main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars Starbucks Reunion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sasha Sawyer, Jul 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Eowyn

Jedi Eowyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 1999
    Hi Callie!

After reading the advice books and getting writers block and starting to feel it all a drudgery, I was still proud of what I'd made, and I showed it to a computer friend. ouch.

Well, he was honest.

And I put it down for a while, and thought about what he said, and realized that though he isn't completely correct, he had some points. And that I shouldn't be waiting to get to my plot, but have it grinding away at all times. I needed to tell a story and not keep pausing in diary like scenes for my characters.

It is a restart, and I'm trying again. But I also learned not to write a story when I don't feel it. If I wait a month, then the next chapter will magically flow. For me the advice to write some every night has to be tempered: write some, but don't force yourself to write on a project which you don't feel right now.

So I go slow, JC.

How are you doing? Is Callista well & happy?

2. Jedi Callie

Jedi Callie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 1999
    Hey Eowyn! About plot and slow starts and not writing what you think is good enough--don't forget it's ok to have all these things happen in your first draft :). Your first draft is where you're "finger-painting" in a sense, just getting messy and getting all your ideas out on paper. Think of it as a brain dump. Don't worry about giving it a form or a shape yet, just go with the flow and see where it leads you. Then when you've got it all done, that's when the real work starts. Now you have something to evaluate, and you can go back and work on the plot wherever you think it needs work, or fix the dialogue or description--you get the idea :).

That said, I should take my own advice, because I am TERRIBLE at keeping all this in mind. I have to constantly fight this attitude of, "I can't possibly go on, because I have to fix this terrible thing first!" But I've gotten better at telling myself "not to care" at that very moment and just promising myself to fix it later... I still have my moments of not being able to move on though LOL, like right now, where I've been stuck on a chapter for the last month because I kept fixing little things ;-).

I've experienced the same thing you have, that writing only when I feel like it generally gives me better "flow" and better material. But I've also found that writing in stops and spurts hurts my momentum a lot. I'm the kind of person that finds it very easy to stop doing something once I keep putting it off and putting it off. After a while, I thought I would try writing every day no matter what, just to see how things would be--how terrible I could get, so to speak LOL. I knew there would be days where I'd write pure, um, excrement, and I wanted to sort of desensitize myself to that. So I did, and a wonderful, unexpected thing happened: I actually got a little better :). There really is truth to that adage "practice makes perfect." I mean, I am faaar from perfect LOL, but I really did see my skills being sharpened the more I did this everyday!

So for the past three months, I've been writing every single day (give or take a few days here and there--I'm not FANATICAL about this). My big fear was that I'd have sluggish days where I'd produce really bad writing, and even though that has happened from time to time, for the most part, it's been good for me because it's made writing a habit for me. I look forward to that scheduled hour where I sit down to do it :). If nothing seems to be coming out as far as my story goes, I just write in my writing journal, or I just pratice freewriting or something... But I write "something" for that block of time I have reserved for it :).

Oh geez, I didn't mean to write a long post on this LOL. But see, get me talking about this and you get me all excited :). I've really gotten into this in the last year, especially after taking some fiction writing courses at a local college. It's been a lot of fun!!! :)

PS I am doing well... It's been a roller-coaster-like last few months, but I've hung in there and things seem to be going well now LOL. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, of course :)

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Gee, I don't know which Starbucks to post in! I'll probably hang out over at "home" mostly, pop in here a bit, and try not to repeat myself too much! If'n yous don't mind! :)

SASHA: I enjoyed X-Men VERY much! But, I knew nothing about the characters or the comics and had no expectations other than to be entertained for an hour and a half...which I most definitely was! QGT was ecstatic when I told him that Ian McKellan (sp?) was going to be in it, and now I see why! I had only seen him in "Gods and Monsters," and should have known from that that he would be amazing!

About the yellow spandex - quite a few people in the audience laughed at that remark and I leaned over to QGT and said, "He must wear yellow spandex in the comic." He said, "Yeah he does - with a big X on it!"

