main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars Fan's Guide to THX-1138 and American Graffiti

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by AdamBertocci, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    An idea for a moderately interesting thread popped into my head last night. Here we go!

As y'all can observe from my posting habits in this forum, when I deign to step off my cloud and converse with mortals, I'm all about trying to spread love for "THX 1138" and "American Graffiti", Lucas' directorial efforts before his sensitive art film about a young man's loss of innocence and missed opportunity to pick up power converters.

Many Star Wars fans have picked up the Indiana Jones banner, but haven't given THX or Graffiti a toss. Why is that? (Aside from genre, childhood nostalgia factor, popularity, stars, production values, and marketing campaign?)

Thus, this thread is about things for Star Wars fans to watch for in THX and AG. Whether big-picture issues of aesthetics (the more pretentious, the better) or small points to note. Similar shots, discussions of Lucas' philosophy of life, sweeping statements on the history of cinematography, whatever, go nuts! Enthrall me with your exigesis! I'll post a couple of examples to start us off.

THX-1138:
    ? Yes, Virginia, there is a '1138', this is the movie that started off that trend of inside jokes we've grown to know and tolerate.
    ? Listen for "I think I ran over a wookie back there on the expressway..." amidst the radio intercom chatter. This is of course the source of Chewie's species name.
    ? In this film everyone is named with letters and numbers. Note that Lucas continues this theme of name-removal-as-dehumanization in the Star Wars saga; all droids are called by numbers, not named. Even friendly, informal names for droids are based on their serial numbers, and not, say, "Ralph".
    ? One might imagine the Trade Federation and the other corporate baddies of the prequels as a comic inversion of the great consumer-driven empire of THX. Recall of course that this film was made before Lucas had his own little corporate empire to oversee whilst still dealing with the same feelings.
    ? Compare SRT's self-awareness as a hologram to Threepio's self-awareness as a droid?possessing both perspective on the human race and yet a knowledge of certain detachment they can't get past, nor perhaps want to. Another case of the Star Wars situation being a more playful reflection of the THX, perhaps?
    ? Compare the frequent use of status updates from often-disembodied voices, particularly in the final chase, with the Rebel pilots' chitchat in the Battle of Yavin. Here Lucas uses dialogue not so much as a revelation of plot or character but sort of as a scoreboard, or the conductor's downbeat to set the tone for the scene.

AG:
    ? For the six people left in the world who don't know, Milner's license plate is THX-138. Oh yeah, and Harrison Ford's in this.
    ? Lucas made a big point of parallel editing in this movie, telling stories simultaneously and intercutting between them, a less common technique then than now. As you watch, consider how the choice of ordering scenes and stories makes the story more interesting or tense; compare with the parallel editing used to show (for example) the bulk of the story of ESB, the last battles of ROTJ, the middle portion of AOTC, the last battles of ROTS.
    ? Lucas has said all the four main guys (but mostly Terry) are reflections of his personality. How do you feel this compares with Luke being the Lucas analogue of SW? (As a starting point, consider Curt and Steve's shifting attitudes toward the future, further adventures, leaving home... who is most Luke-like when?) Do you see analogues for Han (besides the obvious Falfa), the cool guy Lucas wants to be but isn't quite?
    ? How do Lucas' female characters here compare/contrast with Leia, famed for being a strong female character beyond your simple 'damsel in distress'?
    ? Note how the frequent use of cars in this movie helps us visually link characters with vehicles, until seeing that yellow car of Milner's says "Milner" to us no less strongly than seeing Paul Le Mat onscreen. Compare with the distinctive starships of SW, and how markedly different the 'special' ships are from the good guy

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I know many people absolutely adore THX-1138, and the parallels you draw to Star Wars are very interesting. Just don't go into watching THX for the first time thinking you're about to view a proto-ANH. The movie has a very slow pace, very little action, humour. In fact for me it exhibits nothing that I hold so dear in the OT. I had to literally force myself to watch the thing and it took about 4 viewings to get to the end.

What I would like to see though is the original student film version. Perhaps the pacing would be more to my liking. Its not included on the DVD is it?

Don't forget this foreshadowing of classic Kenner catalogue shot;

[image=http://www.pixelydixel.com/img/thx1138.jpg][image=http://www.toysrgus.com/images-toys/12inch/12in-st-catalog.jpg]

:p

I haven't seen AG in about 25 years, so should really dig that out sometime.

> until seeing that yellow car of Milner's

[image=http://www.ragtagfilm.com/archives/images/graffiti.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/community/event/museum/img/powerhouse3_7.jpg]

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I have yet to see THX-1138 despite wanting too. I never did get around to buying it when it came out and it's no longer available in my area. AG I have seen but only once and I was slightly disappointed with it. Not that there was anything bad with the film or actors I just don't find going around crusing all that interesting, not in real life and not in movies either. I was surprised at the amount of language as well. My favorite character arc was Charles Martin Smith's. Very funny.

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    The original version of 1138 is on the DVD release, but I'm yet to sit down and go through all of the extras on tehe 2 disc set. The movie itself, despite perhaps being a bit long, I just couldn't help but watch.

And am I the only one who laughs aloud when the wookiee is mentioned? :p

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The student film short version, or the non-Special Edition version of the full movie?

6. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    the 'original' original, i.e. Electric Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB (his student film).

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Great. I may have to try and rent that.

8. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    Both THX1138 and especially American Grafitti are two of the best movies ever made. I absolutely love those movies and they really show what a huge talent Lucas has! :D

9. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    There are much more similarities between THX and SW than that. In many ways, THX 1138 is like a proto-star wars, containing many of the same characters, themes and imagry.

The prevalent theme of man versus machine, and of the little guy fighting back against an oppressive system. There is a speeder chase, proto-jawas called shell dwellers, vaguely religious and japanese overtones and a cloaked spectre who bears more than a passing resemblance to the Emperor. The robotic policemen would transform into stormtroopers and even the hologram character can be seen to be similar to Obi Wan Kenobi in many ways. The notion of a "used universe" as the term was coined also is prevenalent here. Then of course there is the names and the wookie reference. Lucas was obviously building up to Star Wars for a long time. The missing elements would be filled in with American Graffiti--in the form of the humour, action and naviety, and prototype forms of Luke and Han.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.