main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO The StLFF Off-Topic Thread v3.0: There is a Life Outside of SWs???

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedi_runya, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Typically Lawrence is a few degrees cooler than StL, but we've been consistently a few degrees hotter here.

Unfortunately, in our apartment, I live upstairs in a room with a south facing window and the AC doesn't get up here very well :(

2. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    You all can always come north for a visit. We are gonna be at a high of 75 today and a high of 65 on Saturday. burrr

3. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Getting out of here to colder climates sounds great. Unfortunately my first class is 15 hours away.

4. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I would settle for a balmy 80 at this point. At least then you probably have a breeze that doesn't take your breathe away and you don't have sweat pouring down your face. I hate sweating!!!

5. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Ugh. Time to go to class. My body doesn't like this getting up at 6:30 thing. Especially since I couldn't get to sleep till 4am.

>.<

6. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Only do your heavy duty partying and tweeking out on Friday and Saturday. :p

7. jmb_jedi00

jmb_jedi00 Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2003
    I guess this was bound to happen. If you heard that "Chocolate Rain" song being spread all over the web, well now Chad vader has his own version on YouTube. Too funny! Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6dUCOS1bM0

8. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I went to another job fair yesterday so hopefully something will pan out but most wanted college degrees and or experiance in things I've never heard of. I did manage to get a few to accept my resumé though. What sounded most promising was the Sheet Metal Worker's Union. He said to go to their office and pick up a packet, complete it and then return it on the first Wednesday of the month. They'd look it over and if I'm acceptable, they'll give me a test and if I pass that I should be hired. The apprenticeship is 9,000 hours(5 years) long but they pay you while training you.

9. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    So I am back from my craft show. I did okay. Hoped to do better, but now I have a better idea of what sells and what doesn't, hopefully. We had a pretty good crowd, though I didn't have any one show up that I knew. Stuff that seemed to do well were, jewelry, purses and baby items. Figures! Did get some good ideas though on merchandising, etc. for the one I am doing in Sept. and what I didn't sell tonight is less I will need to make for Sept.

10. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    Hey Leash, glad to hear things went ok. Sorry I could not attend the craft show and see your art.

11. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks Laura! I will eventually post a link to my blog that will have pics of everything I made. My stuff is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but some people might get a kick out of it.

12. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Well I start work as a machinist trainee Monday morning. It's going to be brutal though and I really don't know how long I'll last. The day starts at 7:30 am and goes until 5:30 pm. Two days a week I will be there from 7:30 am until 9pm(almost a 16 hour day [face_tired] ) and on Saturdays for three hours for additional training but won't get paid for it. Also while working, I'm not allowed to sit down at all so I don't know how well my back will deal witrh that. They will issue me $175 worth of tools that they will deduct from my pay which is $10/hour.

I hope the one at Wash U School of Medicine for a research tech calls. More pay and better benifits along with only 40 hours a week and I could probably sit when I needed to.

13. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Frank is your new job with John J. Steuby?

14. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes it is, Leash. How'd you guess?

15. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Jeremy worked there right after Rowan was born. It sounded like the same thing. Jeremy says to keep track of the stories and you will be able to write a book with them.

16. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    LOL, the place seemed like chaos. Did he say anything about how the owners are or how the place is?

17. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I have power!! And it only took 24 hours this time. :D

18. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Woo hoo! We never lost it this time around. :p

19. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Lucky you! And congrats on the job. :D

20. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Frank,
    the owners are just weird. He always tells the story of Jack who is probably in his 80's now speeding driving the little golfcart thing through the building and hitting an employee. Not on purpose mind you either. There are just lots of funny little stories Jeremy has from there. But, basically it's hard work, but as long as you show up and do your job you're golden!

21. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    It was an old guy, about 900 years old and wearing a pair of blue coveralls that I talked to and who hired me.

22. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Ugh, my first day was pure hell. [face_tired] [face_pain]

23. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    That's Jack! And just watch out when he is on the golfcart! LOL! Sorry you had a hell day.

Did I mention I love my job??!!!!!! [face_dancing]

24. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Try a hell week, Leash. [face_tired]

I'm glad you like your job though. [:D]

25. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I went to the clinic today(paid for by work) to be checked out from when the chair I was sitting in during lunch yesterday decided to break with me in it, throwing me on to the floor. They said I sprained my back so I've been put on light duty for a while. The X-rays looked fine so there's nothing wrong with the bones themselves. They gave me some pain killers and muscle relaxers to try to ease the pain. I have to see the doctor again Tuesday morning for an evaluation and to schedule physical therapy twice a week for a couple weeks to un-twist the muscles.

Yesterday Jack said that he saw me leaning back in the chair when I wasn't. This morning he said that I was twisting in the chair while leaning back. He keeps changing his story. I think he's trying to get out of this as cheap as possible. [face_frustrated]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.