main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The stupidity surrounding Palpatines emergency powers

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JM-Yoda, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM-Yoda

JM-Yoda Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    Firstly, I would just like to say there are two painstakingly stupid blunders made concerning the whole handling of the affair with granting Palpatines emergency powers, and both are found in one line following another.

Palpatine - But what senator have the courage to propose such a radical ammendment?

Well it doesn't seem like anybody is that reserved about it when the proposal is suggested. Surely with so many hundreds of supportive senators it wouldn't have been this long for one of them to put forward that notion.

Blue beaurocrat fella - If only senator amidala were here.

WHAT? The biggest mistake by far - Padme has been working AGAINST the creation of an army for the republic - why on EARTH would she change her mind so quickly. Watch the deleted scene on the DVD and you will realise just how stupid a bit of scripting this was - surely everyone (including the jedi) in the room would have realised how ridiculous a thing this was to suggest.

2. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    They're both playing Jar jar, surely you can see that.

3. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    They are trying to get Jar Jar to believe he is doing what Padmé would have wanted were she there. Obviously they are lying, but Jar Jar is easily decieved (perhaps a mind trick was used, he is weak minded after all). I bet Padmé was none to pleased when she got back though ;)

Padmé: Damn it Jar Jar, I leave you in charge for 3 freakin days and you cause a war across the galaxy! :mad:

:p

4. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    it was all Jar Jar fault...he placed the vote on behalf on Padme...but palpatine is the master...some nice little tricks there to convince Jar Jar..

5. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Also, Padme may have been initially opposed to the army. But in this instance, Jedi's lives were at stake and it had just been proven how much of a threat the Seperatists could actually be.

Remember TPM, even Padme knew when to stop the chitchat and get into "aggressive negotiations".

- O_F

6. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Palpatine didn't want the proposal to come from one of his political allies as it wouldn't be as effective. If it came from a senator who had originally opposed the military creation it would carry more weight in the senate. Remember that, while Amidala had steadfastly opposed the military act, new information has just come to light that the separatists have gained more support and are working to create a huge droid army. That might sway someone who had opposed the military act to now support it, and propose emergency powers.

7. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Palpatine didn't want the proposal to come from one of his political allies as it wouldn't be as effective.

Yep. Mas Amedda calls it right. Padme would be probably the most effective, since she was working against the MCA. She feared that if the Separatists felt threatened it would lead to civil war. But now that the Separatists were preparing for war, the Republic couldn't just stand there. Preemptive was the solution. Anakin even asked her, what happened to the diplomatic solution. Padme clearly took only the only other option.

8. JM-Yoda

JM-Yoda Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    Ok I understand about them playing Jar Jar, I picked up on that, but surely the others in the room must have got a bit suspicious about this. Yoda and Mace particularly, seeing as how Jar Jar is in the room and he is the one who makes the proposition. Also, wouldn't Bail have had a few things to say about suggesting Padme?

9. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    Padme opposed the military creation because she feared it would inevitably lead to war. However, with the information Obi-Wan had just discovered regarding the separatists creating a droid army, a peaceful solution was unlikely. As Obi_Frans, and openmind mention above, Padme wasn't opposed to using force when necessary, and Mace and Yoda obviously believed it was necessary since hundreds of Jedi were sent to Geonosis to stop the separatists.

10. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The Jedi don't get involved with politics, so it's unlikely they would have challenged Palpatine on the point.

As for Bail Organa, it's not a given that he would have spoken for Padme (it wasn't his place), and Jar Jar said nothing so it's possible they didn't know what he was thinking, though they may have been curious why he didn't speak up to defend the senator's position.

11. plddc1

plddc1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2005
    Here's one I've never figured out: At the beginning, Padme is part of "the Loyalist committee," but when Anakin is ordered to take her to Naboo, she's "the leader of the opposition." Er . . . which one is it?

12. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    The "Opposition party" opposes the creation of an army of the Republic.

The "Loyalist committee" are about staying loyal to the Republic, I think.

13. jawaavenger

jawaavenger Jedi Master star 2

Mar 8, 2005
    As said before Palpatine probably used a mind trick to infulence Jar Jar. As for the Jedi, it seems they were almost for it. Yoda and Mace were both present when Palpatine said he would create clone army. I think Mace said "It is done then" As for the Senate, I think by that time Palpatine had most of the Senate under his control anyway. So no one would really object.

14. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    The "Opposition party" opposes the creation of an army of the Republic.

The "Loyalist committee" are about staying loyal to the Republic, I think.

Don't think?feel :cool: You are correct. Padme is a Loyalist but against the MCA (Military Creation Act) . Both are not exclusive to each other.

15. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Do we know what position the Chancellor takes on the 'Grand Army of The Republic' before the 'growing threat of the Separatists", and Jar Jar's 'intervention'?

I would think that he 'opposes' it, given his rather 'moving' aceptance speech in AOTC.

16. why-whynot

why-whynot Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2005
    Palpatine obviously wants the powers in order to set up a huge personal army with which he can rule the galaxy. He has been plotting this for a long time.

17. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

How does the senate work? Did they actually vote on the issue? Jar Jar had just proposed the bill and suddenly Palpy ordered a whole army. There was never any vote.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think the applause indicated it would pass overwhelmingly. Many senatorial bodies have voice vote if it seems the measure will pass by a wide margin.

All we really needed to hear was the applause. That indicated that the measure was very popular.

19. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    [Winston_Sith]: "Do we know what position the Chancellor takes on the 'Grand Army of The Republic' before the 'growing threat of the Separatists", and Jar Jar's 'intervention'?

I would think that he 'opposes' it, given his rather 'moving' aceptance speech in AOTC."

I'm not sure that we can assume that he is opposed to the creation of a Republican army. He certainly seems "reluctant" to support the motion for emergency powers, but that's not the same thing.

As for the vote, it probably took place off screen. See here for further discussion.

20. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    Palpatine - But what senator have the courage to propose such a radical ammendment?

Blue beaurocrat fella - If only senator amidala were here.

Apart from the love scenes, this is the most embarassing moment in the movie. I remember at the opening of this movie in my home town someone in the theater shouted "If only bicycle repair man was here," which I think really hit the nail on the head about this scene.

Say what you will about Lucas, but subtle he aint.

21. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    How does the senate work? Did they actually vote on the issue?

I think it's well established by now that the Senate votes with an applause-o-meter.

:p

22. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    I think it would have bogged down things a little when already all you hear is "Palpatine, Palpatine", and then they say "now, let's go for the vote".

Whereas its very clear and obvious Palpatine gets his mandate.

23. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Many politicions would likely be willing to lend their support to the amendment, but few would have the guts to introduce it in the first place. It is much easier politically to go along with the crowd instead of standing on your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.