main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Star Wars Rebels Stormtrooper Incompetence Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by jcgoble3, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Sure I could make the assumption the ISD we see in Rebels is an ISD I, the one we see in ANH is an ISD II, and the one we see in ESB is a ISD III, but we'll have to see if it gets contradicted later on by other sources.

The reason why reactor rooms are all ways empty is because, other wise it would interfere with the storyline if the intrudes got caught trying to blow up the spaceship! The Force forbid.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Rebels ship's turrets much more closely resemble those of the TESB ship than those of the ANH ship.

We know that the Rebels one is ISD-I because newcanon sources say so - however, we don't know, yet, if the ANH and TESB designs are different subclasses, or merely visual variants.

Interestingly, in the "Good, our first catch of the day" scene in TESB, both the ANH and TESB models were used to represent the very same ship. You can tell by the differing appearance of the engine nozzles from shot to shot.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    Thank you for the incite.
    Also, sorry for any typographical errors. I learned to type playing this game http://www.kongregate.com/games/StudioCime/mu-complex-episode-one?acomplete=mu+complex , although I can probably type cat faster then any other human alive: cat cat cat cat catc acta ctac act cact catc atc atc ac ccat cat

I guess I just don't like the Rebels variant as much. It doesn't seem to be consistent to me. it looks kind of dumbed down to me. My point is, there are any number of technical explanations we could make for these differences. I like the artistic interpretation explanation the best. For example, the ISDs we see in comics aren't perfect representations of what we see in the OT. Yet we call them the same thing. I just don't find the "official" explanations to be satisfactory. For example: the stubby winged TIE fighter. if it were a design unique to Lothal, then why do we see them on other spaceships that were most certainly not manufactured on Lothal? i.e. Tarkin's flagship.

We now take this time to remember all those Stormtroopers who lost there lives to the rebels on Lothal protecting the assets of the Empire;
    KO-1138 Pvt. Doug "Dodge" Nott
    KO-3907 Pvt. Thisto Dyeing
    KO-5373 Sgt. Michelle "Misses" Hardly
    KO-9281 Sgt. Isttan Fusionghost
    KO-8362 Lt. Smewhei Castor
    KO-1829 Lt. Wonkinc Etamin
    and many more.
    We especially remember Trooper KO-0013 Kurt Radtke, for his utter most competence in battle, only to be overwhelmed and killed. Therefor, we posthumously award him the "Order of the Imperial Crest".

4. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    sorry mispost

5. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I agree, I see no point in having some kind of official technical difference. The are different simply because they are in an animated form, with a different artistic representation.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't mind the TIE fighters at least getting an explanation. If the variant was the first iteration - then the ones we see in the movies can be the next generation which don't need to be as reinforced.

7. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    Gottcha there.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/LN_starfighter/Canon
    Nowhere does it say stubby is the first variant. If anything, it says they're unique to some planets in the outer rim.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/LN_starfighter/Canon#cite_note-tarkin-8

The Tie was far worse than the V-Wing. Tarkin felt thankful to be in a V-Wing in the novel, despite its lack of reliable life support and other minor drawbacks, mainly in visibility and being forced to wear a flight suit and gloves he dreaded the prospect of being stuck having the Goliath loaded instead with a squadron of the new disposable Tie Fighters.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem is - Tarkin's destroyers all seem to come with the same kind of TIE fighter as the ones seen on Lothal.

10. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    As I stated.

11. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    this is REALLY funny lol

12. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Maybe it's highly automated. Though that still doesn't explain why the doors were open and it was unguarded.

I'm not even sure what that room was... the reactor on an ISD IIRC is the huge round ball about 300m in diameter that protrudes partially through the ventral hull surface. Hmm... The room that Kanan, Ezra and Inky fought in seemed to have a bunch of huge conduits rising up from the floor and heading off in various directions... I guess these could be power take offs from the main reactor and the room could actually be right above the reactor. So when Inky's lightsaber fell down to the bottom of the room it may actually have ruptured the reactor vessel. Or, possibly, given the delayed fashion in which the damage brought about the ship's destruction, it may instead have ruptured a cooling system or some such causing the reactor to start overheating, to where it eventually blew.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I would love an arc about a squad of Stormtroopers or for the 501st to make an appearance.

