1. The Jedi Council Forum Rules have been revised.

View the revisions here, and see the Communications thread for more details.

The Star Wars Starbucks Reunion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sasha Sawyer, Jul 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasha Sawyer Force Ghost

star 2
    HAAV's letter never arrived, so let me fill you in a little on how he's doing. He lives in a Dome (Russian apartment building) and an old guy stands on the balcony every day and rants about Mussolini at the top of his lungs. Down the road there's a nifty park with all these scuptured shrubs, he says it's very "Edward Scissorhandy". There are stands on every corner where they sell anything you want, even Snickers bars. His favourite thing is the twenty different kinds of bread, each only fifteen cents a loaf. He has always liked cloudy weather and sea ports, so he loves the scenery there, though misses that he can't eat any seafood at all. Apparently it's all too polluted and unhealthy. He plays football with the kids in the neighbourhood whenever he can, he actually never liked football that much, but they love it and consider it the American thing to do. He teaches english twice a week, and donates his labour to an onion farm once a week. He said the only thing that scares him there is the thought of getting sick and having to go to a Russian hospital. He visited one of the better ones, and there were holes in the walls, dirty linen everywhere, vermin crawling through the floors, and he said he'd be nice and not tell me what it smelled like. :( He says that kids there like Star Wars, just like everywhere else in the world, -- The lightsabre sound is the universal language. Here's a few bits from his lettres:

"Life is good and it's getting better all the time. I'm amazed at how "settled" I feel. This has become home, -- I know where everything is, how to get around, where the good deals are. I hardly notice anymore that everyone speaks a different language, it just feels natural, but at the same time there are things that remind you you aren't in the states. One of those things would be the roaches." (I guess he's never lived in NYC)

"Carter's [from ER] is in drug rehab after all that fizz with his cousin? Man wake up! As for Scully's X-File pregnancy, -- nah, I doubt it's Cancer Man she's been seeing on the side. I'm betting on Frohike, you gotta watch those Lone Gunmen! ü "

"I ate caviar for the first time and saw a stuffed squirrel. Dang me, it's been a busy week. "

"Time for Guess That Quote: I think we should meet again. How's tomorrow for you?"
  2. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    <<looking for the invisible post>>
  3. Obi Have Jedi Knight

star 2
    I forgot...my Star Wars personalities came out as:

1) OT: Wicket!?!?!

2) Prequel: Anakin Skywalker

3) EU: Anakin Solo

Hmm...wonder what that says about me? That I'm 10 years old, three feet tall, furry, and that I am going to conquer the galaxy when I grow up?

I just want to add, that, I realize that the reunion is officially ending tonight. But, here's what I think about rules...rules are made to be broken. Just like a typical infP, I'm one of those types who comes to gatherings or parties late, and then stays until someone drags me out. The thing about real-life reunions is that people have to dis-unite because they have their regular lives and homes to get back to. On the internet, however, we're already home and living our regular lives! So, I don't care if none of you all post here after tonight, I still want to respond to lots of things you all have said, so, I'm going to be here, talking to myself, until I've said what I wanted to say!

In a bit of seriousness, I agree with TOSHI; I'd like to see this go for a little while longer, if people are up for it. (as an aside, the fact that so many of us have similar personality types is really interesting. And it makes sense that INT's and INF's are drawn to a cybersocialspace like the JCF, because, being text-based, it can be a good "venue" to discuss big, philosophical, "meta" inner-world questions, and also, of course, a good place to discuss pancakes, Homefront, and refrigerators).

Eowyn, I have been lurking around the forums here, and I agree with you, pickings are slim. (I do want to post in Padmewan's thread in the TPM forum, though). Which is why I've been occasionally only lurking instead of posting. And which is why it has been really good to read you all here and would be nice if we continued this reunion a little longer...this thread has been an intellectual, fun, and soulful oasis in the vast, flame-filled post-TPM/pre-Episode II cyberJCFdesert.

