main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Star Wars "proximity landing effect"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by IG_2000, Jul 21, 2011.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    This dates back to Empire Strikes Back, when Luke goes to search for Yoda on Dagobah and somehow ends up within walking distance of Yoda's hut. Or in Revenge of the Sith, when Padme somehow knows the exact mining facility on Mustafar to look for Anakin.

There's instances on the show. In "Hunt for Ziro", all Mama tells Vos and Kenobi is "Ziro's headed for Teth" before they bolt out the door. In "Dooku Captured", when they crashland in pursuit of Dooku, they somehow manage to land right next to his ship. I don't think it was a controlled landing, because when they get out I think Anakin said something along the lines of "Hey there's Dooku's ship"

Blehhh.... just felt like ranting about something

2. CoolUsernameHere

CoolUsernameHere Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2011
    I've thought about this quite a bit before. I guess in some instances they would have a good guess (or just flat-out know) what area/region of the planet the person would be, but I definitely see your point. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

3. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    It's the will of The Force! ;)

4. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    This happens in many stories, not just Star Wars. Convenience to the plot is in some places necessary.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    On Dagobah I always figured it was Yoda making Luke crash. On Mustafar we don't know how many facilities there are, but short-range sensors would be able to tell you where the human on the planet is. In TCW, as long as it doesn't ruin an otherwise perfect episode, it's forgivable. :p

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's not really convenient to the plot, it's convenient to the audience.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    ESB would've been boring if Luke would hike across the swamp hours and hours:p Sometimes this is problem but for example mentioned Dooku captured crash landing is quite logic since both had same flight path- of course they could still crash 100 kilometers away from each others but that is the convenience part:p as said it is will of the Force that's it:p ....