main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars Saga Forum Is *gasp* Now Open!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Dagsy, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Gay-Len....the Line by line thread can stay in the Saga/Misc forum...it'll only be one thread, so it shouldnt be a nuisance.

Wenley, one game per month is a good option...perhaps 2 or 3 games per month, just to make sure that they can be cycled through at a reasonable rate...it wont take as long to get the next game in if the queue isnt as long.

Social threads....well, I would like to see them limited....only one or two im the Saga forum. Each movie forum could have one.

Gay-Len
    There are a lot of people who enjoy them, it's a great way for less experienced newbies to grow comfortable posting and interacting on the boards.

Well, that can be done in any games thread in the JCC? Or in any social thread in any forum?

If Misc goes through a reform similar to YJCC's, I hope thought is put into if the games stay, and if not, where else they can go.

Well, I think Wenleys idea was a good one, to have monthly rotation of a few games.
    However, if you want to give adequate emphasis to Saga discussion, then a reform that goes above and beyond anything that happened in the JCC will be needed.

I guess thats what it comes down to...are we willing to break a few eggs to make the omlette...hurt the miscellaneous aspect in order to encourage the Saga discussion.

This is exactly why I wanted a new forum....so we dont have to get rid of the miscellaneous threads.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It would probably be better to have another forum but I think Miscellaneous is in an opportune spot to fix. Sure we'll have to cut out some of the redundant crap but it's something that must be done. I've never understood why the defense forces aren't in their respective forums. In my opinion, that's where they belong. As far as the other major social threads, I have no problem with them staying as long as they discuss star wars. When the Blue Yoda Society was moved, one of the primary reasons was because we became very social and stopped discussing Star Wars. We were thrown to the JCC to see if we would sink or swim. I have no problem doing that to the other non-defense force social threads.

EDIT: I like the idea of rotating the games and limiting the "line by line" threads to one continuous thread.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm pretty sure the AOTC Defense Force wasn't allowed in the AOTC forum because separating "basher" and "gusher" people only separated the forum. Instead of grouping people into one of two categories, in which they either have to love or hate everything in the film, members should be able to like certain parts and dislike other parts.

In other words, the defense force wasn't allowed in the AOTC forum, but, through a loophole or something, was able to survive in Misc.

4. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That's fine but people don't have to post in the defense force threads. I don't see how those threads being in their respective forums would divide the forum. Some people like myself, wouldn't choose either side. Just because the thread is there doesn't mean people have to participate on one side or the other.

5. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    We were sent to Misc. The decision was made to move all the DFs to the Roleplaying forum. Then it was agreed that they didn't really belong there, so they were moved to Misc. It was decided to let TPM DF back into the TPM forum, but all of the individual OT DF's were combined into a OT DF. Character DF's were closed down, but fan clubs were allowed to be created, also in Misc. I'm not sure where the EU DF was sent, probably to the EU Community forum.

It isn't by some loophole that the AOTC DF is in Misc, it was sent there. They do discuss SW, with a bit of socializing mixed in.

But we are kinda going in circles here. If we could get some word from the mods about how they plan to proceed, we could get more accomplished.

Mods, is it even possible to create a new Saga forum, or is it out of the question? I don't think we need the Misc mods specifically to make that call, so we don't have to wait for DA to get back from his break. Once we know for sure either way, we can split off into a Saga Forum creation thread (probably just stay in this one) and a Misc Reform thread, or focus here how to make Misc more saga-discussion friendly.

6. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Gay-Len, I think the problem is that people are pretty split on this issue, whether to create a new forum or to use the Misc Forum. The AC hasn't decided anything either. Both sound like pretty good options, but it's not clear which is more positive.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Personally, I think that the SW Misc forum should be renamed, with new rules put in place. Otherwise, all intelligence would be sucked out of SW Misc, and it would become the spam haven that some people seem to think YJCC is.

8. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

[i]Personally, I think that the SW Misc forum should be renamed, with new rules put in place. Otherwise, all intelligence would be sucked out of SW Misc, and it would become the spam haven that some people seem to think YJCC is.[hr][/i]
    I couldn't agree more. Miscellaneous currently has the "anything goes" feel about it. A name change and clear rules and expectations of what should be posted is needed and we will all be better for it.

9. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    YodaJeff, its a double edged sword....seperate the forums, and have the Misc forum lose intelligent discussion, or dont seperate the forums and put in place new rules, and face 2 options:

1) If the rules are too lax, you wouldnt encourage Saga discussion enough; or
    2) Make the rules tough, and the Misc threads will be cut right back on, in which case people complain that the forum is no longer fun.

Heh, I guess thats a triple edged sword then?

We have to ask ourselves what the priorities are....Misc or Saga.

I think most people will agree that the Saga discussion is the priorities.

That means either have a seperate forum, or to restrict Misc threads.

If we have seperate forums, we might lose the intelligent discussion in Misc, but at least its still there for the regulars.

If we keep the forums together, well, then one will have to suffer....it'd be damned tough to avoid that.

10. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    This may be a little off the topic but I think each of the OT films should have their own forum.

11. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I forsee a time where there will only be a PT, an OT, and a SAGA forum for movie discussions.

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "This may be a little off the topic but I think each of the OT films should have their own forum."

The OT forum as it is doesn't get a huge amount of traffic, though.

Amazing.

13. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    "I think most people will agree that the Saga discussion is the priorities. That means either have a seperate forum, or to restrict Misc threads. "

I agree that Saga discussion should be our priority. It's a Star Wars forum that is sort of the ghetto of the Star Wars boards, where not much actually happens except post pumping and a maintainence of the status quo. Nothing intelligent is promoted in there, for the most part. To split the forum, therefore, would be to create another ghetto, another dumping ground for those threads that don't fit anywhere else and maybe shouldn't be in the first place.

I think a Saga Forum, with maybe a half dozen carry-over threads (with the core thread ideas represented) from Misc would be the best bet.

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I've been actively moderating in Misc and I must say it's a great forum, not at all like I thought it was going to be. There are some great topics and fun topics, too. I wouldn't change too much in there. It, too, suffers from misconceptions of what it really is. I encourage other movie admins to post in there. It's really fun. It has its own sense of community and I'd be cognizant to leave that in place as it is.

15. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I think that introducing some "official" serious topics in there might be a good start, so as to assure those who want a serious discussion that their time in Misc would not be wasted. In fact, I can see how Misc would already be a Saga forum - doesn't the saga cover everything within SW, like Misc does? Sticking with the Misc forum would be good, especially if we wish to improve it.

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I wouldn't change too much at all with Misc. There are serious discussions in there that are fantastic.

17. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Quick ?, wouldn't it make sense for all of the movies discussions to be on one forum?

I think that it would.

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I think right now it makes sense to separate them out. Ideas from the OT would get lost with all the PT topics. Right now, the PT is hot and would dominate all OT discussion.

19. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I agree with Sapient. The discussion about the PT is much more active than the OT. Combining everything would not only hide much of the OT discussion, it would also make it very unclear exactly which movie we are referring to, at least in the titles.

20. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I wouldn't change too much at all with Misc. There are serious discussions in there that are fantastic.

I must be missing something.

21. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    SW Miscellaneous is the one and only forum I've ever moderated where I almost never, ever, have to moderate. It runs itself and the members handle themselves quite responsibly.

22. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I agree with DarthSapient. There is not that much wrong with the Miscellaneous forum. I have no problem with it. There is a good mix of serious discussion and games in the forum. After all it is called Miscellaneous, so games and stuff should go in there. But I do agree that a Saga Forum may be needed in the near future, but this should be around the time we get closer to Episode III.

About the Line-By-Line(I post in them alot), I don't believe they have to be put into one thread, there are usually only two or three at a time going, so I don't think it is necessary to put them into one thread, also I think it might be confusing to new users.

23. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    As long as the thread title is changed to reflect which movie is being quoted, it shouldn't be confusing.

24. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    So, Sape, you like the Misc forum as it is?

Does that mean that you wont want to change it to increase the emphasis on Saga discussion, or does that mean that you advocate taking out the Saga discussion and putting it into a new forum, while keeping Misc essentially the same (other than the absence of Saga discussion)?

25. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    I've been directing some good Saga-related threads that were posted in the AOTC forum to the Misc forum. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them have been reposted there yet. :(

There are some intelligent threads in the Misc forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.