And pickle juice - isn't that a food group? LOL!

CALLIE: Ooo, 40's stuff! Have you seen the movie "Blast from the Past?" The 40's bar in that movie is great! I wish we had stuff like that where I live! *sigh* I might actually enjoy clubs, then!

EOWYN: You'd never played with Legos!?! Omigosh! I'll let Qui-Gon Tim tell you about his life with Legos!

And I know what y'all mean about the "favorite users" thing. At first I said, "Not gonna do it!" But then I felt bad that I was on other people's lists... So I opted for an all-or-nothing approach. Since I basically hang out at two threads, I am slowly adding everone I can from those threads. It's a work in progress...

A funny SW reference - one of the previews before X-Men was the second Nutty Professor movie and there is a take-off of Obi-Wan from ANH...it was funny! I'm not a fan of Eddie Murphy, but may try to catch it on cable to see that bit!

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    CALLIE: We must've been posting at the same time! You inspire me! I've been tinkering with the idea of writing a fan fic but have been almost dreading it. I haven't written fiction in ten years, but I have this story floating around in my head. I actually sat down the other night and have two hand-written pages of a very rough outline. I guess all there is to do now is just to start punching it out and see what I can make of it! Won't be anything long or fancy, and I've even thought of posting it here at TFN under a different screen name in case no one likes it! Isn't that pitiful? [face_clown]

5. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Okay okay...I finally made it over here. Thanks for the reminder, Sasha. One thing I really detest about this new system..I can't BOOKMARK my favorite threads anymore :-( I hate wasting time looking for my old favorites! Time is of the essence for me lately.

ok...another pole...let's see if I can come up with anything original.

1. If you could be any character in any of the Star Wars MOVIES, and live ONE day of their movie life (example: Bobba Fett, the day he falls in the Sarlacc Pit), -- Who would you be and what day would you want?

YIKES....I have NO idea!

2. What's the worst movie you've ever seen and why?
    recently? A & E's "Longitude" OH MY GOD! Can we say SLOW!!!?!?!?!? ok..it might have been interesting in 2 hours but FOUR hours of endless rejection? I couldn't watch it anymore...I finally saw the ending last night..geez...soooo not worth my time! They made a BIG mistake putting the Jeremy Irons part in there talk about a waste of time! UGH!

3. Which would you rather do, -- Pod Race, Trench Run, or Lightsabre Duel?
    Lightsabre duel

4. Name something odd/strange that you like.
    spaghetti omlets

5. When you order a double scoop ice cream cone, what flavours do you usually order?

Mint chocolate chip
    French vanilla

6. If you wear a perfume or cologne, what kind?

recently I've been enjoying "plumeria" by body fantasies. THough I usually wear lilac or lilies of the valley or honeysuckle.

7. What things have you been turning to recently for entertainment? (tv, books, sports, etc)

tv

well...that's about it for me....back to the laundry. nice stopping by ;-)

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    As I've said before- I married into Starbucks. Does that make me a Jedi-in-law?

1. If you could be any character in any of the Star Wars MOVIES, and live ONE day of their movie life (example: Bobba Fett, the day he falls in the Sarlacc Pit), -- Who would you be and what day would you want?
    Ooooooh. Toughie. Strange enough, I would want to be Luke on the day he turns Vader back to the light side of the Force. That would be a victory to eclipse any other- to salvage a soul.

You have no idea of my expertise in this field, do you? There are several ties here. "Manos: Hands of Fate", "Liquid Sky", "The Dallas Connection".... I'll stop there- we don't have enough time to cover them all. The ones I listed all made "Showgirls" look like "Citizen Kane".

Lightsaber Duel.

I eat peanuts with the shells still on 'em. Yummy!!!!!

5. When you order a double scoop ice cream cone, what flavours do you usually order?
    Black Walnut and Butter Pecan.

Status.

7. What things have you been turning to recently for entertainment? (tv, books, sports, etc)
    I've been reading here and there when I can. Right now I'm finishing up "'Tis" by Frank McCourt. I have a bad habit of reading about two or three books at once. I'm still in the middle of the unabridged version of "Les Miserables". I also watch a few movies here and there on TV. As some of you well know, though, I spend entirely too much time on the net.

