main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO The Star Wars Expanded Universe Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by chiss_man, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2005
    DANG! I went to puick up purge and it will not come in to next week they are sold out.
    WAH!!!!!

2. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    I bought Swarm War yesterday.

So now I can start on the Dark Nest trilogy.

I waited til all three were out so I wouldn't have to wait between books.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I can never do that. I have to read stuff as soon as I can because I'm always low on reading material. Almost done with Swarm War though, it's ok, not sure how they are going to get everything to work out. They've really changed the Solo kids so much that they are just meh anymore.

4. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I have to read stuff as soon as I can because I'm always low on reading material.

Lucky. :p

5. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I have to agree. I hate the whole "joiner" thing for Jaina, and the "I know more about the Force than anyone else" thing for Jacen.

I am happy about what they've finally done for Leia, but all in all, I wasn't too impressed with this trilogy. I am looking forward to the next series of books. Hopefully they'll be better (and tie up/fix some loose ends).

6. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Yes, but as far as Jaina is concerned, the book goes on and says that since Jaina and Zekk have been away from their own nest the collective mind is starting to dissipate. So they may be hinting that once they get taken away from the colony they will eventually return to normal, or mostly normal.

7. tuxz0r

tuxz0r Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2006
    The only EU books I've read are the NJO series. All 22 (or about that) books, which took me forever (amongst other reading). I have say, I thought the NJO storyline was actually good. However, not having read any of the previous books with Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Solo, I wasn't overly impressed with the writing for those kids in this series. I've found a lot of people who don't like NJO, but very few who do? Is that the case here?

8. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I adore the NJO, think it's the best bookseries I've read. Too many people dislike the NJO, for stupid reasons mostly, in my opinion.

9. shcook1138

shcook1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2003
    The thing I liked most about the NJO is that it was a cohesive story arc that came out in chronological order unlike the previous hodge-podge of EU novels. I thought the overall story was pretty good, actually, and most of the characters were handled pretty well. Still, I like the Zahn stuff better.

10. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I personally like NJO for a few reasons. 1. chronological order, 2. the young jedi and most of their characters, 3. We learn more about the other already established characters (Han, Leia, Luke, Wedge etc.) 4. and I like the introduction of the Vong and the whole of idea of them being stripped of the force. But, just my opinion.

11. tuxz0r

tuxz0r Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2006
    Nods, I was in love with the Yuuzhan Vong. A species from "outside the galaxy" who is stripped of the Force. Really, that was just about the only way the writers could give the Jedi a run for their money. Render their use of the Force meaningless against an enemy. The story arc was, in my opinion, very depressing for a long run of books. Somewhere near the end, I'm throwing up my hands and saying, "Oy! The Jedi will never figure this out. They'll all get decimated." It was all I could do to keep reading the books. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but was just very sad for most of the series. It need a few more rays of hope, or something. :)

12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I think that's why I liked the series so much, was because it was more down to earth. The good guys don't always win. It was more realistic. I could empathize with them more. That, and the storyline was exciting and I never got tired of it. Except for, in my opinion, the Agents of Chaos duology and the Force Heretic trilogy.

BTW, what happened to Droma anyways?

I just finished Unseen Queen. It was pretty good. I'm 100% sure Jacen is going to the dark side. And, he has a kid now.. Wow. And he'll do anything to save his child and Tenel Ka.. Hmm.. Can you say Anakin and Padme relationship all over again? It had a nice cliffhanger. I think Juun and Tarfang are good characters, Tarfang is hilarious. [face_laugh] I'd give it a B+.

13. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I picked up Outbound Flight today. Now just to find the time to actually read it...

14. shcook1138

Sep 16, 2003
    I decided to order online to save a couple bucks and to give me time to finish the dreaded Swarm War....

15. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    Finished Joiner King the other night, it was pretty good.

I liked how Luke saw the hologram of Padme. It helps bridge both PT and OT together I just started on the Unseen Queen, it looks to be pretty interesting to.

16. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    I do now have the Joiner King and Unseen Queen--haven't started either one yet...I'm not lucky enough to be low on reading materials...still have lots to catch up on!

17. shcook1138

Sep 16, 2003
    I just finished Swarm War. I had a brief flash of hope when Jacen was stabbed through the chest, but sadly he survived.... Now on to Outbound Flight! :D

18. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I just finished Dark Lord. Very good novel. Loved the last chapter.

Onto Swarm War...

19. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    WOW! Timothy Zahn has done it again. Outbound Flight was great!!! Nice to read a good Star Wars book expecially after suffering though the drivel that was written by Troy Denning. Two thumbs way up. =D=

20. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm gonna have to get that one. I'm with Shcook - I think Zahn has written the best EU stuff.

The Thrawn books were outstanding.

21. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah, Zhan is my favorite EU author, which might have something to do with the Thrawn trilogy was the first series I ever read. I'm about 1/4 through Outbound Flight and am enjoying it thoroughly.

22. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    The Thrawn Trilogy was also the first StarWars books that I ever read, they are the reason that I own nearly every EU book.

Oh I finished Unseen Queen last night, I'll have Swarm War finished by next weekend.

23. JeedaiElf

JeedaiElf Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Outbound flight!:eek: That book was awesome! I always like Tim Zahn and he didn't dissappoint me.:D
    I think it made me like Thrawn more and I really wanted to punch C'Baoth's lights out![face_beatup] [face_frustrated]
    I'm gonna have to read it again before it goes back to the library.:D
    *runs off to read it again*

24. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah, it really makes thrawn feel like a person instead of some random bad guy leader. And so apparently the insane clone of C'boath wasn't insane due to a problem with the cloning as previously thought.

25. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    Ok, now that you are done with Outbound Flight...go back and reread Survivors Quest. So much more enjoyable.
    I am with you concerning C'Baoth, he is a jedi knob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.