1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:NZ The Star Wars films over six nights

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    OK, so I am insane, but Vanessa and I really wanted to watch episodes I - VI in order over six consecutive nights. We did it. It was fun. Some comments.

> Episode I still kinda sucks in comparison to the other films. Oddly, it didn't bother me too much at time, but I think it's aged really badly compared to the other two PT films.

> Much as I like Episode III, in may ways it's just a little _too_ dark compared to the other five films. There's really no light-heated letup, which means it sits oddly amongst the others. Also, there's almost no C-3PO. You almost forget he's a character. That being said, the C-3PO scenes at the end of Ep II have the opposite effect. They're too frivilous and throwaway in comparison.

> "Empire" is still the absolute standout film, no question ... Greatest film of all time.

> "Jedi ..." is, I think, deeply flawed. At it's best it's just brilliant ... the space battles are amazing, and the whole Han/Leia thing I wonderful. But I really think the finale falls a little flat. Whatever version you watch, I just come away at the end thinking something more could have been made of it than peopledacing to Ewok music and hugging each other.

It's interesting seeing the character revelations about Vader and Obi-Wan in the light of the PT. The scene when Vader and Obi-Wan met on the Death Strar is poignant, as it Yoda revealinh himself to Luke on Dagobah. I know opinions are divided on whether the PT really adds anything to the story, but I really enjoyed watching the story as a six-part story arc, and I think it's something I'll do every year or so from now on.

Anyone else done this? Any thoughts? And can we please stop talking about kids with sheets now please?
  2. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No, haven't done it yet...

Don't the saber battles just SUCK in the OT though now? It's almost painful watching them. lol Esp after yoda and Dooku etc's skills.

That whip thread is keeping this entire forum from being pruned, so :p
  3. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    We know :)

the key is "in comparison to other films". having said that there are moments when you ask yourself "why George, why?". The then 10 year olds still loved it, and the harcore fans still do too. Duel of the fates is still cool and lots of character building esp. obi wan.

Dark is good [face_devil]

you missed ANH... but true. AT AT's are da bomb.

must get round to it - I've always thought of how qoutes and scenes in the OT relate to the PT, i guess watching them in order would give a bit more meaning to such scenes.
  4. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think the sabre battles in "Empire ..." and "Jedi" are OK. Luke's young and inexperienced, and Vader's an old man and probably out of shape. But the one in ANH looks pretty bad, especially Obi-Wan's little twirl.

Oddly, you never hear the origin of the name "Ben" Kenobi. Unless "old Ben Kenobi" was just Luke's mishearing of "Obi Wan Kenobi". (And yes, I know, there's probably an entire novel in the EU dedicated to explaining this ...)
  5. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Luke's young and vader's old and out of shape.

1/ if vader was 'just' old and out of shape, that's bollocks - need I say Yoda?

2/ I'm just guessing his machine legs and whatnot just can't move as proficiently as flesh :p

But yea, I'd never thought of those saber duels in that light... so fair play I guess ;)
  6. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ok, so I've done almost the same. Just fell asleep during a few of the movies and had to restart them from the last recalled point the next day or night.

1. Ok, so after the lava, Vader loses a lot of mobility in fighting, and obi-wan is old, this can account for the 'lame' duel in A New Hope.

2. Time gaps between movies in the New Trilogy are a hell of a lot longer than in the OT.

3. New Trilogy focuses a lot on the Sith and Evil side of the plot and tells the audience what's going on. Dooku talking to Trade Fed, Palp talking to Ani / Vader. There is virtually NOTHING in comparison in the OT in regard to the creation of the new Death Star etc.

4. Why *does* Yoda act so childish when Luke first arrives on Dagobah?

5. Why does he say, after Luke says "I'm not afraid", "You will be. You will be!" Fear leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Why is Yoda telling Luke he WILL feel fear in the first conversation about him being trained as a Jedi? Seems strange.

6. Obi-wan says "Was I any different when you trained me?, to Yoda - slight muck-up with New Trilogy due to Qui-Gon training him and not Yoda. :p

7. Time frame;

Han/Leia/Chewie leave Hoth, get chased into Asteroids.
    Luke goes to Dagobah.
    Han lands in monster in asteroid - they get bombarded by TIE Bombers.
    Luke learns handstands.
    Bounty Hunters arrive on Vaders Star Destroyer
    Han makes a get away and then attaches the Falcon to the Star Destroyer and drifts off with Garbage.
    Han goes to Bespin.
    Boba Fett follows, obiously tells Vader his possible destination.
    Vader somehow beats the Falcon to Bespin and turns Lando into helping him catch Han / Luke.
    Luke senses the future and goes to Bespin.
    Luke battles Vader and does pretty well.

How does Luke learn the force so fast, when his father (the chosen one) took YEARS to become a decent Jedi, and even then the Council didn't let him become a Master when they let him on the Council.
    How long does Han stay inside that Asteroid?
    How does Vader beat them to Bespin? (Falcon's hyperdrive is bung? so they fly at normal speed the whole time, which vader goes hyperspace?)
    How does Boba know that's where they're going? And HOW does the Falcon not pick up Slave-1 on sensors mere meters behind them when they leave the garbage floating through space?????

