main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars Saga: One set of six movies or two sets of three?

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    This came up on another message board I go to, yesterday. Do you consider the Star Wars Saga one set of six movies, or two sets of three? Remember, this is you, not George Lucas.

For me, I think of them as two sets of three.

With the PT, it seemed to me like Lucas got too enamored with his new toys. So much of the them had hey-look-what-we-can-do effects while in the OT, the effects were there because that's what the story called for.

But I think the big problem for me is that they came out too far apart. I still remember my mom coming up to my school so we could ride the bus to the movie theater so I could see Empire and Jedi on opening day.

Then, for 15+ years, Star Wars was done. Sure there were novels and comics, but no matter how good they were, they weren't the same.

Cut to 1999 and it's back. Only it looks different. It feels different. It's all bright and shiny. The Jedi are jumping around like gymnasts on speed. The essence of the Force is something called "midi-chlorians" instead of this great mystical thing binding the galaxy together. And what's with all this political garbage? These movies are supposed to be fun, not the evening news.

Everything was different. It was Star Wars, to be sure, and I liked it, but it wasn't the Star Wars I remembered.

That's why it'll always be two sets of three for me.

2. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I think of it as one big movie...it just makes more sense if you do it that way. As well as if it was one big movie I wouldn't have to deal with people making fun of TPM or any of the prequels! It has nothing to do with George Lucas....

3. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I look at it as one movie too. What I really like about it now is starting at TPM and looking at all of the major characters, ships, etc. and seeing how they evolve over the course of the movies. For me, the first time I saw any initial stage of something from the prequels, I was thrilled to realize "ooh! so that's going to become this!"

And even though both trilogies have the droids, whenever I try tying them together, the crux of both is Obi-Wan. Seeing Ewan morph into a young Alec Guinness, then seeing Alec in ANH is just what ties everything together for me. The droids really don't evolve much (aside from 3PO getting coverings in AOTC, and then his gold paint job isn't too drastic a change in ROTS), and Vader is Anakin for over 90% of the prequels, so he almost feels like two different characters. However, Obi-Wan has the same look in ROTS and ANH (albeit the age difference), and has a lot of expository dialogue in the OT, so he really makes the saga flow as one storyline to me personally.

4. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    It bothers me when people criticize the look of the prequels, especially when they complain about the big, elaborate backgrounds.

If you look at the Original Trilogy conceptual artwork by Ralph McQuarrie, you'll notice that the backgrounds are every bit as big, open, and elaborate as the Prequel Trilogy. The difference is that George Lucas didn't have the means to fully create such a world on film.

The Prequel Trilogy has a look more consistent with the original conceptual artwork than the Original Trilogy. No wonder George Lucas waited 16 years to make the Prequels.

5. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I definitely see 2 sets of 3, as one movie. I am always going to be a fan of watching them 4-6 first (my kids can already be ready for that), then later, watching 1-6 as a whole. I have nothing against watching them 1-6, but for someone new to the saga, I find its much better to be surprised by everything first: Not knowing Vader is luke's father, not knowing who yoda is, not knowing what a jedi is. ANH does such a great job of introducing you to the world, and empire and jedi further it...then you get to see where everything came from. To me, seeing vader as a man and then a monster isn't that great...I'd rather see him as a monster, then learn why he became that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.