I'd understand if people want to keep this reunion strictly time-bound. But, echoing Padmewan, what does it really mean for a cyberspace reunion to end? The good thing (which also can be a bad thing) about a placeless social space is that we can still "BE" here without really having to "be" here in the physical sense. So, for those who are still up, what do you all think about keeping this going for a bit longer? We could extend this indefinitely until it "ends" naturally, or we could keep it going for another couple of days or a week. Thoughts?

Oh, am curious...did anyone catch The British Open today? I'm not really a golf fan, but the Tiger Woods phenomenon is fascinating...he won today in superhuman fashion. Indeed, the other golfers talk about him as if he's superhuman. I mention this, because after Tiger's victory today, one of the other golfers referred to him as "The Chosen One." Sounds like a TPM reference to me!
  4. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    It's pumpkin time for me. It was GRAND seeing you all. Whatever direction this we go in, I think at least yearly reunions are a GLORIOUS idea! Those of you still here tomorrow, see you then!

Have -- you never did do the Citizen Kane/Oz analysis. :(m Though I don't know where you're going, I would like to add "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" to the list. Despite the humorous connections possible, I think there's a significant duplicate moment between Charlie in the inventor's office and Vader & Luke in the presence of the Emperor.

When Charlie hands the everlasting gob stopper back to the inventor and the inventor *sees* his successor -- that's a Vader/Luke-ish moment. The danger has been set aside between these two and they can have the relationship possible between them. The inventor and his successor don't have to be enemies in an either/or equation. The inventor can cease his insane quest for a successor and Charlie can embrace his destiny for real.

Perhaps one of the elements in RotJ that I never got a handle on -- Luke could not move forward with destiny without some embrace of his father. Luke got as much from that moment as Anakin -- Anakin's redemption is Luke's freedom from Anakin's shadow. That is part of the seduction of taking Vader's hand in ESB. ((shorthand: the emperor is an everlasting gobstopper.))

Just thoughts for a late late late Sunday night.

Oh, and I'll still be here even after the reunion is "over." (Though not tonight!) :) But out of respect for those who need to have to go now, <<hugs & kisses all around!!>>

And best to Haav, Sasha! I've never been so far abroad, and it sounds like he's settled in fine. YAY!
  5. Sasha Sawyer Force Ghost

star 2
    HAVE, you crazy! You're a late bloomer, huh? But I'm glad, because my eyes are leaden, and if someone's going to be here tomorrow, then I'm going to bed and I'll see y'all then! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

I got bumped off the server and have been trying forever to get back on, here's what I wrote ages ago when it was still somewhat relevant:

Migosh, whose idea was it to have this end at midnight? I'm going to have to walk down
    the street and breathe in the arouma of all the espresso stands, I need a caffeine jolt if I'm
    going to keep my eyes open, this has been one long weekend.

MCGREGOR, you're not allowed to write such beautiful posts, it stops us all dead in our
    tracks. Ü Especially your Luminous Beings thought, that's lovely. I'd almost forgotten
    about that line. You reminded me of the original feel of Star Wars, you quoted that line and I felt like that bit in "American Beauty", (the Emperor's New Clothes of movies) when he shows the film clip of the dancing bag and says, "Sometimes there is so much beauty in the world I can't take it, I feel like my heart is going to cave in."

As for your testing, -- I could have seen the Architect coming, but not the Uncle Owen?!
    That's almost as glamourous as being Ric Ollie. ü If it helps any, I see you more as a
    young Obi Wan, kind of a combination of the Scientific Look Up the Midichlorian Count
    Obi Wan and the Don't Mess Obi Wan of the lightsabre duel.

HAVE, I have no idea where that original questionnaire is! The only questions I
    remember are the music you're listening to one, the favourite midnight munchy one, and
    the last best book one.