7. Padmewan McGregor

Padmewan McGregor Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 1999
    *Cue Rebel Fanfare *

Well folks, here I am... late as usual and jumping in the middle of a groovy conversation. I'm actually logging in remotely so I can't stay long (I'm in Chicago for the weekend). But quickly, if I can remember Sasha's questions (yes, I know UBB code doesn't work, that's for old time's sake) in no particular order...

The *only* movie I've ever walked out on is the 5th Element - couldn't stand it. I think I left right at the good part, when the naked chick showed up. (As for Mars Attacks! - Natalie's in it. 'Nuff said).

I don't get double-scoop ice cream because I'm a cheapo. But my favorite ice cream, well, it's not my favorite but it brings back good memories from my childhood, is pink peppermint. I can't find it anywhere... Does anyone know where to get some?

Something SW-related: I watched Empire last night for the nth time... Lightsaber duels are tops, no doubt. I would be a very sucky pod racer - what I liked about the OT duels is that they were very psychological. It was as much about trash talk as about physicality. The TPM duel was wonderfully choreographed and amazing visually, but you don't get that back-and-forth at all between Maul and Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon. (Some eye contact, yes). Well, Maul was a recalcitrant character anyway.

Also - I know I am stepping into hot water with this comment - I was ever-so-much-amused by Hamill's acting again. My favorite line: "But Han and Leia will die if I don't!" (Faster delivery ~= emotion).

Also, I forgot how thin Lucas's action lines were -

"Luke, I've a got a malfunction in fire control!"
    "Steady, Dak." (What good does that do him?)
    cf. "Steady... steady" (JJB)
    "Just hang on!" (Another useful tactical suggestion)

Remind me to talk about Lego's next time... Boy I had a fun time turning my Lego's into Star Wars creations when I was a kid...

A question for everyone:

One year later, after the hype has died down (as if! Lucas needs to get a tighter grip on his PR people, he's gonna media fatigue everyone before II even gets filmed), what is your opinion of TPM?

8. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Trace: ooh, ooh, another fanfic writer, cool!!! :) Yes, you should DEFINITELY go for it!! It's so much fun, believe me, although I should probably warn you: it is EXTREMELY addicting. Fanfic really should come with a warning from the surgeon general ;-)

9. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Hey, Padmewan! I really missed ya when "Where The Heart Is" was out--I had no one really with whom to gush about Natalie :). I LOVED her performance in that! I thought she was absolutely exquisite!

Now, back to your TPM question: what do I think about it now, one year later? When I first saw it I was disappointed, then I warmed up to it, and now I'm sort of back to being neutral about it. I love certain aspects of it (visually it was amazing, and I loved seeing the actual Jedi culture come to life and having certain things be clarified, etc.), but overall, I'd have to say, as a standalone, I would never have loved this movie without knowledge of its predecessors or its future sequels. *shrug*

PS Hey, don't worry, I'm not putting a voodoo curse on you 'cause ya pointed out some stuff about Mark's acting LOL...

10. Toshi Station

Toshi Station Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 1999
    Hey everyone! Long time, no chat!

Hope everyone that was invited has been able to drop in- I'm a little late but better late than never.

CALLIE: By all means, include "Ac-cen-tuate" in your wedding plans. I think that's a wonderful song. It also reminds me of LA Confidential (I also think Jerry Goldsmith's LA theme is perfect for the movie-I need that soundtrack!).

SASHA: I've received all of your emails- glad to be included and to be remembered as one of the "originals" (it's been almost a year ago that we all met-personally, I thought the whole board was better than).

TO EVERYONE: Enjoy yourselves for the next couple of days- it will never be the same again (everyone has become too busy to pop in as much as we all did last year- of course, once the 2nd movie comes out, I'm sure we'll all be back in full force).

See ya!

11. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Btw, since I am completely clueless about how this new forum works (I just sort of "stumble into things," hoping I'll actually succeed in what I'm trying to do, like post LOL), what is this controversial "favorites" thing that everyone is talking about? How does it work?

In any case, if it's something exclusionary, then I won't take part in it 'cause I don't want anyone to be left out. Lord knows I've known that feeling way too many times in my life and I will not be the cause of it for someone else LOL!

Hi, TOSHI! Yes, that song *was* played in LAC, and I pointed that out to my best friend when we saw that movie in the theatre. She turned to me and said, "So?" It had absolutely no meaning for her LOL, 'cause she didn't watch Homefront faithfully like I did! But as for me, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face 'cause it reminded me of my favorite show. And now of course, the song reminds me of not only my favorite show, but one of my all-time favorite movies (after SW, naturally)! :) And no, I still haven't read "The Black Dahlia" but I have been meaning to ever since you told me about it last year (has it been that long now? Sheesh!). One of these days, when I've finished working myself down the tower (and I do mean this literally) of books on my bedroom floor, I will have to pick that book up at the store!

EOWYN: If you ever want to sample Barbara Hambly's writing, I would suggest either "Dragonsbane" or "A Free Man Of Color." Hambly at her best :). And if you just can't warm up to her after either of those books, then she's probably not for you. Her style is very unique; you will either love it or hate it, but you'll probably know right away which it will be LOL. Anyhow, "Dragonsbane," as the title suggests, is about a dragonslayer, but the story really focuses more on his mageborn lover and the conflict within her, knowing that if she has any chance of ever really becoming the mage she dreams of being, she can not give any of herself to him or to their children--so her heart is divided throughout the novel between her magic and her love for them. It's a story about the choices we make in life and the balance we have to strike between sacrificing our own needs for the person we love and being true to ourselves and what makes us whole as a person. As I said to Sasha above, the ending makes me cry so much!! It's a happy ending, but it's so poignant and makes you realize the power of love :). Ok, enough mushy stuff LOL. "A Free Man Of Color" is about a free black man in pre-Civil War New Orleans who solves a murder during Mardi Gras. Though it's not a book about racial issues, it does a great job of showing life in those times and getting into the head of someone who was on the "outside" of accepted society... Both of these novels show her strengths, which is being able to capture an atmosphere and make it come alive for you, and give you characters that live and breathe and make you ache for them... Good stuff :)

TRACE: I forgot to tell you--DON'T YOU DARE post your writing under a different alias!! Be proud, sister :)! I'm sure you are great at it, so don't hold yourself back and don't be ashamed of what you've accomplished :). I've written some pretty &%^&$y stuff, so I know the first instinct is to crawl into a hole and hide and hope that people don't throw too many tomatoes at ya LOL, but the more you do it, the more confident you get! And don't ever forget how much fun it is--and it is :)

12. Thran

Thran Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2000
    TOSHI AND MCGREGOR ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just where the hell is Vader? =| I can't keep sticking up for ya man, get back here!

Oh well, guess you always lose something in the move. HEY YOU GUYS!! I might sound over excited, by I am running on 3 hours of sleep after slaving over web sites, Cobol programming, and other such fun work. So IF I am more insane than normal, let me know =).

Now, I've got a poll just saved for the reunion.....the awards of course!
    It will be done by e-mail (so it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings, see I think ahead =) )
    E-mail the questions to me (yes you know the address) and I'll tally em up!
    1) Who is the funniest starbuckian?
    2) Who is the most improved in the ways of the starbuckian?
    3) Who is the "wierdest?"
    4) Who is the most talkative? =)
    5) Who is the wisest?
    6) Who has posted the most?
    7) Who is the most dedicated SW fan here?
    8) Who is the "coolest" starbuckian? (yes we're all cool, but who is the coolest?)
    9) Who is the "most likely to stick with starbucks after everyone else has gone?"
    and finally 10) Who is the "best, most favorite, most liked, loved, ect...you get the point" starbuckian of them all?

Well mail those to me and I will tally them up and only post the winners. No one will get who voted for whom, all secret =). So get them in!

