical sort-of-stuff. I would much rather stick to the design & promotion of Outer Rim, and the organization & running of Outer Rim. Not that paperwork stuff though, I'm not that good at stuff like that. My imagination is bigger then my maths! :D

3.) If asked to pay a minimal annual membership fee, what do you expect in return for that investment?

DEPENDS, depends how much we are talking. If we are talking like $20 a year, then I would be happy to have a membership card and just keep on running the thing. Otherwise if it is going to be more, I would like special discounts and/or special STUFF. Can't think of the word at the moment. :)

4.) How do you feel OR should present itself to the larger Fandom community and the general public?

ALL THE WAY BABY!! Well actually I prefer it to be release slowly gathering members, then when we have a decent amount, just let it rip and see how many more come in.

5.) What subjects and activities interest you, and how would you like to integrate them into OR?

All I can say on this one for now is to keep it to a Star Wars theme.

btw, Whats with Pinbacks last post? Did he die on us or something?
  8. JediLeia21 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    No, SK he has left Outer Rim
  9. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    What is it with people leaving before anything has even begun!! First Spider, now Pinback! Who's next?

PS. Ignore that last line! :D
  10. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    They may not be continuing with Outer Rim but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them. Either one might decide to come on board later on. As it is, they've both given us some great ideas and input. I'm glad for what they've done and they're both still welcome at meets, whether they become card carrying members or not.
    There will be benefits reserved for members but anyone else is welcome to join in when they can. Like PL said in another thread, the club and the forum are not the same thing so don't be surprised if Pinback and Spider still post here.
  11. Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Knight

star 3
    Cool, that means I can still post and drive Soneil nuts..;)
    You will not find me in "Club" threads-unless a brilliant idea suddenly hits me, but I'll hang-out in other areas.
  12. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah that sounds fair to me. :)
  13. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    I think now we're official, that the first post in this thread is still valid, any more thoughts? [face_devil]
  14. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Definitely! As new ideas come around, I hope we don't forget the old good ideas that we haven't yet had a chance to act upon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.