I haven't been listening to any music, though I keep getting pieces of songs stuck in my
    head. I've been singing Lenny Gravitz's "Fly Away" ("I just want to get away...) for ages now, (yes, it's Freudian) and lately I've had snatches of some Boy Band type song from the radio running a continous loop through my mind. Just this one section of the chorus over and over again, it has been extremely annoying. I finally asked a thirteen year oldish girl in the grocery line what it was, and she just knew some of the words.. "Whatever I did, whatever I said I didn't mean it, I just want you...." something, something? Anyone know it? It's driving me mad. That
    and "He's everything you want, he's everything you need..." Why do I have such unsophisticated addictions? I don't even like that kind of music, yet of course, that's what
    my mind latches on to. :(

I've gone full circle with the midnight snack thing, it's back to ice water (crunching all the ice) or blueberries.

Last best book ..... hmmm, I've read TONS of books this summer, but none have
    captivated me, or swept me away. I guess the most memorable reading has been "Ender's Shadow", "Martian Chronicles", and a portion of "Speaker for the Dead" that was written so well and true, I felt like OSC had crawled into my shape and form and had been me for a day. It was jaw dropping, like stumbling across a segment of your diary in a novel.

EOWYN: I love hearing that the Internet has been strengthening and positive for you.
    I'm so tired of hearing people refer to it as an evil and a canker to our soul. I've grown to
    feel so the opposite, and I, too, feel that there's a piece of myself, ( and it does feel like my
    *true* self) that has been given sunlight here, and grew strong enough to go out and show
    herself in the real world.

Some quick additional addendums: HAVE, Wickett??? ÜÜÜ That's the best one I've heard yet! And I don't know EU very well, -- isn't Anakin Solo the one who is a bit of a loner and very, very force gifted? If so, I always liked him, I thought he had a lot of potential for carrying the future Star Wars Saga. What more could you ask for? You get Luke's true-blue pure intentions and Han's charm and derring do. The best of both worlds (with NO WHINING). Ü

Ok, I'm collapsing, -- Good night, see ya tomorrow HAVE and CINDERELLA EOWYN, and anyone else who has become readdicted. Ü

6. Sasha Sawyer Force Ghost

star 2
    Sorry for the funky formatting above, I had to cut and paste a bunch of it back in when the server went down, and now it's all skewampus. It's also beyond my paltry brain skills to fix, so just look at it as sort of an avant garde, free form, chic new art form. I'm trend setting. Ü
  7. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Good morning! Nice of you guys to drop by...

Don't have time to post much - I'm putting myself on strict discipline as far as TFN forums are concerned. While I really love being with all of you, it kills so much of my day! So, now I've decided to limit my visits to specific hours of the day.

HAVE, I appreciate the sentiment about my threads, but keeping up a discussion on the TPM forum is massively DRAINING! It takes up both time AND energy to figure out how to keep a conversation going and to quash the flaming... really, it seems like such a waste of time -- I'd be better off as a middle school teacher (and more successful) than running a TPM thread.

Anyway, there is *some* intelligence floating around in there - a few people I've actually come to respect, a good number I've learned to ignore.

OK, I'll be back at my appointed hour. (TBD).
  8. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ohhhh....I'm probably too late, but I'll say it anyway....BYE!!!!! See ya'll later! Stop in on dead weekends if you want. I'll probably be here.
  9. Sasha Sawyer Force Ghost

star 2
    Good morning all! It's kinda fun that this is straggling on, in parties, all the best stuff happens in the last hour anyway. I remember one time when a bunch of us ended up sitting on the end of a dock, feet dangling in the water, drinking some odd South American soda that a guy had gotten hooked on while there and talking about our first movie loves and first people loves, and watching the sun rise over the water. It was one of those moments that stays a snapshot in your mind under the heading "A Perfect Time". The other best party memory I have was this elaborate set up a guy did back in high school that involved painting the eyes of this huge marble angel statue which stood in the centre of the cemetary a pale, phosphorescent green and then driving us through the shortcut that passed by her on the way home after a dance and "breaking down". He had a group of guys spaced all throughout the cemetary hiding behind grave stones, dressed like zombies. !!!! It was like "Thriller" come to life. Migosh, my ears are still echoing from all the screaming! (mine ü) It was marvelous, one of those perfectly timed, perfectly executed moments. It was such a success they tried to pull it off a few times afterwards with different girls, but it never went as well again. You need to have girls with finely tuned, rich imaginations to get that great a reaction, -- we almost made one of the guys a zombie for real, we were so scared. As it was, I think we broke a few fingers. Ü

