main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars scores: obsessive listeners only

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by CopernicusDent, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    [Well, anyone is welcomed to read and post. How?s this, if you?re a person who believes Episode II doesn?t have tracked-on music from other Star Wars movies you should probably look elsewhere to post your two-cents.]

All right then...?

So, recently I?ve noticed some sweet musical-melodic bringing from Menace to Clones.

In the beginning of Episode I when we first see our senator from Naboo we hear this eerie, ominous, melody that might be a spin-off of the Emperors theme.

In Episode II I hear the same melody when the Councilor is talking to Anakin.

So do you think it has any musical meaning or just an odd similarity?

2. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    So, recently I?ve noticed some sweet musical-melodic bringing from Menace to Clones.

Huh? Can you translate that please?

In the beginning of Episode I when we first see our senator from Naboo we hear this eerie, ominous, melody that might be a spin-off of the Emperors theme.

When we see Palps/Sid in the begining of Episode 1 we hear the Emperor's Theme (from ROTJ). Not a spinoff.

In Episode II I hear the same melody when the Councilor is talking to Anakin.

Personally, I couldn't pick up on any solid theme during the scene with Anakin and Supreme Chancellor Palps. Maybe I need to watch the movie again. :)

3. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Oh, haha ? I meant (sweet melodic "Bridging")

"When we see Palps/Sid in the begining of Episode 1 we hear the Emperor's Theme (from ROTJ). Not a spinoff."

Uh... no, sorry I need to be more specific. When we first see Senator Palpatine?s hologram, we hear that eerie music.

4. Anaquinne

Anaquinne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    What I loved (probably the only musical moment that stood out in my mind from AOTC) was during Anakin's confession, when the Emperor's theme came in. Not Darth's theme, but the theme of the evil guy who was pulling his strings, bringing to mind the whole of the Dark Side. The swelling of the music also perfectly matched Ani's voice and inflection... it was perfect.

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    That eerie music IS the Emp's theme. Unless you mean the beginning of the cue, which was recycled 3 times (I counted) in AotC.

6. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I know what motif you're talking about. I only heard it in that scene between Anakin and Palpatine in AOTC though... never in TPM. And I did notice that it is not the Emperor's Theme literally stated, but rather a disguised variation of it in solo trumpet.

7. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I agree with you, Claire. That inclusion of Palpatines theme, along with the Imperial March was a nice touch. I was hoping for more of Palpatines theme during the film, so here's hoping for Episode III!

8. Wolfspirit_

Wolfspirit_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Hey sorry that I will go out of subject but I want to bring a point on the AOTC soundtrack which is one of my favourite JW moves ever.

At the end of the "End Credits" of AOTC we all know that once the Star Wars main theme fades then Across the Stars commences. Now, have you noticed just before the end of the track (1 minute or so) the quick succession of all Anakin-related themes? The original Love Theme fades and Anakin's Theme from TPM begins. And then Anakin's Theme is again transformed into the main melody of the Love Theme. But just before the end we have the Bass playing clearly Darth Vader's Theme. And just when you though it would end the flute (or whatever that is) that was playing the Love Theme goes very high and plays the last 5 notes of Darth Vader's theme following the bass which was already playing Darth Vader's theme. Symbolically this shows us the full course of Anakin in the prequels. His past an innocent boy, his present and forbidden love that (problably) ruined him, and his future as the Dark Lord of the Sith. Personally I think that was a magnificent ending of the End Credits which leads directly and inevitably to a very Dark E3. Furthermore if you combine the end of TPM where it again ended with Vader's theme but only in the bass and very subtle in its presence you get a sense that the menace is now longer that far away, since in AOTC Vader's theme is much more present.

So what do you guys & girls think of that bit of the Soundtrack of AOTC? Personaly I think it proves once again Williams's genious and IMHO Star Wars would be much much poorer if it weren't for Williams's music.

Besides if there is a field that the PT has done better than the OT (excluding technological andvancements) is the music score...

9. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "And I did notice that it is not the Emperor's Theme literally stated, but rather a disguised variation of it in solo trumpet."

I?ve always kind of felt that, but yes, it is disguised cleverly. It sounds like the Emperor?s theme, and it doesn?t all at the same time.

Wolfspirit: That's precisely how I feel, Clones? end credit cue is perfect, I wish it got into the movie.

Leitmotif is a very powerful thing.

10. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    In reply to the first post. Are you saying you heard small bits of the dark side theme when we first saw the queen? Don't yell at me is this is stupid but do you think the music is hinting Padme being evil? I hear what i think is the emperor's theme during the battle plans scene in TPM. AND the "poloticion is not to be trusted" could actaully mean something, and remember Lucas said you wouldn't know who to trust in ep3 (i think he said that but don't kill me if he didn't.) If you think this is a load of [put word here] don't yell at me. Music hinting Padme being evil. Also remember Lucas rejected the Padme theme for TPM, it was probably going to be a sweet sounding theme, maybe lucas didn't want it because he's planning a complete turn around about padme. HMMM... You never know, my brain just had a theory. (And yes this does have to with music, music hinting something about padme)

11. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Well... no, I was referring to the music when the hologram signal was breaking up.

12. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I don't have the soundtrack music, but I have downloaded a bunch of Star Wars music from Episode II, and I like the love theme.

13. ouchbox

ouchbox Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I thought that exact same thought, CopernicusDent. When Ani and Palpatine are walking towards the door in his office, the trumpet flares up and it reminded me of that eerie horn music when we first see the hologram of Palpatine in TPM.

The motif seems like an inverted or disguised "Emperor's Theme", yes.

14. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    well, maybe thats not what you thought, but hey, you never know...

15. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    Careful there, Samwise.

We don't take well to the pirating kind 'round here.

Plus, the soundtrack has SUPERIOR sound quality....no crappy-sounding crash symbals.

16. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Well I can't exactly afford a bunch of CD's. Burning your own CD's is better and much cheaper! besides, it sound the same. I like it better that way, and I think ppl agree with me^_^ (no offence to anyone who doesn't agree)

17. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Something I have not seen mentioned here: I absolutely love that Shmi's Theme can be heard in AOTC seconds prior to her death scene. But, unlike in TPM, where the theme was upbeat and somewhat optimistic, the theme heard in AOTC is overtly melancholic and foreshadows what is to come. Truly one of the great musical moments of AOTC, of which there were many.

18. Anakin3-

Anakin3- Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2002
    Ok for The Phantom Menece Soundtrack there were I think 2 versions the orginal and a ultimate edition, which is the music to the entire movie. (I mean the entire movie.) Does anyone know if they are going to do that for Attack of the Clones?

19. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    Anakin3- : I never knew that! Where is that available?

I noticed that there are some sound snippets from the movie, AOTC, that I would have liked to have heard in the soundtrack that's been released. For example the music that is played when Palpating is giving his, "it is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling...I love democracy. I love the republic. The powa you give me I will lay down when this crisis is abated; and as my first act with this new authority, I will create a grahnd ahmy of the republic to counter the increasing threats of the separtists."

oooh, getting a little quote carried away there. I love that line...but the music during it is great! very ominous and heavy.

20. Anakin3-

Anakin3- Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2002
    *****Machinating*****
    If you go to any music store it is the one with Darth Maul on the cover it's blue and shimmery almost. It's like $40.00 at the most. I don't remember. It's 2 cd's. It's a really good soundtrack. I love it. I bought it 3 years ago.

I know what your talking about with the democracy and the republic part.
    I love it too. I hope I helped you.

If anyone else can still answer my question I would love it thanks.

Anakin3-

21. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "The motif seems like an inverted or disguised "Emperor's Theme", yes."

I?m glade we see eye-to-eye. :)

"Does anyone know if they are going to do that for Attack of the Clones?"

I?m sure Sony will release the complete Clones score in the same time frame as they did for the Phantom Menace.
    The first album came out in May of 99, and the expanded album was released on November of 2000 (was it)?

As all Star Wars fans we shall just have to wait, and purchase multiple copies of the same product.

"Something I have not seen mentioned here: I absolutely love that Shmi's Theme can be heard in AOTC seconds prior to her death scene."

You also hear it when Anakin is talking about his nightmares with Obi-Wan.

Williams said once that there is a Queen then in Menace but I?ve yet to hear it.

"Well I can't exactly afford a bunch of CD's."

Try moonlighting.

22. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    First of all, and no offence here, but Anakin3- and Machiavel need to read all the key threads on this board before continuing in this discussion. Not knowing about the UE on this board is like going into the AOTC board and asking when Episode 2 is coming out.

And I'd like to pick up on WolfSpirit's very good point about the 'distance' from the OT heard at the end of each end credits. Well spotted, and although it may not be intentional, it's stil there and you have identified an interesting trend, which I think will be proven when the end credits for Episode 3 finish with a huge Imperial March conclusion. Now that would be nice.

23. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Discussion: Musical expectations for Episode III.

Your thoughts...?

Here's one of mine:

Along with bridging many of the underdeveloped themes from prequel trilogy onto Episode 4,5, and 6, I think it would be interesting to bridge the Force Theme (Ben?s theme in Episode IV) and evolve it to the Force theme to Ben?s theme and then ultimately back to force theme.
    Sort of to make Ben Kenobi?s theme all the more important when A New Hope rolls around, so we can experience musically why Obi-Wan is really the embodiment of the Jedi.

24. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Another thought, should Count Dooku have the same evil/motif that was in Epiosde II or should he have a whole new theme altogether?

25. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Hmmm, on second thought, I guess it isn?t his theme to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.