main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Strength Inside of Me (Obi-Wan Kenobi) Intertriology. Slight AU FINISHED!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by ZaraValinor, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    Oh, good post.

I see more and more of Anakin wanting to emerge. Maybe the two of them can draw it fully out? :)

2. Shloz

Shloz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2001
    Wonderful posts!

You really recaptured Ben's personality and attitude towards Vader from ANH, including his use of "Darth" as a proper name (or maybe just refusal to use the title "Lord" in reference to a Sith).

Young Obi-Wan's behavior under duress and Vader's reactions were written very well. Vader is starting to wonder about his feelings towards Obi-Wan, even while trying to maintain his Dark character. Good luck, Obi-Wan! Hopefully, the torture droid won't have any effect, because a) Obi-Wan is too powerful (Hey, Leia managed it!); and b) he really doesn't know that much, other than that he is Obi-Wan Kenobi and not Ben's son.

For my first point of real criticism on any of your fics that I have read (don't worry, I'm looking for any I might have missed!):

"He better not be harmed, Darth," Ben threatened. "Or you will be sorry."

That kind of line doesn't strike me as being in Ben's character. Indeed, I don't think outright threats of any kind are in his character. Ben always struck me as at least sounding congenial and calm, even when offering veiled threats or even outright fighting.

Of course, this does not detract at all from the greatness of this fic so far. Keep it up!

3. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    good job so far. keep it up.

4. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Oo, Oo, OOoo. I'm more than hooked now! :D

Wonderful job! I'm sitting on the edge of my seat in enthralled fascination! :D

5. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Wow!! I just found this...great story...and i really cant wait to read more...Keep up the good work..

Pt

6. TorontoJediMaster

Oct 14, 2001
    Moving this up. :)

7. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Shloz
    Wonderful posts!

You really recaptured Ben's personality and attitude towards Vader from ANH, including his use of "Darth" as a proper name (or maybe just refusal to use the title "Lord" in reference to a Sith).

Young Obi-Wan's behavior under duress and Vader's reactions were written very well. Vader is starting to wonder about his feelings towards Obi-Wan, even while trying to maintain his Dark character. Good luck, Obi-Wan! Hopefully, the torture droid won't have any effect, because a) Obi-Wan is too powerful (Hey, Leia managed it!); and b) he really doesn't know that much, other than that he is Obi-Wan Kenobi and not Ben's son.

For my first point of real criticism on any of your fics that I have read (don't worry, I'm looking for any I might have missed!):

"He better not be harmed, Darth," Ben threatened. "Or you will be sorry."

That kind of line doesn't strike me as being in Ben's character. Indeed, I don't think outright threats of any kind are in his character. Ben always struck me as at least sounding congenial and calm, even when offering veiled threats or even outright fighting.

Of course, this does not detract at all from the greatness of this fic so far. Keep it up!

Perhaps I should revamp that line. When I wrote it I was think of the possiblities if the young Obi-Wan were killed. Anakin would never have been trained so when Ben is referring to the fact that he would regret it his talking about that. Thanks.

PaddyJuan

good job so far. keep it up.

Thanks Paddy, I will.

Arldetta
    Oo, Oo, OOoo. I'm more than hooked now!

Wonderful job! I'm sitting on the edge of my seat in enthralled fascination!

Wow, I normally don't like time travel either, because it makes what the characters have been through seem trivial in a way, that eveything cn be fixed by some magical wave of the Force. Nothing can be fixed like that.

Padawan_Travina
    Wow!! I just found this...great story...and i really cant wait to read more...Keep up the good work..
    Pt

Glad that you enjoyed it.

8. TorontoJediMaster

Oct 14, 2001
    Can't wait for the next post. :)

9. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    TorontoJediMaster

Can't wait for the next post.

Sorry Toronto, I didn't mean to miss you. Thanks for cuing in.

10. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    I miss many posts...sorry!!

Love this Zara. More soon!!

11. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    "And what of me?" Anakin came back to say. "A boy born to be a slave, who he never thought could do it."
    "Now a man who has enslaved himself to the dark side," Ornsar answered back.

Brillant line! Now that is a bit of dialogue I would actually rather like to see between Obi and Vader in Episode III!
    I must say again how superbly crafted and incredibly original this idea is Zara I am very much enjoying it.
    And as a side point - you share first names with my OC Zara Adair - handmaiden Sabe's birth mother.

12. TorontoJediMaster

Oct 14, 2001
    I like that we can still see much of Anakin inside of Vader. :)

13. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    The screams of Obi-Wan Kenobi assualted Ben as he was unable to help the boy. He felt an echo of the pain from whatever Vader was doing to Obi-Wan but it was like a memory, a fantom pain. Anakin had one time explained it to him after he had lost his arm in the battle with Dooku, he said he could sometimes feel it as if it were still there. He wondered fleetingly if Vader could still feel the parts he had lost in their battle.

He wondered if Vader still even felt.

Obi-Wan's horse scream slowly died out and a moment later the stormtroopers dragged him in. He looked terrible with a deep gash across his forehead right above his left eyebrow. His face was bruised in the burgeoning blues that would certainly go purple and black with time. Blood was dripping from a cut in his lip and his head lulled from side to side when Ben reached over and supported him.

"I've never been through that before," Obi-Wan said in a terrible attempt at humor.

"Let's hope that you never have to again," Ben said, lifting the corner of his tunic to blot at Obi-Wan's lip.

Obi-Wan's glazed eyes centered on his. "You've been lying to me, Ben.

"How so?" Ben asked unable to outrightly deny it.

"He called you Obi-Wan when he was interrogating me. He asked me how I could possibly be the son of Obi-Wan Kenobi," Obi-Wan answered.

