main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The Star Wars Party of a Lifetime! - ONE MORE DAY!!!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Golly geez I wish I had a credit card to go to this on. Since there won't be anymore MuppetFest's, this would be as close as I could get.

Especially if someone dresses up as an Ewok.

OOH! SPH! SPH!! For real, too!

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The overriding theme of the Celebration experience is "How Badly Do You Want To Do/See This?" It will test the limits of your devotion to SW, your determination, and your sanity. So here's how you prepare:

1. Wear sensible, comfortable shoes even you are costuming. You will be on your feet for hours at a time.

2. Be prepared for long lines. Even though they have changed some things to cut back on lines, they're still going to happen, especially for more popular guests and exhibits or to get inside the convention center each morning! Expect to wait as long as 2-3 hours for some things.

3. Use social connections to your advantage. You and your friends can take turns waiting in line or someone can grab freebies or lunch for you while you're waiting for everyone else. If you're alone, take the time to meet your fellow line people. They will hold a place for you if you have to go pee or something and you'll meet some very nice, interesting fellow fans.

4. Get a locker. They are located near the restrooms on your left as you walk in. They're 25 cents to a $1.25 depending on the size of the locker. You drop your coins in and take the key with you. That's it. This way you can stash your freebies, autographs, purchases, etc., and not have to carry them around with you all day.

5. Unless there's something you're dying to see, the first thing you should do after getting a locker is go get your exclusives, especially the action figures. Daily allotments of figures ran out before lunchtime. And the lines just got longer.

6. Take advantage of any fast-passes offered for autographs and events. They're going to have an autograph pull service for people who don't feel like waiting in line again this time.

7. Bring mylar sleeves and backing boards to protect any autographs. If you have to haul them home, you'll want them in pristine shape.

8. Bring a mailing tube or a long plastic tube for posters, and rubber bands. The licensees give away tons of free posters and you'll want to protect them.

9. You will not have a lot of time for meal breaks, so sneak a snack in there with you. I brought bagels and Slim Fast. The last time, some booths ran out of food the first day. At lunch time the lines got really long, and to top it off, the grub is pricey. However, if you do find yourself with time to run and get lunch, head over to the mall across the street or some of the nearby restaurants. Sneak in a water bottle too. Don't waste your time in the convention center. You can leave and come back.

10. Be prepared for chaos. Not everything will go as planned and in typical convention fashion, rules can change at the drop of a hat, such as when they decided to require tickets for some events on the first day of Celebration II.

11. You will not have time to do everything, even with an extra day added to the convention. The best thing to do is figure out what or who you are dying to see or do and plan everything else around it. The last time, my must sees-must dos were seeing Hayden and Carrie and attending the Saturday night concert. Everything else happened on an opportunity basis. A friend with a press pass got my friend and I around long lines to see the Lucasfilm Archives exhibit. I happened to be going by a room where Rick McCallum was having a presentation at 9:30 in the morning and saw that there were some chairs left. I wish I could've seen The Star Wars Trilogy In 30 Minutes but I nevertheless got to see the biggies, so I went home happy.

12. If you are a collector, bring an empty suitcase, leave extra room in your car. The last time, UPS set up shop there to ship items home. Consider taking advantage of it if it's there this time.

3. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    do you know if they allow backpacks?

4. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm hoping so. That's what I was going to take.

My friend Miss Padme wrote this up on the AS/PAS thread.

5. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    good advice... this is my first con so i didn't really think about most of that; reading it is a big help :)

6. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Geez...I wish I had known some of this stuff when I went to New York City for a week. :oops:

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

7. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I think I'm gonna bring a can of "Axe" body spray with the "Lava Burst" scent so I can spray stinky fans. J/K

8. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    You say that...but when you get there, you'll find yourself "accidentally" dousing your fellow geeks in order to preserve your delicate nose.

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    For those of you riding with me and Traci, remember to pack as light as possible!

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I've got my luggage and then my backpack/duffle for under my feet.

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    This will be the smallest suitcase I've ever brought to anything. I even have those special bags that you squeeze all of the air out of and suck your garments down to a smaller size.

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm bringing Fed Ex airbills. [face_mischief] We are on the downhill slope now!!! two more days!!!!!

13. IrishThunder

Jul 5, 2001
    All I know is that I'm packing plenty of sinus meds. I refuse to have my trip ruined because of issues with head cavities.

14. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    What are FedEx airbills? Are they like traveler's checks? All the dealers will have CC machines, right?

15. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    just wanted to let you guys know that the Southern Outpost is planning on hosting a tailgate party every night out behind the convention ctr.Its BYOB (bring your own brats).
    if you guys are out wandering the party scene at night look for the RV with the outpost banner on it,
    cya
    skip

16. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Everybody be safe and have fun!

17. blackdogotaku

blackdogotaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    oohhhh i cant wait!
    are we gonna plan cool stuff to meet up? or do i have to just look for the 9 ppl i have met once out of the 25000 i dont know?

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    AAAARRRGGGGHHH! The excitement is killing me!

We leave in less than 30 hours!

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
  20. IrishThunder

Jul 5, 2001
    Forget less than 30 hours until C3 we've got just under 30 days until E3. Rock! So are we all gonna meet up somewhere when we get there or are we just kinda all on our own until we meet up?

21. blackdogotaku

Oct 14, 2004
    yeah
    any ideas for meeting up?
    i wont get there until sat around noon, so its more like 40 some odd hours 70 some odd hours for me

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Just had to update the main title to read: ONE MORE DAY!!!

It's so exciting that ROTS is less than 30 days away!!! I think this may be a little bit more exciting to me because it won't happen again. I'll never get to meet SW fans like this again right before the last movie and feel that excitement again, especially to this extent. This is it. Last big party of a generation. Celebration doesn't even begin to cover it. After this it is only lining up to see it that first night and watching it over and over. That will be exciting, but I've done that before. Either way we go, we can't lose!

Tim and I will have our cell phones on. As will Jay and Sal, I'm sure. We are at the Hampton Inn by the Convention Center. Call Tim when you get into the area. Everyone is probably going to do their own schedules, so if you are doing something someone else is then meeting up sounds like a great idea.

23. blackdogotaku

Oct 14, 2004
    is there a way i can pick up one of those numbers
    without it being posted on the internet. that never good, y'know?

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Check your PM's, Philip. I just sent you my number.

ONE DAY MORE!

Another day, another destiny.
    This never-ending road to Calvary...

Ooops.. That's not Star Wars... That's Les Miserables!

Gotta get stuff finished up and get my butt to bed. I meant to be asleep 30 minutes ago!

25. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    Shame on you, Tim. 30 minutes past your bedtime!

sadly, for Philip and I the celebration doesn't start until Saturday (the earliest we can get there) but I'm still looking forward to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.