main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    News release from TOS:

The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD
    February 10, 2004

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.

"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set.

:D

2. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Sweet...

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    It's about darn time! ;)

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Of course, it won't be the version we want!!!

Damn you, George... Give us the Original Trilogy, too!

No, he's going to hold out on us for a while, then release the by-golly-we-really-mean-it edition that costs $400 and is personally delivered by a desperate Harrison Ford.

5. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    "God be praised!"

Hey I would have rather had the originals but my home theatre will now be complete, no more laserdisc rips!

6. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    (cue Holy music)

It's coming it's coming!!!!!!!!!! Yippiee....Of course the ultimate edition will come out after Episode 3 and you can buy all 6 movies and 11 discs come 2006 :(

John

FYI Dale, I found your McQuarrie stormtroopers

7. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I saw a little news blurb last night about the release. Even though George could put both versions on the discs, he won't beause of 'artistic' reasons. I guess that means we'll just have to hit 'mute' whenever Luke falls in ESB!

I saw the McQ Troopers at Toys B Us. I had to get one- well, two. One to open and play with the glow in the dark saber!

8. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
  9. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    What they hey!

Man, I can't believe I just signed a petition for Lucas to make even more money off of me...

10. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I'm such a sucker. I'll buy any and every freakin' edition of the OT Lucas decides to release.

I do wish he would release the "original" pre-1997 OT. But something is better than nothing.

11. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    We already have the SE OT on DVD (thanks to the Malaysians), but I guess the documentary, etc. will be interesting....I guess...........

12. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    And maybe the chapters will be better divided! I do REALLY love the picture quality, especially when you watch the videos before or after it!

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    We already have the SE OT on DVD (thanks to the Malaysians), but I guess the documentary, etc. will be interesting....I guess...........

If nothing else it'll be better than those really long chapters you guys have on the set you have.

ROTJ -
    FWD 1 chapter - Throne Room duel scene

Back up 1 chapter - C3PO and R2D2 at Jabba's front door.

[face_laugh]

EDIT:

Great minds think alike Lin.

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    So do sick ones...

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    TFN said that Carrie Fisher has signed on to do the commentary on the DVD's.

SW on DVD: Fisher to do Commentary
    Tue, Feb 17, 04 09:40:55 PM EST

Richard writes in to tell us that he was surprised we haven't put this on the site yet: Carrie Fisher said on UK TV yesterday that she is doing a commentary for the Star Wars DVDs! So far, Lucas has been confirmed unofficially, now add Princess Leia to the list. We would expect Hamill and others to sign shortly as well.

SW on DVD: Exclusive Cut Scenes
    Tue, Feb 17, 04 09:33:58 PM EST

Skylover writes in to tell us that the official French press release for the Trilogy DVD announced that there will be exclusive cut scenes in it. Sounds great! More details will emmerge soon no doubt.

Omaha Channel Talks Comic Book: The Movie
    Tue, Feb 17, 04 09:50:11 PM EST

The Omaha Channel talks about Mark Hamill's new movie "direct to DVD" and the fun he had making it. Here's a clip of the positive review:
    "I've been so lucky to work to be able to work with these voiceover people who I've admired for years," Hamill told me in a recent interview. "When I'd go to the recording sessions, I marveled at how gifted these people are."
    In the film, Hamill plays Donald Swan, a comic book guru who's trying to protect the integrity of "Captain Courage," a golden-age comic book character who's about to go under a major Hollywood makeover for a big-screen adaptation. Hamill said the idea of using voice actors in a film actually came about with a movie about a real-life comic book close to his heart.

"It was something I thought about when I was trying to get my own comic book, 'The Black Pearl,' made into a movie," Hamill recalled. "When we'd go to smaller companies that didn't have the money to go for big stars, I told them, 'Believe me, I can cast this thing with the biggest stars you never heard of if I need.' To be able to let these people get some screen time was a thrill."

16. AzraelHorn

AzraelHorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    A friend of mine in the LA FanForce said one of their peeps is working on cleaning up the picture for the DVDs. He said they were making a change involving the Emperor but he couldnt say more. Our best guess is that means they are finally putting the real Emperor in ESB rather than that old woman in a hood.

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Welcome to the Memphis FanForce, Azrael Horn! You're the second person I've heard from that has heard inside info about the Emperor scene in ESB. I would be glad to say goodbye to Monkey Woman!

Now, use a Jedi Mind Trick on your friend and have him take out the part where Luke screams like a little girl. I'd greatly appreciate that!

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    And do I have to even mention the 'Greedo shoots first' scene or that horrid Jabba in ANH?! Oh, and why can they put in entirely new backgrounds and characters into a scene but can't add/take away Han's vest at the carbon freezing chamber in ESB..?

Oh- and what about adding or inluding as a 'deleted' scene where Biggs and Luke talk. I've seen shots of them on the roof and Luke as 'Wormie' with the hat near a vaporator and inside Toshi Station.

19. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    And let's not forget the final entry to the SE Hall of Infamy: The ditching of "Bring my shuttle" and Vader's Bespin Travelogue for Idiots:

"Did you hear that? I'm going to my Star Destroyer. Here, let me show you. See the shuttle? It's going to the Star Destroyer. Got it? Not yet? Okay, look, here I am getting out of the shuttle. I'm now on the Star Destroyer. Wait, this is the Death Star...well, just pretend it's the Star Destroyer. Need me to go over that again?"

20. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, they add all that, but cut out Vader F-choking the Emperor's guards!

21. AzraelHorn

AzraelHorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    Heh, I know what you mean. I think they are saving a lot of stuff for the "Ultimate" release in 2006. I don't think we'll see too many big changes/fixes this time around.

22. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Man, by the time they do that I'll have 4 or 5 versions of the OT!

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Lucas is going to get as deep into our pockets as possible. I bet we get a new version of the Saga every three or four years.

Ben: Oooooo....I hate that damned scene, too. Let's find the person who was too stupid to figure out that it was implied that Vader actually got on his shuttle and went to his Star Destroyer. We're going to hunt that idiot down, stomp a mud-hole outta his butt and see how long it takes to walk dry.

24. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    "Did you hear that? I'm going to my Star Destroyer. Here, let me show you. See the shuttle? It's going to the Star Destroyer. Got it? Not yet? Okay, look, here I am getting out of the shuttle. I'm now on the Star Destroyer. Wait, this is the Death Star...well, just pretend it's the Star Destroyer. Need me to go over that again?"

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I never realized that it was the freakin' Death Star, man! And I call myself a fangirl...... [face_laugh]

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Maybe the Empire is like Walmart and uses a generic design for everything. I'm sure Lucas would go with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.