The Star Wars Saga Forum Index

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Dagsy, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
  2. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Great going, Dagsy!

Too bad this thread doesn´t stay on top of the board automatically.
    We´ll have to post in it every ten minutes or so :)
  3. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm going to get a link to it slipped up into the header bar so we can always find it quickly.

Great work Dagsy :)
  4. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    *ahem*

DA, do you want to update this?
  5. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I thought about doing this for this forum, but then changed my mind. :p
  6. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll be maintaining the Index from now on, so if you have any questions, suggestions, or complaints, you can PM me.

At the end of each day, I'll update the index with the new threads started that day, and at the end of the month, I'll compile all threads of the month and insert them into Dagsy's categories.

Aunecah
  7. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  8. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  9. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  10. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Whoah, you rock!

Thanks for helping out!
  11. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
  12. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    April 25

Writing the Star Wars Saga
    "I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a website or give me information that can be verified on exactly what Lucas had planned/created/written about the complete story (from episode one through six or nine) before the 1977 release."
  13. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    April 26th

Evolution of a few Star Wars Characters
    C3PO, R2D2 and Darth Vader seem to similiar to characters in a cartoon I used to watch in my youth titled "The Mighty Hercules".

Star Wars Remakes ... ?
    [D]oes anyone think its possible that someone would come along in the future with a vision to totally redo the star wars films.

14. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    April 27th

Star Wars: The Jedi Bendu scripts
    The Jedi Bendu scripts (the first drafts of ANH) are so far from the final work that I think you could make a truly original Sci-Fi/Fantasy trilogy out of it. They're really good and with a little bit of name-changing, they could really do well as movies.

Vehicles of the SW Universe
    Which Era has the better Ships and Vehicles?

Is Leia really Anakin's daughter
    So here's my theory: Leia could possibly be OBI-WAN'S daughter. Here are my reasons... When Anakin turns to the dark side, Padme will want to find comfort in someone else. Why not let it be the one who first came to be her bodyguard? The one who would be closest to Anakin and therefore, closest to Padme?

15. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    April 28th

Who the heck really created the Death Star?
    I am probably asking a stupid question but who actually created the Death Star!?!

PT visuals "sub par" in 20 years?
    Will the PTs visuals seems a little dated and silly in twenty years? I am wondering if any feel that more and more editions is unnecassary and we should recognize that the nature of cinema is dated. Should we celebrate it as a snap-shot in time, rather than an ongoing change? Or are we going to need the Episode 1 and 2: Special Edition hooplah in twenty years?

The Banner
    The large Darth Vader mask in the middle [of the banner], because of the lighting, looked almost as if it were a blend of Vader's mask and Emperor Palpatine - look in the middle, where the lighting is particularly glaring.

Do you think the duel-trilogy will flow?
    With all of the digital enhancments, it is unlikely that the two trilogies will match up. What do you think? Maybe I'm wrong.

Darth Vader's Armor and Broken Body: A Symbol of Anakin's Character
    I was thinking about this earlier, and I have come to the conclusion that the armor worn by Darth Vader and the body sustain by this armor is a symbol of the character of Anakin Skywalker. By character, I am referring to Anakin's behavior, and any related thoughts and feelings that he experiences throughout the Star Wars Saga.

Why is it that Imperial ships spook Han? He claims he has a fast ship. Can't he outrun'um?
    [The title says it all. ;) ]

16. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    April 29th

No new threads started.
  17. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    April 30th

Hope dwidleing.?
    During the entire saga,just a bit of ROTJ.Hope slowly dwindles away...

*Anakin during the saga and how he turns to the DS Discussion Thread*
    During the saga we see that Anakin slowly gets closer to turning to the darkside in every moment of TPM,AOTC.In ANH,ESB,ROTJ he is on the darkside.But what makes him turn to the darkside?Is it Padme' is it Shmi we don't know and never will untll May of 2005.Somewhere along the line he turns to the darkside but when and why harder to answer they are...

18. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    May 1st

No new threads started.
  19. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sorry for not updating here. I was out with my friends most of the weekened. [face_blush]

May 2nd

Jedi doesn't equal perfect
    Does anybody else notice that a lot of people in these forums confuse jedi for jesus christ? It seems like the expect them to be perfect and never make a mistake. As soon as they make come across any little thing they start talking about them turning to the darkside.

May 3rd

No new threads started.

May 4th

Droids as Guardians
    Throughout the original trilogy, the droids are accompanying the twins. The only exceptions that I can think of (Threepio staying with Chewie when Lando takes Leia and Han for a drink (ESB), Artoo having a door closed on him (ESB), Leia's imprisonment aboard the Death Star (ANH)) - are at the precise moments that they are in the presence of their real father, Anakin.

That GL decided that Anakin should build C3PO helps this symbolism enormously as the droids may in fact be 'stand-ins' for Padme and Anakin in the OT.

20. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    May 5th

Your overconfidence is your weakness
    I always liked this line by Luke in ROTJ. I thought it perfectly described the Emperor at that moment thinking he was perfectly safe on the Death Star #2.

Yoda
    I'm asking a simple question. Yoda's limp, and his walking stick, I've always wondered why, if it was just age, or he was wounded, because, it seems that when the time is right, he can drop the stick and whoop ass.... Thoughts, serious or Humor...

May 6th

No New Threads Started

May 7th

No New Threads Started

May 8th

Did R2D2 always "fly"?
    It occurred to me that R2D2 never has any (onscreen) problems with travelling over all sorts of surfaces (unlike the "real" R2D2, as the DVD documentaries show...) Which got me to thinking- maybe he doesn't have wheels under his "feet" as I (and probably many others) always assumed- maybe he hovers rather than rolls along?

Thoughts?
  21. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    May 9th

Anakin as the "Messiah" of the Star Wars universe?
    In our own world the "messiah" or "chosen one" or "sacred leader" usually has a positive connotation, the person filling this role is usually considered to be good. Whereas the Star Wars universe seems to have gotten a raw deal on their "savior". Anakin/Vader, we learn, is supposed to be a "sacred" person, by virtue of his immaculate conception and prophesied destiny, which we know he fulfills. But of course we know what Anakin becomes in the future. So we have in the Star Wars universe the exploration of the suseptible human side of a "sacred being", who is capable of great good, but also great evil. Imagine for a minute, what if Jesus Christ had given in to temptation and caused great harm before ultimately redeeming himself and saving humanity from sin. Of course, it less controversial to come up with a character who is a thinly disguised parallel of the real thing, in order to explore the question. That's what makes the revelation of Darth Vader's "chosen one" status so interesting. What happens when the messiah of the prophesy goes bad?

Will ROTJ be a fitting final chapter once the saga is completed??
    The final 30 minutes servets it's purpose, and quite well I might add. However after watching the first 5 chapters of this epic saga, will one see ROTJ as...bland?

May 10th

Why is the technology so different?
    Why is the technology different from the original series (Ep4-6) to the prequels (Ep1-3)?!

May 11th

Torture throughout the Saga
    Is there any correlation between the torture of Shmi Skywalker at the hands of the Tusken Raiders and the subsequent use of this activity by Vader in ANH (Leia) and ESB (Han). It would seem that Anakin would be loathe to use these type of tactics after the death of his mother.
  22. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    May 12th

A discussion of the artistic validity of Lucas' vision: The controversy of a galaxy far, far away
    It seems that since the release of The Phantom Menace over 3 years ago, the community of fans has split and formed factions over what is good and what is not. If these intense debates have proven one thing, it is that there is no accounting for taste, for it seems that for every person who is disapointed or opposed the the PT, there is his counterpart waiting to fight tooth-and-nail to announce his viewpoint as just as valid, if not moreso.

It boils down to this: Is there a right answer? The answer may suprise you.

Jung's Lightsabres
    Which makes the lightsabre colours in Star Wars that little bit more interesting, IMHO.

Red = instincts = Sith
    Blue = spirituality = Jedi
    Violet = instinct + spirituality = Mace (there's a reference somewhere, possibly EU *gasp*, about Mace using fighting techniques that border on the darkside...)

Anyway, just a little something that might interest some people.

May 13th

No new threads started.

May 14th

Princess Leia What?
    If Leia is Anakin's daughter, how does her last name come to be Organa? Shouldn't it be Skywalker? And who was that guy who was so-called my father? The guy on Yavin 4. That's not him as we all know.

Jedi vs Sith, Whose more powerful ???
    I cant find any recent debate on this but do you think that the Sith seem more powerful than the Jedi?

Connecting the PT to the OT. [possible spoiler]
    [I'm unsure of what the topic is...]

EDIT: Markup codes....
  23. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    March 15th

The Galaxy may not be as 'small' as people seem to complaining it is
    The fact is, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and the droids are all a 'family' of sorts- it really shouldn't come as a surprise or a big coincedence that they run into each other.

March 16th

Why is Jabba so important?
    I never understood, why was it so important to include Jabba in AHN. It worked perfectly without seeing him, yet Lucas wasn't happy until he succeeded to insert that scene. His appearence in TPM also doesn't make much sense for me (in fact I find both scenes annoying, though I love Jabba in ROTJ). He is an important character, but not so important IMO. Why is Lucas so obsessed with him? Have I missed something about his role in SW? Or is it just because he's so cool? What do you know about the origins of Jabba? Was he in earlier drafts? Where does his character, and his design come from?

The only thing I can recall is a photo, which showed the Han-Jabba scene and Jabba was played by an actor.

March 17th

Lightside capable of clouding?
    Is the Lightside of the Force capable of "clouding" things also?

