The Star Wars Starbucks Reunion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sasha Sawyer, Jul 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Toshi Station Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey everyone!

Anyone notice that the load time for the boards is slowing down already? Right back to square one.
  2. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Childhood toys:

Besides SW figures & Lego, I also had like Eowyn, Lite-Brite (I used to recycle the punch-paper because it was so wasteful), like Sasha Capsella (but I only had one set), and believe it or not, Strawberry Shortcake. In fourth grade everyone, girls AND boys, had at least one, and often several, Cabbage Patch Kids.

Also, computer games, but my parents wouldn't let me buy any, so I taught myself Applesoft Basic so I could write my own. (They weren't very fun - I knew how to beat them).

Any of remember (or still see around) the original Star Wars arcade game?
  3. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    Hee hee, I reused the paper in the light bright, too. We used to use the light bright as the "monitor" in our "space craft" as we played a combination of Star Wars/Star Trek/Space 1999 when we were kids.

4. Obi Have Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey all! I?ve finally made it! Sorry for the lateness, but, I was hoping to be the absolutely last one to post so that I could make a grand entrance. But, I think I?m going to have to concede that honor to Vader.

Anyone, I don?t have much time, so I?ll post more substantially later. While I?m here, though, I wanted quickly to throw my own deep, thought-provoking question for you all to chew on. This question came to me while surfing the t.v. the other day. A commercial for a Simpsons episode came on, and it showed Homer trying to explain the "birds and the bees" to Bart. In that scene, Homer uses a creative analogy to explain to Bart what a woman is; he informs Bart that "a woman is like...a REFRIGERATOR!"

As soon as I heard that line, I just lost it; I couldn?t stop laughing. I have absolutely no clue what Homer meant when he said what he said, but for some reason, it just seems sooo right! You know? So my question to you all is, what did Homer mean when he said a woman is like a refrigerator??? Or, more importantly, what do You all think it means? And if a woman is like a refrigerator, then what is a guy like? A toaster oven?

Talk to you all soon! Oh, and favorite toys as a kid: Lincoln logs and hot wheels racers. And lightsabers.

Signature:

"What lies behind us and lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
  5. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Have!!!! Oh boy, have I missed you! What's up!?!? Your summer been ok? We thought you were never gonna show!

Ok, ok....I can answer your deep Homer question quickly right now and then come back and address it in more detail later. A woman is like a fridge because she nicely stores things and keeps them safe, while a man is like a deep freezer! No insult intended, I'll explain later.

Great to see ya!
  6. Sasha Sawyer Jedi Knight

star 2
    HAVE!!!! Ya made it! But you don't fool me, - -- you really just got lost and didn't want to stop and ask for directions, huh? Ü

Ok, I'll bite with the Women are Like Refrigerators thing.......women are like refrigerators because you're never positive if the light stays on once you leave. And men are like blenders, -- you need one, but you're not quite sure why...?

My personal favourite Simpson's quote, was just a silly offhand remark Homer made that caught me by surprise and made me laugh out loud, -- I find myself repeating this line whenever it's suited to the occasion, but only a handful of people ever know what I'm talking about. (Well, they usually don't anyway, even when I'm not quoting Homer... ü) It was Go To Work With A Parent Day, (one of my favourite episodes), and Lisa was spending the day with Homer at the plant and they were having a great time, twirling around and around in the desk chairs and eating all their meals from the vending machines. Lisa looked down at what she was eating... I think it was grape soda, or something,... and mentioned how unnutritious this all was, -- they didn't even have anything from the fruit and vegetable group, and Homer informed her that "Purple's a fruit". Ü I don't know why I thought that was so funny, but I did. I also loved when Bart had to spend the day with the Flander's kids. He got them all tanked up on sugar and they turned into high wired, over strung maniacs. When he was handing one their first piece of candy, they said "Oh no, we're not allowed to have sugar" and Bart, innocent-as-the-devil replies, "There's no sugar in Pixie Stix,..... everyone knows that!" Ha! Ok, ok, you shouldn't have gotten me started....well .......just one more.....a Homer quote.... "Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead!" Ü

And I liked Lincoln Logs, too. I liked those little chimmneys you could put on the roofs. And not only were they fun on their own, but the container they came in made GREAT drum sounds!