I wouldn't like to see the Ghost crew getting wounded by troopers often, but the occasional injury would make them seem a lot more threatening!

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The Storm Troopers incompetence is summed up best by Sabine in the S1 Finale where she patronises them "you've gotten better"

They are this shows version of the Battle Droids, no tension no sense of our "hero's" in peril nothing.

A

15. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
  16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I like the action of TCW better .

17. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    Does Sabine ever stop to consider that this faceless, nameless stormtrooper...has a mother? Maybe even a wife and kids? How many stormtroopers does she have to shoot in the face to realize this and stop acting like it's a joke to kill someone?

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  18. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Love that clip - especially in relation to the thread title!!!

I think it would be nice to see a slightly more realistic version of the Stormtroopers being slightly more competent. I did think it was funny though when the trooper went to Ezra... "Wait, all of this...was for fruit?"

Maybe you should see our heroes face Vader's troopers who can shoot better and injure them in a firefight. It would be ok to show a variation in quality depending on whether they were on some backwater or they were highly disciplined from a presitigious Imperial Academy.

Also it would be cool to see some troopers who were clones in certain units. They might be more disciplined and less rubbish (given the fact they are bred for duty).

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There are no parents and siblings and children in the ranks of the stormtroopers.

Quote Filoni: flesh droids

I know how stupid and actually immoral it is to dehumanize opponents in a kid show this way, but there you have it.

fett 4 likes this.
  20. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    We agree it's stupid, but we shouldn't have to be satisfied with a stupid and immoral explanation from a kids show. I hop ST get there due as real soldiers and not just useless cannon fodder.
    edit: why wouldn't that random guy that got drafted not have a wife and kids?

TheOneX_Eleazar and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That's are good questions to ask Filoni, but he will probably tell you some nonsense how the brainwashing makes the troopers less then human.

22. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I think Filoni said in a podcast that they "suck."

So that's probably why their being portrayed the way they are.

23. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    But why so much predigest?

24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    While conscription could decrease mass support for war and morale among the troops , but most of the core Empire we're told are brainwashed by Palpatine's rhetoric and propaganda and there is this strong sense of nationalism and patriotism going in since the end of the Clone Wars - so this is hard to believe that is making the Imperial soldiers into dingbats. Desertion or dereliction of duty is obviously being ruthlessly punished by the Empire, so that should technically make soldiers more effective not less, out of fear of being punished physically or by pay or both. Its not unusual for imposition of cruel and unusual penalties to maintain discipline among the soldiery especially in the chaotic conditions where it would be necessity for the maintenance of effective command. That plus, this is the early days of the Empire and they should be when morale was at its peak, as they're not at war and the cost of a prolonged war taking its toll. So for soldiers to be this bad now, during actual war they'd be a complete disaster. If the the best and brightest of the Imperials defected to the Rebellion, then this would make things twice or more worse for this "Empire".

But the reality is, these are Hollywood evil soldiers, doesnt matter if their Lucas' Stormtroopers or Spielberg's Waffen SS, they're gonna be portrayed as fodder to make the good guys look good and they're probably gonna want this as they'd find villains repugnant so a good deal of bias is gonna go into the film making as its not an actual documentary.

They should make the Empire a more serious and credible enemy/threat , I enjoyed most of the EU on the Empire, but the amount of levity and camp is too high in this version of SW and they wanted more humor even, incorporating Indiana Jones but it seems to come off more as Hercules/Xena/Brisco County Jr level camp than Indiana alone.

25. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Don't know.

Honestly, If you're looking for normal Stormtroopers; I suggest you get the new Battlefront game when it comes out in November.