main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The ST's Post-Structuralist View Of The Force

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by IG_2000, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I believe The Last Jedi (and to a lesser extent, The Force Awakens) have effectively saved the Force from becoming utterly boring.

What did we learn about The Force originally? It's an energy field that surrounds us, penetrates us. With faith, anything is possible.

What 30 plus years of Expanded Universe literature and the Prequel Trilogy tell us about the Force?

"Well, if you become a Sith Lord you have Force Choke right from the get-go. As you level up you can shoot lightning from your fingertips!"

How many times are we gonna see a Jedi just simply use the Force as a battering ram and that's it? Maybe jump a little higher? Wave their hand to confuse an opponent? All because these are the only things we've seen in the original trilogy. That's just a very limited scope.

We're entering the Force Rennaisance era as we've seen:

1. Kylo Ren completely immobilizing matter in space... enemy combatants and laser beams.
    2. Mind probing.
    3. Mind melding.
    4. Astral projections.
    5. Battle meditation (Rey vs Kylo on Starkiller Base, though you can say this harkens back to Luke deflecting shots while blinded.)
    6. Snoke causing all of Rey's nerve endings to erupt in agony.
    7. Changing the weather, summoning lightning bolts from the sky (Yoda on Ach-To)
    8. Physical matter being transported across the Galaxy (water drops on Kylo Ren after his conversation with Rey)

There's a specific passage back in Shadows of the Empire that gets it right: something to the effect that with the Force, Vader could easily just stop someone's heart from beating, or snap their spine, or any number of things to kill his enemies. He just finds personal pleasure in strangling his enemies to death. That's his trademark. In the context of Return of the Jedi, Palpatine wanted to give Luke a slow, painful death. So he uses Force lightning. Suddenly, EVERYTHING is force choke and force lightning. Which was encapsulated in that Savage Opress training montage in The Clone Wars season 3, which essentially just amounted to Savage using Force Grip while Count Dooku shocked him.

The point I'm trying to make? There's no such thing as "Force powers". It's all a load of BS. "It's so much more". When people bitch and moan about Rey being a "Mary Sue" because she bypassed How To Lift Stuff 101... I think that's just an element of Star Wars that got lost in time. Yoda NEVER taught Luke how to use a lightsaber, or how to lift rocks. He just taught Luke to LET GO and let the rest happen naturally.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2017
  2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Leia is now the most powerful Force user by far. No one has come close to achieving resurrection from the dead. Much less flying through space.

And yet, she will die off screen before episode nine and even starts! Ridiculous.

WatTamborWoo, FN-2187 and Blastaar like this.
  3. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008

I don't really understand what you're trying to get at here.

Everyone dies at some point and immortality as a Force ghost is one of the biggest tenets of the entire Star Wars mythology? Somehow pulling yourself through space to save yourself after narrowly escaping death makes you "the most powerful force user ever"?

"Most powerful force user" and Power Scaling bull**** is emblematic of what I'm talking about. Star Wars and the philosophies that informed The Force teach us that we all have equal potential.

4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    She wasn’t dead. It was only a flesh wound. I can only imagine the frostbite.

Satipo and WatTamborWoo like this.
  5. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Where do you get that she was dead? And pulling ones self through empty vacuum is a different thing than flying.

6. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I don't think these are as new as you're saying. The EU had a lot of zany force powers from what I remember.

bluealien1 likes this.
  7. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    [​IMG]

8. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Is that for real?

9. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Its depressing that it actually seems like something that moron would actually tweet.

Satipo, Seagoat, Darth-Seldon and 6 others like this.
  10. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    So wait - she survived direct missilefire from multiple Tie fighters?? The missiles literally exploded in the very room she was in and you believe she survived that? And that was before being launched into space.

11. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    She didn't look blown apart, to me. Just looked like she was sucked out into vacuum and knocked cold for a few seconds. Someone can survive vacuum for longer than a few seconds.

12. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    As Hitch would say, it’s only a movie. Love your username btw. I remember finding it very intriguing back in the day of the prequels when I was Prince Espaa Valorum. Wth does it mean?

13. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Same answer as above.

14. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Au contraire. Maul survived being sliced in half by "his hate and will to survive" and got a fancy set of spider legs to boot!

15. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    I never said she was dismembered. But to think she could survive direct fire and explosion in the very room she was standing and seems quite implausible. And then following that she is sent into the vacuum of space with no oxygen and beyond freezing temperatures. Seems quite logical that she would be dead.

Ha ha. I take "it's only a movie" to mean that we have to Suspend belief to accept that scene.

Nice to see someone here from the old days. I really miss those times. Especially now! LOL. Green Destiny was the sword at the center of the plot in the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Not unless Donald Trump reads Green_Destiny_Sword posts on here. Besides I doubt Trump would tweet anything about Star Wars considering he poked fun at Obama for saying he was going to watch Force Awakens when Trump felt there should be more pressing issues for the president to worry about.

17. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Its plausible that Arnold Schwarzenegger can do the same thing in every movie he made in the first fifteen years of his career?

18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Yes, there are new Force powers, and it was about time.

19. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Frostbite? Where did the heat go?

20. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    [Mods- Edit option isn't acting right]

And someone can survive in the vacuum of space for a few minutes. Its cold but it won't kill you right away. Don't believe the old 'exploding people' line Sci-fi used to feed you.

21. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    I can actually get behind this concept more now.

Nate787 likes this.
  22. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

"that scene"

23. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    In that regard - you're right. In this new Star Wars created by Johnson, anything goes. Hence Leia now being the most powerful force user.

24. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the most powerful force user ever. You heard it here, first, folks. :p

Master_Lok and CowMoo like this.
  25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Leia pulled her 75 kg through 300 meters.

Yoda and other Jedi have done way more overpower stuff.

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.