EVERYONE, you know, my What kind of pancake do you like? questions are kind of lame, but I've been thinking and realizing I really DO want to know some of that stuff. Do you remember when we had that involved Are Internet relationships "real" conversation? I don't know if I have an answer for that, but I've noticed that as I get involved on a thread with people, a community, it reminds me of reading a book. With each posting, bits of people's lives and personalities become revealed, their story unfolds bit by bit. And, like a book, if you like them, you want to know more. You want the characters fleshed out. But not all at once, not just an information dump, -- you want it piece by tantalizing piece. And what makes it better than a book, is that it's real people, the story is dynamic and unpredictable. In a way, people are the first true interactive book. Ü

So I like that when I'm at the mall I can go get a sample of Tommy Girl and think to myself, so this is what CALLIE wears... and that when I walk out to my car and see the little "Carsmart Auto Centre -- Lawrence, Kansas" writing on the back, it always flashes through my mind, " I wonder if WORMIE lives near there?" On my start up page in Yahoo, I have it programmed to show the weather and the headline news from the cities of people I write. (that's a convoluted sentence, isn't it? Maze work) I like looking at it and seeing, Oh, it's a heat wave in Boston, it's thunderstorming in Shanghai, the SFO is expecting delays. Every little thing like that makes the Internet people I interact with three dimensional, not just text. I love that. For not being real, you guys sure cross my mind a heck of a lot. Ü

So.... I DO want to know some of this trivial stuff, -- especially what you munch on at the movies, since we have a movie connection, anyway. Not only that, but all my life I've eaten Junior Mints at the theatre, and now they've quit carrying them. What's up with that? They're messing with years of tradition. I feel naked and adrif
  7. Jedi Callie Jedi Master

star 2
    SASHA: I prefer the thin pancakes myself, the kind that lean a little bit towards the "crispy" side (not floppy and delicate like crepes). I love to eat them fresh off the griddle and watch the butter melt (I don't usually eat butter, but this is one thing I will eat butter on) and then watch the syrup drizzle down the sides...

Ah... Gives me a hankerin' for some right now!!
  8. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Lawrence, KS is 30 minutes away from me. It's where I went to college. Not a bad town if you're into avacado shakes, berkenstocks, and cows.
  9. Jedi Callie Jedi Master

star 2
    Hmm, here's another thing I will reveal about myself that hopefully will help "flesh me out" (no pun intended) a little more LOL... I am in the process of going vegetarian...

I've been trying like heck for years to do it, because I really like the health aspects of it. However (and I hope I don't offend any animal lovers here), I love the taste of meat, and it's been my downfall LOL. I've tried it cold turkey (no pun intended) and that didn't work, so my new approach is to phase out meat slowly... Right now I'm at the stage where I'm not eating red meat--just chicken and seafood. In a few weeks, I'm going to phase poultry out of my diet as well, and then after that, I will phase out seafood. I am going to keep dairy and eggs (so I'll only be a lacto-ovo, not a vegan--vegan would be just about impossible for me).

I'm actually meeting with a registered dietician to get some guidelines about going vegetarian :). I'm going to my first appointment tonight, so I hope it'll be helpful...

Totally non-Star Wars topic, but I thought I would share :)

And HAVE: it is so great to see you again!! Only you could take a Simpsons quote and turn it into an existensial discussion :)

WORMIE: avocado shakes?? Did you just mention avocado shakes??? Yum!!!!! :) (see my post on the previous page LOL)
  10. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    HAVE!!!

Never thought I'd see you again, buddy! How's the summer vacation? (You're still a teacher, no?)

Curse you Sasha for bringing me back to TFN! I spent so much time today cruising the boards... Did you know that everyone on the TPM board is still debating the EXACT same thing a year later? (Far less eruditely than we, I'd assert ;) )

Hey, were the terms "basher" and "gusher" local to TFN, or do other fan sites use them too?

