main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Star Wars prequels in pre-production

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Jan 25, 2016.

1. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Here's a site I found in regarding to what the PT were during productions.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/storyboards-reveal-the-amazing-star-wars-prequel-you-ne-510134498

I Think this belongs in another thread however I'm not sure but if so, just tell me Mods.

While the site is the typical "If only the prequels were awesome like this" It does provide some valid information.

Fun Fact: This storyboard is when Qui-Gon is active but in another earlier one, GL stated that Qui-Gon's role was actually not intact in the beginning. It was in fact, Obi-Wan who was going to be alot older. Qui-Gon never was going to exist but he split 2 of the characters and made them their own person.

Another Fun Fact: Padme was initially going to try and Kill Anikan in ROTS.

2. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Interesting, but the prequel bashing in that article is some of the most annoying prequel bashing - the more insidious kind. "Lucas didnt go in this direction and therefore it sucks". There are tons of ways that an author can take a story, but its only the prequels that get bashed for not going EXACTLY the way that a SW fanboy wants it. Its so idiotic and dumb. "Qui gon should have had a mohawk" Really??? Did they really want Qui gon to be as young as Obiwan?? They didnt want a wise mentor in the movie??? "Otta Gunga wasnt destroyed and therefore the movie sucks." Really????? "This would have been awesome because it would have been darker." Really???? Do these supposed SW fans have no appreciation for tonal variation? Now, dont get me wrong. I like dark movies. In fact, they tend to be my favorite ones. But you have to be very careful with that stuff, because if you have too many dark moments you will get desensitized to them, and you may even have trouble suspending disbelief (most people's lives arent THAT dramatic or traumatic.)

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Yeah. I felt that most of the decisions made for the PT were great. I would hate for all this "edgy" stuff that many wanted to be in the film. Keeping the dark things subtle and not in your face all the time was a much better way of doing things.

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    NO WAY GUYS EDGY IS KOOOOOLLLL.

I wanna see Darth Vader killing peeps listening to death metal!

I wanted to see Obi Wan flipping off Separatists blasting NWA from his star fighter.

Pweqwills ruined SW!!!!!

5. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002

Exactly. That's what I loved about TPM. Its a much darker film than most people realize.

6. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    LOL'd at this. Mainly because the image of Obi-Wan driving by in a starfighter flipping of Seppies...and relating to the article, it would've been so edgy to see QGJ with a mohawk! Wouldve saved the prequels![face_laugh]

CIS Droid and Deliveranze like this.
  7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The one thing I like about that is that it gives us Jar Jar's reaction and clarifies that he isn't some "Uber Sith" hiding in plain sight. Had Lucas gone with that storyboard scenario, it could have headed off that rather insulting "Reddit" theory years ago.

In fact, you began your post by declaiming that page for displaying "insidious" prequel bashing. To me, the Malignant Jar Jar theory is Exhibit A. What could be more insidious, more calumnious, more condescending, and more pretentious than sarcastically mocking Lucas and trying to redeem Jar Jar with some errant, ill-conceived, slurry farce of a polemicized fan theory?

I concur. Tonal variation is very important in Star Wars. It has enough Freudian undertones and seizing grandeur to benefit significantly from a multiform tapestry.

That, and, y'know, I like Jar Jar's small moment of pride ("mesa no think so!") when the pessimistic Panaka suggests that the Gungans were "wiped out", which would perhaps have been incongruent if he'd been shown coming upon a decimated Otoh Gunga first.

Still, it is interesting to look at those early storyboards, and set your mind spinning based on all those "what-ifs?" I daresay, twenty of thirty years from now -- maybe sooner -- someone will attempt to incorporate some of those ideas and make an "alternative" Star Wars; even if they have to defy copyright issues, as Lucas did, and come up with their own fantasy epic/total artwork.

8. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    Everything in this post is good stuff. The stuff like the bolded is so amusing and so, so stupid to me. Like, would your enjoyment of the movie really have been amplified by stuff like this (AND YES I realize that of all the regulars around here I am the last person who should be saying that someone's hair should not dictate the extent to which you enjoy a film, hahaha...but let's move on because I'm not on trial here)?

The OT wasn't all that dark (I mean, for God's sake think of how it ends!) so I don't exactly know why people thought the first 3 were supposed to be this deep, dark, moody thing from start to finish. We all knew it was going to end with Vader so it was going to have to go to a pretty damn dark place eventually. Like you said, though, you have to have some variation in the tone of the story -- otherwise the turn at the end loses a lot of its impact/punch, too. We were supposed to be looking at "before the dark times" for part of this trilogy. We're watching the color slowly and surreptitiously be drained out of the universe. It can't just be ceaseless tragedy and sadness and badasses in mohawks kicking butt the whole time from minute #1.

9. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015

Screw John Williams garbage soundtrack, the prequels should have had dubstep to make it even more cool! "Sighs" George Lucas just dont understand.

Tonyg, earlchinna, Ezon Pin and 2 others like this.
  10. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    And of course, droids dancing to that dubstep.

Deliveranze, CIS Droid and Ezon Pin like this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    And robot strippers voiced by Donny Osman and Dicaprio and Woopy Goldberg...

CIS Droid likes this.
  12. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015

13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

xezene, Ezon Pin and CIS Droid like this.
  14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Of course if they had gone that way then the article would be all about how it's too bad they went they way but look at what they should have done!

[face_rofl]

These guys always want Star Wars to be "edgy" just like everything else!!

:D

The stuff from TFA they didn't do is so much cooler than what they did do by this logic. Going back to Endor to search the remains of the Death Star underwater and look around the Emperor's throne room.

So EDGY!!

15. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    I saw Ardnts Script and Lucas's. They were amazing and they felt so compelling. Darn you Disney....

16. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    does anyone know what GL's plans were for episode 7? Or for 7-8-9??

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    Hmm...I don't know. I like what we got in TPM already. Would a slightly older Anakin and a slightly younger Padme been a better thing? Maybe? But I guess it doesn't matter since it didn't happen.

What does matter to me is what didn't happen in TFA, lol. Im happy with what we got, but after hearing what GL had planned, I'd have loved to see that too.

18. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002

Well, ironically, a lot of the PT's darkness for me comes from the melancholy tone, which I believe is one of the things the haters dont like.

AshiusX and Tonyg like this.
  19. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    You've seen Lucas's ideas for episodes 7 to 9?

Where? I would love to read that!

20. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Any one know a place for above question?

21. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Why the PT bashing is always the same.. Can they use their feel.. I mean their imagination for somethig different?

22. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind seeing Padme betray Anakin by trying to kill him. It could have been the nail in the coffin that sealed Anakin's fate to the dark side. It would be ultimate betrayal of a lifetime. The person that Anakin is trying to save and he sacrificed for trying to kill her. It would drive anyone insane.

23. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Anakin thinks Padme asked Obi Wan to kill him on Mustafar.

24. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    What?

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    That was my mistakes on my part awhile ago.

I meant some of the storyboards of Ardnt's..