main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Strength to Go On--AU, Angst, Romance, Post-DN/Legacy, Valin/Tahiri--vingette comapion to AHAW

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Flowerlady, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Titles: The Strength to Go On
    Author: Flowerlady
    Timeframe: post-DN, Future
    Characters: Tahiri Veila/ Valin Horn
    Genre: AU, Angst, Romance
    Disclaimer: I own nothing.
    Summary: Valin Horn remembers his wife.

A/N: This vignette is a companion piece to my novel, Always Have, Always Will. You do not need to read that to understand this but you should know that I have taken some liberties with the events of the Dark Nest Trilogy. First, I make the Killiks out to be the bad guys. The Jedi who were called to the hive was in a sense tricked by the Dark Jedi. In the process, the Jedi not only try to help get the ?captured? Jedi free from the Killiks, but also help the Chiss. Also, the GFFA come to the aid of the Chiss which opens the door for the Chiss to join the GFFA. Finally, after the events that loosely occur in the Joiner King, Tahiri returns to Zonoma Sekot to continue her work with Danni Quee and the Yuuzahn Vong. I know, not what happened but when I wrote AHAW, I hadn?t read the trilogy yet and was working off the spoilers I knew. This piece also covers the time after the events as laid out in Always Have, Always Will. But you should know Jacen and Tenel Ka, Kyp and Jaina, Zekk and Danni are all married. The other companion piece to this is To Love Thy Friend which dealt with the romance of Jag Fel and Shawnkyr Nuruodo.

This will also act as a sort of prologue to the sequel I will begin posting next week to Always Have, Always Will.

~The Strength to Go On~
    (61 years ABY)

As the reddish sun rose over the horizon of what the Galaxy referred to as the Jedi planet of Ossus, he stared unseeingly out over the field and absently lifted the glass to his lips again. He winced as he swallowed the dark amber liquid, but it no longer burned as it slid down his throat. No, the fine Corellian whisky had numbed his tongue and throat and it had dulled his senses but he still felt the pain. He wondered if anything would ever make the pain go away.

Valin Horn drained the glass and reached a trembling hand over to pour another but when he picked up the bottle it was empty. He stared blurry-eyed at the bottle, when he had started this journey to forget last night after his parents, his kids and the many friends left, it had been nearly full. Only five shots had been poured from it. Those had been drunk only a month ago in celebration of the engagement announcement of his son Terrik to Meri Leia Durron, the youngest daughter of his good friends Kyp and Jaina Durron. Terrik had brought the bottle out and poured the shots for them. That had been a happy time. He would never forget Tahiri?s joy at the prospect of finally officially belonging to the Solo family which over the years had become an adoptive one for her. As she, their daughter Cassie, his mother Mirax, his sister Jysella and Jaina went off with Meri, the men who included himself, Kyp, Terrik, his brother-in-law Doran Tainer and Corran Horn went into Valin?s study and toasted to the bright and happy future.

Now, Valin Horn, Jedi Master and member of the Jedi Council, looked at the empty bottle and felt cheated as he wondered if those five shots would have been enough to make the pain and grief go away. Make the guilt go away. Make him forget the woman whom he had loved so completely for the past twenty-five years who would never be coming back.

Suddenly, the grief overwhelmed him, as he threw the bottle across the room he sobbed and yelled out in aguish.

?Tahiri, why did you have to leave me? Why did you have to die??

Then as he buried his face into his hands and sobbed, the memories came rushing back.

~>X<~

(Timeframe: immediately after the Killik War)

He wasn?t happy and he really didn?t care if anyone knew that either. ?I don?t care,? he said into his mike as he approached the

2. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    moving and sad.

overall a great job Flowerlady!

3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    poor Valin hes so shaken up over this

oh and umm I was half way reading through your fic when a rat decided to drop out of the hole in my ceiling at the moment

more soon

4. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Ok since i have to be the oddball of things.. first off

"However, because Valin insisted the Galaxy could not withstand another Booster, especially one that was a Jedi, he and Tahiri named him Terrik."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aint THAT the truth! The Galaxy can barely deal with the one they have!!!

But, now to the sadness

GOOD GOD FLOWERLADY! I'm all crying and junk. Poor Valin :( That was a greatly written sad story.

5. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Very touching.:_| Nicely done. =D= Can't wait till sequel is up![face_dancing]

6. SITH_MAYO

SITH_MAYO Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2005
    :) Amazing!!!:_| In a teary kinda way!!!

?Tahiri, I love you.?

Tahiri?s smile became brighter, ?And I, Valin Horn, am totally head over heels in love with you.?