And isn't it cool/weird that all of us gave the word "Starbucks" so much meaning? Wormie, is it true that there are now Starbucks outpost on other web sites?
  11. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    It's so nice to read you all! :)

Toshi - Fire fighter? YAY! YAY for firefighters! Most of you would know we had a small fire May 30th. The kitchen is black. 3AMish and 4 companies of volunteer fireman there in about 20 minutes. The first 15 (while the fire chief was coming out) were the longest in my life. The street was PACKED and every driveway had 3/4 firefighter cars in it as they drove to the fire. Within two hours they were gone, but YAY for firemen. YAYAYAYAY!

Sasha - pancakes? I had pancakes & I don't know what brand, but SOMEDAY I'll find them again. They were whole wheat & WONDERFUL. The other tasty pancakes aer those cooked with bacon grease & not butter. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (and certainly not olive oil!) (Sorry Callie!)

Have - women are like refridgerators? Aaaaa! (that WAS the expected response, no?) When my friend did a summer in Columbia student housing thing she got into a suite with 4 other people she didn't know and barely ever met. I once went over, and the refridgerator was terrifying! God knows what was IN it, but the ice inside had pushed open the door and the fridge was completely frozen, nothing but ice visible inside, and completely frozen in place. RUN AWAY! I asked my friend then what she was going to do about it. Do? I don't use the kitchen, she responded. The perils of group living!

Movie Snacks? - Raisenettes all the way! I don't do them _every_ time, but when I'm munching, it's chocolate covered raisens. :)

Sasha - Say hi to Haav from us too?

Callie - I had thought Early Edition sounded like a good premise, but I never felt "yippee" in an episode. It didn't help that the main character reminded me of someone I _don't_ like in real life. hee hee. The "I know what's better for you - I'm going to make it right" kind of connection. Maybe if I watched more I would have had fun, and did they explain the cat?, but I wandered off.

Wormie - I don't like the thunderstorms, but I do like watching the trees blow as the storm comes in - way up high where there's more wind than down where I am. There's something so odd about knowing it's coming, seeing the winds are up there, but not down here yet, and then they arrive down here. And then it's time for me to get inside. **brrrrr**

& LotR??? Where are you in the books? GREAT books! (Though I'm not a fan of reading every scratch Tolkein made with his pen, I do think that LotR is WONDERFUL & that The Hobbit is ok & made by a great artist, and that Silmarillion has its moments.) LotR! LotR!

& Dark Shadows??? As a kid I used to get the old TV with the rabbit ears and do my best to tune out the snow & manage to see Dark Shadows out of the Long Island public TV station. Hee hee. There was something appealing about characters who NEVER die, NEVER go away, etc etc etc. Kill one here, and SOON SOON SOON we'll get that character back, somehow! hee hee. But that's not what you are talking about, is it?

Padmewan -- oops, responded to this question of yours on a thread over in TPM. Well, things there being what they are, who will notice? The same questions circle in that forum and the communal desire to do differently doesn't seem to exist right now. As I mentioned over there, I think TPM is both 1) ambiguous and 2) perhaps a different perspective on the SW myth from the classic trilogy. And the result is alot of tension & hostility from fans which they took out on each other. If I'm right (big if) then it's going to get a bit worse with each new movie. What the new dimensions GL is bringing to the SW myth is the question I gnaw over when I'm trying to understand both TPM & what happened here. I don't have a good answer yet, but eventually!

Let me ask a question -- A year later -- Do we all wish TPM had not been made? That's what it boils down to for me, and I'm glad it was made & I'm glad to have seen it as for me it fleshes out SW in interesting ways.

I think it's sweet that the starbuck's thing caught on so thoroughly. I thought it was fun to see people disagreeing on one th
  12. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    ???? We're doing invisble posts again? Wasn't that supposed to end with snowball?
  13. Obi Have Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey there, Eowyn, Wormie, Sasha, Callie, Padmewan! Great to "see" you all again! And hey to everyone else, too!