"And what did you answer?" Ben pressed.

Obi-Wan sighed. "Don't worry, I stuck to our story."

"Obi-Wan..." Ben started knowing that he would have to come clean, but considering just how much to tell his youngerself.

"How can I be the son of myself, Ben or should I say Obi-Wan?" the younger Kenobi asked.

Sorry it's short but I'm tired. I'll write more tomorrow.

14. Padawan_Travina

Aug 5, 2002
    WHOOO!!! An update...:)

Great post.even if it was short...I can't wait to see how um.."Ben" is going to answer this question..

Cant wait to read more..

PT

15. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Ditto on that Travina. I wanna see how this question gets answered as well as Obi's reaction

More more more!!

16. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    Even tortured and exhausted his mind is sharp, picking up on the clue and coming to a conclusion that should be unbelievable, but is the only logical one. so he accepts it and runs with it

17. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I also want to know what Ben is going to say! How will Obi-Wan react when it hits home that it is his failure also?

Looking forward to more!

18. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Obi-Wan watched the older man who was hovering protectively over him. Shock and pain was fighting for dominance on his age lined face. Obi-Wan reached out a hand and touched Ben's gently.

"I have to know," he whispered softly.

Ben nodded and he turned away momentarily as if searching around the cell for the answers. When he came back to face Obi-Wan there was a resolution in his eyes. "Your supsicions are right, young Obi-Wan. You are not my son and I am not Ben Lars, I was once Obi-Wan Kenobi as you are now, with time all things change."

Now it was Obi-Wan's turn to figure out what feeling was dominate in him. Ben's apprentice, the one encased in the heavy black armor and had tortured him without hesitation would be his own one day. And by the way that Ben was so totally devastated an apprentice he would love.

"Master Yoda says that the future is always in motion," Obi-Wan hastened to say. "The future is not written."

"It is for you young Obi-Wan," Ben interjected sadly. Ben shook his head. "How I wish I could tell you otherwise?"

Obi-Wan nodded, swallowing and tasting his own blood in his mouth. "What happened?"

"Perhaps some other time young Obi-Wan. When we are not so close to him," Ben said, unable to mention his former apprentice's name.

Struggling to sit up, Obi-Wan fell back down almost immediately. His body wasn't reacting to his minds commands like it normally did due to his future apprentice's toture tactics. "You owe me more then that, Ben. I need to know what happens. Perhaps I can stop it."

"Stop it," Ben nearly yelled. "Don't you think I tried to stop it, that you will try to stop it? He...he was my son and he turned everything I taught him into something vile."

Suddenly a thought struck Obi-Wan like a dagger to his solar plexis. "You told me that the same organization that took your apprentice killed your Master. Is that why I can't feel Master Qui-Gon?"

"He's been dead for nearly thirty years," Ben answered softly and it somehow angered Obi-Wan that there wasn't as much sorrow for Qui-Gon as there was for the dark demon.

But it dimmed nearly as fast as everything that Ben had said came to full comprehension. "So soon," he said. "He'll be gone so soon."

"You shouldn't think about that, I've told you too much as it is," Ben argued, pulling off his outer tunic to use as a pillow for Obi-Wan.

The younger Kenobi could not process everything that his older self was saying. His future held a life of isolation and despiar on a desert world Obi-Wan had never been to before.

"Why Tatooine?" he asked Ben.

"It was the planet that my apprentice was most likely not to venture to," Ben answered. "Now rest. There will be time later for questions."

Obi-Wan leaned into Ben's tunic which would be his in the future. "Ben what did he do? Master was devastated but I never saw him like this. What did our apprentice do?"

"He helped to destroy the whole order," Ben admitted. "There gone, all of them."

Obi-Wan's felt tears well up in his eyes at just the thought he couldn't imagine what Ben had been through. "I'm sorry."

"Rest, Obi-Wan. You'll need your strength if we are to get out of here," Ben admonished gently.

"What about you? He's not likely to let you get away without a quick session with his interrogation droid," Obi-Wan countered.

Ben laid his hand on Obi-Wan's forehead and he didn't even feel the Force suggestion he placed inside his already fatigued mind. He just drifted softly into sleep.

19. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Wonderful! It's rare that one can have a heart to heart with one's self. So what will Vader do now? Does he believe young Obi? Or will he put the aged Master to the test?

Can't wait for more. ;)

20. Padawan_Travina

Aug 5, 2002
    Great Chapter...but um..can we have more PLEASE??

PT-who is dying here waiting for the next chapter..

21. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    i can just see the two Obi-wan's talking in the prison cells, one knowing Vader, the other still holding hope, but suddenly faced with a most horrible future. However, as Yoda often says, always in motion the future is. so maybe if he can escape, he can change things.

so.... Lemme Know!!!

22. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    WOW! A lot there for Obi to take in, most of it heartbreaking."So soon," he said. "He'll be gone so soon." :( - Will Obi-Wan try and change the future? How will this affect him when he meets Anakin for the first time?

23. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Some very good writing, an excellent premise. :D I've been enjoying this immensely. Thanks for continuing w/ it.

24. TorontoJediMaster

Oct 14, 2001
    Man, just thinking about how the cause and effect stuff they're going through is making my head spin. :)

I agree that maybe the younger Obi-Wan can prevent Anakin from falling. In the here and now though, perhaps the two of them can get through to Anakin.

There's still much good left in him and much conflict. Together, I believe, they can make the Light emerge from him again.

25. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Cool story. :) I like the side to side comparisons, they show how Obi-Wan has changed over the years from his innocent self, yet the similarities that they maintain.

I wonder what will happen when young Obi-Wan goes back in time...for after all, one cannot live life knowing how the future will go.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.