main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars Saga Forum Is *gasp* Now Open!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Dagsy, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I was thinking....we have the CT forum for discussion of the Classic Trilogy.
    We have the TPM forum for discussion of TPM. AotC forum for discussion of AotC. These will end up being joined for discussion of the PT.
    We have the 3SA and 3NS forums for discussion of the next movie.
    We have SW misc for all SW topics that dont really fit anywhere else.

What I think would be good, is a Saga Forum. A board where we can go and discuss issues relevant to the entire SW saga, and not just the PT or CT. Somewhere that we can compare and contrast Anakin and Luke. Where we can talk about the Rise, Fall, and Redemption of Anakin Skywalker (right now TPM and AotC is for the rise, AotC and 3SA/3NS for the fall, and CT for the redemption). Somewhere where we can talk about Palpatines actions over the years.

A forum for the entire SW Saga.

What say you?

DA Edit: We say yes. :D

2. saraswati

saraswati Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2002
    how is that different from misc?

maybe misc could be renamed to the saga forum?

3. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

That sounds like Star Wars Misc.

4. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I like the idea; I think it could work out well if the SW Misc Forum were to be changed around and mended into this forum.

Yeah, it sounds like SW Misc, but there are a slight few differences. I'll let Dagsy ol' chap explain.

5. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    No No No.

Misc is for "X by X"s and Star Wars Starbucks and "Who would win, Mace or Jabba".

Its for Saga stuff, but in amongst the bits and pieces of miscellaneous threads.

I think, given we are 5/6 of the way through the saga (and we know basics about number 6), its about time we encouraged discussion of the saga as a whole, rather than sticking the threads in the "Other threads" forum.

6. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Well, he's right. The SW Misc. forum has turned into a SW-themed Community board. I believe the board needs an overhaul. Perhaps we could start by renaming the Star Wars General Discussion board or even the Saga board like he wants.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Nice idea.

> its about time we encouraged discussion of the saga as a whole

Absolutely. But does that need a new forum? I dare say not.

How about a redefinition of "SW Misc" (and possible name change?) to usher in this new era of intelligent SW Saga discussion, as led by Dagsy :)

// Ooh. Look how it all fits together... //

8. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Dont put pressure on me to give intelligent discussion, jp ;)

I dont mind not having a new forum, but simply, if you want to encourage Saga discussion, as I believe we should, it cant be kept among the scraps of social threads, Defense Forces and stuff like that.

If people want to keep it in the Misc forum, fine...but then lets do something about cutting out the other stuff in there. In which case, you have to ask where they go. Back to where they all came from?

It might be easier for a new Saga forum.

9. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Interesting, I like anything better than the word "miscellaneous" - it refuses to categorizes the discussion and lets anything go. Which is fine, if that is the intention of that forum. SAGA is cool - I'm not saying do it, I just think it is cool.

Josh

10. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I like this idea. It would be different from the miscellaneous forum, which is basically random topics barely related to SW in some cases. It's far too light a forum for serious discussion, if you know what I mean.

11. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I like the idea Dagsy. I sign the pention. :)

This board could have INTELLIGENT discussion about the saga. ;)

12. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    This idea has merit. But I think it's easier if the social threads (does it matter if they're SW-themed?) move to JCC or EUC, and SW misc be renamed to something about the whole SW saga.

But that's just me, but whatever gets the job done, I'm all for it.

GO 'CLONES!

13. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

This is a good idea, Miscellaneous really has gone to the dogs.

Lets face, most of the threads in there are line by lines or game threads (not that there is anything wrong with that... ;) )and it needs a huge overhaul.

A name change for one would be a good idea. "Miscellanous" isn't all that... snazzy. :p

14. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I agree with teh j-3PO on this issue.

15. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I am also very interested in the idea.

SW Misc:
    LBL
    LBL
    Social
    LBL
    Versus
    Defense
    Game
    SW Discussion
    Game
    Social
    Defense
    Game
    Versus
    Social
    Game

SAGA:
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion
    SW Discussion

That would be the difference. I say a MAJOR overhaul of Misc. or an entirely different forum.

16. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Star Wars? Who cares about Star Wars? :p

But I think the revamping of the Misc is a good idea....I don't think we need any more forums...

...and a Jango

17. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    All of that those topics, Palpatine, Anakin, etc., are currently allowed and welcomed in Misc. If people aren't there discussing these topics, then perhaps it's because no one is interested or no one knows it's allowed.

And it isn't because thread games are allowed in Misc. There are plenty of games and social threads in YJCC and discussion threads still thrive. With page settings of 25 threads/page, I checked the first 3 pages to see how many games there are.

ANH - Line by Line
    ESB - Line by Line
    ROTJ Line-by-Line
    AOTC Line-by-Line
    Who Would Win...
    *** Imperial Survivor ***
    The New Star Wars Name Game
    Star Wars word associations
    Star Wars Battle
    New Star Wars Quote Game
    GAME: Reconstruct Attack of the Clones!!
    Have some fun: SW quotes and... the mods!
    Name That Quote!
    Star Wars "This or That" Game
    Collect digital THEFORCE.NET cards here!
    The Star Wars Pizza Quote Game
    Star Wars madlibs (Word for word)
    GAME: Reconstruct Phantom Menace (humour)
    Star Wars Hangman Thread...Ver: 2.0
    The SW Alphabet Game

Now some of them are redundant, yes, but it's still only 20 threads out of 75. Doesn't look like the number of games is choking out discussion.

