main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC The Star Wars games thread!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Master_Damir, Nov 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Alright, since we haven't had anything of this sort in a while (not to my knowledge anyway) I thought I'd get an opinion from you guys on what you think of any Star Wars game. Which you like, don't like, stuff like that.

Games like Jedi Outcast, Dark Forces, Rouge Squadron etc.

Recommend games you like, ask questions and discuss.

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    SW games and I have a long history. ;) First it was X-Wing as a gift, and that is still one of my all-time favourite games. Then came Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Rogue Squadron, Starfighter, Galactic Battlegrounds and now Jedi Outcast. I don't have all of these anymore, but I certainly enjoyed playing all of them. Right now I'm hooked on Outcast, it's a fantastic game. Of course, once Knights of the Old Republic is released, I'll have a new obsession. ;)

3. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, Outcast was great! I was amazed with the great lightsaber and force controls. Now i'm getting into more the Flight sims and I'm going to tomorrow get Rouge Squadron as I've only been hearing good things about it. I'm currently playing Starfighter, but it's not all that great...

Star Wars galaxies also looks like its going to be a good one and Knights of the old republic looks like it will be a new obsession for me too :)

4. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah, Starfighter's alright but it's nothing compared to XWA in terms of detail, despite the age difference. I'd play SWG as well, but I don't have the cash to keep forking out money every month for it. :(

5. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Jedi Knight 2 rocks. Multiplayer is a yawn but.

6. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Rogue Squadron was good... I liked the novelty of podracing on the N64 too, but it wore off pretty quickly!

7. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I clocked podracer in a day and a half on 64.

8. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    To me, the only flight-simulator games worth buying are TIE fighter (the best in my opinion!) and X-Wing vs TIE fighter (which I bought without knowing you needed[/i] a freakin joystick). They butched the flight-simulator games thereafter: they got rid of the whole mission appeal thingy. They even made it a bit crappy in X-wing vs TIE fighter.

What really worked with TIE fighter was that it was simple, bloody good fun, challenging and had a story line easy to follow. I played Rogue Squadron not long ago, and it didn't really have all this. Bring back the old format!

9. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    TIE FIGHTER was brilliant! I passed Jedi Knight 2 in 4 days! casually!

10. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Crickey, good idea Damir!

Well, XWA was a real winner for me in terms of best game for it's time. But I am surprised no one has mentioned one of the ALL TIME greats IMHO, Star Wars: Rebellion.

Who's played or even heard of it? It wasn't universally known, but it was a real strategy based almost C&C type engine, amalgamated to the SW universe. For it's time, it was awesome!

DF an DF:II were both good and fun foray's into the Doom Genre, and BattleGrounds was alright, but I found it pretty dissapointing.

If I had the cash, I would LOVE Galaxies. What a good concept eh? It would be so worthwhile, but as with Hawk, the constant cash restraint holds me back.

Starfighter and RS were both good, but I'm yet to play Outcast. I take it that it's something special? I hear there is a secret Yuuzhan Vong mission in there somewhere?

11. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    I was extremely disappointed with Rebellion. I thought it was lame you could recruit everyone from the same planet. You'd think you'd have to do a little more adventuring to find more Rebels/Soldiers. But going into Leia's powers was good.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Battle for Naboo? LucasArts have made some poor decisions in regards to Star Wars games.

Star Wars Galaxies also looks great, but without broadband and aussie servers, what's the point?

12. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    YES! for every 100 games Lucas Arts has made there is 1 good game! Excellent marketing ploy but poor gaming sense!

13. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I never played Rebellion or Force Commander (though I did try a demo of FC once, wasn't a big fan of it). I played Battle for Naboo on N64, it was okay but nothing to write home about. It was basically Rogue Squadron, minus a decent plot.

If you haven't played Outcast yet, you have to try it. The first couple of levels are average, but it's sweet fun once you get your lightsaber. I don't know about any Yhuuzan Vong (sp?) level, though. That would be pretty fun.

14. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    Galaxies is the evolution of Rebellion, and unlike the evolution of TIE fighter and all that, its bloody good. This guy across the road has it and I would describe it as very firm. Thing is, you need a start of the art computer...damn! But games are too expensive anyway, and not really worthwhile if you can go to the city and play $2 an hour!

15. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jan 19, 2002
    Galaxies looks like it will be big, but I dont think I'll get into it much as I dont have the computer requirments nor the money right now to buy it. But of course, I will ocasionally go to play it at Cybers or something like that.

Now, I'm planning to get another flight sim (SW) game and I just can't decide on what to get. So anyone get any suggestions? XWA, Rouge Squadron, TIE fighter, TIE vs W-Wing? I'm really looking for good gameplay and story line, graphics would be an extra. BTW, i do have a joystick.

16. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    XWA really has it all in terms of gameplay, though I suggest you get all four if you've got the cash. The whole set would be dirt cheap these days, and the first two (X-Wing and TIE Fighter) have great storylines and great gameplay, but admittedly their graphics and sound is fairly dated now. They're still great fun though, there's even leagues on the 'net that make and play custom missions for the whole series (something I used to do for nearly 3 years until the onset of exams).

17. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Jet-Eye, come on, PCs now are as cheap as, an upgrade will cost you hardly anything! Who buys software?

18. The-Lute

Sep 29, 2002
    Well, just thank god you never played Rebellion, and hope that you never lay your eyes on the trash - Rebel Assault 1 + 2.

Jedi Outcast was amazing. For those who played it, see if you can get hold of the mod "The Ladder". It will test your skills, where you are successively pitted against Jedi Clones in increasing difficulty, and outnumbered odds, starting at one on one and progressing to fight many at once. I think theres about 50 all up, before fighting Desann, hence the name "The Ladder"

But Knights Repub is the one I'm drooling for!

19. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I killed Desaan without laying a hand on him. I hid behind a column and knocked it over on top of him! To easy!

20. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    The Ladder is awesome fun. And if you know cheats, it's customisable too. Try taking on Tavion and Desann at the same time, or spawning a Jedi to help you out with those troublesome Reborns. Not to mention the sweet music playing in the background. :D

21. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jan 19, 2002
    The music throughout the whole game rocked! The Force theam, the Imperial March and there was new music made just for the game!

Mixo - I did a similar thing with the first boss (Dessans partner, the woman). When she was talking I used Force choke, picked her up and threw he over the edge.

The Ladder was great fun, but what really pi$$ed me off was that boss that dressed himself in the robot suit and had that force shield around him. I nearly gave up on the game because of him!

22. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Er, not in my version. It's meant to be just normal Desann. You didn't happen to play a level that involved the shield guy, did you? ;)

I played the Geonosis hangar level before playing The Ladder, so consequently I ended up as Anakin, Desann was Dooku and when I spawned Luke he appeared as Obi-Wan. That's kinda cool. :D

23. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Interesting perspectives.

Worth a giggle I'll admit, to see the polarised views of 'this game rocks!' and 'no it sucked' that I always thought was a myth to discredit geeks.

Hehe...We're so sad....Go Star Wars = teh good!111!!!!11

24. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Even with Jedi powers I used to love just blasting people. I also loved picking up Stormtroopers and dropping them over edges.

25. The-Lute

Sep 29, 2002
    Favourite Force Powers?

Mine was Force Pull, until lvl3 grip. Just pulling their guns out of their hands, and watching them run and scream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.