main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The stars and wonder of the star wars Saga...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Warning: This is kind of cheesy.

Lucas says that he thinks of star wars as much more of a "fairy tale" than just sci-fi. Something i have always wondered about the star wars saga is that they say when you look up at night the stars you see are really light from many thousands of years ago (because light from so far away takes time to get to are eyes on earth) so i always thought that had something to do with why Lucas thought of putting "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." at the beginning of each Episode. Because it makes it sound like if you look up at the stars at night you can see what the characters saw in the movies "a long time ago" get it? It really makes the saga much more like a "legend of the past" or a "fairy tale" than just normal sci-fi. Thats whats always been special to me about star wars and i think thats whats always made star wars seem more special to most other people and stand out as much, much more than just sci-fi.[face_coffee]

We all know this for the most part but what are your personal thoughts on the idea of looking at the stars at night and seeing what Luke once gazed at with the same wonder? Also what do you think other "fairy tale" ideas like this add to the saga as a story and what are your interpretations?@};-

2. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Yeah, I never really was a hardcore fan of everything sci-fi but I always loved Star Wars and it's because it's more of a myth than it is sci-fi. When I was younger I just never could relate to Greek, Roman, Christian, and medieval myths. I guess because they were just old but I could relate to Star Wars. I know many people even fans dismiss Lucas' claims that he always saw Star Wars as a modern myth but I know he always did because why else would he seek the advice of Joseph Campbell when he was writting the original movie if he wasn't writing a myth?

As for light from other celestial bodies taking years to reach our eyes, well I'm pretty sure we're not seeing the same stars that Luke Skywalker, Son of Darth Vader, once looked upon but there could be someone out there in the vastness of space who once looked at a star or two while contemplating their place in the universe.

As for as the stars and mythology go, I love this article that lightly touches upon Varl's two suns, the gods Evona and Ardos.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's actually a pretty cool concept... I had thought of that in general but never really put my finger on the idea that specifically. Interesting. Also... I have always been a Star Wars fan but never a real fan of anything else considered to be "sci-fi".

4. Cobalt60

Cobalt60 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    there's a difference between sci-fi and fantasy.
    --> star trek is "Science Fiction" ; star wars is "Science Fantasy"

(technically SW belongs in the fantasy genre alongside LOTR ; not in the sci-fi genre alongside Trek)

5. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I agree with that completely. I've always found that Star Wars is more akin to Lotr or Forgotten Realms than it is to Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    And yet the line between sci-fi and fantasy is a thin one.

7. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    I always get really mad when im in a video store and happen to see the star wars movies in the "sci-fi" section. Anything that has to do with space they just label "sci-fi".:mad:

8. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    It is Sci-Fi, no matter what Lucas says. It's got loads of science in it that doesn't exist, so it is "Science Fiction" (i.e. science which is fiction). If you're to be totally accurate you could call it Sci-Fi Fantasy.

9. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    YUP! No matter what he says alright! :D No matter what the creator of the thing says! no matter what! Thats right! No matter what he says!

10. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007

:eek:

Sweet Jesus obi rob please say you are joking.

11. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I always get really mad when im in a video store and happen to see the star wars movies in the "sci-fi" section. Anything that has to do with space they just label "sci-fi".

And where would you put it? There's not really a science fantasy section in a video store. In fact, I really don't even see video stores create different sections for sci-fi and fantasy. It's usually one-and-the-same section.

12. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    OP was right, man that was a cheesy thread opener.

That's the beauty of stars - you can look up at them and fall into your own world of imagination. Now you must excuse while I go and vomit.

Oh, and Sci-fi/fantasy? Who cares? Just a label.

13. rich-narco

rich-narco Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    Well , bastardising Arthur C Clarke for a second - if we don't understand it , it's magic. If we do then it's science. To LOTR characters magic IS science....

I'd put it in the docudrama section. Just to fukwidit....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.