But if even that is too much, then just reduce their number. Maybe make the reopenings of the line by line threads staggered. Start with TPM, and when they finish, either close it and start a new thread or let them continue in the same one, and move on to AOTC. This would reduce 5 game threads into one.

The DF's have been picked up and tossed around too many times. They were put in Misc because the mods of the movie forums worried that leaving a DF in it's movie forum would promote division, TPM being the exception, and another argument about what that has caused is going on in another thread. Some of them have become social threads. I looked into the 'Defenders of the A&P' thread, and they are mostly chatting with a few posts on topic. Same with the ESB FC. I don't think there is anything wrong with that since there are only 4 or 5 of them.

The complaint I have with Misc, that I have had for a long time now, is that the actual discussion that goes on there has little depth. There just isn't much about "Who built R2-D2?" that makes for good discussion. But, "Your opinion: the weakest SW and the strongest SW film yet?" is a little better, since it invites opinions and is broad enough of a topic that many people are going to want to participate.

I'm glad Misc is finally getting some attention, it's been kinda dying off slowly. But making a new forum will kill it off entirely. There just aren't enough games or 'Yoda v. Batman! OMG!!!' like threads to keep it afloat. Do some things to make it a more intelligent forum, don't cut it off beneath the knees.

18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I REALLY support the idea of having a better place for SW discussion. SW Misc is a mess and too often a home of irritating threads like "Who's your favorite character" and "Who would win in a fight?".

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    IF SW Misc were to be reworked, I'd say...it's time for a list!
    • Eliminate for a while (6 months from the Saga Forum's starting date) ___by___s, locking or even deleting the ones present
    • Games would be consolidated, leaving the top, I don't know, five.
    • There could be a Generic "X vs Y" thread.
    • A social thread
    • A "Miscellaneous Questions of the GFFA!"
    • The rest is simply Saga discussion.
    That works in my book.

20. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Well, I also think the Misc. Forum needs some serious refreshment. There are too many useless threads.

Here's my vision: :)

I. POPULAR GAMES

1. one SW quote game
    2. SW hangman game
    3. SW word associations
    4. one X vs. Y thread
    5. SW ?this or that? game
    6. SW madlibs

Remarks:
    1° No more ?Line-by-Line? threads
    2° One general X vs. Y thread, based on the SW battle idea (=each week another combat)
    3° One general Quote thread (instead of "Fav. quotes" , "Finish the quotes" , "Who said the quote"...)
    4° I know the SW name game is popular, but I would remove it, due to confusion with the associations game.

II. POLLS

1. Fav. characters (+Fav. Jedi/Sith)
    2. Fav. actor/actress
    3. Fav. planets
    => One "Favourites" thread
    4. Top 5 SW films ranking
    5. Top 5 SW opening scenes
    6. Top 5 SW finale
    => One "Top 5/6 ranking" thread

Remarks:
    1° Or (instead of 4-5-6) one ?general top 5 (top 6 after Eps.III)? thread for the ranking ? opening scenes ? finale...
    2° Or (instead of 1-2-3) one ?general Favourites? thread for characters ? sith ? jedi ? planet ? actor/actress...

III. GENERAL THREADS

1. one Star Wars vs. "other movie" thread
    2. Defence force threads (TPM ? AOTC ? ESB)
    3. Official Episode 7-8-9 thread
    4. Official lightsaber thread
    5. What order to watch the movies in?
    6. Make one ?SW misc. FAQ thread?

IV. SOCIAL THREADS

1. Popular Handmaiden Society
    2. One new social thread (instead of "Star Gals only", "Teens only"...)

I think those are the most useful threads that should stay.

Anyway, it's just my thought. :)

21. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Problem with your social threads plan. There are two other major social threads that are just as large. The Big DV Shaving Habits and Starbucks.

Misc is the designated forum for fanclub threads. If you remove them from Misc, they have to go back to the movie forums and it defeats what was trying to be accomplished by moving the DF's and FC's to Misc.

There is no reason to eliminate the line by line threads. A lot of people enjoy them. They can easily be condensed into one thread.

And cramming everyone's favorite everything into one thread wouldn't be cohesive enough to work. "Everyone come in and post your favorite of something" isn't focused enough to stimulate discussion. That just makes more of what we want to eliminate from Misc, listing threads.

Misc is packed with "Whats your fav bounty hunter!!1!!" like threads, where people stop in for one post to name their favorite, and then leave. Everybody lists theirs, the thread dies, and two weeks later someone starts an identical thread and the same things starts again. If you spend one week in Misc, you've done everything there is to do, because it's so repetitive. You've already listed your favorite film, scene, character, weapon, CGI, location, space battle, ground battle, spaceship, vehicle, fighter, creature, costume, bad guy, good guy, bounty hunter, line, quote, set, lighting, director, writer, producer, and grip guy. And then you've listed your least favorite of all the same.

