main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC The Strong Women of Star Wars (NY Times Article)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bazinga'd , Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Sepra likes this.
  3. Geminiwankenobi

Geminiwankenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 10, 2016
    Damn Jedi council forums just totally got called out by New York Times

"
    This plethora of female-friendly “Star Wars” destinations can be fun for men, too, who can find perspectives and analyses that are often overlooked on male-dominated mainstream fan sites. The hosts of “Fangirls Going Rogue” estimate that their listenership is equally split between men and women, and Amanda Ward of “Rebel Grrrl” said her podcast was particularly popular among fathers looking to connect with their daughters over the series.

But not every male “Star Wars” fan is excited about this turn. Sites like the Jedi Council Forums, a bustling message board on TheForce.net, can sometimes marginalize contributions from women. “On the boards, there’s real scorn showed toward shipping as a phenomenon,” said Rachael of “Scavenger’s Hoard.”

In her experience on forums, Ms. Barr said, “a lot of women were called outsiders if we had a different opinion from the mainstream.” Even when most men are welcoming, she said, “all you need is one persistent person to make your experience really bad
    .”

Sepra likes this.
  4. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I caught that and just went, "...Oh."

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Back in the day when I was a mod (such a long time ago), there was quite a few threads and in-thread debates on the topic.

6. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Was that during the prequel days/shortly afterwards? I was too young to be cognizant of anything of the sort at the time, but I'd hazard a guess that what we're seeing now is more of a widespread, mainstream thing, no? Or am I completely off-base?

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I was being a bit sarcastic. I was talking about last year. :)

Sepra likes this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Welcome to the "You and the Rest of Us" club. They're called trolls. What an incredibly inane complaint to have on the Internet, especially when you say the majority treats you well.

Sarge and Dandelo like this.
  9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I was a little surprised by that, too. One person ruins a forum for you? Really?

I think the whole 'women fans of Star Wars' thing is a little more complex than these quote would imply. I got into SW in 1977 when it was just 'Star Wars'. Back then, there were endless articles about how ground-breaking Princess Leia was even though there were practically no other females in the movie. This was the 1970's, so Princess Leia was a Big Deal then. And in SW fanfiction fandom that sprang up whole out of ST fandom it was 95% female writers and editors ( we're talking photocopy and snail-mail days ). For me, it was like, "Guys like Star Wars? Really? Who knew?".

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Criticism of 'shipping is not "marginalizing contributions from women." That's quite the stereotype there. All women ship? No men ship?

2. We have a sexism and hate speech policy and I think it is generally well enforced. Complaints about female characters based solely on the fact that they are women get shot down pretty quickly, as do comments about "political agendas" and such.

Other than that I think the article was really good.

11. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    I am not trying to tarnish or belittle the recent emphasis placed on strong female leads in movies and in written fiction...

but that NY times article reads like a "plant" ...

those of you familiar with journalism and the public relations machines employed by law firms, campaigns, interests/activists groups, etc.. know what I am talking about...Whether contrived or not, the minute a platform like the NY Times focuses on and critiques a trend, that observation becomes politicized (especially in the current political environment)

But apart from that... For me, I don't even look at the recent female leads in Star Wars as anything political. Their placement feels natural and actually contributes to the story and the Star Wars universe. I will wait before commenting on Felicity in Rogue One, but when watching TFA I never thought to myself "wow she can pull it off" or ... "they put a girl in Luke's role instead of a boy" .. it just seemed natural and that stuff never crossed my mind, and the story and film had more depth and richness for it

I actually think news publications or forums making a big deal of the casting decisions for female leads "cheapens" them... it makes their placement look deliberate and political (and even if their casting is deliberate, deliver it in a more subtle natural fashion, and people will forget that)

12. Geminiwankenobi

Feb 10, 2016
    Well about 150 women were once marginalised and eventually pushed out of this place about a year ago

This reaction with popular media happens when discussion of something that mainly women like gets banned in a popular forum I guess.

It probably didn't have sexism behind it though imo.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody has ever been "pushed off" here for being a woman. Full stop.

And assuming sexism over the banning of a topic feeds into stereotypes that are definitely sexist.

14. Geminiwankenobi

Feb 10, 2016
    I don't think it was to do with sexism, i agree and people are not pushed away for being women

the topic which was banned was mainly very popular with women, so I think this may be where the article is stemming from. I think women feel like their voice is taken away maybe

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm a woman, I dislike everything about shipping and don't have any problem with male or female leads. Not everything has to be about men vs women.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm a woman and have not felt that my voice is taken away around here at all, and did not before I became a mod.

The article quotes a few people with complaints, and they definitely do not speak for all women. We do ask that anyone who discusses a topic around here, do so without insinuating or outright stating that people who do not share their views are ignorant or stupid and need to become "enlightened" by another poster's "superior" knowledge. That was the issue, not the topic itself. "Discuss the films, not the fans" is a rule we take seriously here.

People 'ship all the time all across forums as well: Classic Trilogy has Han/Leia, PT has Anakin/Padme, Lit has several, Fanfic has even more. Nobody is marginalized for shipping.

Darth Chiznuk , Deliveranze and EHT like this.
  17. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I quite agree.

18. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Well, no, it's impossible to speak for 50% of the population. We're not a monolith bound together by our synchronizing periods for gods' sake. ;)

It's hard to say that there is no sexism on the JCF. I've seen it. Maybe it's not as blatant as say YouTube, but if there are multiple threads where there are/were bold mod warnings about racism and sexism on specific threads then that means both there's sexism and that the mods are trying to fix it. Which is great, but I mean, you all aren't paid and you're not omniscient and not everyone reports a sexist post.

Not to mention that I think some topics are inherently sexist and the way these topics are hammered over and over on certain threads has the sexist flavor but nothing you can put your finger on.

And hell, we have two people talking about how they hate shipping right here as a good example. In fact, most shipping threads I've gone on tend to be derailed by people who don't like shipping. That's not on the mods or the boards, but it's something to just... think about I guess. A data point.

I do think there is a noticeable difference in the places where women dominate the conversation about Star Wars. That doesn't mean the JCF is bad or the mods are sexist, it just feels like a different world sometimes.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That goes back to my other point...if shipping threads are being derailed by people who don't like shipping, that is about baiting and/or trolling and/or thread derailment, not sexism.

Dislike of shipping does not equal dislike of contributions from women.

I am one of the first to call out sexism, and if I had a dime for every time I have been accused of being overzealous in calling it out, I'd have a lot of dimes. Not that I care, more loose change is always good.

But the larger point is that if this site were really marginalizing contributions from women, we would not have a policy about regulating sexism, and mods would not leave warnings against it,

The topics that are inherently sexist? I'm interested in hearing more.

20. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Oh Anakinfan, you know I know this! You are absolutely the first one to call it out and I agree with what you say 99% of the time. No mod on the boards I go to puts up with sexism. I've been impressed by that since I've come to the boards, I think you guys do a hell of a job.

But IMO and obviously mileage varies, when you can't have a thread about Rey without someone talking about how she's a Mary Sue, or Jyn Erso without the debate about how she was put in there for political correctness (or some variant of this argument) or Ahsoka's only value is she's Dave Filoni's "fetish". And don't even get me started on every thread on Padme Amidala.

And yes, shipping which I do disagree on. It's not a problem with random baiting and trolling. It's a problem when the topics and parts of fandom that women in this fandom tend to dominate are consistently derailed and trolled. That's a problem with sexism, not just baiting. If every shipping thread is derailed, then that's also an issue with sexism. If most or every female character appreciation thread is derailed while the male character threads aren't, that's a pattern, right? And no, disliking shipping is not sexist. But looking down on it because it's something women are into is. (I don't like threads about legos. I don't have any interest in legos. But I don't go into threads about it and talk about my dislike of them and derail the lego talk. But that happens with shipping all the time.)

I can see how that's frustrating to hear as a mod. I mean, what can anyone even do about that? And I'll grant that my vision is more limited than yours because I can leave a thread while you're stuck policing it, or ignore a user that I find egregious while you have to see what they're posting. So I can get an impression of a sexist thread and never go back and maybe it's resolved, who knows?

But seriously, I come here all the time. I go to the places that I would consider dominated by women. The conversations and interactions are like night and day. I get a lot out of both, but there is a stark difference.

21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    You...sure know how to paint a picture, Sepra. [face_plain]

Sepra likes this.
  22. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

Thank you!!

I don't know if Sepra's post was calling me out or some such, but Anakinfan is quite correct here, some of us just don't like shipping, nothing to do with being sexist or being a misogynistic (which I certainly am not) and the thought that a dislike of shipping just for the sake of it equals sexism boggles the mind.

Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick here.

Edit: re-read Sepra's post, seems to be clear cut, I didn't know people go into shipping threads de-railing them, if that is a problem then it seems to be something that should probably be looked into. Especially if they are saying shipping is "a woman's thing".

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    There's a reason why I don't go into shipping threads and it has nothing to do with sexism. I'm not one to tell random people what they they should do/watch/read or telling them they have bad tastes or whatever. If we're talking about character threads and shipping about that character is mentioned, then yes, both sides should be able to civilly express their opinions without having to resort to childish arguments on both sides.
    And Mary sue criticisms never made any kind of sense to me.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope no one is calling anyone else out specifically in this thread; I think there was some calling out done in the article itself. There was an issue with the behavior of some (not all) users who all subscribed to one particular ship with patronization, condescension, arrogance, passive-aggressiveness and blatant insults directed at people who did not share their view of that ship. It got to the point where there could be no back-and-forth discussion about what users would like to see in upcoming movies and whether the ship would benefit the franchise; any dissension was met with several versions of 'you are a childish idiot who knows nothing about storytelling so read our metas and STFU'. Topics which cannot be discussed without that constant attitude will become disallowed for the sake of the peace and civility of the site, regardless of what the topic is, the Senate Floor forum being the exception.

That's not an issue with that particular ship or shipping itself.

I get what Sepra is saying; there are complaints about female characters that are not made about male characters, and while "Mary Sue" and "political correctness" terms are actionable, not all complaints are, whether the same complaints would he made about a male character or not. That's the nature of society itself unfortunately; we have not evolved to the point where female characters are viewed the same way and held to the same standards.

25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Whats funny (or not), is that my original intent in posting the link was informational only, but here we are talking about shipping and other related items.

Sepra and Dandelo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.