main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars scores: obsessive listeners only

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by CopernicusDent, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Na Wibo

Na Wibo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    So, about the disguised version of the Emperor's theme, could you post the track & time it appears on the Phantom Menace UE soundtrack? Is it track 6, about 1:22?

As for its appearance in Clones, I don't suppose that part is on the CD, is it?

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I think for the moment we have to listen to the score on the dvd as Palpy counsels Anakin in his office. (What a great scene!) It'll be much easier to discern on a cd release. It's one of the parts I'm looking forward to.

3. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    "So, about the disguised version of the Emperor's theme, could you post the track & time it appears on the Phantom Menace UE soundtrack? Is it track 6, about 1:22?"

Close. Same track, but it starts up at 1:29. Very eerie, almost sounds dissonant if you don?t keep your ears open.

4. Na Wibo

Apr 28, 2000
    Thanks. I left that disc at work so I'll have to give it a listen on Monday.

5. Na Wibo

Apr 28, 2000
    Aha, I hear at least the TPM part of this connection. I hear that little motif 3 times in that track (Track 6 on TPM UE), in horns and flute. I'll have to wait till I see AotC again to see how it fits in there.

6. Na Wibo

Apr 28, 2000
    Due to an increase in my obsessivity level, I've noticed another similar variation on the Emperor's theme in TPM.

Disc 1, Trk 16, 0:42, heard twice in low reeds, then horn.

Disc 1, Trk 23, 0:52, in low brass.

Disc 1, Trk 28, 0:26.

Possibly in Disc 2, Trk 9.

BTW, Thanks Dent for pointing this out in the first place.

7. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Hmmm, that's a really interesting connection, I don't think there is one, but all those passages are very similar to the music in question. Especially the first track you mentioned.

8. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    i think Count Dooku should have his own theme. Im not too worried about the themes. John Williams has done a fin job with the soundtracks and I have a lot of faith that he will continue that excellence in Episode III.

9. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    If every character that says more than 10 lines and/or takes part in a saberfight had a theme, I think the score would be overblown with themes. I mean, Mace Windu could have a theme as well, couldn't he?

Even Darth Maul didn't have a real theme as far as I remember, just some ''whisperings'' or something. It's fine by me if only major characters or plot elements (that really influence OT events, e.g. Anakin and the love story) have developed themes.

On the other hand, the sweeping Kamino motif (track 1) was a nice ''bonus''.

10. JEDISOOSE

JEDISOOSE Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    Ok, I've been wanting to get this off my chest ever since I noticed it:

AOTC Track 13

At (9:39)the motif from Anakin's theme in the alto/soprano voices, passes into
    the motif of Anakin & Padme's love theme (10:01). As the theme continues, the tenor and bass play Vader's theme at(10:02), all four voices proceed with their respective themes until the soprano at (10:13) plays the motif from Princess Leia's theme! The motif continues, and at (10:19) the bass reprises Vader's theme.

I always interpreted this as John Williams' clever attempt at foreshadowing the events in Episode 3. He used the same kind of device in Anakin's theme from the Phantom Menace soundtrack; throwing in Vader's theme as the coda.

The man is a true genius.

11. jdini76

jdini76 Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2002
    GK edit: Please do not spam. If you do not understand this edit/warning, you should send me a PM.

12. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    true, and that has been noted numerous times...

however, if you watch your dvd, it didn't make it into the movie...someone's decision, we are not sure who...this has been debated tirelessly.

and BV, I agree with you....there is no way that dooku would get a theme. Especially becuase he may not be in the entire movie (a la anakin offs him in a confrontation similar to ROTJ). I think that, if anything, he will probably just retain the connection with the mystery theme.

13. Na Wibo

Apr 28, 2000
    JEDISOOSE: I also recently noticed the connection there to the concert arrangement of Leia's Theme from ANH (which was also not in the film). The bit from AOTC does not actually sound like Leia's actual theme to me, but it is very similar to the violin cadenza at the end of the concert arrangement. I wasn't sure if that was intentional on JW's part or not.

14. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "however, if you watch your dvd, it didn't make it into the movie...someone's decision, we are not sure who...this has been debated tirelessly."

JEDISOOSE was just analyzing track 13 of the Attack of the Clones album, I don?t think he was suggesting anything else other than what he said.

15. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Oh, I know, I just didn't want this thread to turn into all the others where people start arguing about why/who didn't put it in...

a little more on topic...dent, on the last page you asked about some musical expectations similar to these bridges that we have discussed on this thread. Well, here is a neat idea...

Personally, I did like the cues in AOTC that used Anakin's theme (tracked on during the balcony scene after the dream, etc...). However, I guess I was hoping that this theme would carry over a little more. I can see that JW probably didn't want the older Anakin to associate too much with the innocense within his TPM theme, but I wonder where he is possibly going to go...

one thought...it seems likely that if we see his theme at all in the next movie, it is going to either be at a moment where Padme is able to briefly back him away from the edge, or possibly just her remembering him as "that little boy." Perhaps we will hear a little of it in relation to any shots we will see of the twins. Possibly an eerie rememberance of the innocence he had as you see his innocent offspring, almost giving the audience fear as to what evil these two might to...

16. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Great thoughts, tenor! Though I think the reality is that George (or some else), asked to have music in that scene, when there was previously none.

17. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Personally, I did like the cues in AOTC that used Anakin's theme (tracked on during the balcony scene after the dream, etc...). However, I guess I was hoping that this theme would carry over a little more. I can see that JW probably didn't want the older Anakin to associate too much with the innocense within his TPM theme, but I wonder where he is possibly going to go...

I like this assessment. Hopefully in Episode III, we'll hear the darker statement of Anakin's theme, as heard in his concert suite in Menace.

18. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    I was watching The Empire Strikes Back recently and I noticed that there's a piece of music that was reused (not counting Rescue From Cloud City/Hyperspace).

When Luke is getting revived in the bacta tanks, a small section of music from Luke awaking upside down in the Wampa's cave is replayed. However, it's recorded very softly, so listen for the brass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.