After that Vader / Luke Battle - Luke is also not just good at Saber techniques, but mind control on Jabba??? He certainly becomes a Jedi fast!
  7. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah, I'd always wondered how long the asteroid chase was, how long the Falcon was locked onto the Star Destroyer, and how long Han, Leia etc. were on Bespin before they were betrayed, and how long they were captured. I figure that athe absolute longest, given a maximum of a day or so for each thing to happen, that the timeline must be a week or so. Which makes Luke's training with Yoda fast-tracked, to say the least.

But then, there's also the implication that the force is VERY strong in Luke - more powerful than Anakin - and that Obi Wan essentially unlocked some latent power. Also, bear in mind, I'm sure a lot of the training of the "younglings" in the Jedi temple had nothing to do with actually mastering the force. There would have been history, politics, diplomacy, and the kind of military/monastic training whih doesn't really have much to do with anything other than forging bond, camaradie and love between the fellow Jedi. What Luke was getting was just the basics ... how to levitate stuff and how to use a light sabre.

Secondly, there's the time lag between "Empire" and "jedi", which I've always figured was about six months or so ... long enough for Lando to infiltrate Jabba's palace. (This kinda ties in with the "Shadows of the Empire" thing which came out about 10 years ago.) I've always assumed that Luke would have spent some time in Obi Wan's house during that stuff, reading through Obi Wan's book, building a new lightsabre and consolidating everything he's learnt both practically and from Obi Wan and Yoda.

But, yes, even given all that, it's a stretch.
  8. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Reading his book?

Why wouldn't Luke have gone back to Dagobah between Empire and Jedi to learn more?

But yea, the time line is a bit odd in that period.

The other odd thing that JUST came to me.

End of Empire, Luke and Leia stand in the Frigate and watch Lando and Chewie leave in the Falcon... but when Leia turns up at Jabba's, she has Chewie in handcuffs. And yea, Lando's working for Jabba.

Unless the timeline is much shorter, Lando TAKES THE PLACE of the worker and uses his uniform at Jabba's, and Luke and Leia catch them up after Luke's hand is working properly.

/shrugs/
  9. Kai_Halicon Jedi Master

star 4
    From what I've read on EU stuff, Luke apparently spent about 3 months training with Yoda.

And the gap between ESB & ROTJ was about six months, according to Shadows of The Empire.
  10. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  11. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    three months between Hoth and Bespin? That makes for either a long chase through the asteroids, a long time in the belly of a space slug, a long time clamped to a star destroyer or a long time hangin' out on Bespin before Luke shows up. I always got the impression it took place over the course of a few days.

That being said, watching Episode IV, it seems like the entire sequence of events happens in about a day. I guess the one thing about SW is that you're never sure how lng it takes to travel from place to place in space as there's no relative timeline.
  12. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    But Han and Luke never get Five O'Clock shadow!

But yea, I always thought the asteroid chase was over a day or two, hence my questions about Lukes training... Months seems right... but they say Bespin is the closests to go to because they had hyperdrive problems.... so I guess.

Boba Fett guesses that, tells Vader where they're heading, Vader hyperspaces it to Bespin and 'arrives right before they do' (as Lando says) and The Falcon takes a long time to fly there, then spents a significant amount of time before Luke gets there.

/shrugs/

13. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah, but ... three months? The sexual tension between Han and Leia couldn't have lasted that long cooped up in the Flacon anyway.
  14. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    AND... 3 months inside the gut of a huge asteroidial space slug? You'd think digestively they would have felt something long before they shot it... and Mynocks would have been attracted the the power cables far sooner than 90days.

:p
  15. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I figure this is about the only SW based thread around these parts, so maybe someone can clarify these things for me...

Leia has images of her mother (when talking to luke on Endor), yet she dies at birth [face_plain]

Leia and Luke are to be hidden from the Emperor and Vader, yet they send Luke to Vader's ONLY family on Tatooine (kinda obvious), and Leia ends up serving the Galactic Senate running diplomatic missions (as Vader and her discuss when she's captured over Tatooine in Ep4), and why can't Vader see resemblance or feel her presence in Leia when he captures and tortures her.

And why does Yoda give up fighting the Emperor so easily? :p
  16. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The Force did it. Implanted memories from inside the womb. Or maybe she's just getting her memories mixed up - you know what it's like when you see something again from your childhood and it doesn't actuall match your memory. (And Lucas was making it up as he went along, Leia wasn't Vader's/Padme's daughter in SW or ESB for that matter - Lucas just decided on that for ROTJ). (More theories)

Uhh. To painful for Vader to set foot on the planet where mommy died? By the time of her capture Leia hadn't 'unlocked' any of her latent force potential for Vader to 'see'. (And Lucas was making it up as he went along, Leia wasn't Vader's daughter in SW or ESB for that matter - Lucas just decided on that for ROTJ)

get reading... (And Lucas was making it up as he went along, Leia wasn't Vade... oh, hang on)

17. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    lol... fair enough but in ESB Yoda says, in reply to Ben's "that boy is our only hope", "No, there is another"... so was Lucas just making it up as he went along and it could have been Chewie?
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yep. Initially it was someone else (maybe a new character) - or maybe Vader redeeming himself (as it played out). Leia just got written into that plot point in ROTJ. She wasn't the intended subject of that line when Lucas wrote it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.