That's all from the pen...err key of Thran....GAT....whatever....OUT!
    ""LKSDMNFONOIWENO:WFNOEINFOWNF," said the half-way mutated monster to the doctor!"

13. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    ME to all of them!!

14. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Hey speaking of the missing, anyone heard from Obi Have?

15. Toshi Station

May 5, 1999
    Glad to see most everyone has ventured back for the reunion.
    Glad to see all the "oldbies" and hello to any new here who didn't partake in the original Starbucks thread.
    =D

Does everyone else miss the smilies?

16. Padmewan McGregor

Jul 12, 1999
    Lego's & Star Wars... I used to have tons of Lego's (those of you who are true Lego fans know that in the old days, they insisted that they be refered to as "Lego bricks" or "Lego sets" but NOT "Lego's" - Danish marketing?), including the so-called "Expert sets" (since renamed "Technics" and maybe renamed again). My favorite vehicle was the AT-AT Walker, and my greatest moment of Lego triumph was building an AT-AT with movable legs, head, and laser turrets.

(IMHO, Lego since sold out by dumbing their toys down -- though I haven't played with MindStorm, which I understand is quite challenging and fun)

17. Sasha Sawyer

Sasha Sawyer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 1999
    Move along, move along....I'm just trying to decloak some invisible posts....

18. Sasha Sawyer

Sasha Sawyer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 1999
    Hey, EVERYONE, I see you all have totally ignored my crucial and Very Important Pancake Question! òó Hmmm....I get no respect. Actually, I'm racking my brains for sustainable cocktail party conversation, -- help out a little, wouldja? I'm going to have to unleash the Luke gushing if this keeps up.........don't make me do it...you know I will.... ? (I'm trying out new smilie faces since the usual kind tend to just merge into the writing and look like punctuation errors -- Have I mentioned how much I HATE the new system??!)

Well, HAAV, was sending me a message from Russia to post here in his name, but it hasn't arrived yet. The lag with mail is incredible, -- three weeks at the shortest. He's also sending some of these chocolate hollow eggs they sell that have Star Wars toys inside of them, but they haven't shown up, either. Things like that have a way of not making it. He sent a few coins once, -- they added up to like fifteen cents (bus fare), -- but someone slit the envelope and nabbed them. It's a pretty poor and desperate country right now. :-( Makes me sad. If his message to you guys doesn't arrive soon, I'll just type in some selected comments from his other lettres. It won't have the same zing (especially since I don't know how to "mac" ;~)) but then we'll at least have heard his voice.

MCGREGOR, TOSHI STATION, MISTRESS, QG TIM, -- You made it!!! Ü Welcome, welcome!

MCGREGOR: Hey, posting from Chicago was above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks, it's really good to read you here again. Erudite, as usual. Ya class up the joint! ü

A fellow Pink Peppermint enthusiast! That's another one of my favourite flavours, -- anything Rum, and Coconut Fudge, fills out my list. I tend to be a purist about the peppermint, though. There was a little shop that used to make their ice cream right there, and let you watch through the glass. They made the absolutely best peppermint ice cream in the world, hands down. It's just not the same since they went out of business. The kind you buy in cartons at the grocers have chunks of those red and green striped peppermint candies in them, at that's just overdoing it, if you ask me. Too overpowering. And green. :^(

My favourite part of legoes (let's see how many different spellings of that we can introduce in this thread...) was the little green trees and the little windows that could really open and close. (I was a Frank Lloyd Wright wannabe) I also thought Capcella was cool, -- ever have those?

Ok, your Hype of TPM question..... To be honest, the film never was a totally satisfying experience for me, -- yet I saw it at least fourteen times in the theatre, lol! As I look back I realize how much I was willing to overlook its faults simply because I was sooooooo happy to have the Star Wars Experience back. I loved TPM because it was family, and because it allowed me to relive my original love for the entire Star Wars Saga and Message. I still love and embrace it for exactly those same reasons, and I continue to wear my Star Wars fandom like a badge of honour, even though it does shoot my credibility in the film world down a few notches.