Think about it. We all know Yoda has stated in the prequels that "the Darkside clouds everything". Did the Force assist in hiding the existence of the Skywalker twins from the emperor and Vader?

The Most Dramatic Death? The Most Unexpected?
    Throughout the whole Star Wars Saga so far, who do you think had the most dramatic death? and whose death did you totally not expect?

i think the most dramatic death was that of Darth Vader and the most unexpected was the death of Qui Gon

Did the cargo ship design in Ep2 carry over to become the Star Destroyers in the OT?
    In AOTC, the cargo ships that carried the clones looked (to me) similar to the Star Desroyers. Who also thinks this way? Who thinks otherwise?

March 18th
    Accents, accents, accents!
    Why is their American, British, Australian, Maori and Schmiese accents in a galaxy far, far away? Is there a particular accent for a particular planet, or what?

The Empire?
    When I think about an Empire I think about a long line of Emperors of different dynasties. The Empire is Star Wars is more of a dictatorship which rules over a galaxxy. Palpatine is the first and last Emperor and that does not seem like an Empire to me. It is more of a Facist rule. Hitler was not Emperor of Germany.

Disappearing Jedi
    IMHO, Jedi disappearing reflects some concepts found in Buddhism. In essence, Jedi "disappear" when they have reached a higher stage of "enlightenment", which comes from an inner peace. Remember what Yoda taught Luke in ESB. The force is with you when you are calm, at peace (sic). Anger, agression lead to the dark side. Once they achieve this "enlightenment", they then move on to a higher plane of existance.

Only some Jedi achieve this. That's why only some disappear. Qui Gon did not (remeber that he was considered somewhat reckless by the Jedi council).

Star Wars also seems to reflect other aspects of Asian culture, such as Bushido. For example, the idea of a Jedi being one with his sword (err... light sabre
  24. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    March 20th

Are the objections of we Star Wars fans to the prequels completely objective?
    I cant help feel that we fans (and the critics also) are simply failing to take into account that we saw the OT as children, and we can never truly return to that sense of wonder. Is the PT genuinely inferior to the OT, in any objective way?

In theory the quality of an artistic or creative effort may be completely subjective, but we have come up with vague ways of measuring films. Almost any intelligent person would agree that Aliens is better than Alien3, and one would find it difficult to create arguments that dispute this.

Are there any arguments we can make to conclude that the OT is genuinely superior to the PT? Or are we simply not watching Lucas's new films in the same light as the originals?

March 21st

PT and OT in one sitting.
    Does anyone know if GL has any plans to shoot additional footage or use old footage to weave the movies together so we can see them all in one continuous sitting will he leave them as is? I would love to have additional footage to make it one movie since GL has said that it is all one big story. If he did not have other footage, I could live with a simple message in between the films like in between TPM and AOTC, he could put TEN YEARS LATER and so on. Any thoughts?

March 22nd

No new threads started.

March 23rd

changes in lightsabers
    Maybe this has been asked before, but why do the origional lightsabers look soo different from prequel. Why is anakins the only one that looks like OT lighsaber in AOTC. Obi-wan lost his in PT only to construct the exact same one for AOTC. He again loses it in AOTC, so will he make his ANH one, or his PM&AOTC one? Also Anakins is broken, so he makes the same one again to give to luke later? With everyone remaking the same saber, whey does obiwan make a different one eventually? The OT lightsabers are way cooler looking,dont you agree?

March 24th

No new threads started.

March 25th

One hole shot in each foot: The LFL marketers vs. Lucas' obsession with secrecy
    I cannot stress how important secrecy is to a movie as large in scope and interest, in order to keep the movie tense, taut, and dramatic. When I saw Dooku take off Anakin's arm, I was like, "woah, holy potatoes! Didn't see that coming," and that was important. But I knew long before the film came out that Dooku was in league with Sidious. Did I read spoilers on TF.N? Was this learned by reading Aint-He-Fat's review? No. Sadly, this detrimental spoiler appeared when I cut through the toy section of my local Wal-Mart a few days before the movie opened, and saw the action figure for "Darth Tyrannus" with Christopher Lee's mug on it. I was so dissapointed, and even more so after I saw the film. Learning Lee's duality is a major plotpoint, very important as a payoff in the closing of the film. A part of my enjoyment was stolen.

Are gunships used by the Empire?
    I was wondering if the Republic gunships used in AOTC would still be continued to be used by the Empire in the OT. I would imagine that we didn't see them on Hoth because of the harsh climate. In ROTJ, they could have been used against the Ewoks, and it could enhance the Vietnam metaphor. (Ewoks = Viet Cong, gunships = US helicoptors)

March 26th

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1179348
  25. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sorry for ignoring this, but I've been working on a modem whose speed is slower than that of a snail. [face_blush] I'll start updating it from tomorrow or day after again, because I'm currently busy with making a banner.

Aunecah
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.