main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars Saga Forum Is *gasp* Now Open!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Dagsy, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Saga would be great for the category name, the major forum name, with the others falling under it as sub-forums with their threads, so miscellanous wouldn't sound so much like left-overs, as in the yuckky leftovers from 4 meals/days ago growing into a science project in the frig. :D

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm behind this idea 100% -- I think it would be more reasonable to transfer Misc. into a "saga" forum myself. Expect to see some information pertaining this soon.

3. EddieHaskel

EddieHaskel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    lol...if only this much effort was put into the actual discussions this reorganization wouldn't be necessary.

4. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    It does sound a lot like Star Wars Misc.

As RidingMyCaroselOnYou said, it would work out nicely with Star Wars Misc.

5. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

If that was to go ahead, what would be the policy on these game and line by line threads?

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't see the need for another SW related forum. I do see the need to make some changes to SW Misc, to allow more discussion threads to prosper.

I have a feeling that if a new forum is created, people will start complaining a few months down the line, saying that SW Saga is taking all the intelligence away from SW Misc, similar to how some people complain that the Senate and Amphitheatre took intelligence away from YJCC.

7. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    EDIT: Double post [face_blush]

8. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    no, I believe the saga is meant to be the big umbrella, with the others as sub-forums. The misc threads could just be added as loose threads after the sub-forums listing.

9. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    What do you mean by sub-forums? Do you mean making "SW Saga" a Category (similar The SW Films), and having the other forums inside this category, or what?

10. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    yes, that's what I was thinking. There are so many "smaller" and/or "younger" forums, that some of them could be sub-grouped/forumed under the larger SW Saga major forum. So, while it wouldn't be a "major" forum any longer, it still would retain its "minor" forum status as a sub-forum. Then, perhaps, I could find more of you forums out there? :D

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    One of the ideas for revamping Misc. that came up in the AC was holding periodic hosted debates on broad Star Wars-related topics (kind of like the Great Debate, for those who've been here long enough to remember that classic thread). The idea is if we can lure more serious-minded posters back into Misc, the forum may clean itself up just by their presence.

Since Misc was formerly one of my prime haunts, I would love to host a debate there, but I'm not yet 100% sure I would have time to do it. Is anyone else here interested in getting in on the debate project?

12. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    YodaJeff, that is a good point with the parallel between the JCC/Senate Floor, and the Misc/Saga forum.

All I can say in response is that is the presence of Misc threads will hinder Saga discussion, then something has to be done that is in the best interest of the Saga discussion.

I think Saga discussion is more important to the boards than most of the Misc discussion that goes on. As such, if a few feathers are ruffled for the greater good of the board, then so be it.

mac-nut, In my mind, the Saga is an individual forum dedicated to Saga discussion....it can be a catgory name too, but that is a secondary issue.

DLM, Any serious discussion thread is a debate isnt it? :confused:

As I said before, having better posters in there is good....but so long as there are plenty of people going there to post in the games/social threads/DFs/any other less serious discussion threads, then the better discussion will be drowned out.

13. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    If that was to go ahead, what would be the policy on these game and line by line threads?

Yes. Most likely, one line by line thread at a time.

14. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Dagsy, why are you assuming that all the Misc regulars aren't going to want to be a part of saga discussion? I'm sure there are plenty of people in Misc who also participate in the other movie forums. I don't think it's fair to assume that just because they enjoy thread games that they aren't able to enjoy debating the films in a more serious way.

15. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Yes, sorry I missed your question dArTh_wenley

The best suggestion here is one line by line thread....you start with TPM, then when TPM is done, move onto AotC, then ANH etc etc.

Gay-Len by no means do I assume that they wouldnt want to take part in Saga discussion. But the regulars that are there now seem to have a preference for games and social threads and the like. Saga discussion can happen (and is supposed to happen) in there already, but its only a very minor part of the forum. The Misc regulars seem to have made their choice to go with the non-Saga threads.

Thats why I would prefer a new Saga forum....so they can still have their misc threads and it doesnt get in the way of good Saga discussion.

If we want to rename Misc to Saga and emphasise the Saga discussion, then we have to give it more of an emphasis than is currently happening....and that wont happen by simply being a better role model. It wont happen simply by asking nicely. It can only happen by limiting Misc discussion, and getting good Saga discussion happening.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Any serious discussion thread is a debate isnt it?

No, what I'm talking about is holding a structured competitive debate series. There would be a mediator and possibly even teams of debaters.

17. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Ahhh, I see DLM. It sounds difficult to get going.

I dont know, its a nice idea, but I'd rather have a good solid policy for encouraging good discussion threads without needing to resort to gimmicks to get people in.

As I said earlier, having people coming in for a serious discussion is good, but without the accompanying policy changes, they'll likely be turned off staying in there for anything more than these debates.

The other issue about the debates, is that perhaps some people that wander into Misc would think that the good discussion is allowed in these debates but not much elsewhere....so they would refrain from posting serious discussion until a new debate opens and they could take part in it.

18. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Maybe one of the mods should start a thread in Misc that links to this thread, like RMCOY did for the Music Hall discussion. Get some opinions from the regulars.

19. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I fully support the idea of a Saga forum. It would definitely help those who wish to speak about the entire saga, and avoid the perils of their thread getting lost among other forums like TPM, AOTC or CT.

As for whether it should be a separate forum on its own, or be joined to Misc, I think that this should definitely be a question put to the Misc regulars. Misc seems to me that it doesn't have the serious atmosphere needed at present, and if the regulars are unwilling to transform it, I'm not sure if the idea would succeed. Furthermore, there's already a preconception about Misc, so I'm not sure if renaming it would attract more people there.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Has this discussion gone any further in MS? I haven't seen a thread in Misc to ask what the regs want, so I am curious if anything has been decided.

21. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    We've been furious idiots for the past few days, babbling incoherantly to each other about nonsensical concerns.

We're focusing more now. Expect some more opinion soon...ish. :D

22. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Approximately 15 minutes have passed. What's the outcome, Bane? :p

...and a Jango

23. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    'Furious idiots'? LOL, is that anything like being angrily stupid? 8-}

24. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Thanks for upping this Gay-Len....I was going to do that later today, but now there is no need.

I just hope you guys decide to take my thoughts into account....that if the Saga discussion doesnt get a new forum, then at least limit Misc threads to about 20% of the revamped forum. If you dont, you face people making copycat threads, misc threads occupying too much real estate in the first page, and just having Saga threads being drowned out both in number and in the amount of posting.

Its really about priorities....legitimate SW Saga discussion vs bits and pieces of random thoughts. Quality vs Quantity

EDIT: Heh, angrily stupid.

25. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I like the idea of Miscellaneous being transformed to the Saga Forum. There are some good topics already posted in Miscellaneous but they get quickly drowned out by the nonsense threads that pop up. I think it would take some consolidation of threads (line by line, etc.), locking of nonsense threads, clear standards for what topics can be posted, and active moderation to get this forum back on track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.