I wish the film had begun better. Beginnings of any story are supposed to grab you and pull you in, -- something I thought the Star Wars episodes had always done exceedingly well, until TPM. I missed having that usual breathtaking Star Wars Universe shot followed by a jolting "don't dare miss a minute of it" opening. And I know that dialogue with George Lucas is always a thin point, but in TPM, that is especially so. Not only is the conversation too often plodding exposition, it also lacks the "genuine" flavour of the past episodes. (or rather, future episodes, to be totally precise) In the other episodes, you always knew the writing wasn't Shakespeare, but it was at least sincere, by gum! It always bordered on camp, but honest camp, ya know? And not only did TPM not have that, it also recycled most the good lines and gags, which I thought was simply sloppy, lazy writing.

Anywa

19. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    SASHA: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your pancake question, but I got swept up in the "Homefront" topic of conversation and it's hard to get me off track from that ;-).

Wooweee, you liked J&G too, huh? Hmm, check out my handiwork then: http://www.geocities.com/riverrun45. Pardon the plug, but I just wanted to share something that I had loads of fun creating! Judy (the Veronica Lake lookalike barmaid) was not one of my favorites, but I suppose that was because I could never quite get over her penchant for going after all the engaged/married men on the show LOL. Plus, she was really nasty to Ginger in the first season, and anyone who was going to be nasty to Ginger was going to end up on my *&^ list *heehee*. She did get nicer in the second season, and I tolerated her a little more, but something about the way she spoke annoyed me *shrug*.

Yes the whole "Lemo Tomato Juice Girl" storyline was a riot (isn't it sad that I know that jingle by heart?). In fact, one of my all-time favorite episodes is when Ginger's desperately trying to resign so she can marry Jeff (after being told by Mr. Lemo himself that the Lemo Girl is a "ripe peach" and hence can not be married), but she keeps getting thwarted because she keeps wondering what may happen if she just keeps doing it a bit longer...

I did watch EE faithfully in its first season--I was still going through Homefront/Jeff withdrawal, and was just so happy to see Kyle Chandler back on the small screen. I also watched it because it reminded me of "Quantum Leap" and its premise. But alas, the show just didn't quite have that "something" so I eventually slacked off in watching it. There were occasional gems throughout the seasons though--one that springs to mind was in the first season, "The Choice," about Gary having to choose between saving a little girl with a head injury or keeping a plane from crashing. Another one is "Time" which ran this past season and SHOULD have been its series finale (certainly more appropriate than what ended up being the series finale) and it was about Gary finding out why he was getting the paper, and that he had almost died when he was 11, if it hadn't been for the previous owner of the paper saving him, thus setting this whole thing up for him in the future. That was a moving episode...

And the "Man of La Mancha" episode of QL was one of my favorites too! Although My all-time favorites are still "The Leap Home" (when Sam leaps into himself) and "The Leap Back" (when Sam sees his wife again, but must go back to save Al).

See, get me talking about these shows and you get me all teary-eyed and TALKATIVE!! ;-)

And um, I wouldn't mind a bit of Luke gushing myself... (there's my SW bit, so I'm not COMPLETELY off topic)

20. Jedi Eowyn

Jul 28, 1999
    I've heard of people getting just desert sand in their film strips from TPM. I got a picture of Shmi framed by the housing before Anakin turns back that one time. It's one of the moments in the movie when I thought, wow, pretty!

A year later, I am in the air about the film still. There are parts I like. Parts of that film were visually breath taking. Like Sasha, I think Amidala is amazing. The more I watch, the more I think she's PERFECT. So too, Shmi -- I LOVE Shmi. There are elements of the film that I'm glad I saw and love. But at the same time, I tend to fast forward through extended Jar Jar moments.

The midichlorians don't bother me, but that's becauase if they are real, they are biologically interesting. Who inserted that into multiple races and why?

Though I didn't & don't feel the magic when looking at Yoda in TPM (as I did in ESB & RotJ), I do see this as stage in Yoda's life. And it makes the ESB & RotJ stages more interesting.

