main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Starcraft games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Purusing through some sites, I've found different Starcraft games. How many are there, what are their names?

I've played a bit of Starcraft on the PC, but was fortunately able to get off it in time before it became too addictive. But how does the game play on the Nintendo 64? Are the controls harder to use than that of the PC?

2. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    I was planning on getting it for N64, but I got a comp instead ^_^. The controls will no doubt be harder, plus you are so much more limited. No online play is the biggest one. Try to get it for the PC if you can. There is Starcraft, and its expansion, Brood war.

3. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    There are only 3 Starcraft games I know of. Starcraft, Starcraft: Brood Wars, and Starcraft: Ghost. Ghost will soon come out for X-box and it is a tactical-action game.

I'm sorry but I've never played the N64 versions of Starcraft.

:)

4. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I have Starcraft for N64. It's pretty interesting. It's indentical to the PC version, except for a few insignificant details. The controls are much harder, but become as easy as the PC once you get used to them.

It's probably a good buy if you like Starcraft, because it should be really cheap by now.

5. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Starcraft 64 blows. When you play multiplayer you can FREAKIN SEE WHAT THE OTHER PLAYER IS DOING! And it's split screen and really horrible. As low end as the graphics of Starcraft are compared to today's games they are worse on the 64 than on the PC.

Besides, you can get Starcraft and Broodwar together, with their strategy guides for around 20 bucks these days for the PC. And you have battle.net, one of the most polished and easiest online gaming communities around built specifically for Blizzard games. And you can patch your game, you know, make it more balanced. And version 1.09 has the ability to save and watch games you play (or download other player's replays and watch them).

If you like RTS you are killing yourself by not playing SC and BW for the PC.

6. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Listen to him. You're way better off on the PC. That was just my take on the console one. :)

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Thanks, guys. That's good to know.

I've played a few missions on the PC Starcraft, so I know just how damn good it is. I particularly like the talking scenes between missions. I was just interested in seeing how such games handle on a console, where controller buttons are limited.

So there's three types of Starcraft, one called Brood Wars, is there? As good as the first one?

Ans what would you think is better: Starcraft or Galactic Battlegrounds?

Thanks

8. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    There is Starcraft and it's expansion pack, Brood War. There was a single player only campaign pack made by a 3rd party back before BW came out. It was pretty low quality (no new audio files for mission profiles) and didn't add anything unit wise to the game. I hear some of the missions even had poor quality trigger set ups. And it's hard to find these days. So, just go with SC and BW.

The console version does add the fact that all your peon units (SCVs for Terran, Probes for Protoss, and Drones for Zerg) automatically go to the resource that is needed the most at the time they are produced (either gas or minerals). It was a neat idea, but it's kinda clunky when you want to use a new peon unit to build a structure.

As I tried to make clear in my above post, it's not a contest at all. PC is the way to go.

And SC is higher on my list than the AoK mod that GB is. almost half a decade after it came out and it's still on my harddrive, ready for me to jump into a 1v1 or watch some gosu replays with pro korean players or some shizzle like that.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Starcraft is the most freakin' addictive game I've ever played ::)

::recalls the days of playing multiplayer games online with coworkers till 2 am, then sleeping ever so briefly, going to school, going to work, talking about the preious night's game at work for the most part then going home and playing another game... ::

It's still a great game, even when taken in moderation... [face_batting]

SC64's main shortcoming was being able to see tghe opponent's units and stuff- it's totally worth it to pick up the SC Battlechest for like 20 bucks- it has SC, SC: Brood War expansion pack, and the players guides for em.

Starcraft Ghost will be a different genre of game, but set in the SC universe. Ghost will be coming out on all three platforms, though the GCN and XB versions will have higher details than the PS2 one (though the GCN and XB ones will be identical to each other)

10. Coligeon

Jan 20, 2002
    Yup, Starcraft must be good if I am still playing it today over new games. I also have galactic battlegrounds and must say I was pretty dissappointed. It is ok, but just not as fun. Too many upgrades to worry about, less action, and it takes the game longer to progress. Starcraft is about the only RTS I can play because things can happen so quickly. I've yet to find another RTS as fun and fast as this one. Download the PC demo if you are unsure. I think gamerevolution.com still has it. Good luck ^_^>

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/gs/strategy/swgb/swbgtrial.exe

I went to that site and was going to download it, then I saw it was an .exe format. Your comp system can be invaded by outside if you use those file formats, can't you?

I found GB today at a store for AUD$90. Pricey! I might have to wait a few months for that to come down. Or I could get Starcraft in the interim . . .

12. Coligeon

Jan 20, 2002
    Any demo you download will either be a .EXE file or a .ZIP file. You hardly see any other types. I download demos all the time.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Are .exe demo files downloaded from a company's official games site safe enough, you think? :D

14. Coligeon

Jan 20, 2002
    Probably. If you are that worried, have a friend download it for you and have him burn it on a cd :).

15. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    If it's on their official website, or a well respected outlet such as a gaming news site, then yes, it's safe as can be.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm very interested in getting Galactic Battlegrounds, but at $90 Aust dollars that interest will have to wait until the price deflates. To my vexation, warranties won't allow Amazon to ship a vastly cheaper GB.

I might get Starcraft for now, even though it's going to be a horrible addiction. Having passed one side of C and C, I now what it's like!

17. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    it isnt that bad, as long as you dont play online...

18. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    playing online is very fun if you dont your sc cd might as well be coaster or a frisbe

an idea how about we type real sloppy like on battle net with horrible abreviations and slang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.