EOWYN, to quickly answer your question about whether TPM should have been made, I say yes, for several reasons. For one thing, we all wouldn't have met if TPM wasn't made! Secondly, I do think TPM adds new layers and more richness to the overall Star Wars saga, and I'm really excited to see how everything will unfold in episodes II and III. I'll try and elaborate later. Oh, and I'm so sorry to hear about the fire in your home. I can't even imagine going through something like that. Hope the rebuilding process is going well for you.

Padmewan, Wormie: I'm doing alright...let's just say my life's in transition at the moment!

Sasha, Callie: I loved Quantum Leap! We used to watch it all the time in college. We used to say that we were "taking the quantum leap" whenever we sat down to watch the show. One of my favorites is the "Triple Leap" three-part episode. I liked the Halloween episode, too.

14. Jedi Callie Jedi Master

star 2
    EOWYN: my sympathies, girl--I had no idea about the fire at your house :-(. About four months ago, our house was robbed, so I have some idea of what it must be like to lose stuff...

I can also imagine what a pain it must be to put everything in order! On a lighter note, I was feeling quite industrious two weekends ago and re-arranged my closet--well, sort of. I didn't have a lot of time, so I focused on the bottom half of my closet (so now I can actually see the floor, woohoo!), but my next mission is to re-arrange my shelves, then after that, my actual room. I've literally got books everywhere in my closet and in my room. I look like a library, for crying out loud. Most disturbing ;-). I really must find a better place for my books otehr than the floor and my bed LOL.

And about "Early Edition"--I agree with you. It had promise, but it never really seemed to fulfil it. To be perfectly honest, the only reason I would tune in from time to time was because I was completely in love with Kyle Chandler ;-). But as I said, apart from a few really good shows that stood out, for the most part, it wasn't one of my all-time favorite shows by far...

HAVE: you make a swell point (sorry--ever since the "Homefront" revival I've suddenly found myself using old-fashioned slang like "swell" and "holy toledo" and "oh my word") about us all never having met if there hadn't been a TPM. A few weeks ago, I was taking a novel writing class at a local university extension, and our instructor was a MAJOR SW fan like me--in fact, she kept referring to the various SW movies when giving examples on her lectures on plot and character and theme. Most delightful :). Anyhow, we were talking about TPM and the prequels and she said she in particular wished George could have just stopped at the OT and just left the saga at three films rather than six, because she felt it was probably unnecessary to delve into the backstory of Vader and it somehow took away from the mystique and the myth of SW. While I see her point somewhat, and to some extent even agree, I wouldn't go so far as to say the prequels are "unnecessary." I think they can add a lot of insight into the saga, because they illustrate the Jedi culture (which heretofore we had to just imagine, because we had never seen it with our own eyes), and what life was like "before the dark times." Also, I do think it's important to show why Anakin became Vader, although I suppose one could argue that the point of the saga was his redemption, not the whys of why he turned. But as you said, HAVE, knowing why he turned adds so much texture and richness to the whole story.

If there's one thing I'm sad about when it comes to the prequels getting made, it's that in a sense, it's taken the focus away from Luke's story. With the OT, it really seemed SW was Luke's story: his journey into manhood, from innocence to maturity, from naivite to understanding. Though in the end it was clear that this was Vader's story too, I thought it was still primarily Luke's story in the sense that his destiny in life was to redeem his father, so he was still the major catalyst of all the events of the story. I've been reading Chris Voegler's "The Writer's Journey: A Mythic Structure For Writers" and he lays out the "hero's journey" that Joseph Cambell developed and that George Lucas followed to a "t" when writing the OT. If you read the "hero's journey" it's obvious that the OT was Luke's story, though everything hinged on Vader's redemption. Ultimately, it was still about Luke learning to face the darkness of his father's legacy and the darkness he himself was capable of and overcoming them.

My point is, by making the prequels, there's little doubt now that George Lucas had intended the entire saga to be about Anakin all along, and though I understand that, I as a Luke fan (and I know Toshi would agree with me :)) am a little sad about that...

15. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Whew - sorry to hear about your homes, Eowyn & Callie. Fortunate to have never experienced such a thing - I'm glad it was just your kitchen, though.

For some backquestions I hadn't answered yet:

Sasha: I like pancakes with little crunchy things in them, I think they're nuts.

Havé: I have an answer to why a woman is like a refrigerator, but it's rather raunchy ;)

Callie, I agree with you totally about shifting the focus away from Luke... in fact I just posted somewhere else in this forum (I can't believe you've all gotten me back here... this is my downfall!) about how I liked the original 9-story arc better. It would have been a good balance between father and son, very classically epic, Luke spending 3 episodes to undo what took Anakin 3 episodes to build, and 3 episodes of overlap. ROTJ is what changed the focus, when Lucas gave up on Episodes VII-IX (and maybe I-III as well).

I don't think TPM shouldn't have been made, I'm just a bit disappointed with the results. I'm pretty much settled that it was all in all a pretty good story, but that Lucas never should have directed it - too much of it was far too subtle and convoluted for his touch. So, if Episode II is to be both a love story and much darker, and if Lucas's ego makes him direct again, I'm awaiting it with much trepidation - I'm afraid it was Kirshner's touch that made the other trilogy's dark / love story what it was.

Any of you see the preview shot on the official site? Ah, Natalie...

BTW Sasha, I see you've picked up on my "thread story" idea. Any chance of writing it?
  16. Jedi Callie Jedi Master

star 2
    PADMEWAN: I agree, I think TPM could have been much better had George not directed it (please don't hate me, oh great one!!). Much as I think the man is brilliant for coming up with the story, as you said, the story calls for a far more subtle touch (much, much more than ANH, with which his approach was a perfect fit). Personally, I think George just got so excited about his new-found freedom in what he could do with the technological advances in the last 20, 25 years that he went way overboard and didn't stop to think that hey, perhaps it was nicer the first time around when there was some restraint! Granted, he has ALWAYS said he wasn't happy with the OT because he didn't get to do a lot of what he wanted to do. But perhaps that was a good thing, because there wasn't so much of a sensory overload going on like there was with TPM (I don't know about the rest of you, but at times I felt thoroughly bombarded sensory-wise).

Frankly, I was surpised that George said he'd direct all three. I always figured he'd do the same thing he did originally: write and direct the first one and then co-write and have someone else direct the next two. I s'pose it's too late to hope that Kershner will direct Ep2, eh? ;-)

I haven't seen the preview on the official site--will go check it out :). I think I told you in an earlier post: Natalie has now cemented herself as my favorite actress (along with Ashley Judd :)). Please don't hesitate to bring her up in any conversation with me *hehe*.

And than you for your kind words :). The robbery was traumatic, but thankfully my family and I have been able to get past it. Certainly, getting a security alarm installed helped ally our fears tremendously. Sometimes I still find myself thinking about the one who's still out there (only 3 of the 4 people who broke in were caught--the one who's missing is the one with all the loot, so we've been told there's practically no hope for recovering anything). I'm just grateful no one was hurt and for the most part, the stuff that was taken can be replaced, except for my mother's jewelry. My poor mother had all her jewelry taken--things with so much sentimenal value like my parents' original wedding rings (this is their Silver Anniversary year and they had given each other anniversary bands, which is what they'd been wearing). What hurts is that we were robbed on a Thursday and that Saturday my parents were planning to put all of that stuff in a safety deposit box. They all had been in a safety deposit box, but our bank changed locations so we were going to transfer everything to the new branch. It so happens that the robbers beat us to the punch *sigh*.

As for me, all they took were two pairs of earrings, a camera that didn't work (I had been planning to replace it anyway), and my SW:SE tapes (wouldn't you know it). There was nothing to take from my room LOL, so I was very lucky, but I still feel bad for my mom...
  17. Jedi Callie Jedi Master

star 2
    Just found this quote by Rick McCallum on the official site (I went to check out the pic PADMEWAN was talking about):

"In that sequence, the whole story of the trilogy -- which ultimately is about Luke's journey -- is resolved."