I've been wondering, -- we've all been talking about getting addicted to the Internet, or the JCF, and I wanted to know What draws you to certain threads or places? I run searches on you guys occassionally to see where the "hot spots" are, since I'm too lazy to do my own perusing, and I don't see a clear pattern. (except for the irresistable draw of Luke, to certain members of the group ü)

My problem is I don't get addicted to subjects as much as to people. I think the people and their stories and their unpredictability are what make forums great. Every forum has a handful of people that are skilled at expressing themselves, and are thought provoking, engaging people, and I always just want to gather all those people together into a group, and then bring the stimulating topics there, to the group. One stop shopping. Because, otherwise, done the usual way, you have to wade through hundreds of one sentence, off hand replies for every thought provoking answer you stumble across. So when I visit intriguing threads, my impulse is to gather people, I note who has something to say and says it well, their voice sort of calls to me and I always think Well there's one for the group.... The bad thing about that is that then I feel like that guy in that Star Trek episode who went around the galaxy collecting unique and one of kinds (he wanted Data), -- I don't like feeling like that, and I also think there's a danger of forming a group I can't be included in! :(

Do you guys feel that way, or do you like searching through the forum trying to uncover buried treasure? Is the surprise of discovery half the appeal? Does it get boring to be in one place, always hearing the same voices? I do think it takes a broad base to work, -- 15 to 20 active participants, and I do notice that in this approach, sometimes the subject matter gets lost, or dropped and come back to periodically, -- when there's a lot of posts and a lot of competing subjects, it's difficult to stay on task, and we all have a different view of what "on task" is, anyway ü. Just kind of curious as to what tickles everyones fancy. (and MCGREGOR, what limits have you self imposed?)

Ok, enough pondering abstract stuff..... on to Natalie Portman. I wasn't talking about her just to seduce you into the conversation, MCGREGOR, Like CALLIE and WORMIE, I've become a strong admirer. I really liked "Where The Heart Is", but the movie that totally won me over to her abilities as an actress was "Anywhere But Here", -- the audition scene. That bit had to work on so many different levels. She had t
  10. Sasha Sawyer Force Ghost

star 2
    Oooohhhh.....ghost posts......
  11. Obi Have Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi all. I found the old Mark Hamill survey, so here it is, for your filling in pleasure:

1. The one person you'd like to meet...

2. Superpower you most want...

3. Favourite munchie at 2am...

4. Things you collect...

5. Favourite cartoons...

6. Person you would most want to work with...

7. Favourite musical performers...

8. Favourite TV show...

9. Last good movie you saw...

10. Last good book you read...

11. If you had the power of The Beyonder...

And WORMIE, I'm still waiting to hear why men are like deep freezers.
  12. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ahhh....Sorry about that, Have. Deep freezers.......

Actually, I was in the middle of a steamy conversation when I replied to your question, so I'm sure you can probably hazard a guess at where my mind was going.

HOWEVER, I've since been able to reduce my comment to a PG definition.

Men are like deep freezers because;

They keep their feelings and thoughts locked away, where not even frost bite can touch them. Getting anything out of a deep freezer or a male is like prying teeth out of a live shark's mouth. If you're lucky enough and the chisel you use doesn't puncture the package you're trying to retrieve, it takes FOREVER to thaw.

Ok, so that's the negative......here's the positive;

Nothing ever spoils in a deep freezer, and most men only get better with age. They're both convenient to have around, and go a long ways toward safety. That, and they're versatile. You can pile stuff on the deep freezer to keep it off the dirty garage floor, and a guy can carry just about anything!

Ok, so there's your answer. Hope it lived up to your expectations.
  13. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, HAVE, fancy you making demands on WORMIE when you haven't answered SASHA's question yet... what were your TPM (or was it SW in general) drive-by revelations?