I wish they'd done something really impossible to understand at the end of TPM. Like kill Yoda. (the new one will be clone or survivor? Who killed Yoda? Is Yoda in hiding now?) Sure, it's just shock value I'm asking for -- but some cheesy shock value would be nice. A cliff hanger of some sort or another. Palpatine's mere existence isn't enough for me.

As for bad films, I actually subjected myself to the last fourty five minutes of "Volcano" and nearly died. I was stunned at how bad it was. Are those other films worse than "Volcano"?

And color coding: I had thought the imperial guard of RotJ wore red just as an aggressive color. Now I wonder if the Emp is somehow playing a game with Vader, reminding him of Amidala (_the_ woman in red).

And as long as the powers that be at snow board don't make me TYPE the post in under fifteen minutes, I'll be able to get along. :)

21. Toshi Station

May 5, 1999
    I have to give you credit, Sasha, you have one heck of a memory.
    Anyway, I quit the high school softball gig to start my own business and I also became a firefighter this past January- so I'm still busy.

22. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Substantial? You want substantial? Ok....sorry, I've been REALLY distracted with something these last couple of weeks. Lemme see what I can do for ya. Check back later tonight.

23. Padmewan McGregor

Jul 12, 1999
    Wormie, you have a knack for escaping Sasha's clutches... :)

I've gushed about this plenty, but let me gush some more: I agree that TPM's visuals were stunning, and for proof of that I point to the "tone poem" commercials... strip away the dialogue, the plot, the music, and overlay what are actually pretty good words, and you get this incredible visual montage.

Do any of you remember what I'm talking about?

Qui-Gon: "It will be a hard life - one without reward, without remorse, without regret. A path shall be placed before you. The choice is yours alone. Do what cannot be done. It will be a hard life. But you will find out... who you are."

(Yes I have them memorized)

That one had a snippet of the OW-DM duel (from which, BTW, it was easy to guess that QG dies) with this beautiful swelling music playing, and it really looks like the two are dancing together. Choreography, in the original sense.

Shmi's "Don't look back before you go" was (I somehow recall posting this before, maybe a year ago) in the words of a friend of mine, "heartbreaking." So much so that the actual moment in the movie seemed trite by comparison.

"Don't look back / Before you go / Before you leave / Me" (Force theme crescendoing).

And of course, everyone loved the Darth Maul commercial.

The two "leftover" commercials were nothing more than commercials - Obi-Wan, and Jar-Jar, targeted (I'm guessing) to teenage girls and little kids, respectively. In fact, the saccharineness of the latter boded ill for Jar-Jar the character...

What are you guys talking about with the film snips? Do you get actual celluloid of the film when you get the TPM video? (Sorry, I'm really out of it right now).

Sasha, thanks for trying to tickle my Natalie thing. Did I tell you I finally saw her, back in late April, in Harvard Square? She was coming out of Au Bon Pan, where I was meeting with someone for coffee, and walked by us, stopping by the flower stand before heading back (I guess) to Harvard Yard. She looked like... Natalie. *sigh*

24. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Ok! I'm ready to go! Sasha wanted substantial. Well, substantial is what she's gonna get! For those of you who were breathing a sigh of relief that Wormie, the Queen of Sarcasm had thus far been relatively absent, don't worry, I won't burst your bubble. For some goofy reason, I've been in a particularly good mood lately, and I'm beginning to fear an illness. I'd take my temp, but we just got a new puppy and my nephew played doctor with him, using my thermometer! I'm now in the market for a new one.

Anyway, thought I'd start with the page 1 poll;

I would be Leia and would pick the day she finds out Luke is her brother and Vader her father. I can't imagine a more emotional day. Not only does she find out she has family, but that a member of that family is her best friend. It's also the day a years long dream comes true. A not so perfect day, but one that isn't easily topped, I'd imagine.

Chariots of Fire.......Ugh! Ick! Yuck! Could that have been more boring!?!? Or longer?!?! I was up and down, up and down, up and down, at least two dozen times during that film. I could not stand it!