If you don't get into one of the chat threads or the games, then you're bored with Misc and stop coming by.

I don't think just limiting those type of things to one thread is going to help. We have to find a way to encourage other kinds of threads to be created. I doubt an 'official' policy alone is going to fix anything. Dagsy listed some great ideas for discussion threads that would be perfect for Misc. Maybe there are threads that are already thriving elsewhere that would fit in Misc, and we could reopen them there. That would lure more people in who are already showing interest in topics that cover the entire saga.

The point is, just telling them what they can't post isn't going to help anyone understand what we want to see in Misc. You have to give them an example to follow. Otherwise it will just slowly slip back to what it was before, with everyone just finding clever loopholes so they can post the same exact type of threads as before.

22. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I mostly agree with what people have been saying - I think SW Misc either needs an overhaul and quickly - or another forum needs to be dedicated to the Saga as a whole. Whatever is easier. ;)

23. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

The problem with Miscellaneous as I see it is that there IS some quality discussion in Miscallaneous.

The only problem is that this discussion quickly sinks when all the game and line by line threads get posted in.

We need to limit these game threads and having just one line by line thread is an obvious step that must be taken.

But as to what Game threads we limit this too is going to be a hard decision. I am quite fond of the "Survivor" threads myself and often partake and/or create my own.

The Games are popular and give a reason for people to actaully come to Miscellaneous and post in some other threads.

Miscellaneous needs to be taken in a new direction and at prescent, the direction is only going down.

24. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I like it :D

I've always thought that SW:M should be renamed Star Wars Films Community

25. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    OK, I'm going to post a little at a time, and edit this post a lot adding as I go along....basically my computer can go at any time, so I'll have to add piecemeal....I hope you can all bear with me :)

Gay-Len:

All of that those topics, Palpatine, Anakin, etc., are currently allowed and welcomed in Misc. If people aren't there discussing these topics, then perhaps it's because no one is interested or no one knows it's allowed.

And it isn't because thread games are allowed in Misc. There are plenty of games and social threads in YJCC and discussion threads still thrive.

But if a forum is trying to encourage serious discussion, having a multitude of games and social threads will drown out the serious discussion. If we want to dedicate Misc to Saga discussion, there has to be some limit on the amount of misc threads hanging about.
    If we stuck all the Misc threads in the TPM forum, the discussion there would die off too, because the lions share of posts will go to the non-TPM threads.

Basically, I think that any Saga forum would need to lose or reduce the miscellaneous elements. We took DFs, Social threads, and the other stuff out of the other movie forums because they detracted from good, relevant discussion. It would therefore be only fair to remove them (or minimise their effects) from any forum dedicating itself to Saga discussion.

Things that would be needed in a good Saga forum:
    * Saga Discussion
    * One social thread for regulars to get to know each other
    * One X by X thread....as Gay-Len said, a good idea would be to have a Line by Line for TPM, and then when that is done, move onto AotC and so forth. Only one thread at a time. I think thats a great idea.
    * a SW Saga DF. The way I see it, each forum could have its own DF. The TPM DF in the TPM forum. A CT DF in the CT forum. The problem with DFs a while back was the sheer number that were being created...we had Ric Olie DFs, all sorts of rubbish DFs. I think we can afford one big DF per forum.

Things needed in a Misc forum:
    * Who would win?
    * Your fav character/hairstyle/sideburns
    * SW games

If we are to leave the misc threads in the Saga forum, we really wouldnt want the misc threads to take up more than, say, about 20% of threads in there. That makes 5 per page (at 25 threads per page). We could easily have one generic "Who would win?" thread, but that only leaves 4 other threads for games and favourites.

Perhaps the answer there is to follow the Role Playing example set in the JCC? Have a weekly "Favourite" thread. One week Fav Ship, the next Fav Actress.

That will leave about 3 threads for games. I think that is a fair amount in any forum that is primarily dedicated to Saga discussion.

Gay-Len (again):
    The point is, just telling them what they can't post isn't going to help anyone understand what we want to see in Misc. You have to give them an example to follow. Otherwise it will just slowly slip back to what it was before, with everyone just finding clever loopholes so they can post the same exact type of threads as before.

I see your point. Unfortunately, to simply provide a good example doesnt cut it. Some of us tried that with the JCC, and it did nothing. If given the choice, most people will post what is easiest. That means the good discussion will get neglected by all but a few.

I think the way forward for Misc is a mix.....good examples being set, and cutting down the easy posting.
    For this, first and foremost, good policy is needed. Stop people from posing the silly stuff. The good posters wont be as turned off, and spend more time there. After that, the worse posters will either mature a bit, or go elsewhere.
    If the policy isnt there first, then this cant really go forward.

That is of course, if you want to transform the Misc forum into the Saga forum.

It would be preferable if the Saga had its own forum, and then it could start fresh and not be tarnished by the tag of being the "Retooled Misc Forum"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.