McCallum was referring to the throne room sequence in ROTJ, and it confirms to me that originally, the story *was* centered around Luke and his journey into manhood and discovery of the Force. *sigh* I can live with the shift of focus to Vader, but just between you and me, I preferred it more when the focus was on Luke ;-)
  18. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    I hope I'm not in bad taste, Callie, but I have this image in my head of the robbers being Star Wars fans.

That's terrible about your parents' wedding rings, though. I'm glad you're safe though.

Eowyn and Have, I hope you don't mind that I was snooping, but I dug this little gem up:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=310775

Fascinating, absolutely fascinating. What do you think now? Are we *really* talking?

That discussion does remind me of the story idea I'd just mentioned to Sasha in the last post... Basically, I was thinking of writing a piece in which the format was a multi-dimensional threaded discussion within an open community. The "plot" would center around a core group (modeled after, well, all of you) and involve them finding each other through the noise and din of lots of people shouting at each other. The "climax" would be, well, that day on Starbucks when Have and Vader both showed up. (I guess this thread would be the afterwards).

The Padmewan figure would be a narrator of sorts. I guess the Sasha figure would be the protagonist, as the person who brings us all together.

"Reading" the story would be a little weird: by thread (as normal), chronologically regardless of thread, or by "character" regardless of thread.

I guess it would read somewhat like a play, but without any stage directions. In fact, without any physical people. Maybe like a radio script. No, it would read like the internet! LOL

Talk about "meta," huh? I'm now writing about the writing, even though what I'm writing is the inspiration for the writing...?
  19. Jedi Callie Jedi Master

star 2
    PADMEWAN: yeah, you're right, they probably were SW fans ;-). That, or they knew they'd be able to sell the tapes. Thank goodness they left my widescreen tapes of the ORIGINAL versions of the trilogy. The SE stuff you can still (sort of) replace, but the pre-SE versions are a bear to find.

Thanks for the link on that other thread. Sabe (the thread author) makes a good point about writing being different than talking, although I don't know that I would agree that this necessarily means we're different in person. Apart from the language we use (which for the most part is more formal than what we use in speech--that's just human nature), I do think that some of our personality inevitably comes out in our writing too. I think that's why people always refer to an author's "style" when talking about the books they write. There's definitely a voice that's there between the lines, between the words...
  20. Jedi Callie Jedi Master

star 2
    Anyone here on AOL, I urge you to vote on the "Who Rules The Galaxy" poll AOL is conducting. Star Trek is neck and neck with SW!!! 51% to 49%, now we can't let the Klingons win, can we??? Who's with me??
  21. Toshi Station Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just about everyone from the old thread has popped in. We missing anyone?

Mayber we'll be able to keep this one going for a while (at least until TFN decides to change the board and we lose all of it;D).
  22. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That mean you're thinking about sticking around, Toshi?
  23. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey everyone!

Qui Gon Tim -- I really had fun with the lego, and though the piecs are put away, I kept the figures out. hee hee. I have a wee little lego Luke! hee hee! So is it traditional to take the stuff apart before putting it away (so that it can be redone again another day) or to put it back in the box as is?

Jedi Trace -- fan ficts are good! A while back I thought of using a different name in fan fict. Over time I've come to the conclusion that there is no point -- post under your name and be happy! (have you already? link! link! link!)

Thanks for the "house sympathy" guys, and Callie! Ugh! What we lost is replaceable and nothing of big sentiment is gone. It's trying and horrid and all that, but it's not as bad as I feared it would be that morning when I was wondering how this was all going to proceed.

Callie, :(!!!!!!!! I'm also sensitive now to smoke detectors. I notice them wherever I go and am happy to see them.

Padmewan -- about *not talking*: Where I'm at right now is that the sense of what is talking and isn't talking has been altered by the internet, so now this *is* talking.

However, there are threads around here which are _stylized_ conversations (be it the insult threads in community, the academic journal entry threads like the Ivory Tower thread, the debate threds like the Evil Empire? thread).