Trench Run. Cool space ship, fast speeds, danger every which way....how much more exciting can it get?!?!

Most of my friends and family would say the answer to this question is Star Wars, but considering the company I'm currently in, I'll say standing outside in the middle of a thunderstorm, occassionally dancing in the puddles. I just love watching the power of nature during those storms. I have to join!

God! Do you know how long it's been since I had one?!?! Chocolate chip and mint chocolate chip.

I usually use body sprays over perfumes. I'm horribly allergic to 99.9% of the perfumes on the market, so I'm really selective. I mostly like fruity smells.

I'm spending an increasing amount of time on the computer. But interestingly enough, less and less on Star Wars sites. I'm still a voracious reader, currently tackling LotR. Between working two jobs and staying up late worrying about life, I still manage to go swing dancing and bug my friends on the telephone at 3 in the morning.

And Django211's addendum;

8. What have you been up to?

Pretty much the same as always.

9. What do you do?

A writer.

10. Do you recognize anyone here?

Of course! I recognize everyone!

Oh, and can I just say that now I remember why posting in the original Starbucks was a daily essential! Because if you didn't stay caught up, it could be an all day thing trying to reply to a couple of days comments!

And on that note;

Sasha, let me be the first to tackle your pancake question. Buttermilk with maple syrup, and you're right about just having an ice cream sundae instead! The taste is not worth the guilt I'd feel for starting off the day with that many empty calories!

Catsup on scrambled eggs? Ohhhh, Ick! No, I can't say that I do that. I do, however, put it on maccaroni and cheese. Another weird food combo; cottage cheese and miracle whip...Yummy!

My movie munchie of choice; chocolate covered raisins. A theater is the only place I ever get them so it's what I usually order. Kind of a tradition.

I sleep with 4 pillows and on nights where the bugs won't eat me alive or I won't freeze to death, I sleep with the window open! I like to turn my bed into a nest. I know, I'm weird. But I just curl up in the middle, burying myself under blankets, comforters and pillows and sleep like the dea

25. Jedi Eowyn

Jul 28, 1999
    Hiya, again. :)

Light bright, Barbie, Sunshine Family (plus camper), Dawn dolls, Monopoly, Life, Go for Broke: all games/toys I played with as a child.

Lego? Never happened. Hee hee -- it was fun the other night.

Padmewan -- about those commercials. I was REALLY trying not to get "spoiled" so I skipped them. I'm under the impression that they are downloadable from somewhere, and eventually I will see them.

The film strip: the "wide screen" video came with four or five cells of TPM film (and you can even see the sound info on the side). I found it darn cool. But it was from the _whole_ film, so there were some crummy clips & some great ones. I'm very happy. I know over in TPM forum one guy had nearly the same clip as mine, and he was not happy -- talked about how awful it was to get such a meaningless character as Shmi.

Meaning? It's a visually GORGEOUS moment in the film (Shmi in front of the Tatooine homes), it's a meaninful moment in the film (before Anakin turns back) & I like Shmi.

It would be great fun if he did the same for ANH. Somehow, owning a few cells of that would be completely great.

(I wasn't expecting to like the film cells so much, but they're fun.)

Thrawn: I can't fill out the survey. I know everyone, but I can't make up my mind as to who belongs where. :(

I want the BOLD feature back!!!!!!!!!

The other small SW thing I would want is a James Earl Jones walk on in ep 2 or 3. Not a speaking part -- just have him on screen somehow, somewhere, an homage of sorts to the MAN WITH THE GREAT VOICE!!!!!!! That voice makes Vader in so many ways -- the classic trilogy isn't just visual, it's also auditory. (Which is why Jar Jar is also painful to me -- I hate _hearing_ him, too.) A Jones walk on could be used to highlight something (like a scene leading to "the fall") -- like a color cue! :) (This was going to loop around into fitting in somehow!)

Be well and see you soon! It's great to see you all! Now where is Obi Have????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.