Awww!!!:D So sweet![face_love]

?Marry me, Tahiri. I can?t imagine??

He didn?t get a chance to finish; she let out a delighted squeal and crushed his lips with hers. He allowed her to deepen the kiss and relished the flood of happiness he felt coming from her. Finally, when the need for air forced them a part, Valin watched the tears of joy as they slid down her pink cheeks. He laughed and said, ?I assume that was a ?yes?.?

Double awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!![face_love] Me loved it! Brilliant description of her reaction!!!:D

?Mom!? he screamed as Valin turned to witness Tahiri taking another shot in the chest which threw her back into him. He caught her and stared disbelievingly into her emerald green eyes.

:_| That's it, I'm upset!!!! *runs off to find tissues*

I loved this viggie, FL!!! It was really powerful! =D= ;)

[face_chicken]

7. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Wow, I have 5 readers already....

Kidan
    moving and sad.

overall a great job Flowerlady!

Thanks for reading... Glad that you liked it...[face_blush]

JediFalcon
    poor Valin hes so shaken up over this
    Yes, he is. But my goal was to show that he truly loved her and that it will take a long time for him to get over it....

oh and umm I was half way reading through your fic when a rat decided to drop out of the hole in my ceiling at the moment
    ECKKKK! I hate rodents....
    :eek: Hope that you can get rid of it...:p
    more soon
    This was meant to be a one-poster, but the first post to the sequal will be next week, of course depends how DRL goes it may be sooner...:p

BurntTheMacaroni
    Ok since i have to be the oddball of things.. first off

"However, because Valin insisted the Galaxy could not withstand another Booster, especially one that was a Jedi, he and Tahiri named him Terrik."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aint THAT the truth! The Galaxy can barely deal with the one they have!!!
    How did I know you would be the one to pick that one up....If I hadn't come up with Terrik's name long before I ever started posting AHAW, I would have said I named him in honor of you....:D

But, now to the sadness

GOOD GOD FLOWERLADY! I'm all crying and junk. Poor Valin :( That was a greatly written sad story.
    Sorry that I made you cry....But thanks for the compliment....[face_blush]

PRINCESSCAMBRIA
    Very touching.:_| Nicely done. =D= Can't wait till sequel is up![face_dancing]
    Thank you so much for reading....[face_blush]

SITH_MAYO
    :) Amazing!!!:_| In a teary kinda way!!!

?Tahiri, I love you.?

Tahiri?s smile became brighter, ?And I, Valin Horn, am totally head over heels in love with you.?

Awww!!!:D So sweet![face_love]

?Marry me, Tahiri. I can?t imagine??

He didn?t get a chance to finish; she let out a delighted squeal and crushed his lips with hers. He allowed her to deepen the kiss and relished the flood of happiness he felt coming from her. Finally, when the need for air forced them a part, Valin watched the tears of joy as they slid down her pink cheeks. He laughed and said, ?I assume that was a ?yes?.?

Double awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!![face_love] Me loved it! Brilliant description of her reaction!!!:D

?Mom!? he screamed as Valin turned to witness Tahiri taking another shot in the chest which threw her back into him. He caught her and stared disbelievingly into her emerald green eyes.

:_| That's it, I'm upset!!!! *runs off to find tissues*

I loved this viggie, FL!!! It was really powerful! =D= ;)

[face_chicken]

Thank you so much...[face_blush] I'm hoping the sequel receives as many great reviews...

FL @};-

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    :_| She's gone! But they were so cute together when she was alive. [face_love]

Loved Kunra's comment about the mating rituals. If that isn't the most blunt way to say what he thinks... [face_laugh]

Looking forward to more!

9. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Flowerlady- "How did I know you would be the one to pick that one up....If I hadn't come up with Terrik's name long before I ever started posting AHAW, I would have said I named him in honor of you...."

I'm predictable like that :p

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! I feel touched that you would even THINK to say he was named in my honor. Man i feel all warm and fuzzy now [face_blush]

I'm your own personal Terrik Family cheerleader

10. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    That was great but so sad! I didn't like that Tahiri died... I can't wait to read more! Oh and thanks for the pm

11. chaotic-force

chaotic-force Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2006
    Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Valin and Tahiri were incredibly well written. I found myself connecting with Valin after the first few paragraphs. His greif at the end is incredible, I rarely get so cought up in a character that I can really understand his emotions. This was a great fic, but why Tahiri? Sorry, had to whine a little about that. Anyway loved the fic, and can't wait for your next story. and again great job.

12. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Hey I like your Valiri.

13. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I like this pairing - it's unexpected but it works! And Tahiri is only like two years older than him anyway, not a big a deal as people think.

I loved the fic, but it was :_|:_| Poor Valin - but I like how you made his pain real. I was able to sympathize with him :(

More more more!!!

14. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    JadeSolo
    :_| She's gone! But they were so cute together when she was alive. [face_love]
    Thanks. I'm actually glad that folks have taken so well to this pairing. I personally think they could really work.
    And I know. I hated killing Tahiri. But then I don't like killing anyone off...

Loved Kunra's comment about the mating rituals. If that isn't the most blunt way to say what he thinks... [face_laugh]
    Well, since when were the Vong ever subtle. :p
    Looking forward to more!
    Thanks, I'll PM you when I begin posting the sequel..

BurntTheMacaroni
    Flowerlady- "How did I know you would be the one to pick that one up....If I hadn't come up with Terrik's name long before I ever started posting AHAW, I would have said I named him in honor of you...."

I'm predictable like that :p
    Yes, you are but wouldn't have it any other way....:D

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! I feel touched that you would even THINK to say he was named in my honor. Man i feel all warm and fuzzy now [face_blush]

I'm your own personal Terrik Family cheerleader
    And I'm glad...

Alishu06
    That was great but so sad! I didn't like that Tahiri died... I can't wait to read more! Oh and thanks for the pm
    Thanks for reading. Actually, I didn't like that Tahiri died either but I needed her gone so it would make it possible for Valin to get into the mess he gets into in the sequel... Which will shock you all, I'm quite sure...[face_mischief]
    And your welcome... I'll PM you when the sequel goes up...

chaotic-force
    Beautiful, simply beautiful.
    Thank you!!! [face_blush]
    Valin and Tahiri were incredibly well written. I found myself connecting with Valin after the first few paragraphs. His greif at the end is incredible, I rarely get so cought up in a character that I can really understand his emotions. This was a great fic, but why Tahiri? Sorry, had to whine a little about that. Anyway loved the fic, and can't wait for your next story. and again great job.
    Thanks, I love Valin and really wish Profic would have used him more, especially at the end of the NJO books. He was seventeen after all. And yes his grief was very profound, and it will act as a reason for what he does in the sequel (no, he doesn't go Dark Side) but trust me he gets himself into a heap of possible trouble...
    I will PM you when the next fic is posted...
    Thanks...

SilSolo
    Hey I like your Valiri.
    [face_laugh] I like that Valiri... EM.... reminds me of Shag for the Jag/Shawnkyr pairing..

Glad you stopped by to give it a try..

Inara
    I like this pairing - it's unexpected but it works! And Tahiri is only like two years older than him anyway, not a big a deal as people think.
    Nope, I think it is because he is so underused as a character. And yep, it works very well. They were after all friends at the academy and maybe that is what she needed someone who knew her, trusted her but who wasn't afraid of her and her lingering love for Anakin.
    I loved the fic, but it was :_|:_| Poor Valin - but I like how you made his pain real. I was able to sympathize with him :(
    Thank you....
    More more more!!!
    Soon, Soon, Soon!!! :D

FL @};-

15. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    =D= that was a wonderful fic

Tahiri and Valin were so sweet together. I loved their courtship and her death, :_| that was so sad.

Very nice job! keep up the good writing.

16. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Thanks so much for reading...

FL @};-

17. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Just upping this....:D

18. Kissa

Kissa Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2006
    :_| :_| :_|

Very sad.

But good.=D= O:)

19. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Thanks, Kissa...

I know very sad...

FL @};-

20. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Just an up...

FL @};-

21. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Beautiful. =D= I haven't read your other stories but this one is fantastic.

You killed Tahiri . . . :_|

Valin and Tahiri actually aren't so bad together . . . might want to adjust my ships. :p

I'll read your other stories soon. This vig was long but it was worth every moment. I hope your other stories are this good. :)

22. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    rebel_cheese
    Beautiful. =D= I haven't read your other stories but this one is fantastic.
    Thanks...
    You killed Tahiri . . . :_|
    Yes, I mentioned in my response to you in your fic about killing off characters. This decision was tough... but I needed Valin to be single again for the sequel and unfortunately I couldn't have their marriage just fail...So, I made the painful decision to let her go out in a blaze of glory...:(
    Valin and Tahiri actually aren't so bad together . . . might want to adjust my ships. :p
    I really like them together...they to me just seem to fit...
    I'll read your other stories soon. This vig was long but it was worth every moment. I hope your other stories are this good. :)
    I hope that you do....And thanks for reading...[:D]

FL @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.