main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto The Star Wars Games Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, May 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Having recently recieved Starfighter for the PS2 (thank you thank you thank you), and having wiped the drool off of the keyboard after reading up on Galaxies, I thought I'd start up a thread to discuss. Not just one game in specific though. Let's talk about all of SW gaming, from board games (Escape the Death Star!), to card games(got'im, got'im, need'im, got'im), to the video games ("the AT-AT's pink now! Empire on the Atari 2600 rocks!").

So - preamble aside, on with the thread.

================

Star Wars Galaxies

When the initial news of this game came out, my reaction was *yawn*. So they've taken Everquest and plopped SW characters onto it. It's a big official mod.

But the more I read about this http://pc.ign.com/previews/15656.html the more my interest is being piqued. What clinched it was the news that there would be a space expansion, allowing you to buy a ship and fly it http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/space_expansion.jsp

If the game is as good as word has it, then this is it folks. The end of the world. The economy is going to suffer a complete collapse as everyone who ever dreamt of being in Star Wars coccoon themselves into their apartments to live in SW galaxies 24/7.

Go to the office to work on production spreadsheets?! Are you kidding?!? I just built a lightsabre and I'm going to take on a major crimelord!

The car? Fine. Repossess the thing. I don't need it. I just bought the Millenium Falcon.

We have a year before we never see one another again, save for our avatars.

[edited to add links]

2. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Galaxies has me pretty excited, as does ALL the others (how will I afford the PS@, GameCube, XBox and a new P4 1Ghz?). But the one I can't wait for is Battlegrounds. I am a HUGE fan of Ensembles Age of Empires series. If you haven't played them, you have missed out on the best games I think in the past few years (along with Jedi Knight). And now, updating the engine just a little more and replacing the Franks, Vikings, Brits, Mayans and the rest with AT-ATs, snowspeeders, X-Wings, Rebel Troopers and more......can you say pre-order???? It'll be interesting to see how they change the play from it's current food/resource gathering and army building to fit in the SW universe. But I don't doubt the Ensemble & LucasArts will pull it off in an amazing way. AoE/AoK has been the most popular non-subscription online retail game. How much better will it be playing it in GL's backyard?

3. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001

I agree wholeheartedly, Tragic... SWGalaxies will trigger the end of civilization as we know it. I'll finally have to cast-aside my high-end G4-workhorse and finally buy one of these toy "PC's" that I've been hearing so much about. Who needs money when you can prance around Tatooine as a sexy Twi'lek dancer?

This particular piece from the official FAQ was what really made me think of this group and smile with malicious glee:

"6.13 Will there be player-run cities in the game?
    Yes. If enough players colonize a portion of the map, they will be able to declare themselves to be a city, elect city officials, decide what powers officials can have, and determine local laws and factional alignment."

:) :D [face_laugh] :D :)

I'm very disheartened, though, by the lack of Bith among the species-selection... Wouldn't it be keen to play as a Bith with Bard-type musical powers like those in Everquest?
    (Keen for *me*, at least ^_^ )

~mikewood~
    [ w/ new&improved screenname! ]

4. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    And the new supreme high decision making guy of Big Honk'n City is....

Tragic!

"A surprise to be sure!" :)

5. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Hey! I'm a Twi'Lek! :eek:
    Actually, they're now saying they'll charge a monthly fee for the game...Dammit! I guess I can postpone college... ?[face_plain] (What was that you said about civilisation ending?)
    :p

6. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001
    But... you can't be a supreme-high-decision-making-guy with a name like "Tragic"! People in positions-of-power in the SW universe must always have a name comprised entirely of seemingly-random letter and sounds, i.e., "Adi Gallia", "Plo Koon", "Omar Epps", and especially Senator "Osh-kosh B'Gosh".

Dangitall!!! "JediWarrior" is using the same Kevin-Spacey-rebel icon as I am. [face_plain]

~mikewood~

7. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    That's not Kevin Spacey, it's Jack McKenzie (AKA Cal Alder)
    //can't believe he actually admitted he had the entire cast memorised, down to the exact rebel hoth soldier [face_blush]

8. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm looking forward to Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 for GameCube. That looks amazing and since I loved the first game, I'm expecting the next one to be even better!

Jedi Knight 2 is about a year away from release but that's something that I'd also like to get, if it turns out as good as the first.

Money. Money. Money.

9. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    >People in positions-of-power in the SW
    >universe must always have a name comprised
    >entirely of seemingly-random letter and
    >sounds

That's why I resort to my Star Wars name, Traad Olgri. Time to dust off my iron fist.

10. td741

td741 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    Hmm...

Video Games... video Games. :p

I loved the sit down Star Wars blue-vector-graphic game. There was a very good version of it on the Amiga. :p

After that, let's see... The SNES platformers were pretty decent.

I like the 32X Star Wars arcade, and Star Wars Demolition on the Dreamcast is actually pretty good.

Seems like Jedi Power Battles looks to be quite good on the Dreamcast compared to the PSX version? I might look into it.

Anyone tried "Super Bombad Racing" on the PS2? :p

11. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    I've got a wonderful emulation of the Star Wars Arcade Game --- both the actual arcade and the Atari 2600 versions. :)

Ah the many quarters I'd pump into that big blue box whilst a pale tinny version of the Star Wars theme hummed away and Han shouted "Yahoo! You're all clear kid!" time, after time, after time.

That's how the Empire could have won this thing. Dozens of Death Stars, one after another, each with a successively better defended exhaust port and faster tie fighters.

12. Bertramtalespinner

Bertramtalespinner Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2000
    Ooooooooh Tragic!

An emu of the original vector Star Wars coin op?!?

GIMMIEE!!!

(I need something else to take me away from what I should be doing)

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.