OK, time for the inevitable questionaire. As an Architect, I hate doing these things, because I like to design my own world! But this morning I took the original version of the test, and it turns out I'm a Guardian/Inspector after all. Even though the description sounded nothing like me (except my clothing style, but only on off days).

Note that these answers need some context!

1. The one person you'd like to meet...
    A gullible venture capitalist

2. Superpower you most want...
    U.S.S.R.

3. Favourite munchie at 2am...
    I'm solid asleep

4. Things you collect...
    I said "dust" last time, didn't I? Also, I used to collect carnivorous plants.

5. Favourite cartoons...
    Arlo & Janis, http://www.explodingdog.com/ are the only two nowadays I appreciate. Classics: Calvin & Hobbes, Peanuts, Little Nemo in Slumberland

6. Person you would most want to work with...
    Right now I need a database programmer and a marketing executive

7. Favourite musical performers...
    Paul Simon

8. Favourite TV show...
    What's TV?

9. Last good movie you saw...
    TPM. Hah! The last movie I saw was ESB, last weekend. But I also saw Chicken Run that day. I'm a huge animation fan.

10. Last good book you read...
    "Animal Dreams" by Barbara Kingsolver

11. If you had the power of The Beyonder...
    Some things weren't meant to be told.

OK, here are some questions I have for all of you. Yes, they are all Star Wars related. So what?

1. If Vader wasn't there, would it have been OK for Luke to kill the Emperor?

1.a. WWYD? (What would Yoda do?)

2. If the answer is no, is it OK for Obi-Wan to kill Darth Maul? (Did he use the Dark Side?)

3. How feel you about Yoda's lightsaber (the fact the has one, according to the TPM Visual Dictionary). It's cute and all - but "Wars not make one great."

3.a. I mean, shouldn't Jedi have lots of non-martial powers, like the Mind Trick to the nth degree?

4. When Han was bragging about him and Leia in the South Passage, where "she expressed her true feelings," did Luke look
    - jealous
    - betrayed
    - nonchalant
    ?
    When my best friend from high school, who was never a SW fan and didn't accept everything as "that's the way it was meant to be," saw ESB he spent the entire movie pissed off that Han was stealing Leia from Luke.
  14. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, and one more -

Who's wronger, QGJ or the JC about Anakin? Are they both wrong about him?

Hell, while I'm at it, why I don't revive your old debate, Sasha - why does fear lead to anger?

Also, why am I still here? For the Jedi, it is time to sleep as well.
  15. Obi Have Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wormie, you actually exceeded my expectations! I sorta figured on the "negative" meaning of men as deep freezers, but, didn?t expect the positive one. And, hey, feel free to email me your "r-rated" version! That goes for you, too, Padmewan.

Anyway, here?s my take on Star Wars and Citizen Kane. Umm...this is probably not necessary, but I hate being spoiled "unwantedly," sooo...CITIZEN KANE SPOILERS AHEAD!!

First, here?s a brief synopsis of the film I found on a website: "Citizen Kane" is the thought-provoking, tragic story of a rags-to-riches child who was raised by a banker, became a millionaire newspaperman, idealistically made his reputation as the champion of the underprivileged, and then had an ill-advised affair with a singer, became corrupted by a lust for wealth, power and immortality, and then self-destructed. His final days were spent alone before his death in an ominous castle of his own making."

So that?s the story of Citizen Kane. In relation to Star Wars, I think the narrative structure of the SW films is similar to the narrative structure in Citizen Kane. In the SW saga, the ending (The OT) precedes the beginning (the Prequels). Similarly, in Citizen Kane, the movie begins with the "end." The movie starts with the death of Kane (Orson Welles), and the whole movie then revolves around a newspaper reporter trying to figure out the meaning of Kane?s dying last word: "Rosebud." The rest of the film then consists of non-chronological flashbacks tracing the life of Kane from childhood to adulthood to his eventual death. It?s only in the last shot of the film that we find out what "rosebud" refers to, and without giving away the ending, rosebud essentially signifies Kane?s lost childhood.

