"The Star Wars RPG Galaxy Guides," [West End Games, 1988 - 1995]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 6, 2003.

?

"The Star Wars RPG Galaxy Guides," [West End Games, 1988 - 1995]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 9 vote(s) 81.8%
9 1 vote(s) 9.1%
8 0 vote(s) 0.0%
7 0 vote(s) 0.0%
6 (Average) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
5 (Average) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 0 vote(s) 0.0%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 (Poor) 1 vote(s) 9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m Chosen One

star 10
  2. dp4m Chosen One

star 10
    [image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/images/bookcovers/gg1.jpg]

Synopsis:

Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope -- "The Battle of Yavin marked the first dramatic triumph for the Rebel Alliance which set the crusade to restore the Republic on its path to ultimate victory. Join the grand quest to explore the locales and meet the people which had an impact on the outcome of that first important conflict. Galaxy Guide 1 contains a definitive collection of backgrounds, statistics, and information on the heroes and villains from the original Star Wars movie, as well as a new adventure set on Tatooine suitable for new characters. This comprehensive guide to the Star Wars galaxy, featuring the art of Ralph McQuarrie, Michael Manley, and Al Williamson, and stills from the movie, details the aliens, Imperials, and Rebels that figured in those crucial weeks leading up to the Battle of Yavin."

Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin -- "Yavin and Bespin are two of the most important systems in the Star Wars movie trilogy. This comprehensive volume details the creatures, aliens, cultures, and geography of both planets. Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin provides newly-disclosed data that will fascinate movie fans and Star Wars game player-alike."

Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back -- "Galaxy Guide 3 is the comprehensive guide to Episode V of the Star Wars saga, compiling information and facts from the movie, radio play, novels, and comics. You'll find within these pages a definitive collection of backgrounds, statistics, and information on the heroes and villains from The Empire Strikes Back, many of whom make their first appearance in a roleplaying supplement. Plus, join the adventure in an all-new scenario set in the luxury mining town of Cloud City."

Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races -- "Aliens! These oftimes strange and unique beings fill the Star Wars saga with variety and excitement. Fighting alongside aliens with the Rebel Alliance? Engaged with them in something the Empire considers a less-than-legal activity? Need to know more about these aliens? Alien Races provides the information you'll need on homeworlds, cultures, lifestyles, and the behavior of over 30 alien species. Whether recognizable as bipeds or insectoids with compund eyes, they make up a huge portion of the Galactic Empire."

Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi -- "Here you can find background, personality sketches, and anecdotes of the villains and heroes, humans and aliens, and monsters and droids appearing in Return of the Jedi. The book concludes with an adventure set on Endor just after the destruction of the second Death Star."

Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters -- "Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters gives you information on Imperial regulations, ship modifications, and the Minos Cluster, an area filled with opportunity for freetraders like yourself."

Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley -- "Come explore the infamous pirate spaceport city of Mos Eisley. Pounded by the relentless twin suns of Tatooine, Mos Eisley is host to some of the most famous (or infamous) smugglers and criminals in the galaxy! Made famous by the exploits of Han Solo and the treachery of Jabba the Hutt, Mos Eisley is the ultimate adventuring locale for fans of the Star Wars movies. This books provides a complete overview of this outlaw city. It contains detailed location descriptions, with maps, gamemaster character descriptions and illustration. Includes introductory chapters descibing the history of Tatooine and Mos Eisley!"

Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts -- "In the days of the Old Republic, exploration was the key to adventure. New worlds lay beyond the next star, and high adventure lived along the spaceways. The scout was a free spirit; an andrenaline jockey eager to plumb the depths of his own curiosity. And then came Imperial Rule and the iron grip of Emperor Palpatine. He, and his Imperial Moffs and governors, turned the scout service to ... other purposes. Seeking out Rebel Bases and hunting the heroes of the Alliance, the s
  3. Coota Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I gotta say, Scouts was my favorite: the idea of exploring this massive galaxy was just awesome to me.
  4. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The only Galaxy Guide I've been able to find is Scouts, which sucks because I liked WEG better than the new WOTC version. But if all the Galaxy Guides are as good as Scouts, I'd give it an 8. I would give it higher, but I felt that it wasn't quite in-depth enough. The book could have stood to be about twice as thick as it was.
  5. 4LOM Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I have actually never played the RPG, but for a Star Wars fan in the late eighties these Galaxy Guides were some of the only sources of non-film Star Wars info out there. I remember devouring 1, 3, 4, 5 and 12. Loads of fun character profiles (You find out the pasts of such obscure characters as General Madine, Zuckuss, Admiral Piett and more) and some interesting short stories make these Galaxy Guides a must-have for every Star Wars fan. It's totally sweet that the Expanded Universe used these books as reference material and story fodder.
  6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    10/10

I didn't play that version of the RPG, but I still liked all the information in the book.
  7. Darth_Bronchitis Jedi Youngling

The Galaxy Guides showed some of the brightest moments in WEG's SW RPG. Aside from the obligatory movie guides, which were nice but not overly useful to me as a GM, the source material was invaluable.
    Tramp Freighters in both incarnations and Fragments from the Rim were IMHO the most well designed pieces of source material from the entire game line, because you could actually use them. Fragments is the most used book in my collection next to the rulebook.

It's a damn shame this excellent game was discontinued. I started playing it in 88/89 and will most likely continue to do so whenever I feel like GMing again.

The pacing of the fights was unbeatable...WotC should have taken this system and continued it... speaking again of lost opportunities... :-(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.