main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY The Status of the MEPA Message Boards

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Samantha, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    It truely is amazing the immaturity some people will go to.

It appears that Laura's password was hacked, and a person logged in -- and changed everything. I immediatly called Kristen -- Got her login information and backed the database up before anymore could be ruined. All the admins have been deleated so that no one can have access. Without the website information from laura, little can be done to fix it until Laura comes back.

Thanks to Kristen -- We have the IP address of the person(s) responsible. And believe you me -- Hacking is a serious felony and we will be taking actions against these persons. We DO NOT tolerate this type of behavior.

TO ALL MEPA MESSAGE BOARD MEMBERS:

If your password for the mepa website, is one for one of your e-mail accounts, please change it.

If you do not have an anti-virus -- please download one.

If you do not have a firewall -- please buy one.

2. -KnightShade-

-KnightShade- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    Jedi_Samantha -

I don't know if you are using a hosting provider or not - but you may want to see if they can provide you a backup of your database from prior to the hack.

You have no way of knowing what other back doors the hacker has put in while they were there. A recent backup (say 24 hours ago?) would at the very least give you a comparison point.

I wish you guys luck! Let me know if I can help.

3. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I've backed up the database mid hack before almost all the admins were deleated. So we're semi-ok.

Our admin for the website is currently in south america.. but this will all be changing.

Have no fear Mepa -- I will fix this for us.

4. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Cowards never cease to amaze me.

5. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    There are a few other things that are amazing...

All this happend within 24 hours of us discussing NY Line staff members who are known troublemakers

The hacker only deleted people these same staff members have attacked and harassed in the past.

The hacker changed F16warbirds name to Always Banned on TFN so it's obviously someone familar with these forums....

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

6. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Its ok Chris -- Im on the phone with tech support now though. I gave them the IP address :) Hoorah!

7. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    LISTEN UP!

As of tomorrow by noon, the forums of MEPA will be back up and running IN FULL CAPACITY.

You can run, but you can not hide from those with more computer knowledge then you. Don't friggin <TOS VIOLATION> with me. You will NOT WIN.

I have filed a formal complaint with the person's hosting company.

Geeze when will people learn that IP ADDRESSES ARE LIKE PHONE NUMBERS. YOU CAN BE TRACKED.

8. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    That's pretty <TOS VIOLATION>ed up. Anyway, I happen to have seen what was done to the site and I think it was pretty lame.

However, I did see that the person signed things with "this site hacked by me MuWa" or something like that. I don't know if this helps but I hope it can help you guys in figuring out who did it.

Darth Venom
    "I may be a troublemaker, but I at least have my honor"

9. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I have the IP address of the person(s) responsible. (Thank goodness for some fast thinking by me and Kristen) It was traced, and i filed a formal complaint. As well as the mesageboards will be back up tomorrow after the hosting company restores the website. I will be updating the board to version .13 of phpbb tomorrow.

I have a headache from all this... I lost power in the middle of this nonsense and didnt even eat dinner.

THIS IS A FRIGGIN MOVIE PEOPLE. GROW UP.

10. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    We are also persuing this legally through our corporate attorney. That forum was also my business' forum thus they attacked a registered Corporation. This game has gone very bad for them!

11. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, guys. :(

12. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    We're going to move servers since we were on the same one as you guys. We don't feel safe if you guys were hacked into like that.

This is rather childish, no? *sigh* I think it's time people wake up, and like Sam said, realize it's just a movie. I've been saying this for quite sometime, and honestly, the stress and aggravation is just NOT WORTH it. Everyone on this board lives a life that doesn't need to be interrupted by things like this. I'm glad you guys nipped it.

And if someone went on TFN and changed Joe's name...I don't even know what to make of that.

13. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    As of 12:00am this morning, we have discovered the exact hacker of the website. We are currently persuing legal actions. I wanna thank everyone who has helped out in this matter.

14. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Excellent work! Due to evidence uncovered by our dedicated investigators, we believe the hacker is a known user of forums at TF.N and an associate of certain NY Line staff. Stay tuned because as soon as we can we plan to make the identity public.

15. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Bravo... brav... #%%#%... O.

16. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I love democracy.. I love the republic...

Wow I am having Deja Vu from like 2 years ago... holy boogers.

17. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I changed your banner to the northeast one for now till things get back up and running.

18. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I can't wait for C3. ;)

19. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Would everyone with information leading up to the identification of the alleged perpetrator please foward to me what information you possess so I may begin doing what I have to do. Also let me know if I can contact you if I need some technical computer stuff explained. Thank you.

20. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    I agree with Joe...Who ever did this is a coward. These attacks are childish and quite frankly have gone on far too long. Its a movie people. OK!!!

21. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    What you need Mike. I'll make sure you get it.

Just as a reminder, all mepa message board members please change your passwords for e-mail, tfn, etc

22. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    OK.

Spoke with sales this morning..

The fee is $50.00 to restore the site.

I told them they are out of there minds if they think we are paying that. We are a non-profit organization -- we do not have money laying around. The sales women is taking it up with the supervisior. I told her she is our hosting company and should make sure that these things CAN NOT HAPPEN. I am waiting to here back from her via e-mail.

Hopefully they restore price will be waived.

23. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Very idiotic, I'm guessing that's why I couldn't register. Well....is it safe to register now?

24. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    No it is not safe, and you still can not sign up.

The website boards are currently in view so that the hosting company can see the damage done. I explained to them that we are pressing charges through our attorney.

As soon as the boards are restored, they will be going offline again. I have some work that needs to be done so this doesnt happen again.

There are going to be new regulations for the boards -- Just need to finalize them with John.

Depending on what time the boards are restored will depend on when I can get the boards back up. I dont think they will be ready until tonight though (I've got work this afternoon)

25. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Alright then, PM or e-mail when it's ready to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.