Similarly, in Star Wars, we start with the Original Trilogy and in ROTJ, we see the death and redemption of Vader. In terms of the overall story arc, Vader's death signifies the "end" of the SW saga. And in SW, just like in Citizen Kane, the "end" precedes the beginning. In both SW and Citizen Kane, we see the death of the main protagonist, then we work backwards to see what led up to that death.

Thus, in SW, the prequels act as the equivalent of the flashbacks in Citizen Kane, as we try to figure out what is Vader?s "rosebud"; i.e., what is the crucial event in Vader?s life that makes him turn to the dark side AND also gives him the power to eventually return to the light? Citizen Kane really can be viewed as a "mystery" movie, a movie focusing on figuring out the meaning of "Rosebud" and Kane?s tragic life. And similarly, I see the Star Wars saga as being a mythical-mystery, as we watch and try and figure out the clues to Vader?s "rosebud," the clues to Vader?s fall and redemption.

There are other similarities between Star Wars and Citizen Kane. For example, both Anakin and Kane go from being innocent, idealistic little boys who desire to help others, to monstrous, power-hungry, corrupted adults. Additionally, in Citizen Kane there?s a scene that is eerily similar to the Anakin-leaving-his-mother-scene in TPM. In Citizen Kane, Kane?s mother, a poor woman who runs a boarding house, unexpectedly inherits a fortune. The fortune gives her the opportunity give her son (who has no father, btw) a chance at making something of his life, so she sends away for a banker to take ten year old Kane away so that he can be "properly" raised and educated.

And of course, in TPM, the "banker" is Qui Gon, and Schmi, like Kane?s mother, pushes her son to leave her so that he can fulfill his destiny. So, in both TPM and Citizen Kane, both little Anakin and Kane are prematurely taken away from their mothers. And in both SW and Citizen Kane, that loss of childhood plays significant roles in both Anakin and Kane?s downfalls.

Also, in both films, Anakin?s and Kane?s eventual loss of their humanity are symbolized physically: Anakin becomes half man/half machine, while Kane becomes grotesquely obese. The main difference between the two being that Anakin is redeemed in the end, while Kane is not. Kane
  16. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh right, thanks Have, one more -

"Balance of the Force" =
    (a) Killing the Emperor
    (b) Killing off all the Jedi
  17. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hmmmm......your view of "Rosebud" may change if you get the chance to view RKO 281, I belive the name was. It was an HBO original movie about the making of Citizen Kane. The film directly dealt with the "true" meaning of "Rosebud."

Maybe I really am too jaded and sarcastic, but I've never understood how we can expect children to maintain idealism and innocence. We certainly do nothing to nurture it, so how can we be surprised or disappointed when people change from an eager, innocent child, to a selfish, grasping adult. It seems to be the nature of the beast. The question I would like someone to answer for me is why there are such extremes. Take two people, same upbringing, same experiences. One grows up to be a normal, semi-sarcastic, moaning adult, while the other becomes a monster. Why does one go farther? Do we assume it's coded into his DNA?
  18. Obi Have Jedi Knight

star 2
    WORMIE, I'm curious as to what the "true" rosebud meant. I don't mind having that film "spoiled."

As to your question about what makes some children turn out ok, and others not, I actually read a book that talked about this. It was a book talking about people who survived some horrible circumstances growing up, and turned out to be really good people. Seems that one common factor in the lives of resilient people is that they had to take care of someone while growing up. That responsiblity of taking care and loving a younger sibling, for example, gave these people a purpose, a meaning, to their lives that provided them with the strength to endure great hardships.

And to your hypothetical about how kids that seemingly were raised in the same environment can turn out so differently...if you actually looked closely at the way they were raised, you'd probably find that they were raised very differently, and that there were some significant differences in their upbringing that put them on such divergent paths. Differences such as birth order, for example, can make a huge difference in how children turn out, (see, e.g., Brady Bunch, Jan's "middle child" syndrome), as parents have different expectations of their various children, and thus raise them differently.