The thing that seperates a Starbucker from others I think finally is that a Starbucker has mastered at least 2 forms of address on line -- a "chat" one (the starbuck posts) and some other (what is posted when not in a starbucks thread).

One of the plot twists in my little SW fan fict that isn't getting written right now was a missent computer message. How do words shape reality? What is mutable out there such that a mere stray sentence can change everything? (the title I was kicking around for that was "Spelled.")

And as to the question of being glad to see TPM or not. 1) w/o TPM I woudln't have met you all. 2) w/o TPM I wouldn't have remembered how much I loved old SW. 3) w/o TPM Vader's character is a bit wooden and stock. Why give him so much silent brooding? Because Vader is still chewing over the back story which we havn't fully seen yet.

Yes, Callie, I understand that this seems to shift the role of *star* from Luke to Vader, but I can live with some shifting. Up until TPM Vader was somewhat of a loose end -- how did someone so powerful become so corrupt and yet achieve Jedi ghost heaven redemption? What's in Vader to make things hinge on him? Luke turned Vader & Vader turns the universe. More info on Vader becomes interesting even if the focus is Luke and Luke alone. Who is this person Luke manages to touch?

Last but not least, "A New Hope." Whose new hope do you think? Hope for what? I hope they use the phrase somehow in Ep 3 in order to make it clear whose hope this is.
  24. jade51999 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well, i havn't really had a chance to read what everyone has written and probably won't until i get back to the states (i am on vacation in india right now) i just wanted to stop in and say hello)

so "hello"

mtfbwya

oh if anyof you are in paris..go to disney paris and ride star tours..it is really cool...small but cool...i got my pic taken i front of a giant x wing..

(i am easily pleased)

mtfbwya Priya aka jade51999 or aka jade + a whole bunch of numbers :)
  25. Sasha Sawyer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Good Morning All! I only have a few minutes before we leave for the Sound (low tide), so you'll all be spared from my usual lengthy ramblings. Ü Sorry I've been so sporadic the last few days, but tonight I should be able to post a couple of times, and tomorrow evening I shall live in front of the computer, -- I can't believe our get together is almost over! :( I've enjoyed this thoroughly, you guys are even more addictive a year later! Though I've noticed that HAVE is still able to avoid questionnaires like the plague, -- I think it took you three months to respond to our first one, does that mean that in October we'll all get an e-mail from ya with your answers? ü

Today, when we're going to the beach, it's windy and thunderstormy (which I love but everyone else isn't too thrilled) and yesterday when we were spending the whole day walking around China Town and Stanley Park (in Vancouver, BC) it was stifling hot and humid, -- isn't that always the way? I really loved going to China Town, but next time I'm going with someone who speaks chinese. It was so bustling, and exotic, a million different colours and textures and all I could do was let it sweep over me as I was pulled through the blocks by someone who believes that the way to sightsee is to see how fast you can get from one end of the town to the other. :( There was so much I missed and didn't understand. Every market stall had an assortment of fruits and nuts and vegetables that I didn't even recognize (they smelled good though, very rich and perfumy), I would have loved to have found out what they were and how they were used. I would have loved to have talked with someone, it was an amazing place, I could have stayed there all day. Next time I'm going with people who appreciate people, you know?

Anyway, I have about twenty fortunes collected from our fortune cookies from where we ate, so I've numbered them all and when you post, depending on what order you appear here, I'll tell you your fortune. Ü Cool, huh? It's like we're eating out together. Alright, not quite, but hey--- it's better than a magic eight ball. Ü

MCGREGOR, sorry for readdicting you! ü I only get addicted to you guys, not the other threads as much. I only really like this type of conversation, and it's very rare and difficult to maintain on the Internet.

Rats, gotta go, -- I want to talk more about this, -- see y'all tonite. Oh, I went and saw "What Lies Beneath", -- it was FUN! It was an old fashioned, scary movie, -- not quite Sixth Sense caliber, but I still jumped in quite a few places. I love that. Ü
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.