main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Stranger Things thread (Tag All Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Jul 18, 2016.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

Thank you!

TheAvengerButton likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    tom with love:

tom likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    UGH. I want to punch something now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Loved it just as much as I did S1. My favorite was easily episode 7.

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    It will be interesting in season 3 for sure.

Steve will be out of high school. Supposedly Andy as well.

Nancy and Jonathan will be seniors.
    The kids will be freshmen, which will be real interesting. Especially if Hopper allows Eleven to go to school.

For those that play D & D, what consists of a good balanced party?
    If what Mike says is true, Mike = paladin, Dustin = bard, Will = cleric, Lucas = ranger, Eleven = mage.

Where do other characters fit? Steve = barbarian?, Max = Rogue?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's definitely a decent party, but you miss out on some specific things that Rogues can do... it's not always a huge deal, depending on what kind of campaign/adventure you're running (or if you're using Tomb of Horrors in which case everyone just dies for choosing poorly...)...

I do like Max as a Rogue, as she got in both a theft, a sneak attack, and a backstab.

So, if you assign value from only the original Advanced Dungeons and Dragons set... you have the Bard as a somewhat multi-classed Fighter/Thief -> Bard... and then the classes are: Assassin, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Illusionist, Magic User, Paladin, Ranger... but then Unearthed Arcana (1985) added Acrobat, Barbarian, and Cavalier. The boys would certainly not have that, but the Duffers seem okay with mild anachronisms.

So, theoretically:
    • Mike is a Paladin
    • Dustin is a Bard (Fighter / Thief / Bard)
    • Will is a Cleric
    • Lucas is a Ranger
    • Eleven is a Magic User with Psionics
    • Hopper is a Fighter
    • Steve is a Cavalier
    • Max is an Acrobat
    • Billy is a Barbarian
    • Joyce is a Druid
    • The Mind Flayer is an Illusionist with Psionics
    Those are my opinions, but should round out everything until we get an Assassin next season... ;)

cerealbox likes this.
  8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Not sure why you assigned Billy a role. What about Jonathan and Nancy?

In my original post, I said Andy instead of Billy. Oops.

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    #WhatAboutBarb

LloydChristmas likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Barb is a Gelatinous Cube.

Eh, because Billy has to be more important in the next couple of seasons otherwise he's a wastoid. And Jonathan may not be back (but he'd be an Illusionist, with Creeper tendencies).

In terms of Nancy, she's anachronistic -- she's not playing D&D, she's her own thing. That's why I didn't give her a class -- she sort of transcends the game a bit and is singular. I'm not sure I'm correct, or if that will come into play, but that was my take.

EDIT: My mistake, because I've been blocking Episode 7 out, but Kali is the Assassin. So that should fill us out for S3, and I now doubt there will be more characters. Which also makes sense, since her party is the antithesis of Jane's party...

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Hello, Kali is literally an Illusionist.

cerealbox likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

... but that's not her role. She's also literally an Assassin. :p (with Psionics)

cerealbox likes this.
  13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    What a great show. Very much enjoyed season two.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Kudos for the Paul Reiser/Sean Astin interplay. The extent to which Bob was such a good guy...

..meant it was pretty much a given that either the other shoe was going to drop and he was actually in league with the bad guys, or he was going to die. As it happened, once he was Bob Henby the superhero, some of the biggest dramatic tension I experienced was not the question of if Bob was going to die, but how. And well done with playing on our expectations of Paul Reiser and one of his most (in)famous roles. When Dr. Owens decided to stay back and play navigator, my wife and I fully expected him to go all "Carter Burke" and guide Bob into a pack of Demo-dogs.

15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    The creators have said that the line, that the scientist who gave Eleven's mom the shock therapy, was true about "papa."

How the hell did he survive season 1?

16. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Wasn't the chocolate he gave to the demodog also called Three Musketeers?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I'm not really sure how people missed the D'artagnan connection to Dart there...

18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Netflix has its own "Talking Dead" - "Beyond Stranger Things." It's not nearly as awful as Talking Dead though. The mostly young cast does an extraordinary job talking about the collaborative process. Sean Astin and Paul Reiser do taped segments. The Duffer brothers themselves have so much goofy puppy charm (but also you can tell they're just incredibly thoughtful and sharp as well as outrageously funny) you want to hug them and bring them home and keep them as pets.

The Duffer brothers could go all out big budget Hollywood blockbuster if they wanted. They've got the chops to be the Coen Brothers of fantasy/sci fi.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I enjoyed this season. Episode 7 didn't really fit to me, but it was interesting none the less. Looking forward to what the Duffer brothers do for the next season.

20. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I think it was actually the chocolate that inspired Dustin. The camera shows him looking at it and then he says "D'Artagnan".

21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Just realized that the lab have been tapping the phone lines of all the heroes since the last year.

Up until Nancy tried calling Barb's mom, I imagaine that must be a pretty boring job.

If I had to listen to 2 hours of Mrs. Wheeler's gossip, I'd go insane.

22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Even more stuff I missed on first watch:

When Will is getting ready for the dance, we see he made a drawing of superhero Bob Newby, on the refrigerator. And Jonathan is recording everything with Bob's video camera.

Jedi Merkurian and Revyl Ren like this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Honest Trailers for Season One:

timmoishere and Healer_Leona like this.
  24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    For those wanting Nancy and Steve to be together, that relationship was doomed the moment Steve said he'd just stay in town and work for his dad.

Nancy's not the greatest character, but since season 1, Nancy has been adamant that she doesn't want to settle like her mom and end up still in small town USA. The thing she and Jonathan have in common are having higher aspirations. Something poor Steve doesn't have.

25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015