EOWYN, that's an interesting analogy to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Seems like you're saying Luke and Vader had a "symbiotic" relationship, in which Vader's redemption and Luke's liberation from his father's shadow were intrinsically linked. One event couldn't have happened without the other. In fact, both events, Vader's redemption, Luke's liberation, occurred simultaneously; and thus, two results, redemption and liberation, were the consequences of a single act involving two people and a gobstopper (the emperor).

PADMEWAN, interesting questions, will ponder and answer later. Here's one quick answer: Balance to the force = death of the Emperor. Follow up question: *Why* does his death bring balance to the force? What does the death of the emperor signify?
  19. Jedi Eowyn Jedi Master

star 3
    Short quick reply for the night:

SASHA -- I look for conversations which will attract people with ideas, and then I try to hear the ideas & meet the people. I just spent time trying to figure out _why_ do I want to meet the people. I don't have an answer, but I do.

I do prefer long threads to short ones -- threads with conversations vs. threads with quick answers.

HAVE -- symbiosis, yes. Also the "half" items in the inventer's office: Vader without a son, life without redemption, life without family & death. Vader is very much the person from whom duality has been shaved, like those half items in Willy Wonka's office.

You and Padmewan raised a number of fun questions, and I just don't have the energy right now. :) Be back tomorrow! :)
  20. Toshi Station Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wormie- yes, I plan on sticking around- I can't check in nearly as much as I did last year but, with some of the regualars back, it makes it inviting.

Sasha was writing about why we come here and how little bands of users seem to "find" each other. It has a lot to do with personality. We all take certain things with us from the SW movies-particularly the actions/motivations of Luke. He embodies ideas that we either live by or wish we could live by. I don't think there is a Luke basher among us-that's because we cherish those ideas that Luke does (respect, loyalty, friends, devotion, etc.-the list could go on).

As far as the threads go and why we all seemed to "disappear" last year, I come up with 2 reasons.
    1. We became more busy in our personal lives
    2. There was an influx of new members last Oct/Nov that seemed to invade our little corner of the board. They were welcome but then again, they weren't necessarily the same kind of posters as us.

Late last year, I stopped coming around because the topics being posted by newer members didn't seem as intriguing and I was really too busy at work to bother with hours of searching for the one or two threads that interested me. Even now, when I pop on, I seldom visit other areas of this board (hell, I seldom leave Classic Trilogy). I look for the same 4 or 5 threads and post there. I might post in a new thread if I either find the subject appealing or "know" the person who posted the topic.

Other than that, there is comfort in old, familiar faces- I think that's why we all miss what we had last year.
  21. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ok, Have. I'll e-mail you what they said "Rosebud" really was. But don't blame me if it totally ruins the depth of the film for you!

Toshi, it's not easy being insightful and deep. I think that's why the threads have gotten steadily juvenile. I'll admit to having become quite lazy. In the other Starbucks, one of the posters there said she had tried to read the reunion thread but all the posts were soooo long! I laughed so hard, I fell off my chair! She should have been here last summer! We had epic posts going then. Hell, this is nothing, Jade!
  22. Padmewan McGregor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Interesting link to series of articles:

http://wwww.space.com/sciencefiction/movies/dirty_mind_tricks_000428.html
  23. Sasha Sawyer Force Ghost

star 2
    ... ok, I guess I was too chilled Saturday because I'm really under the weather now. I hate when I'm ill enough to be feversish, because whenever I have a fever it's like it jimmies my brain and it gets stuck on the last thing I saw before getting sick and it just repeats it over and over and over until I want to scream long and hard. Unfortunately, the last thing I saw was the tail end of Andy Griffith Monday before I went to sleep, so all night long all I heard over and over again was Barney Fife crooning poetry to Juanita over the phone lines: "Jaunita, Jaunita, Deeeeaaaar Jaunite. There is no one lovlier nor so sweet.." Trust me, it's a fate worse than death.

Migosh, you guys! I'm starting to remember why Starbucks was a full time job. Do you know how much homework every post takes? I do not have an amazing, retain everything, genius mind like all of you, -- I've had to go watch Han taunt Leia in ANH and Luke kill the Emperor in ROTJ, I've scanned some of my old papers on "Citizen Kane", and dug out my copy of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", -- criminey, I might as well be back in school! Some vacation. Ü I sort of feel a love/hate relationship with you guys coming on...

McGREGOR: Our three hour time difference makes me feel like we're ships passing in the night. Every morning I wake up and trace your path by the wake you left... As for subject titles, you and I are the only ones who do that, anyway, so maybe I'm your only audience for that. But I'm an appreciative one! ü Your mental gymnastics are an amazing thing to behold, I never know where you'll leap next. You and words, it's almost like you can taste them.

I think it's interesting that so far all of us test as Introverts. At first I really rebelled at that, I was picturing society's use of the word and while I can be quiet (believe it or not), I didn't feel I was a "wallflower" in any way, shape, or form, -- I'm actually quite social. Really. Truly. Once I even, like, *spoke* to someone when I dashed outside to get my newspaper (I think I said "move". And then I vowed never to go outside again, it's scary out there. I now have all my groceries and papers delivered right to the apartment, and I slide the money under the crack of the door. In a disininfected plastic zip lock bag. ü ) But seriously, I took exception at first to that label until someone explained to me that what it meant was where you draw your energy from. Looked at in those terms, that makes sense for me, because while I crave social events and go stir crazy without them, ultimately I need solitude to recharge. I go nuts if I don't get quiet time, if it's been a busy week, I'll find myself staying up all night just to have some alone-ness and time to think. Is that how it is with you guys?

I'm also wondering if our type similarities (it's VERY unusual to have so many like types in one group) explains why we all enjoy this sort of communication so much. I find speaking with people this way far more fulfilling. You know how I talked about that night where we all ended up on the end of the dock? That sort of thing only happens every now and then in real life, but I think we have flashes of that here constantly. We can cut quicker to the deep stuff, or even the silly Could Mighty Mouse beat up Superman? type stuff, which is ultimately what is the most bonding. IMHO. ü

Oh, and before I get to your Star Wars Brain Twisters, McGREGOR, -- in your collection of carnivourous plants did you happen to have one with a ravenous appetite that always cried, "Feed Me, Feed Me" ?

And how was "Chicken Run"? I haven't seen it, but I did go see "Titan AE". :( Don Bluth, the man who always *almost* gets it right. Frustrating.

1. If Vader wasn't there was it OK for Luke to kill the Emperor?

Are you asking if it's ok for a Jedi to kill? If there is any killing that is "of the light side"? I don't know if I have an answer, but I do have an observation, -- it seems like there are many different ways to be a Jedi. Qui Gon seemed to have a vastly diff
  24. Sasha Sawyer Force Ghost

star 2
    McGREGOR, if I recall correctly, the "Does anger lead to hate?" debate occurred ages after you left the forum....hmmm....someone's doing his research.... ü
  25. Sasha Sawyer Force Ghost

star 2
    TOSHI, I forgot to give you your fortune, I mixed two numbers so I'll just tell you both and you can choose your pick! ü: "With renewed energy accomplish what you can" and "You will be thankful for the pleasures of the coming month."

EVERYONE: Do you think we can compare TPM with ANY movie or book and find resemblances? Let's try it, -- I'll name a film and a book and you guys try to do meaningful analogies. Hmmmm..... <<tapping my foot while trying to think of a book everyone in the world has read>>...."Huckleberry Finn".......and..... "Ghostbusters". Hey, be thankful, I *was* going to say "Titanic"!

Which reminds me, did you guys hear that Cameron married the actress who played Rose's granddaughter in the film? It's his fifth marriage (serial romancer), and he'd had an affair with her while married to Linda Hamilton. Hamilton was asked if she thought all the Oscars Cameron had won had changed him and she replied, "He was a jerk before the movie so it's hard to say" ü I don't normally "speak ill" but I thought there'd be those of us (not to mention names but his initials are OH....) who might appreciate those sentiments in regards to Cameron. (the phrase "the poster boy of arrogant filmmakers" springs to mind... Ü)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.